Fix StarMade, Release the frakkin API!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Thank you for explaining and answering my question AndyP, essentially there is no end to content creation so we can pretty much assure that we won't be getting an API since there is no definitive end to the Alpha "Content" cycle.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459436993,1459436803][/DOUBLEPOST]Edy, refer to Andy's response he did in fact state they do not know the end. That they have a load of planned content but
    Oh we'll get an API they just don't know when a given stage of development is going to end yet there's a big difference. >_>

Reaction score
    We have a plan how far we will go for the game, and it will need some time.
    Possibly take a look here: Starmade Roadmap.
    In general we know what feature we want to implement, and use suggestions as guidelines and inspiration on how we can improve our idea of the feature.

Like, back when we wanted to add FTL, we had the general idea to allow some form of jumping around and not having to fly every single meter with the ships. From sci-fi games and personal opinion, jump drives and warpgates were equal solutions.

While the jumpdrive would be more flexible, it would need sane restrictions to make it not

replace flying around in total.
    However warpgates allowing a "networking" and establishing routes between systems/universes were also appealing to have.
    The suggestions back then, showed both were theorized and had 'fans' for the mechanic.
    So if we had only warpgate suggestions back then, we possibly would have discarded the "jump drive".
    So both were added, keeping both systems and their use cases covered. (flexible short range, long range as infrastructure)

So suggestions are guidelines and good sources for improvements and inspiration for things we are going to plan.
    They do not actually drive the development focus, but get a good weight in it. (However some suggestions look good, but cant be considered as "upcoming" features cover them already)

- Andy
    Which the roadmap would be great if the development actually stuck to it. However, I've noticed that features are being implemented that aren't even on the roadmap which just goes to show that the development is not precisely following it and there's no way to tell how close we actually are to end of alpha.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Apparently every one of you hot aired knucklehead fan boys have missed the point. In complaining and defending Schine for their small dev team you all have made my point even more valid.

Their dev team would expand if they would release the API. Not only would they have modders writing code, but Devs from other games as well. How else was ARES mod created? How has it remained so stable and without need for updating over the past 10 releases? The argument that Mods can't survive Schines update cycle is bogus. The ARES Server has been up nonstop for the last six months. The only thing we need is the tools to integrate it with newly loaded sectors and we can't do that without an API.

I implore you to look at all of your aggressively defensive immature responses and recognize a pattern. That pattern being they could outsource the labor without it affecting the vanilla game. For the features they like they can refer to the modder/dev of the mod to integrate his coding into the games engine. Wallah new features done by hundreds rather than 3 devs. Again the problem lies in the Ego of Schine wanting all the credit rather than collaborating the ideas people have come up with (Other than a suggestions forum where an idea is lucky to be discussed with the dev team and rarely ever implemented) and integrating already working coding from Jeryia and Megacrafter into the base game.

*queue responses from people who halfass attempt to understand a discussion before replying, picking apart one sentence of the whole thing to stroke their frail self confidence. Further thinking that defending the dev team will earn them perks*

Sorry folks criticism is what gets things done and drives capitalistic innovation. If we all stroked innovators softly they would never have the drive to go further than ever.
    Because Ares is a server wrapper and the developer DOES update it everytime. For example he is thinking about how to incorporate AI fleets.
    You can't seem to understand basic principles of development. I doubt there are many if any games out there that routinely rely on the community to update it and help it save old games mainly effected by the death of GameSpy.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Like, back when we wanted to add FTL, we had the general idea to allow some form of jumping around and not having to fly every single meter with the ships. From sci-fi games and personal opinion, jump drives and warpgates were equal solutions.
    While the jumpdrive would be more flexible, it would need sane restrictions to make it not replace flying around in total.
    However warpgates allowing a "networking" and establishing routes between systems/universes were also appealing to have.
    The suggestions back then, showed both were theorized and had 'fans' for the mechanic.
    So if we had only warpgate suggestions back then, we possibly would have discarded the "jump drive".
    So both were added, keeping both systems and their use cases covered. (flexible short range, long range as infrastructure)
    Off-topic here, but didn't most of the forum suggestions ask for a warp/hyperspace drive á la Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, etc.? Whatever made you guys decide to put that off for eventual implementation as a capital ship system rather than as the standard form of FTL in the game?

