Brainstorm This Faction Points as an Abstract Consumable, i.e. Food, Oxygen, and Fuel

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Lets start with the things that give FP in some shape or form.
    1) Fuel Refineries - Cool looking block that that passively generates faction points
    2) Farms - Another set of blocks that generate faction points
    3) Planets - Have a natural generation
    4) Fauna - Maybe farms or quarters with fauna?
    5) Water Refineries - Turning ice into something usable beside water, and engines
    6) Factories - Industry should increase faction points
    7) Possibly keep player logon increase as well.
    8) Trade - Trading and selling to other players generates Faction points? I'd like to encourage this, but it may be op as allies could trade continuously..
    I like this idea, but I'd like you to add some more detail to what you are saying. I have a lot of questions.

I don't understand how you are picturing the farms and refineries. Factories are simple one block constructs. Would a refinery be as well? Or is it more like a warp gate?

If the only currency is FP, then why would I bother building a farm AND a fuel refinery AND a water refinery? Do these blocks have other functions outside of FP generation? (if they do, that's off topic and doesn't need much detail for this thread)

Do these blocks generate FP automatically, or do I have to have an NPC to run them? What would an ideal NPC to Refinery ratio be? 1 NPC for every 50 farm blocks?

If planets generate FP naturally, now do I tap into them? Do I just claim a sector, or do I have to build something on each planet? Can I just put an FP storage tank on the planet, or do I have to put a faction block, or is there some other minimum? Does the amount of FP harvested increase with larger structures attached to the planet?

Do all planet types and sizes generate the same amount of FP?

Faction Point Drain
    1) Having your own ships outside your territory... ... ...

NPCs - NPCs modify the amount of Faction points you get. Specificially if you have no NPCs you only get a fraction of what you would normally, but having a full crew (I'll need to expand on this idea) would give you 100%, then maybe excecptionally happy NPC give 150%... ... ...

Faction Point Storage
    The drains and increases should act like a regen number, and then whatever is left is added or subtracted from your current amount... ... ...

Moving Faction Points
    Factions points that are being moved are stored in normal storage, and are no longer assigned to anyone... ... ...

Faction points are not destroyed when you take a base, ship or planet. In fact they get added to your global count... ... ...
    When you say that faction points can be moved, do they become a block that I can place in my inventory? Or do they get assigned to a cargo storage system? Can I then go pick them up from the cargo? How do I change FP from a number to a cargo and then back to a number? Is there a stack limit when a player picks it up, or does it work like credits?

If FP storage is like a regen number, then I understand you to mean that a planet in Sector 1,1,1 and a planet in Sector 2,2,2 add to one intangible pool of FP for the faction. Why would I need to move FP? Is that only for transfer to a different faction? Can I sell FP to a shop?

Is FP drain for being outside of your territory a base number, or does it scale with the distance you are from your territory? Does the drain go up when you are in enemy space? What if my ship has refineries on it?

If FP drain is tied to ship size, what happens when I undock parts of my ship? What happens when my ship is damaged in battle? What happens when I deconstruct my ship, or expand it? Is the calculation updated immediately, or does it only change when I return to faction territory?

Can I gain FP from a station or planet that is in a system owned by an enemy faction?

How often is FP change calculated? I believe that FP is calculated once an hour, currently. This would have to change if out-of-sector travel is to affect FP.

What happens to a ship that is outside of its territory when FP is reduced to zero? Does the faction immediately get destroyed? Is there a delay to allow players to attempt to fix the problem?

When calculating ships outside of territory, do Bobby ships count? Or is it only player ships? (This is important now that we have fleets.) What if I park my ship and step outside into a non-faction ship? What if I left my territory in a non-faction ship?

When an enemy ship is inside my territory and draining my FP, do they just decrease how much FP I generate or do they completely prevent me from generating FP and actually drain my stockpile? Does the enemy ship have to be active, or can an enemy fly a ship in, park it in a hidden location, and then leave? Do enemy Bobby ships count?

What happens if I place refineries while not a member of a faction?

What if I join the Trade Guild faction or Pirate faction? (I believe this is an upcoming feature)

-----
    Again, lots of questions, but I really like the suggestion.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I want to talk about FP/RP cost and try to narrow down at least a ball park of functional equations. I also don't want to hijack the suggestion.

Anyway, what would be a viable ratio of power generation to FP cost (PG:FP)? 1,000,000:1 seems pretty expensive, but would be properly effective in forcing players to invest in infrastructure and conquests if they need it to fly anything bigger than a shuttle or light miner or fighter. Deploying a 2,000,000e/sec battleship into enemy territory could cost 1,200 FP within 10 minutes if it's using power all-out. Perhaps 10,000,000:1 ratio would be more reasonable. Let's crunch some numbers and get an idea what this might look like at different ratios.

Personally I think that running out of FP should result in loss of HB protection and a flat 50% reduction in power generation. This would cascade into eveything else without requiring tons of coding, and the FP negative player could still limp about.

Also, I would like to see the most powerful source of FP be planets & stations rather than players and NPCs. Just me.
    Well for performance we should probably figure out a tick rate first. I'm thinking 1 hour increments? Or would that be to slow? I'm wondering if instantaneous would be too much?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458786493,1458784979][/DOUBLEPOST]First off that's a lot of questions I'll try to answer them all:

I like this idea, but I'd like you to add some more detail to what you are saying. I have a lot of questions.

I don't understand how you are picturing the farms and refineries. Factories are simple one block constructs. Would a refinery be as well? Or is it more like a warp gate?
    I was imagining them as single blocks that in essence were just cosmetic in nature. Cool animations or possibly showed progress like the cargo blocks.

If the only currency is FP, then why would I bother building a farm AND a fuel refinery AND a water refinery? Do these blocks have other functions outside of FP generation? (if they do, that's off topic and doesn't need much detail for this thread)
    Really no other reason because I wanted to keep it pretty simple. Its more to just add variety in the outpost. I could for see certain areas of the galaxy getting bonuses to specific blocks. Like Refineries get bonuses for being in nebulea, and water refineries get bonuses on frozen planets. Something along those lines.

Do these blocks generate FP automatically, or do I have to have an NPC to run them? What would an ideal NPC to Refinery ratio be? 1 NPC for every 50 farm blocks?
    This is something we should work out, and right now I don't know, but its some value based on size or FP regen potential.

If planets generate FP naturally, now do I tap into them? Do I just claim a sector, or do I have to build something on each planet? Can I just put an FP storage tank on the planet, or do I have to put a faction block, or is there some other minimum? Does the amount of FP harvested increase with larger structures attached to the planet?
    I envision just claiming the planet would do it. I want this to be a per structure thing. Allowing you to create footholds in territories. FP would increase based on the FP blocks you add to it (refineries, water, farms).

A good question? I don't think so, but I don't know off the top of my head how to vary it. I'll have to think about it more or you can suggest a something.

When you say that faction points can be moved, do they become a block that I can place in my inventory? Or do they get assigned to a cargo storage system? Can I then go pick them up from the cargo? How do I change FP from a number to a cargo and then back to a number? Is there a stack limit when a player picks it up, or does it work like credits?
    Yes they become an un-place-able item (maybe place-able? I think that might be weird). Changing it from a number to an item should be done with something akin to connecting a faction module to a storage container there are a lot of subtlies here that we'll likely need to consider. It would act like any other cargo not credits since it represents raw resources. Changing it back into something usable should also be done through the faction module or some type of resource computer.

