Votes: 21 87.5%
    • No

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Now, there maybe a few other ideas on the forums about this, but Faction Emblems should be implemented as is can diverse factions more and boost morale perhaps. Another thing useful is if implemented the emblem should appear in center of faction systems in galaxy to help designate factions territory based off an emblem, option also to enable and disable this in galaxy map. (Poll will end in 2 weeks, only one vote use, no switching votes) Let me know what you guys think!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I say no for now. For now, there is too much reason to switch between different factions, and there isn't enough interfaction security. So I think emblems are too "permanent" for our current faction system.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I say no for now. For now, there is too much reason to switch between different factions, and there isn't enough interfaction security. So I think emblems are too "permanent" for our current faction system.
    Well "permanent" or not, it should be something added as it is part of the general faction uses. The current faction system is pretty good for what it is, but improvements are always noticable and simple to add. I see no reason why not to add them, even switching factions, whats wrong with that if you switch factions your assigned a new fac emblem as your in another faction then. As for interfaction security, what does that have to do with faction emblems?

Reaction score
    Now, there maybe a few other ideas on the forums about this, but Faction Emblems should be implemented as is can diverse factions more and boost morale perhaps. Another thing useful is if implemented the emblem should appear in center of faction systems in galaxy to help designate factions territory based off an emblem, option also to enable and disable this in galaxy map. (Poll will end in 2 weeks, only one vote use, no switching votes) Let me know what you guys think!
    this may be good in the future, but right now there are more important things to address. a great idea but at the wrong time. (just my opinion)

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    this may be good in the future, but right now there are more important things to address. a great idea but at the wrong time. (just my opinion)
    Perhaps, acording to the dev timeline they plan to do a faction overhaul. maybe emblems will be added then?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    No, this has been suggested a few times. If you want to show your faction, put an emblem in your signature.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Welp, I didn't read this properly lol. Disregard what I said!

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, its still really early for something like this.

You're asking for basically decorations when we are still trying to build the walls.

This is something that would be nice a year or two from now when the game is much more finished and we're basically in beta and about to launch. Right now we need to get factions working before we start adding frills to it.

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Dude, take the negativity outside, we don't want it.
    im not being negative, just friendly joking around as the amount of features that need to be added before we can even think about being in beta is a rather large list, and then the bug fixes between adding each feature so the next feature is not broken immediately.

also, I am sure you are familiar with soon(tm)? That is why (even if it is just a year or two) we don't say a year or two until beta, we say several years or decades, or soon(tm).

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    im not being negative, just friendly joking around as the amount of features that need to be added before we can even think about being in beta is a rather large list, and then the bug fixes between adding each feature so the next feature is not broken immediately.

also, I am sure you are familiar with soon(tm)? That is why (even if it is just a year or two) we don't say a year or two until beta, we say several years or decades, or soon(tm).
    The amount of bitchiness people have about how slow things go who don't seem to understand that for most of the game's development cycle its been literally one guy working out of his garage to make it (we're up to what, 3 whole people now?) make it so even jokes like that are in fairly poor taste, IMO.

There's a difference between Soonbeing an industry wide joke, and specifically saying it'll take a decade to get the game into beta. Again, IMO.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Yay I say this idea.

How would emblems be implemented however?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yay I say this idea.

A simple PNG/JPG upload, and a new Emblem Block that automatically displays the faction emblem for the owning faction. The displayed image should also stretch across adjacent Emblem Blocks, so if you wanted a giant 10x10 block emblem, you could.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is definitely worth mentioning in anticipation of a faction overhaul. I'd also like to see faction emblems show up with the HUD indicators, at the risk of making the HUD overloaded with icons. Maybe implement a limit on faction HUD indicators to the x# (closest/hostile/biggest/most hp) contacts, client-configurable.

It's also worth mentioning size/shape limitations. Example: To allow easy GL integration and space constraints, the emblems might need to be limited to 128x128 or 256x256 square images. Size limitations can be important, because you don't want your battle with a new faction to be delayed while you twiddle your thumbs as the game downloads the faction icon. Talk about immersion-breaking. Storage of 1024x1024 or larger emblems will be much heavier than storing 256x256 emblems.

To answer questions:
    Faction security can lead to faction-hopping (switching to another faction prematurely), and then possibly faction abandonment. At that point, it's simply a matter of more faction emblems that the server must store, even when those emblems are no longer used. With size/space limitations, unused emblem storage is less of a problem.

Maybe unused emblems can be offered for use if the faction they were loaded for is empty. It would be a shame if a really cool emblem went off limits when the last person leaves a faction. On the other hand, the game might need to implement some basic image-checking, to ensure that two different factions don't use the same emblem. That could lead to some direct pirate actions. Realistic, but frustrating in a game environment.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Yay I say this idea.

My way of implementing these features is using a type of emblem list or creator to make your own emblems within game or from pictures externally from the game. Once set within the faction menu it will be listed across players, ships, stations and center of faction owned systems within the galaxy map.