Reaction score
    The older versions of ARES run on updated servers. If it could be fully integrated outside of a Wrapper it would do so much more.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    The older versions of ARES run on updated servers. If it could be fully integrated outside of a Wrapper it would do so much more.
    There are literally 2 servers. The dev server and the ARES 24/7 hosted by Atlas.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Nauvran, if you're incapable of connecting a conversation without the use of quotes or remembering your own statements you need to look beyond Starmade and invest in some Ritalin or Adderall
    It simply makes it easier for everyone to know who your comment is aimed at.
    Besides it can also be used to show exactly what your comments are aimed it, it's not just for me but for everyone to be sure we know what you're saying so we can avoid misunderstandings.
    But it seems like you're incapable of understanding how to create a conversation on a forum that everyone is able to understand without those annoying misunderstandings that happens from time to time.

Reaction score
    Correct but Ares itself is confined to sectora set within the config whereas we're trying to have it to where ARES is implemented across all sectors loaded but can't do so with current restrictions.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Which the roadmap would be great if the development actually stuck to it. However, I've noticed that features are being implemented that aren't even on the roadmap which just goes to show that the development is not precisely following it and there's no way to tell how close we actually are to end of alpha.
    We actually stick to it,
    the current fleet systems are frameworks for systems that build upon them.
    Starting with stellar diversity, npc factions and other faction management systems.

Its a bit like with shipyards:

- buy by block was one step toward them
    - blueprint meta-items another
    - rails were also added to be used by them, as the regular docking caused a lot of trouble with them

The shipyard itself was the tip of a pile of functions that had to be worked out to make them become part of the game.

However, we cannot fully plan ahead every single detail.
    The old AI was ship based/focused, and making it fly in formations or keep them together was kind of hard, to add (AI-)fleets that actually serve a purpose the AI had to move up one level from ship AI to fleet AI.
    Those problems or detours arise when actually implementing stuff to the next goal, and sometimes it just more convenient to overhaul a side system, than trying build something on sand pillars which can fall apart any time.

- Andy

Reaction score
    I've yet to see a misunderstanding yet, just the typical nauvran finding something to pick at in hopes of feeling superior to those who can utilize common sense and put responses to statements.

I'm telling ya, Adderall is your best friend

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmmm...
    • Signed up during a winter break
    • Doesn't understand programming or business, but thinks he does and can't be convinced otherwise
    • Resorts to personal attacks when there is no solid defense for his stance
    • Has not bought the game
    • Still articulate enough to string multiple sentences together
    I'm thinking... 15?

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I've yet to see a misunderstanding yet, just the typical nauvran finding something to pick at in hopes of feeling superior to those who can utilize common sense and put responses to statements.

I'm telling ya, Adderall is your best friend
    Typical ShadowPilot that doesn't know how to capitalize the first letter in a name and feels like he needs to shit on everyone that ever said anything to him that he does not approve of or in any way corrected him.
    I'm just telling you it would make it easier for some people if you fully use what tools this forum has. No need to get all hostile towards me.

Reaction score
    We actually stick to it,
    the current fleet systems are frameworks for systems that build upon them.
    Starting with stellar diversity, npc factions and other faction management systems.

Its a bit like with shipyards:

- buy by block was one step toward them
    - blueprint meta-items another
    - rails were also added to be used by them, as the regular docking caused a lot of trouble with them

The shipyard itself was the tip of a pile of functions that had to be worked out to make them become part of the game.