If FP storage is like a regen number, then I understand you to mean that a planet in Sector 1,1,1 and a planet in Sector 2,2,2 add to one intangible pool of FP for the faction. Why would I need to move FP? Is that only for transfer to a different faction? Can I sell FP to a shop?
    You would need to move FP to sell or give to an ally. I would like to be able to sell it since it makes sense, and gives a direct correlation for other NPC factions and players. You could easily scrap a whole ship sell it and get resources to continue on your adventure or use it to add to your total storage.

Is FP drain for being outside of your territory a base number, or does it scale with the distance you are from your territory? Does the drain go up when you are in enemy space? What if my ship has refineries on it?
    This is a really great question. Its a hard one to balance since I want this to incorporate a single player and nomadic activities. Likely the refineries are going to count against cost you are incuring, but I'd imagine it at some sort of lost. This does need to be quantified.

If FP drain is tied to ship size, what happens when I undock parts of my ship? What happens when my ship is damaged in battle? What happens when I deconstruct my ship, or expand it? Is the calculation updated immediately, or does it only change when I return to faction territory?
    Not ship size, just power draw. So block count doesn't matter, only how much power you used during that tick (Tick is something that was in my head already but I have not mentioned. Its goood this came up. I can clarify the post).

Can I gain FP from a station or planet that is in a system owned by an enemy faction?
    Yes, but you are incurring the cost of the power used in that sector as well.

How often is FP change calculated? I believe that FP is calculated once an hour, currently. This would have to change if out-of-sector travel is to affect FP.
    The current game calculates this out every 24 hours right now. I think it should probably be fast for this method. I as thinking every hour, but it affects what happens at 0...

What happens to a ship that is outside of its territory when FP is reduced to zero? Does the faction immediately get destroyed? Is there a delay to allow players to attempt to fix the problem?
    My original idea was to splint the territory into NPC factions, but possibly this should just happen after time. An idea I've been toying with is while its zero you lose one sector every tick. Slowing inching back towards your home world.

When calculating ships outside of territory, do Bobby ships count? Or is it only player ships? (This is important now that we have fleets.) What if I park my ship and step outside into a non-faction ship? What if I left my territory in a non-faction ship?
    I'll have to ponder on these. This is an edge condition not thought of.

When an enemy ship is inside my territory and draining my FP, do they just decrease how much FP I generate or do they completely prevent me from generating FP and actually drain my stockpile? Does the enemy ship have to be active, or can an enemy fly a ship in, park it in a hidden location, and then leave? Do enemy Bobby ships count?
    I had originally thought that they would just keep decreasing the total, but thats ripe for trolling and abuse, but I really like the idea that it just negates the increase in the area. That actually makes war pretty fun. Since you would have to likely fight long term on multiple fronts to really wear down an enemy. Good idea.

Theres always been a concept in my head that a person is their own faction. This isn't true right now but I think it makes more sense you could own personal ships that add to your faction points and the faction just gets a chunk of those.

What if I join the Trade Guild faction or Pirate faction? (I believe this is an upcoming feature)
    Not too sure? Quests to move up the ranks? Eventually able to control them?

-----
    I think I got them all! :D

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable

-----
    These are good questions, but since this is a player-driven brainstorm, not a Q&A session with a dev, suggesting your own answers to these questions would probably be more productive than asking for concrete answers about something that is - right here right now - being brainstormed for the first time and has no concrete answers to anything.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    MacThule , I wanted to give the OP a chance to give his answers before I put mine out there. I didn't want to hijack the discussion or go completely off base. Also the questions are there for everyone to consider, rather than me just jumping in with a bunch of answers to unasked questions.

Well for performance we should probably figure out a tick rate first. I'm thinking 1 hour increments? Or would that be to slow? I'm wondering if instantaneous would be too much?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458786493,1458784979][/DOUBLEPOST]First off that's a lot of questions I'll try to answer them all:

I was imagining them as single blocks that in essence were just cosmetic in nature. Cool animations or possibly showed progress like the cargo blocks.

Really no other reason because I wanted to keep it pretty simple. Its more to just add variety in the outpost. I could for see certain areas of the galaxy getting bonuses to specific blocks. Like Refineries get bonuses for being in nebulea, and water refineries get bonuses on frozen planets. Something along those lines.

This is something we should work out, and right now I don't know, but its some value based on size or FP regen potential.

I envision just claiming the planet would do it. I want this to be a per structure thing. Allowing you to create footholds in territories. FP would increase based on the FP blocks you add to it (refineries, water, farms).

A good question? I don't think so, but I don't know off the top of my head how to vary it. I'll have to think about it more or you can suggest a something.

Yes they become an un-place-able item (maybe place-able? I think that might be weird). Changing it from a number to an item should be done with something akin to connecting a faction module to a storage container there are a lot of subtlies here that we'll likely need to consider. It would act like any other cargo not credits since it represents raw resources. Changing it back into something usable should also be done through the faction module or some type of resource computer.

You would need to move FP to sell or give to an ally. I would like to be able to sell it since it makes sense, and gives a direct correlation for other NPC factions and players. You could easily scrap a whole ship sell it and get resources to continue on your adventure or use it to add to your total storage.

This is a really great question. Its a hard one to balance since I want this to incorporate a single player and nomadic activities. Likely the refineries are going to count against cost you are incuring, but I'd imagine it at some sort of lost. This does need to be quantified.

Not ship size, just power draw. So block count doesn't matter, only how much power you used during that tick (Tick is something that was in my head already but I have not mentioned. Its goood this came up. I can clarify the post).

Yes, but you are incurring the cost of the power used in that sector as well.

The current game calculates this out every 24 hours right now. I think it should probably be fast for this method. I as thinking every hour, but it affects what happens at 0...

My original idea was to splint the territory into NPC factions, but possibly this should just happen after time. An idea I've been toying with is while its zero you lose one sector every tick. Slowing inching back towards your home world.

I'll have to ponder on these. This is an edge condition not thought of.

I had originally thought that they would just keep decreasing the total, but thats ripe for trolling and abuse, but I really like the idea that it just negates the increase in the area. That actually makes war pretty fun. Since you would have to likely fight long term on multiple fronts to really wear down an enemy. Good idea.

Theres always been a concept in my head that a person is their own faction. This isn't true right now but I think it makes more sense you could own personal ships that add to your faction points and the faction just gets a chunk of those.

Not too sure? Quests to move up the ranks? Eventually able to control them?

I think I got them all! :D
    Good answers! You gave me some ideas.

Type of FP Generators:
    I think that having different FP generating devices that are specific to sector features would be a good way to go. Each device does better when placed on a certain type of structure.

Farm = Green (lush) planet
    Water Refinery = Blue (ice) planet
    Foundry = Red (iron) planet
    UV Converter = Station with Red Star
    Ion Reactor = Station with Blue Star
    Etc.

This way a sector will have blocks and structures that match what is available. Another idea close to it is that each type of structure has potential FP generation. Green planets generate high FP for farms and water refinery, mid FP for foundries (metal), and low FP for ion and UV.

Since different FP generators have different recipes, the resources available to a faction encourage settlement in particular structures.

Maybe this is too complicated?

Collecting FP from Planets:
    So you have to claim the planet with a faction block, and then it bumps FP into your pool. If the planet isn't in an owned sector, it costs FP as if it were a ship. But using the above system, placing the right types of FP devices on the planet greatly increases the amount of FP generated. Placing the wrong FP devices only slightly increases the FP generated, possibly costing FP based on power consumption for the generators.

