Energy System

What do you think about the energy crystal fuel system i suggested?

• Yea, fuel sounds realistic

Votes: 7 38.9%
    • Nope, i believe we will have unlimited power regene from nowhere in the furture

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My preference: you should be required to stop every now and then, no matter how much power regeneration you have instead of flying at the same max speed for eternity.
    • Excluded are ships which use fuel
    • Excluded from this rule are special racer/scout ships which are purposely designed for pure speed.
    • Once different block weights are implemented, even scouts may have deco-hull.

Once stars are not lined up in every 16 sectors in plain x, y OR z, it might be a longer way from star to star than a direct route, which makes the choice of paying for faster energy regeneration from time to time worthwhile.

A great opportunity for role-players in navigation.

Free Energy Generators like our current should remain, but their mass or indirect mass from more hulls to cover larger reactors could slow a ship down and make it less efficient as it would be solar blocks or fuel-requiring reactors.

In mass/weight, I also see another great opportunity for buffing stations vs ships - stations don't mind additional mass.

If solar blocks need to be the topmost block seen from the direction the sun is relative to your ship (+x, -x, +-y, +-z) in order to work, it would be a great sof-cap mechanic.
    Ships which are twice as long and with twice the width have 4 times surface being able to face the sun, but they have 8 times volume
    => recharge/mass ratio will be inverse proportional to the size.
    If
    1. free energy remains soft-capped at 1kk
    2. or cores produce extra energy while they contain a player (without player it would allow a power-supply exploit)
    3. or portals star-gates are only for small ships
    it would force only huge ships to have fuel.

Fuel-reactors would be ideal for combat drones and fighters carried by a mother-ship as they have very low survivability, but it would probably be too expensive to pay for thrusters in exploration ships.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Fuel sounds cool at first, but I don't want to mess around with it all the time either. I think it should be used for jump drive only. That way you can still have some decent "out of gas" scenarios.
    "Captain! We don't have enough warptanium to jump home!"
    "Head for that planet. We'll set up shop and refine more fuel."
    It's still a problem, but it's not going to happen as often or be as critical. It just slows or inhibits long-distance travel. (Although I hope it's not actually called something stupid like warptanium.)

Reactions: Zeno9141
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    warptanium sounds great......

After these discussions, I changed my mind
    I think the power system should remain the same
    but adding the following new power system:
    1.)solar panel for factors to produce "warptanium" as fuel
    2.)A power reactor that eat fuel to produce more power than HCT xm3.4 for battle use
    or to boost up wrap drive as Valiant70 said above

should i open a new vote for these ?

Last edited by a moderator:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I guess if you have to stay near a star with your solar panels, it will be better to have them on a station and collect that fuel from time to time, rather than have all of it on your ship.
    But a few on your ship could be a great backup if you don't want to stuck somewhere...

I like fuel from solars and nebulae both, but I guess peoples will ask why free-energy-reactors can't produce fuel if solars do.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I guess if you have to stay near a star with your solar panels, it will be better to have them on a station and collect that fuel from time to time, rather than have all of it on your ship.
    But a few on your ship could be a great backup if you don't want to stuck somewhere...

I like fuel from solars and nebulae both, but I guess peoples will ask why free-energy-reactors can't produce fuel if solars do.
    Solar panels are for producing energy, maybe not fuel. This introduces another new item idea: fuel scoops. In the game OoLite, there are fuel scoops you can buy. In addition to grabbing floating debris and cargo, the fuel scoops allow you to gather fuel directly from stars for use in your FTL drive. The catch? You have to fly deep into the star's corona, and if you don't collect the fuel fast and get out in a hurry, you either overheat and blow up (OoLite) or your hull has melted away and your ship is badly damaged (Starmade).

If we don't want to use up more block IDs, make an existing block type (I'm thinking specifically of the currently-decorative grill block and wedge) take the place of fuel scoops.

Mod idea: heat levels for weapons and the ship core. Too much heat: kaboom

AI idea: nav points, cargo loading and unloading, and docking. Tell the AI to go to 400m away from the center of the star for 1 minute, then return to the station, unload cargo (fuel), then repeat twice. (After three trips, the AI fuel-gathering ship will need to be repaired, if it isn't already destroyed by the star damage.)