However, we cannot fully plan ahead every single detail.
    The old AI was ship based/focused, and making it fly in formations or keep them together was kind of hard, to add (AI-)fleets that actually serve a purpose the AI had to move up one level from ship AI to fleet AI.
    Those problems or detours arise when actually implementing stuff to the next goal, and sometimes it just more convenient to overhaul a side system, than trying build something on sand pillars which can fall apart any time.

- Andy
    Completely understood, some of the instances I'm referring to are about a year and a half ago when schema introduced faction ranks to the faction block then promised to update the permissions block to a by rank system which we have yet to see. So far its just a by faction and public permission block.

Development has bounced around alot in areas which is why its hard to follow progress towards the alpha-end. Much like fleets took precedence over fauna though fauna was on the in development portion for 2 months prior to fleets
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459439203,1459438782][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry I follow school teachings where I only capitalize names of proper nouns or beginnings of sentences. Since you're incapable of thinking for yourself I consider you as a part of collective trolls <--- notice i didn't capitalize troll either.

Edy careful alot of kids like nauvran, lecic, and flyingdebris will be offended by your generalization of their age group.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You have to build the groundwork of the building before you build the rest of it. It is the same with any program or game as well. They aren't jumping around at all actually they are building the groundwork of each of the things displayed on the roadmap. That said it'd be nice to see some of these sub systems listed out under the things that need them. XD

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Completely understood, some of the instances I'm referring to are about a year and a half ago when schema introduced faction ranks to the faction block then promised to update the permissions block to a by rank system which we have yet to see. So far its just a by faction and public permission block.

Development has bounced around alot in areas which is why its hard to follow progress towards the alpha-end. Much like fleets took precedence over fauna though fauna was on the in development portion for 2 months prior to fleets
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459439203,1459438782][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry I follow school teachings where I only capitalize names of proper nouns or beginnings of sentences. Since you're incapable of thinking for yourself I consider you as a part of collective trolls <--- notice i didn't capitalize troll either.

Edy careful alot of kids like nauvran, lecic, and flyingdebris will be offended by your generalization of their age group.
    Normally you would capitalize the first letter in any name no matter where it is. I guess someone didn't follow up properly in school.
    I'm more than capable of thinking for myself, you on the other hand I'm not so sure about, at least not with how you are considering me to be a troll, yes I do try to have fun a few times but I am not trying to "troll" anyone.

Kids? watch what you say little boy.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Given the release scheduke, a modding API is hardly a good idea at the moment. Blackhawk, Redalert, or whoever's alt Shadowpilot is, you need to calm down the shit talking a little bit.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    ooohh you were referring to the funny ratings I gave you, yes you see, the funny rating is used whenever you find something to be fun. In this case you are behaving like a jester or clown of sorts, most of what you say just make me laugh and therefore I rated your posts as funny. Oh and did you notice I didn't rate any of your serious posts funny?

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    In English, we capitalize words that are proper nouns—that is, they describe a specific thing or entity. They could be a title, a name, or a specific place such as the president's residence: [THE White House]

Again you're too basic to be capitalized as an individual. You dont engrish much do you.
    So what you are saying is that you are basically just an asshole that does nothing but shit on people because you think they are "basic"?

Reactions: Edymnion
    Reaction score
    Flyingdebris do I need to add you to steam so you'll stop your baseless accusations? Just about anyone that can properly make a retaliatory statement you refer to as Blackhawk. Are you that scared of him that you fear he's always lurking as someone else?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459440072,1459440016][/DOUBLEPOST]What I'm saying is that if you attack me, I attack back.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Flyingdebris do I need to add you to steam so you'll stop your baseless accusations? Just about anyone that can properly make a retaliatory statement you refer to as Blackhawk. Are you that scared of him that you fear he's always lurking as someone else?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1459440072,1459440016][/DOUBLEPOST]What I'm saying is that if you attack me, I attack back.
    Funny, I haven't attacked you. I have only asked if you're saying what I think you are saying.
    And enough of this, we are not getting anywhere with people like you