FP Converted to Blocks and Back Again:
    I really don't think this is necessary. It should either always be a block (and something that can be stolen), or it should always be a meta item like credits. You can trade or sell FP through a shop if an ally faction needs help. You can 'steal' FP from an enemy by destroying a faction block associated with a group of FP generators (a reward and penalty for base captures).

If the FP can be converted to blocks, then you can bypass the limit on FP storage. Your faction can be destroyed by having 0 FP in meta form even though you have 100 FP in block form.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer FP to be a weightless, decorative block kept in cargo bays where 1 block represents hundreds of FP. The FP belongs to the faction that owns the structure to which it is docked. If a faction is disbanded by the players (or inactivity), then the FP becomes a treasure that can be claimed. Excess FP can be traded at a shop. FP can be stolen or destroyed by sneaky astronauts. I think this is the best way to go.

FP and Single Players:
    There are 3 travel costs associated with FP drain.
    Allied Territory (including owned territory) = Free
    Neutral territory (includes unclaimed territory) = low charge
    Enemy Territory = High charge

Players are default allied with the Trader's Guild and get free travel inside of Trade Guild territory. If the player joins a different NPC faction they get free travel in those sectors. A player never affects the FP pool or generation of NPC factions (too easy to troll), and a player cannot claim structures or sectors for NPC factions. NPC faction expansion is handled through quest completion. Player factions allied to NPC factions are considered neutral (not allied) territory for the players associated with that NPC faction, and enemies are considered enemies.

Single players, even without a faction, can pool FP up to a hard cap. They earn FP through quests and conquest (stealing FP from a pirate base). If a single player FP pool drops to zero, they take damage over time until their ship astronaut dies (like sun damage). This will give them a chance to return to allied space or turn in a quest.

This allows nomads, but encourages interaction with NPCs. And again, players can't affect the FP of their allied NPC faction even when they are a full member of that faction.

FP Generation and Enemy Invasion:
    It wouldn't make sense for 1 ship to shut down a faction that owns 10 sectors, but if all a ship did was decrease FP generation that would make war a bit difficult. The FP decrease shouldn't be tied to power consumption of a ship - that's easy to abuse with a power plant that constantly shoots stop effect.

A single ship can shut down FP production for the sector it is in. If that sector is highly developed, that can mean a lot of FP lost. A faction can choose to develop in a few sectors and risk the FP generation being shut down easily, or it can spread itself over many sectors and face difficulties in defending its turf.

A Final Thought about FP Calculation:
    If FP usage and generation is only calculated hourly, then a player can explore enemy territory without doing damage to anyone's FP so long as they don't stay for an hour. Likewise they can circumvent FP loss for exploring outside their territory by jumping back home before the tick happens. Blockading an enemy becomes a needlessly-long process, practically not an option.

FP has to be calculated quickly - every 30 seconds or so. I'm not a professional programmer, but I don't think this will be extremely intense.

FP Generators must be tied to a structure claimed by a faction block - here is a list to run through each tick. If FP is a block, then it must be stored in a cargo slot on one of these same structures and anything above storage capacity is deleted.

You only need to run through the list 1 time, then you have numbers that can be used for the next tick without checking the list. If a structure is damaged, destroyed, claimed, or built upon then a flag is set so that next tick the system iterates through the list to update the numbers and the flag reset.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    Thought I would throw this question out to everyone, followed by my answer.

Should multiple types of FP/RP generating blocks be allowed on the same structure?

I personalty would limit stations to one type, and limit each planet plate to one. This allows planets to have a higher value then stations as you can have multiple generation types, and have multiple planets generating the points. Stations, although they wont provide the same amount of FP/RP would likely be much easier to defend then entire planets.

SO you get a trade off between lots of generation vs easy to defend. Risk vs Reward.

What do you guys think?

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Thought I would throw this question out to everyone, followed by my answer.

Should multiple types of FP/RP generating blocks be allowed on the same structure?

I personalty would limit stations to one type, and limit each planet plate to one. This allows planets to have a higher value then stations as you can have multiple generation types, and have multiple planets generating the points. Stations, although they wont provide the same amount of FP/RP would likely be much easier to defend then entire planets.

SO you get a trade off between lots of generation vs easy to defend. Risk vs Reward.

What do you guys think?
    I think this is pretty creative but I'm not sure I want to limit it for a couple of reasons.

1) As a nomadic fleet you'll likely need every type on board. There's nothing really preventing things like water refineries and farms from being onboard a large civilian ship. Really you want both. This goes for ships like Voyager (Star Trek) as well. Cut off and making their way home. Our system should allow these types of interactions as much as rich faction warfare.

2) The same thing applies to most stations. You should probably have most of the same things on each station, but I think bonuses are more likely to help focus a station. So ideas like this I think help a bit more:
    Type of FP Generators:
    I think that having different FP generating devices that are specific to sector features would be a good way to go. Each device does better when placed on a certain type of structure.

Etc.
    3) I think planets are in for a radical change from the murmurs we've heard from the devs. We don't know what those changes are but I would bet on seeing the plates go away.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458833829,1458833680][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm gonna break these out one at a time likely.
    I really don't think this is necessary. It should either always be a block (and something that can be stolen), or it should always be a meta item like credits. You can trade or sell FP through a shop if an ally faction needs help. You can 'steal' FP from an enemy by destroying a faction block associated with a group of FP generators (a reward and penalty for base captures).

If the FP can be converted to blocks, then you can bypass the limit on FP storage. Your faction can be destroyed by having 0 FP in meta form even though you have 100 FP in block form.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer FP to be a weightless, decorative block kept in cargo bays where 1 block represents hundreds of FP. The FP belongs to the faction that owns the structure to which it is docked. If a faction is disbanded by the players (or inactivity), then the FP becomes a treasure that can be claimed. Excess FP can be traded at a shop. FP can be stolen or destroyed by sneaky astronauts. I think this is the best way to go.
    I'm starting to head this way as well. I still want it all connected somehow as I don't want players to have to micromanage where all the resources are. I'm gonna think more on this. My current idea is just slaving storage modules to a faction block.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458833879][/DOUBLEPOST]
    So you have to claim the planet with a faction block, and then it bumps FP into your pool. If the planet isn't in an owned sector, it costs FP as if it were a ship. But using the above system, placing the right types of FP devices on the planet greatly increases the amount of FP generated. Placing the wrong FP devices only slightly increases the FP generated, possibly costing FP based on power consumption for the generators.
    I love this idea.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458834574][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I love this idea.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458834943][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It wouldn't make sense for 1 ship to shut down a faction that owns 10 sectors, but if all a ship did was decrease FP generation that would make war a bit difficult. The FP decrease shouldn't be tied to power consumption of a ship - that's easy to abuse with a power plant that constantly shoots stop effect.

A single ship can shut down FP production for the sector it is in. If that sector is highly developed, that can mean a lot of FP lost. A faction can choose to develop in a few sectors and risk the FP generation being shut down easily, or it can spread itself over many sectors and face difficulties in defending its turf.
    Yeah I like power because its simple, and you can't just sit there in the territory. So first we'll likely change to reducing the regen in the sector based on power.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458835553][/DOUBLEPOST]
    A Final Thought about FP Calculation:
    If FP usage and generation is only calculated hourly, then a player can explore enemy territory without doing damage to anyone's FP so long as they don't stay for an hour. Likewise they can circumvent FP loss for exploring outside their territory by jumping back home before the tick happens. Blockading an enemy becomes a needlessly-long process, practically not an option.
    Really I quite like this, but an hour is long for it. Quick sorties/ don't incur that much of a cost, but a long drawn out war costs. The thing about a long blockade is its likely to be done by AI then. Instead of a player. Players are more likely going to look for active fights and participate and turn them around then blockade.

