Recognized Exploration/System Bonuses and Actual Empire Building

Reaction score
    One thing to watch out for with this though would be the additional server load of tracking these guys running around. But that could be as simple as "If no player is in the sector, disable the NPCs and just load resources into storage directly every tic".
    honestly i know it might be slightly immersion breaking but honestly it should probably do this anyways aka number of residents x per hour production / 60 = resources per minute

if the sector is loaded you can watch the residents move around and interact with the stuff you have built but it probably shouldn't actually do anything otherwise you could end up with situations where because of pathfinding and stuff watching your people do something actually slows down your food / resource/ fuel / whatever production.

Reaction score
    Lol summoning ritual.

Some great ideas in here, cool to see what we have planned is similar to what the community thinks would be cool, so that's a good sign.

I know we haven't really communicated much about the direction of the game recently, especially with us moving into new things beyond just ship building etc.

Stick with us just a little bit more and hopefully will be able to tell quite a lot more about all the plans, next week.

We have a number of planned mechanics that if you're a fan of the premise of the OP then you'll like these planned mechanics too.
    Thanks man, appreciate it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, like every Dave is either working, sleeping, or on time off. You could make it so they only work and sleep, but slavery would bring higher chances of revolt. Even ships could have a galley that serves as a feeding/recreation area, so your Daves don't mutiny on you in the middle of a long haul trip across the galaxy.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    One thing to watch out for with this though would be the additional server load of tracking these guys running around. But that could be as simple as "If no player is in the sector, disable the NPCs and just load resources into storage directly every tic".
    We already have a solution for this

Reactions: Lecic

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    oh man and bench all but comes in and confirms that this is going to happen THE HYPE IS REAL!!!!
    As in we have a solution for handling the server load more NPCs might introduce. If you watched the Twitch stream from TwitchCon you would have seen the spawn station. That thing will obviously have a fair few NPCs on it as the game grows. So not confirming anything except that we have a solution in place to handle the server load of more NPCs.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    These ideas sounds a lot like Dwarf Fortress! also are the 'colonists' just all of one species, a choice with adv/dis-adv like in FTL, or completly mixed. Personally I would like a combination of choice and mixed, species restricted immigration for certain bonuses or open immigration for an average colony.

An added thought, how about these colonist can be a pool for crew hiring with stats that make them excel in some jobs but suck at others. Over time on your ship they'll bonus experience for their prefer task if the job uses it. side idea; better crew quarters = faster experience gain

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Could be fun if the colonist NPCs pick from all uploaded skins for the server at random just to give them all some varied looks.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    also are the 'colonists' just all of one species, a choice with adv/dis-adv like in FTL, or completly mixed. Personally I would like a combination of choice and mixed, species restricted immigration for certain bonuses or open immigration for an average colony.
    I still want randomly generated alien races.

Reactions: Bench
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I still want randomly generated alien races.
    Can't agree more! :D
    Maybe even as an added role playing element, randomly generated player character races with randomly generated bonuses, and penalties for balance. Perhaps just one of each.

For instance:
    Bonuses:
    mining bonus
    buying and or selling bonus at shops
    faster jump drive charge
    longer jump drive range
    specific weapon damage, range, and/or rate of fire bonus (when in a core)
    can build a ship and/or station with enhanced shields, armor, and/or weapons that the bonus is part of the ship
    stations cost less to build/ repair
    etc...

Penalties:
    pretty much the opposite of the bonuses

Reaction score
    Interesting idea, but i feel this it a bit too complex i love civ but it is a totally different game with a completely different focus this could work well as long as there is still a focus on you personally building bases basically you would not be able to play the game from your station sending out "explorers" to colonize planets.

i really like the civilian npc idea, i would love a use for my crew rooms in my station. However i would not want them to spawn in their own buildings, I would prefer if they were happy with their living environments they became more productive and would get a mining bonus... of course just cramming as many "miners" into the same area would quickly get you lots of the material but at low efficiency.

the idea of the universe feeling more alive can be achieved with other means than just npcs spawning in buildings (a very passive way of playing) such as non-pirate non-derelict stations, say you see pirates are attacking a populated station and killed the pirates the inhabitants might reward you (or you could just blow up their turrets and raid the place)

anyway, good idea but it could be straying to far from the core mechanics of the game.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    anyway, good idea but it could be straying to far from the core mechanics of the game.
    Right now the core mechanics of the game last for about 2 days until you have gathered so many materials that all you do is sit in a shipyard and build ship after ship that you never actually spawn in...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    My hope for an empire rises as the NPC factions approaches...

let all my buildshave a purpose beside being pretty.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Could be fun if the colonist NPCs pick from all uploaded skins for the server at random just to give them all some varied looks.
    I would like some kind of skin pools for factions would be nice. These would be a collection of skins you could upload that get downloaded the same way existing skins download, but only when you come across the NPC with the skin so you don't have a huge block to download. This could also be mitigated by have download packs that we could download manually via the tools menu option when you load up the game.

Have a skin pool for each type of NPC;

Pools & their skins
    Civilian - male, female, different facial features, skin colours with clothing types, colours, etc
    Civilian Services - Uniform based - Police, Fire, Ambulance/medical, engineering, politics, etc
    Military - Uniforms, maybe related to the 4 faction levels. Command, Lutenant, Officer, Engineering, Ensign, whatever etc

I'm sure others could come up with more perhaps.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, I saw the recent posts but didn't look at the previous dates. Oh well.
    Hey, just means you were using the Search function.

People can complain about you not using Search, or necro'ing old threads. They don't get to complain about both. :)