Recognized Exploration/System Bonuses and Actual Empire Building

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    (without Necro-posts I may never see cool threads like this.)

I had to laugh when I read the title. Flashback to me crawling through a sewer-pipe in Deus Ex ... lost somewhere in Hong Kong trying to find a mission point with a map drawn by Loki.

Ten minutes of creeping along with nothing to break the tedium...until...

...'exploration bonus: 25 exp points'. Lol, the level designer spent the time to model that damn sewer pipe and you took the time to clean the dust-bunnies out of it....so, darn right you deserve a reward, dubious though it might be.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello thread. I didn't see you there.

So luxuries. I like the idea. I suppose there would generally only be one or two per "cluster" of systems, and it's the number of different luxuries that matter?

Also thinking something about NPC roles:
    Miner - produces ore (probably an asteroid's worth per person per half-hour or so)
    Farmer - produces food (enough to feed maybe 40 people)
    Engineer - builds stations/colonies, maintains quarters
    <No idea what to call this> - produces luxuries
    Shipbuilder - these guys act as factory enhancers for shipyards. (No power cost, but they do need food)
    Technician - these guys act as factory enhancers for factories. (No power cost, but they need food)
    Medic - These guys are responsible for keeping the colonists alive. I'd also assume there would be "industrial accidents" that would keep them busy much of the time.
    Trainer - can convert people into merchants, spacy crew, or ground combat. Alternately, can make people better at their jobs. (Yes, I am assuming permanent jobs here.
    Merchants - how many of these guys you have as a faction determines how much cargo you can haul around.
    Spacy crew - how many of these guys you have as a faction determines how much fleet you can have
    Ground combat - these guys are needed for security and basically if pirates decide to raid the colony.

And then they'd have a food bar, a sleep bar, and a morale bar.
    Food bar can be refilled by food, or very slowly while sleeping - basically, this is to prevent your colonists from just standing around doing nothing forever if something goes wrong. So if you don't have any food, your colonists will work one tick and then sleep for several ticks.

Sleep bar will deplete each tick spent working and refill in bed (duh) It'd probably be best to have this as an integer form for config reasons - basically, if you want your people to be up for 16 ticks and sleep for 8, you set your config to have the max sleep be 16, deplete by 1 per tick, and recover 2 per tick, and sleep until fully recovered.

Morale bar - this bar depletes slower the more different luxuries you have at the location, and refills faster for the same.

Re: procedurally generated structures. That's going to be a pain. For instance, how do I make sure that my shipyard isn't blocked off? That the place looks good? That's something that needs its own thread to figure out how it would work and look good.

Re: figuring out what the NPCs are doing and making sure that lag doesn't reduce production. Why not just have the results calculated based on what you assigned, and who cares whether the NPCs actually made it to the mining zone? So while the NPCs would attempt to wander over to the mining zone when the universe ticks over and their shift starts, the system will consider that they made it to the mining zone instantly at the start of the shift. Unless they fall down onto some lava and die, in which case the system just assumes they didn't work.

Reaction score
    to add to this truly awesome idea, i would like to suggest that there be a function for developing cities where the more amenities/luxuries there are are in the city creates integer (A), the size of overall population creates integer (B), and each type of settler creates integer (C1), (C2), etc.

these integers then multiply in such a way that if there are medium-to-high class settlers, the cost of living increases with the size of the city, meaning that the poorer citizens cannot afford to live there anymore. they can then sell their houses back to the city/developers and migrate somewhere else, or be evicted for not paying their due and end up homeless.

NPC or player transports that travel to the planet could then offer passage for the homeless to new worlds, at no cost, when they have empty cabins. the number of homeless people could also affect the cost of living, city desirability, and city-wide morale... this would mean that you would have to keep tabs on the populations as too many homeless people could drive settlers away, damage your faction reputation, and stall city growth.

once the poorer classes of settlers sell their houses back to the city, they could be levelled and developed into bigger buildings as so required, with maybe a timer of real-world days to see if any adjacent buildings are sold. this would mean that if 4 houses that were in a grid were sold, they could be replaced with a block of flats matching that rough footprint.

so if a house is sold a timer lasts for 3 days (if there are similar ones next to it). if an adjacent house is sold before the timer is up, then the timer for that 'plot' is restarted, and this continues until the timer runs out, or there are no more buildings of a similar class adjacent to the unoccupied space.

once one of these outcomes is reached, the city levels all of the empty houses and builds as many new living spaces as possible within that footprint (so you might get a block of flats, with a 2 storey house squeezed into a remaining space).

you could additionally have that extra space taken by a shop of some sort if there is not one within a certain range already, based on population density.

equally, if there is a large amount of sold houses in a block, with say, less than 15% of that class still being occupied that are considered to be a single plot, the city could automatically buy them out for a profit, which could mean raising those settlers' class and therefore boosting the economy in the long run. this would mean that there would be a chance of vast areas being developed from suburbs to urban areas.

this would mean that original settler houses would be replaced by higher class buildings until an entire planet sector could theoretically be developed to its maximum, with sky scraper blueprints maybe being modular where they can rip the roof off and add another 5 storeys at a time until they reach a certain distance from the top of the atmosphere directly above.

i would say that cities should only be able to expand to one planet sector (or a predetermined size if planets become exponentially bigger) however the whole planet is classed as an economy so you could get commuters travelling to a different planet sector which is defined as a mine, or another that is classed as a shipyard - this way mines and shipyards (and farms, any other mechanics that are developed) could also expand and develop to be the size of the whole planet sector, so you could build massive ships, mine more resources than your planet needs (export options!) and what-not.

this post has got me super excited, so sorry if i rambled on.... a lot!