FP has to be calculated quickly - every 30 seconds or so. I'm not a professional programmer, but I don't think this will be extremely intense.

FP Generators must be tied to a structure claimed by a faction block - here is a list to run through each tick. If FP is a block, then it must be stored in a cargo slot on one of these same structures and anything above storage capacity is deleted.

You only need to run through the list 1 time, then you have numbers that can be used for the next tick without checking the list. If a structure is damaged, destroyed, claimed, or built upon then a flag is set so that next tick the system iterates through the list to update the numbers and the flag reset.
    You could likely cache a lot of things and make the increments and decrements pretty quick. Maybe increases only tick every 30mins or an hour, but decreases can happen all the time.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1458835857][/DOUBLEPOST]I've started a spreadsheet to start basing numbers off of. PM me for edit privileges since I'm allowing people to edit.

Resource Points Balancing

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I like all the thunder in here!

Personally, I think we should avoid suggesting dozens of types of new blocks (for now) that would have to be coded, designed and tested or I strongly doubt the devs are going to want this. Part of the brilliant simplicity of the original idea is that simply OWNING planets, stations and any future class of stationary entity could be a primary mechanism for FP/RP income which would then be used essentially as fuel+air+food all wrapped up together in a simple, streamlined package. The existing Faction Module block can become the FP generating block whenever it's used to claim a stationary entity. Just because new block suggestions, specifically, seem to rarely get tagged for implementation from what I've been seeing in the suggestion forum.

MacThule
    Type of FP Generators:

Etc.

This way a sector will have blocks and structures that match what is available. Another idea close to it is that each type of structure has potential FP generation. Green planets generate high FP for farms and water refinery, mid FP for foundries (metal), and low FP for ion and UV.

Since different FP generators have different recipes, the resources available to a faction encourage settlement in particular structures.
    This is complicated, but I really love it (and it could still be implemented with no additional blocks. Even if the final implementation is more streamlined, I'd love to see different RP sources, and a synchronicity effect so that total RP income increased ever so slightly with a faction's variety of RP sources. So if you're pulling down FP from 1 planet type and a few stations, you might get a +2% bonus to gross RP income. If you had 10 different kinds of RP coming in, that bonus might be more like 10-15%. I also like planets having several times more resource generation than stations, whether that's because of per-plate generation, or simply a straight-out higher yield from entity type.

I agree. Firstly because it keeps it simple. Secondly because performance - more blocks = more processor load.

Players are default allied with the Trader's Guild and get free travel inside of Trade Guild territory. If the player joins a different NPC faction they get free travel in those sectors. A player never affects the FP pool or generation of NPC factions (too easy to troll), and a player cannot claim structures or sectors for NPC factions. NPC faction expansion is handled through quest completion. Player factions allied to NPC factions are considered neutral (not allied) territory for the players associated with that NPC faction, and enemies are considered enemies.

Single players, even without a faction, can pool FP up to a hard cap. They earn FP through quests and conquest (stealing FP from a pirate base). If a single player FP pool drops to zero, they take damage over time until their ship astronaut dies (like sun damage). This will give them a chance to return to allied space or turn in a quest.
    I like this - especially with where the devs are going with NPS & NPC factions. I don't like killing players for no FP. They'd die, then respawn with still no FP and if their respawn point has since become neutral or enemy territory the game would just kill them again. The system would basically spawn-camp them into quitting the game for running out of FP, and I get that (since it represents food & atmosphere as well as fuel), but a lot of this stuff is not intuitive for new players and it's already a super steep learning curve. Imposing a permadeath penalty on players for mistakes with FP isn't going to go over well. I'd prefer to see <1 FP result in loss of HB invulnerability if applicable, and a 50% flat reduction in power generation for any entities the player controls. More like "rationing" than "death by deprivation." This is a harsh handicap, but gives players the opportunity to dig themselves out of the hole. It would be annoying to a freelancer, but totally crippling for a larger faction at war...

I think the only way a faction's RP income should be able to be impacted is by destruction of the Faction Module (or entire entity), not just a ship being present in the system. I think supply-line warfare can stay in the realm of attacking miners and pirating people's ships directly. Too many exploits would be opened by allowing passive attacks on someone's RP/FP by flying fleets of ships into their sectors at random, spawning stations in their space, etc.

Agreed. Even calculating FP drain every 5-10 seconds shouldn't substantially slow things down; the database will just compile income and drain, combine the two, then add/subtract the net from the faction's FP total. 4 steps per update I think. Not terrible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    You're right, MacThule , I shouldn't put in a bunch of detail for something that might not even happen. I just get really excited and like talking about possibilities. I wish I could program better and make a game myself... but for now I'll just have to try to backseat develop... I mean make suggestions. :)

So I was also thinking that if FP becomes this representation of fuel, food, oxygen, etc. is it still Faction Points? Maybe a better name is in order.

Stellar Survival Unit? Cosmonaut Kit? Captain's Credit? Galactic Ration? Pilot Pack?

Reactions: MacThule

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    You're right, MacThule , I shouldn't put in a bunch of detail for something that might not even happen. I just get really excited and like talking about possibilities. I wish I could program better and make a game myself... but for now I'll just have to try to backseat develop... I mean make suggestions. :)

So I was also thinking that if FP becomes this representation of fuel, food, oxygen, etc. is it still Faction Points? Maybe a better name is in order.

Stellar Survival Unit? Cosmonaut Kit? Captain's Credit? Galactic Ration? Pilot Pack?
    I mentioned in a previous post I was considering Resource Points.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I brainstormed an idea in MacThule's thread. Infrastructure vulnerability in Starmade

Here is the idea in full. Its a bit long, and I'm sure there are still holes. I wanted to find a good compromise between everyone that wants consumables and a faction point overhaul.

Lets start with the things that give FP in some shape or form.
    1) Fuel Refineries - Cool looking block that that passively generates faction points
    2) Farms - Another set of blocks that generate faction points
    3) Planets - Have a natural generation
    4) Fauna - Maybe farms or quarters with fauna?
    5) Water Refineries - Turning ice into something usable beside water, and engines
    6) Factories - Industry should increase faction points
    7) Possibly keep player logon increase as well.
    8) Trade - Trading and selling to other players generates Faction points? I'd like to encourage this, but it may be op as allies could trade continuously..

Faction Point Drain
    1) Having your own ships outside your territory. They should drain faction points in proportion to the power used on the ships. This is to represent food, oxygen, fuel reserves as well as supply lines to and from the ship. Travel within allied territory is either cheaper or free. If a ship is idling it uses less power, if its fighting it uses more, and more fuel.
    2) Enemy Ships in your territory - Should drain your faction points at the rate they are spending theirs. This gets more complicated with cloaked ships, and radar jammed ships but should provide some interesting cat-mouse game play.

Modifiers: Someone mentioned it would be a good idea to have NPCs modify the amount.
    NPCs - NPCs modify the amount of Faction points you get. Specificially if you have no NPCs you only get a fraction of what you would normally, but having a full crew (I'll need to expand on this idea) would give you 100%, then maybe excecptionally happy NPC give 150%

Now I already think that makes for some interesting gameplay, but adding one more dynamic should really spice it up.

Faction Point Storage
    The drains and increases should act like a regen number, and then whatever is left is added or subtracted from your current amount. You should also have to build storage into your bases for Faction Points. If no more storage then the excess is wasted. This works very close the the power system we already have. You physically build faction point storage into stations . The excess is distributed evenly to every storage in faction territory, but you can physically move faction points as well. Planets definitely have natural faction point storage. Stations might as well.

