Fix StarMade, Release the frakkin API!

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Your idea has merit, though that line there is the line that kills your idea. If it was not a complete "light" API, you would have people here raging, complaining that Schine has added yet another incomplete feature to StarMade.
    I agree, You'll always have that. Nothing is perfect. The world is built on good enough for a reason. Admins and developers can deal with some ambiguity. For most of the features if you simply follow what you need as a character then you just look at the UI to figure out what you need. I accept buggy features, and incomplete API as it is an alpha.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    We still have people raging about incomplete shipyards, and dozens of other features. Schine is not one to wait until everything is perfect then release it, they release things and then build on them over time (sometimes a very long time).

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    We still have people raging about incomplete shipyards, and dozens of other features. Schine is not one to wait until everything is perfect then release it, they release things and then build on them over time (sometimes a very long time).
    Yeah, we all get that.

But my point above was that the OP of this thread was railing against Schine adding more incomplete features. To add something that would give the OP what he wants, but still be incomplete, is the very definition of irony.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Its definitely irony. I just want something productive out of this despite the vitrol in the thread. The problem I see is that ShadowPilot was right on some things, and Bench, and AndyP are right as well. I think there's a middle ground between both and that's what I proposed, as it helps all of this.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Its definitely irony. I just want something productive out of this despite the vitrol in the thread. The problem I see is that ShadowPilot was right on some things, and Bench, and AndyP are right as well. I think there's a middle ground between both and that's what I proposed, as it helps all of this.
    The OP was right except on the timing. No one argued that an API wouldn't do good things for the game.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    If I would only know what API does mean...
    Probably something with mods ?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah I know what its used for hough not what it is exactly. Sort of a universal docker that stands between the engine and the mod I guess.

It's pretty hard to take away anything positive in this thread because nothing was added. The OP said some stuff that others have said before and then the devs said a lot of stuff that they've said before. We are literally in the same place we started. Perhaps we can all be a little more patient and a tad less quick to pull our guns perhaps.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Yeah I know what its used for hough not what it is exactly. Sort of a universal docker that stands between the engine and the mod I guess.

It's pretty hard to take away anything positive in this thread because nothing was added. The OP said some stuff that others have said before and then the devs said a lot of stuff that they've said before. We are literally in the same place we started. Perhaps we can all be a little more patient and a tad less quick to pull our guns perhaps.
    Not sure what you expected considering how the thread started. Most folks were more than patient, however.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Your idea has merit, though that line there is the line that kills your idea. If it was not a complete "light" API, you would have people here raging, complaining that Schine has added yet another incomplete feature to StarMade.
    But "incomplete" doesn't have to mean "crappy and useless/broken." The fleet system is incomplete. The galaxy revamp is incomplete. The logic system will probably recieve more expansions as we go on. Shipyards are still incomplete (but functional now) seeing as they will eventually auto-craft from factories. etc.

Compare Starmote which got abandoned, the NPC crew system which was thrown in and left useless, the particle system which is already in the game but that Schema never actually added to the weapons despite it being promised, etc.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    But "incomplete" doesn't have to mean "crappy and useless/broken." The fleet system is incomplete. The galaxy revamp is incomplete. The logic system will probably recieve more expansions as we go on. Shipyards are still incomplete (but functional now) seeing as they will eventually auto-craft from factories. etc.

Compare Starmote which got abandoned, the NPC crew system which was thrown in and left useless, the particle system which is already in the game but that Schema never actually added to the weapons despite it being promised, etc.
    Yes, and some people can/will make the distinction between incomplete and "incomplete and broken/useless", while others can/will not. Which category do you think the OP is in? There will be enough people in the latter category that you would hear complaints here on the forums.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Now we're learning a hard lesson, don't troll my topics. I can reciprocate.
    Lol, your whole posts and arguments are a troll.
    It's not really complicated to understand the Schine's explanations. Schine answered to you ! What the hell do you think a some months' player is better placed to say what's wrong in their game ?

I think you're 15, this is obvious.

------------
    OK anybody (except him) please excuse me for this xD

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Wasn't this overhauled a month or two ago?
    It was. I mean previously to that. I'm also aware that NPC revamps are coming, the particle system will eventually be integrated, etc. I was just saying.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Whew! That was a lot to read. However, the OP is still an idiot. Especially with the insults with ADHD. That's something you don't joke about, on par with some person needing medication to keep on living. I'm sure some folks here can empathize with that (family members, friends, etc).

And now for my 2 credits:

The OP was asking/demanding for an API in Alpha. Say, how does that work again if the game is in a fluid state still? Hello? Did that person not get the point that Schine was one person for a long time? And it hasn't exploded into a big mega-game studio? Comparing it to one is absurd at best and criminal at worst. Baka.

P.S. Not sure where the OP learned "Engrish" but is it not common to capitalize names? Like Thadious, Gasboy, ZektorSK (nice banner!), or even Bench? And exceptions for those who do not capitalize their name, it's cool with me.

Example: nightrune, I would not capitalize your name, even if it's the start of a sentence. Because duh, it's your name. nightrune. ;) It's like saying "The Batman," where "Batman" is the common saying of Batsy's name. :p

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Application Program Interface.

Basically, its a standardized set of programming calls that allow modders to interface with the game in a controlled and uniform way.

Think of it sort of along the lines of instead of a modder having to go in and directly change a stored value for something in order to make a mod, they would use the API to "ask" the interface to make the change for them. The modder wouldn't have to know where in the code the spot they were changing was, or how many instances of it were in the code that needed changing, the API would handle all of that for them.

For a really simple version, in programming we consider it good practice to declare global constants at the start of the program, and then refer back to that.

So lets say we wanted to make cannons do a default 2 damage per shot, we could simply do "= 2 + X" for all the different combinations of weapons, but that would mean if we ever wanted to change it later we'd have to stop and search through all of the code for every single instance of "2" in order to find them all. Or we could set a global constant at the start of "CannonDamage = 2" and then use "= CannonDamage + X" everywhere. Then if we ever wanted to change the base cannon damage, we only have to change that first declaration of "CannonDamage = 2" to "CannonDamage = 3" and everything else in the code would update around that for us.

Thats kind of what an API is. Its a wrapper that says "Okay, you can't have access to the raw code, that would be silly. You might break something. But here, here's where you can say CannonDamage.SetValue 2 and then I'll go find where that is in the code and update it for you." It lets you have the ability to make changes, but only in approved ways and in approved areas.