Filter Blocks (only render X, only remove X)

Reaction score
    Would be nice if there was an option to set a filter so that only blocks of a specific type are rendered. Sometimes when digging around inside a large ship, I'll want to rearrange the interiors. This is incredibly difficult when the interior is a solid mass of modules, and by deleting or placing one single power generator you can mess up your entire power system.

Would also be nice if you could use the remove tool to only remove a specific type of block - for similar reasons listed above. Say I want to replace all my AMCs with d-1000s, being able to remove large chunks of AMC without affecting power and shields would be a real time-saver.

EDIT

Seems something similar has been implemented (at least so far as a block removal feature), so it'd be nice to see this feature be a little more user-friendly. Categories would be a good start, so instead of looking through a list of 400 items you can separate them by category (hull, modules, terrain etc at least).

I'd also like to see a 'reverse action' feature, where instead of only removing one block type, only one block type is NOT removed so by setting it to, say, power generators you could remove everything around the generators quickly without having to select every other block type in the ship.

I don't doubt that a streamlining of the block filter is already in the works, but it can't hurt to suggest improvements anyway.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Malacodor
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'd like to bump this.

Put it in advanced build mode and bind a hotkey to select a block type to remove / replace / filter. Maybe also add an option to select a radius of blocks that are filtered, or just all adjacent blocks to the one selected.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hello I support this idea 100% I once suggested something similar, but the old thread is dead long ago and maybe my thoughts may interest you
    I thinked about a nice addition to the current build mode maybe it can fit with your suggestion.
    It would be nice to have a full list of blocks putted in your ship displayed in the build mode.
    Like:
    Check box grey hull x500
    Check box power generator x50
    If unchecked in this list, the blocks would dissapear from the build view and could not be removed by right-click (not like opened plexdoors), allowing the builder to see what is beyond his hull (or anything else) and can now replace blocks without having to remove the upper layer.
    If you try to put a block on the location of an unselected (invisble) block, you'll just get an error.

I think this would be a pleasant way to design our ship's "engines" and everything inner hull.

Reaction score
    but we need to a solution to avoid this be used as an Xray to get minerals in planets, as for example, terrain blocks always have to be rendered, only working for not natural blocks.

Reaction score
    Whup, people have responded.

Some good ideas here. Hopefully the devs will introduce a feature similar to this.

At this stage I'm not sure that fool-proofing this feature against exploitation is really necessary. Unless I'm much mistaken, you can already place a build block on a planet and mine out the whole thing. Being able to see where the minerals are would just speed up the process. Putting restrictions in place would only impede those who genuinely want to use the tool to help them build things. I can't think of a way to get around the issue highlighted without imposing restrictions, which is something I'd rather not see in a sandbox game - unless completely necessary.

Anywho, keep the replies and ratings coming and we might see this in future.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Whup, people have responded.

Some good ideas here. Hopefully the devs will introduce a feature similar to this.

At this stage I'm not sure that fool-proofing this feature against exploitation is really necessary. Unless I'm much mistaken, you can already place a build block on a planet and mine out the whole thing. Being able to see where the minerals are would just speed up the process. Putting restrictions in place would only impede those who genuinely want to use the tool to help them build things. I can't think of a way to get around the issue highlighted without imposing restrictions, which is something I'd rather not see in a sandbox game - unless completely necessary.

Anywho, keep the replies and ratings coming and we might see this in future.
    Well, changes to build blocks are coming anyway, so people just can't plonk one down on a planet and rip it to shreds, because that is extremely laggy and exploiting.

Reaction score
    but we need to a solution to avoid this be used as an Xray to get minerals in planets, as for example, terrain blocks always have to be rendered, only working for not natural blocks.
    If we do have the ability to build block, but only small amounts, this would be a problem. Otherwise, not really much to worry about.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We're getting this! The devs have spoken, and we are getting a filter for only removing certain blocks.

Reaction score
    i totaly agree with this! easy refits here we come...
    A feature like this has already been implemented. It's not (as far as I remember, I've not played for a while) particularly user-friendly, and there are a couple more features that I'd like to see; but it's extremely useful being able to remove, say, a block of explosive modules and replace them with EMPs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    theres advanced build mode but its a pain knowing exact leanths to cut out

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, there should also be by category (hull, hardened hull, normal hull, glass hull, <color> hull)