Moving Faction Points
    Factions points that are being moved are stored in normal storage, and are no longer assigned to anyone. They are taken from a specific set of storage and then can be unloaded onto other faction point storage. You could physically move faction points to an ally and help in a remote war without sending ships, but these could also be intercepted and the faction points stolen.

Faction points are not destroyed when you take a base, ship or planet. In fact they get added to your global count. This makes taking locations extremely strategic as it may increase your overall strength, and provide a supply line in enemy territory for refueling/restocking ships.

How this applies to AI.

In wars the AI will now have better targets to pick from and a range of easy ways to calculate how and when to take territory. It can also calculate when to retreat.

Most of these are assumptions as I know the devs already have their own ideas.
    Pirates:
    Pirate like factions would already own most of the territory. It would be easy for them to harass and encroach on territory. You can then fight your way into owning territory if you wish or help the Trade Guild deal with the pirates.

The Trade Guild is allowed to build stations in allied territory to generate FP by creating fuel and other resources for trade. They tend to stick to allied territory anyway so their costs may always be low. They may also trade goods for faction points to help fuel your war.

Other options that would fit into this:
    1) Removing the softcap for power should be fine now, as fielding your massive ship is both costly in parts and resources when outside your own territory.

There are too many dynamics that this allows for me to go into all of them. Please let me know what you think. I'll likely be back to edit flow/grammar/other things.

EDIT:
    Changed how NPCs affected drain.
    Added alterintel's idea to remove power cap for this.
    Added MacThule's trading idea.

Hmm.. this is a bit of a complicated thread. For me, I think that many of the ideas are good, but I don't think they should all lump in together with "faction points."

First I'll respond to your thread, and then I'll put my idea out there instead, which comes from a different prism of thinking.

I do not think faction points should be physically represented like currency. Where do they come from? I also don't think a generator should just create these "points" willy nilly. There needs to be a method to madness and a framework of logic that makes sense of where they come from. For example, why should owning a planet have anything to do with having more faction points? Why should water turn into faction points? Why would having a bunch of factories create more faction points? I am imagining people going out, creating giant cubes of factory blocks and basking in the point avalanche. Why should the act of trading produce faction points at all? Might people just sit around trading the same items back and forth? What would that really do for the game to make it more fun? Shouldn't the benefit of trading come from one person offering something you value more than they do and offering them something that they value more than you do, to create a shared wealth increase?

When you look at real economies, capitalism (ie. trading), produces wealth because people specialize. They are able to master making a product or service. They become more efficient. They can also diversify to master other markets. In the economy, markets are also variable. Supply and demand is constantly changing, so people decide to try and create businesses where there is demand and to shrink businesses where demand is decreasing. In StarMade, however, everyone is equal. All bonuses you get are equal to everyone else and cost exactly the same. There also aren't any real significant market fluctuations. Sure one shop might buy for a slightly different price than another and sell for a slightly different cost.. but.. I don't even bother with the shops to be honest.. they are too limited. I can just go mine a little and create everything I need. I cannot get nearly the same amount of items from shops. Also, you can't really specialize or diversify either, because everyone wants and creates the same things. There may be some diversity in asteroid groupings and what they produce, but I don't think it really goes far enough to create a tangible difference.

In many other games, you have a sort of man-power type statistic that builds up the larger your "town" is and is used up when you work toward something or for maintenance of that "town." I think the "faction points" of StarMade are the equivalent to that, because they are tied to the size of your faction and the upkeep of claimed sectors. Though it is very basic. I think expanding on it would fall more in line with the idea of it being like man hours. But how could we use this measure to encourage factions to grow, to encourage specialization and mastery, and to have a system of diversity in the economy?

Though there are many ways to go about this, and many different things we can focus on, I think spending the points toward faction-based skills is good way to go. Right now it is far too easy to have a home base, which is invulnerable, and then you can claim a system for free..and pay a very small amount of faction points per turn for upkeep.. and then most servers have crazy bonuses for mining, like a 12x bonus for claimed systems (that is a +1200% bonus! for what?!). Instead of having this sort of system, do away with it entirely, separate out the benefits, and give people a progression, with choices to make. Structure spending of "faction points" as "passive" and "active." For example, owning more bases uses up more faction points passively for their upkeep. Claiming a system uses some faction points, and then holding it uses an amount of faction points over time too. But then also introduce a tree of "Active Skills" you can "upgrade" by using faction points. You'd want to structure this tree based on competing types of goals. I'll give an example of an "Active Skill" tree. Each "skill" would have up to 5 levels of upgrades and some would be synergistic.

1: Mining and Factory Enhancements

- Capsule Refinery Efficiency: Each capsule refinery on a home base gives 10% more random capsules for each upgrade, to a maximum of +50% with 5 upgrades. Each upgrade costs a exponentially more faction points. These would be fully customizeable, so if a server wanted to make 6 upgrades possible, and each upgrade gave a +100% bonus, they could, which would be equivalent to a 6x mining bonus (from anything mined anywhere).
    - Salvage Power Efficiency: Salvage beams would, by default, use more power. Then there would be an upgrade which reduces the power they need and the power needed per grouping.
    - Salvage Beam Mining Efficiency: This would be similar to the capsule refinery efficiency upgrade, but would instead pertain to salvage beams, what they actually mine from asteroids and planets, from claimed systems.

2: Base Upgrades
    - Base Protection: This would have varying levels of protection, from simply giving an HP and armor boost to blocks, all the way up to invulnerability. When you turn on Base Protection for a station, it would use up faction points passively as an upkeep. The founders or anyone who has access to the faction module could change the level of protection at that base. More than one base can have the protection or have different levels of it. When changing the setting, make it take maybe 20 minutes for it to take effect.
    - Base Energy Efficiency: This allows the base to have an increased soft-cap on energy production. Perhaps each upgrade adds 20%, to a maximum of +100%. So, the base would then have a soft-cap of 4 million as opposed to 2.
    - Base Energy Capacity: This would increase the efficiency of each power capacitor, to allow less to do more. Perhaps a 5% bonus to the exponential effect per upgrade, up to 25%.

3: Ship Upgrades - These upgrades would pertain to items MADE at a station with the "Active Skill" on. Each item created would retain their bonuses, even if traded, and would cost more to produce.
    - Thruster Power Efficiency: You can get -2% power requirement for each upgrade, up to a savings of 10%.
    - Thruster Speed Efficiency: You can get +1% speed bonus for thrusters, per upgrade, up to 5%. This would allow less thrusters to produce more thrust. Note: There would be an exponential effect since the more thrusters you have, the less they produce.
    - Weapon Grouping Efficiency: This would pertain to the loss of power associated with each extra weapon grouping attached to a computer. Upgrading the efficiency would perhaps decrease the power hike that occurs when assigning multiple weapon groups to one weapon computer. Perhaps it could be 5% less energy required for each.
    - Weapon Damage Lethality: Each upgrade would add 1% more damage, up to +5%.
    - Weapon Energy Efficiency: Each upgrade would decrease power requirements by 2%, up to 10%.

4: Trade Guild Upgrades - First I should mention that there would need to be more variability in pricing for trade guilds. They should pay a lot less for what you sell, and cost a lot more to buy from. For example, a cannon computer might sell for $4,000, but costs $20,000 to buy. They should also have items that are unique to shops. Perhaps "alien technology" that would include new forms of power systems, weapons, armor, ect., where you could ONLY get them from a shop. A lot of decorative items would only come from shops too. Now, players may create their own shops with LESS of a price difference, to compete with trade stations and encourage more player to player shop trading.
    - Haggling: This bonus would be incremental. Perhaps you could save up to 20% when buying from a shop and get up to 20% more for what you sell - This would NOT apply to player shops.
    - Threat level reduction: If you attack a trade guild shop, you increase your threat level. This level would slowly go down within time, but you could spend faction points to reduce it right away. The higher your threat level, the more they charge and less they pay you to buy from you. If your threat level is too high, they won't trade with you at all. In fact, they might open fire on you immediately upon seeing you.

Ok, so now here's the kicker. Make each of these Upgrades able to be turned on or off, at different levels, and for DIFFERENT bases. Make each level of upgrade take exponentially more faction points to leave on. Also, when switching to different quality levels, make it have a flat cost to switch, perhaps 24 hours worth of faction points at the new level - this would discourage micromanaging of the levels.

And secondly.. I think this bears repeating, make ships and ship parts created with upgrades RETAIN the upgrades to them. This would encourage people to trade for better quality materials for their ships and to specialize. (And YES, the bonuses would stack with base protection) If a faction is powerful enough, then they could not only specialize, but also diversify. Now, the levels of faction points needed to maintain each "active bonus" would need to be tailored to each server. For example, on a busier server, to have all the bonuses active and a few sectors claimed, perhaps it could take 10 active members to be able to maintain the level of faction points necessary. A less busy server may reduce the requirements. If a faction dips below the amount of faction point generation needed, they risk losing their base protection, claimed sectors, or active bonuses. In the "faction menu" have the game calculate if the player is currently projected to be operating at a loss or a net gain of faction points, so they can easily decide on what direction they would like to go. To give another example, perhaps another server might want to make it possible for even a single man faction to have a high level of protection and productivity.. but they lose a lot more faction points when they die. Diversity is a good thing in a sandbox game like this.

I do have some ideas on bases as well and how they may influence faction points. I think there can and should be ways to make bases actually produce more faction points than they use. I think this sort of system would be great for crews. You'd want to create needs for crews and outputs, that uses up real items, so a base cannot simply sustain itself forever. For example, organic materials from planets would be needed for food that crew members eat. You have to set up serving stations, cooking stations, ect. The happier your people are, the more efficiently they go about their jobs of running the station. If they become unhappy, or starve to death (or are killed by a rival player), then the base starts eating up faction points at a greater rate if base protection is on. I should mention that I am not suggesting we introduce hunger to real players, just their crew members. This would also introduce new elements of gameplay and bring bases to life, as crew members would be shuffling around the halls, working at stations.

Well, that's all I got for now. If anyone wants to give some feedback, I welcome it. :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: terra mining corp.
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Those are creative ideas of things faction points might be used for - various buffs and bonuses essentially - but I don't feel that the OP was trying to find applications for FP. It was suggesting a much more specific dynamic built around streamlining fuel, food and life support into an already existing system.

In the OP scenario planets would generate FP because FP would represent the sum of a factions supplies of consumables and planets are a source of consumables IRL. I felt like it was a key concept of the entire OP and am confused as to how anyone could be confused about why planets would generate resources.

Making planets and stations not generate FP but rather have personnel (who are actually consumers of resources) generate FP seems counter-intuitive in the context of FP representing resources.

Part of the brilliance of the OP concept is not only streamlining fuel/food/air into one existing system (so much happies for the coders) but that by forcing players to claim and hold planets & stations ADDITIONAL TO the HB (which is invulnerable) in order to project force outside of there territory in any sustained way (ie; spamming drones on other peoples HBs or station fleets in hostile territory or camping someone's system in a Titan), others can now counter and respond to their actions because they have VULNERABLE infrastructure, not just one invulnerable home base with giant turrets that can't be assailed. A factions ability to act aggressively can be hamstrung, but they would still have their HB and sector so it wouldn't be a permakill or anything.

The concept would bring great balance to MP dynamics.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I gotta say though, I do agree that physical storage of FP and blocks that create FP any way other than passively on owned stationary entities seems 1) like an unnecessary complication which could be discussed secondary to the core concept of using FP as a unified consumable. 2) very likely to be prone to abuse and/or exploitation. At least with an emergent dynamic.

The main concept is very compelling and I'd love to see what it looks like as a practical barebones that the dev team could actually wrap their heads around. What would be the MINIMUM level of implementation at which this system would function? What would be the baby steps - in sequence - that would need to be taken to get there without breaking the rest of the game in the process or skipping an update cycle so the devs could get it done all in one go?

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I gotta say though, I do agree that physical storage of FP and blocks that create FP any way other than passively on owned stationary entities seems 1) like an unnecessary complication which could be discussed secondary to the core concept of using FP as a unified consumable. 2) very likely to be prone to abuse and/or exploitation. At least with an emergent dynamic.

The main concept is very compelling and I'd love to see what it looks like as a practical barebones that the dev team could actually wrap their heads around. What would be the MINIMUM level of implementation at which this system would function? What would be the baby steps - in sequence - that would need to be taken to get there without breaking the rest of the game in the process or skipping an update cycle so the devs could get it done all in one go?
    That would probably be draining faction points based on the territory you are in. If that was a config we could play with the values of territory generation. That's the core of the idea really.

EDIT: It would be ideal if they added support for certain blocks to add to faction points every tick. In Block Config as well.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hmm.. this is a bit of a complicated thread. For me, I think that many of the ideas are good, but I don't think they should all lump in together with "faction points."

First I'll respond to your thread, and then I'll put my idea out there instead, which comes from a different prism of thinking.

I do not think faction points should be physically represented like currency. Where do they come from? I also don't think a generator should just create these "points" willy nilly. There needs to be a method to madness and a framework of logic that makes sense of where they come from. For example, why should owning a planet have anything to do with having more faction points? Why should water turn into faction points? Why would having a bunch of factories create more faction points? I am imagining people going out, creating giant cubes of factory blocks and basking in the point avalanche. Why should the act of trading produce faction points at all? Might people just sit around trading the same items back and forth? What would that really do for the game to make it more fun? Shouldn't the benefit of trading come from one person offering something you value more than they do and offering them something that they value more than you do, to create a shared wealth increase?

When you look at real economies, capitalism (ie. trading), produces wealth because people specialize. They are able to master making a product or service. They become more efficient. They can also diversify to master other markets. In the economy, markets are also variable. Supply and demand is constantly changing, so people decide to try and create businesses where there is demand and to shrink businesses where demand is decreasing. In StarMade, however, everyone is equal. All bonuses you get are equal to everyone else and cost exactly the same. There also aren't any real significant market fluctuations. Sure one shop might buy for a slightly different price than another and sell for a slightly different cost.. but.. I don't even bother with the shops to be honest.. they are too limited. I can just go mine a little and create everything I need. I cannot get nearly the same amount of items from shops. Also, you can't really specialize or diversify either, because everyone wants and creates the same things. There may be some diversity in asteroid groupings and what they produce, but I don't think it really goes far enough to create a tangible difference.

In many other games, you have a sort of man-power type statistic that builds up the larger your "town" is and is used up when you work toward something or for maintenance of that "town." I think the "faction points" of StarMade are the equivalent to that, because they are tied to the size of your faction and the upkeep of claimed sectors. Though it is very basic. I think expanding on it would fall more in line with the idea of it being like man hours. But how could we use this measure to encourage factions to grow, to encourage specialization and mastery, and to have a system of diversity in the economy?

Though there are many ways to go about this, and many different things we can focus on, I think spending the points toward faction-based skills is good way to go. Right now it is far too easy to have a home base, which is invulnerable, and then you can claim a system for free..and pay a very small amount of faction points per turn for upkeep.. and then most servers have crazy bonuses for mining, like a 12x bonus for claimed systems (that is a +1200% bonus! for what?!). Instead of having this sort of system, do away with it entirely, separate out the benefits, and give people a progression, with choices to make. Structure spending of "faction points" as "passive" and "active." For example, owning more bases uses up more faction points passively for their upkeep. Claiming a system uses some faction points, and then holding it uses an amount of faction points over time too. But then also introduce a tree of "Active Skills" you can "upgrade" by using faction points. You'd want to structure this tree based on competing types of goals. I'll give an example of an "Active Skill" tree. Each "skill" would have up to 5 levels of upgrades and some would be synergistic.

1: Mining and Factory Enhancements

- Capsule Refinery Efficiency: Each capsule refinery on a home base gives 10% more random capsules for each upgrade, to a maximum of +50% with 5 upgrades. Each upgrade costs a exponentially more faction points. These would be fully customizeable, so if a server wanted to make 6 upgrades possible, and each upgrade gave a +100% bonus, they could, which would be equivalent to a 6x mining bonus (from anything mined anywhere).
    - Salvage Power Efficiency: Salvage beams would, by default, use more power. Then there would be an upgrade which reduces the power they need and the power needed per grouping.
    - Salvage Beam Mining Efficiency: This would be similar to the capsule refinery efficiency upgrade, but would instead pertain to salvage beams, what they actually mine from asteroids and planets, from claimed systems.

2: Base Upgrades
    - Base Protection: This would have varying levels of protection, from simply giving an HP and armor boost to blocks, all the way up to invulnerability. When you turn on Base Protection for a station, it would use up faction points passively as an upkeep. The founders or anyone who has access to the faction module could change the level of protection at that base. More than one base can have the protection or have different levels of it. When changing the setting, make it take maybe 20 minutes for it to take effect.
    - Base Energy Efficiency: This allows the base to have an increased soft-cap on energy production. Perhaps each upgrade adds 20%, to a maximum of +100%. So, the base would then have a soft-cap of 4 million as opposed to 2.
    - Base Energy Capacity: This would increase the efficiency of each power capacitor, to allow less to do more. Perhaps a 5% bonus to the exponential effect per upgrade, up to 25%.

3: Ship Upgrades - These upgrades would pertain to items MADE at a station with the "Active Skill" on. Each item created would retain their bonuses, even if traded, and would cost more to produce.
    - Thruster Power Efficiency: You can get -2% power requirement for each upgrade, up to a savings of 10%.
    - Thruster Speed Efficiency: You can get +1% speed bonus for thrusters, per upgrade, up to 5%. This would allow less thrusters to produce more thrust. Note: There would be an exponential effect since the more thrusters you have, the less they produce.
    - Weapon Grouping Efficiency: This would pertain to the loss of power associated with each extra weapon grouping attached to a computer. Upgrading the efficiency would perhaps decrease the power hike that occurs when assigning multiple weapon groups to one weapon computer. Perhaps it could be 5% less energy required for each.
    - Weapon Damage Lethality: Each upgrade would add 1% more damage, up to +5%.
    - Weapon Energy Efficiency: Each upgrade would decrease power requirements by 2%, up to 10%.

4: Trade Guild Upgrades - First I should mention that there would need to be more variability in pricing for trade guilds. They should pay a lot less for what you sell, and cost a lot more to buy from. For example, a cannon computer might sell for $4,000, but costs $20,000 to buy. They should also have items that are unique to shops. Perhaps "alien technology" that would include new forms of power systems, weapons, armor, ect., where you could ONLY get them from a shop. A lot of decorative items would only come from shops too. Now, players may create their own shops with LESS of a price difference, to compete with trade stations and encourage more player to player shop trading.
    - Haggling: This bonus would be incremental. Perhaps you could save up to 20% when buying from a shop and get up to 20% more for what you sell - This would NOT apply to player shops.
    - Threat level reduction: If you attack a trade guild shop, you increase your threat level. This level would slowly go down within time, but you could spend faction points to reduce it right away. The higher your threat level, the more they charge and less they pay you to buy from you. If your threat level is too high, they won't trade with you at all. In fact, they might open fire on you immediately upon seeing you.

Ok, so now here's the kicker. Make each of these Upgrades able to be turned on or off, at different levels, and for DIFFERENT bases. Make each level of upgrade take exponentially more faction points to leave on. Also, when switching to different quality levels, make it have a flat cost to switch, perhaps 24 hours worth of faction points at the new level - this would discourage micromanaging of the levels.

And secondly.. I think this bears repeating, make ships and ship parts created with upgrades RETAIN the upgrades to them. This would encourage people to trade for better quality materials for their ships and to specialize. (And YES, the bonuses would stack with base protection) If a faction is powerful enough, then they could not only specialize, but also diversify. Now, the levels of faction points needed to maintain each "active bonus" would need to be tailored to each server. For example, on a busier server, to have all the bonuses active and a few sectors claimed, perhaps it could take 10 active members to be able to maintain the level of faction points necessary. A less busy server may reduce the requirements. If a faction dips below the amount of faction point generation needed, they risk losing their base protection, claimed sectors, or active bonuses. In the "faction menu" have the game calculate if the player is currently projected to be operating at a loss or a net gain of faction points, so they can easily decide on what direction they would like to go. To give another example, perhaps another server might want to make it possible for even a single man faction to have a high level of protection and productivity.. but they lose a lot more faction points when they die. Diversity is a good thing in a sandbox game like this.

I do have some ideas on bases as well and how they may influence faction points. I think there can and should be ways to make bases actually produce more faction points than they use. I think this sort of system would be great for crews. You'd want to create needs for crews and outputs, that uses up real items, so a base cannot simply sustain itself forever. For example, organic materials from planets would be needed for food that crew members eat. You have to set up serving stations, cooking stations, ect. The happier your people are, the more efficiently they go about their jobs of running the station. If they become unhappy, or starve to death (or are killed by a rival player), then the base starts eating up faction points at a greater rate if base protection is on. I should mention that I am not suggesting we introduce hunger to real players, just their crew members. This would also introduce new elements of gameplay and bring bases to life, as crew members would be shuffling around the halls, working at stations.

Well, that's all I got for now. If anyone wants to give some feedback, I welcome it. :)
    Prepare the welcome mat.

I very much like the idea of being able to upgrade different things for your faction. Upgrades be applied to faction ships and whatnot. I would make the upgrades be able to be earned through using faction capsules(faction blcosk instorage form, I'll talk about it later) in the faction block. Make the upgrades exponentially(to some degree) more expensive and less strong, letting just 5 upgrades double your max cap is pretty rediculus, the costs would have to be enourmous.

I really don't like the idea of better quality blocks, just "power generator lvl 2" is to simple for me. If there was some other, seperate system like fuel or a different, with the potential to be much better, power system. More complicated for more advanced builders. (Im talking about FtD lazers and advanced stuff).

Alien tech would be cool, but that would need new blocks, and new systems probably, ect. So it would be a good thing for beta or post beta or as an expansion pack, but not right now.

I think faction gain through structures should be earned by placing a faction block* down and a few cargo blocks, as well as some factory enhancers. Faction block gives you a base amount but doesn't have an inventory, it gets one once you attatch cargo blocks. Enhancers increase the Faction point gain by a certain amount, capping at 2-3x. Different places and entity types would give more or less fp gain with higher or lower power cost. The key to this is that Faction Point would be generated as Faction Capsules. Faction Capsules would weigh .2-.5 mass, so you need a reasonably large storage area.
    All of the system (faction block, enhancers, cargo) would need to connected on one grouping, and earn bonuses if put in rectangles (just copy the power cap formula and nerf the bonus a bit.

The system would need to be placed near the outside of the ship, this would be calculated by taking the faction block and finding the nearest x,y,z line to the outside(it must be less than 5 blocks, but blocks part of the system blocks don't count) , the outside would be clasified by drawing a series of flat planes out from every block, if there is open space for 10 by 10 in every direction for 10 blocks with 2 or less nonsystem blocks then it counts.
    This is to preswade people to make nodes on the outside of the ship and buildings on planets. If the conditions aren't met the fp gain in nerfed significantly.

* Later I would hope it is replaced with a farm block or something so you can have multible farms, so big ships could have farming racks and stuff.

/walloftext

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Nickizzy and Benevolent27 I really appreciate the creativity and thoughts you two are putting into it, but for this thread arbitrary buffs is not something I'd be interested in. There are a few reasons why.

1) These aren't apparent to a beginner player, other ships just appear more powerful for the same amount of blocks.
    2) They artificially increases the gap between a new single player and long established factions vs looking at a map and seeing how large a faction is and realizing how much power they have.

If you want to talk about using faction points as upgrades you should start another thread, and I think there are a lot of them they talk through that idea. I'm not interested in it. Which is why I'm attempting to bridge the gap between people wanting consumables and people that don't want to micromanage everything. As well as solving other problems along the way.

So thank you, but please move your discussion to another thread! I'll try to engage there as well.

Reaction score
    Nickizzy and Benevolent27 I really appreciate the creativity and thoughts you two are putting into it, but for this thread arbitrary buffs is not something I'd be interested in. There are a few reasons why.

1) These aren't apparent to a beginner player, other ships just appear more powerful for the same amount of blocks.
    2) They artificially increases the gap between a new single player and long established factions vs looking at a map and seeing how large a faction is and realizing how much power they have.

If you want to talk about using faction points as upgrades you should start another thread, and I think there are a lot of them they talk through that idea. I'm not interested in it. Which is why I'm attempting to bridge the gap between people wanting consumables and people that don't want to micromanage everything. As well as solving other problems along the way.

So thank you, but please move your discussion to another thread! I'll try to engage there as well.
    Sure thing buddy. I personally will not make the thread, but I will not talk about it here anymore.

What about these parts:
    Prepare the welcome mat.

I really don't like the idea of better quality blocks, just "power generator lvl 2" is to simple for me. If there was some other, seperate system like fuel or a different, with the potential to be much better, power system. More complicated for more advanced builders. (Im talking about FtD lazers and advanced stuff).

I think faction gain through structures should be earned by placing a faction block* down and a few cargo blocks, as well as some factory enhancers. Faction block gives you a base amount but doesn't have an inventory, it gets one once you attatch cargo blocks. Enhancers increase the Faction point gain by a certain amount, capping at 2-3x. Different places and entity types would give more or less fp gain with higher or lower power cost. The key to this is that Faction Point would be generated as Faction Capsules. Faction Capsules would weigh .2-.5 mass, so you need a reasonably large storage area.
    All of the system (faction block, enhancers, cargo) would need to connected on one grouping, and earn bonuses if put in rectangles (just copy the power cap formula and nerf the bonus a bit.

The system would need to be placed near the outside of the ship, this would be calculated by taking the faction block and finding the nearest x,y,z line to the outside(it must be less than 5 blocks, but blocks part of the system blocks don't count) , the outside would be clasified by drawing a series of flat planes out from every block, if there is open space for 10 by 10 in every direction for 10 blocks with 2 or less nonsystem blocks then it counts.
    This is to preswade people to make nodes on the outside of the ship and buildings on planets. If the conditions aren't met the fp gain in nerfed significantly.

* Later I would hope it is replaced with a farm block or something so you can have multible farms, so big ships could have farming racks and stuff.

/walloftext
    Got any thoughts about new custom late game systems? Faction capsules? Farm blocks? More feedback!:p

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    maybe changing fp to more of a charisma bonus for the leader of the faction,giving more interaction bonusus with other factons and npc's(good or bad).also giving resource bonus based not on the faction points but on upgrades on faction owned territories,ie:factories and refineries on planets give planet a bonus to resources produced along the lines of benevolent27 post,and conquest of planets and bases would be more useful a the bonuses would be transferable. not sure if this goes off topic from nightrune's op,but the point system does need a revamp to make the game more rp friendly.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Short on time, but here are the first three likely steps as I see it:

STEP 1) Preparing the ground with minor changes to factions & faction relationships (In order to avoid having solo players left in the lurch when suddenly they have little or no FP generation and flying starts to cost FP).
    • Allow factions to change relationships as follows:
      • Merge Into. This lets you subsume your faction into another existing one. You would receive the lowest rank in the new faction and all of your faction's assets & FP would become the property of the faction you joined.
      • Retire. This creates a new 1-player faction with you as its founder, and removes you from the old faction taking with you 1/2 of an equal share of their FP.
    • ALL new characters start automatically as founders of their own personal faction named with their character name. They start with a small stash of FP and can save up new FP. Now even at spawning, no player will be left behind. Basically every player has a straw-man faction and is assumed to at all times be running their own private enterprise/kingdom/corporation/WE.
    • All factions generate a base amount of FP/tick. Say, enough to fly a small (100,000 e/sec) ship around pretty much non-stop)
    STEP 2) Shut down FP gain from faction members and turn on slow, passive FP gain from Stations owned (including the HB) and Planet Plates (for now...) owned. Set FP max reserve as a function of a faction's number of active players (for now).

STEP 3) Turn on FP drain from power generation anywhere outside of owned or allied territory, and from HB invulnerability. Impose 50% penalty (for now) on power generation and removal of HB invulnerability for factions with <1 FP.

As I see it, that would accomplish all the underlying goals of the OP, with a minimum of work from the developers. Some work to be certain though; especially modifying the faction relationships and setting up a more dynamic FP check system. Without those faction changes in place though, I see soloists instantly being ruined, and players being unable to leave a bad faction when they want to without ending up as paupers even if they've invested a lot. Once those are in place, it's just a few tweaks to completely alter the way FP affects the game. Even solo players will be wanting to claim a planet and maybe set up a few stations for their corporation/empire so they can deploy more hardware. :)

Thoughts?

Reactions: alterintel

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    We'll pull this apart one bit at a time. I'm partial to keeping the faction block the center point of the entire system. I think its pretty essential. I really don't like the enhancers though. My thinking is that NPCs should be the modifiers and possibly allow multipliers for fp/rp generation. I think it gives a very natural feeling then. Active locations with lots of NPCs likely generate more faction points, and are bigger targets. You are also more likely to attempt to take a station then (Which I think is essential for the game as it is). This gives a really good sense of permanancy to a world as you see old structures renovated, and repopulated after wars. Lots of character there, and role play possibilities.

I can see what you are aiming for. You don't want people building 8 layer thick armor around their stations and you can't get to it, but I'm still not sure this really helps gameplay. It just adds unnecessary complications for the code. We really just need a way to locate faction modules with intense scanning.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    And honestly, Benevolent & Nickizzy, I think that some minor buffs along those lines may be totally appropriate exchanges for additional FP drain down the line, but as a later step after retrofitting the FP system to actually provide some useful balance to the game.