Efficiency ratings are completely out of whack!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This has been the case since the 0.156 update I believe.

In this video, I pilot a ship composed of 7 blocks:

- 1 Core
    - 2 Power Modules
    - 2 Engine Modules
    - 1 Overdrive Effect Computer
    - 1 Overdrive Effect Module

Upon activating Overdrive in flight mode, I am informed that the efficiency is at a ridiculous 2857.1%

That's essentially a 408/1 block ratio if we include the Overdrive effect module in the group, and a 476/1 ratio if we don't.

As a result I was capable of achieving a server-destroying speed of over 900 Km/h. At that velocity objects failed to load, resulting in the server freezing up for almost a minute in some cases.

I've noticed other effects are subject to the same efficiency scaling, having tested out Ion as a defensive effect. Exceeding 100% would cause damage to actually charge the shield past the limit, potentially forever so long as people kept shooting, basically making the ship invulnerable.

I've not found any threads that call attention to this issue, so I'm not sure if it's a bug or an intended change to the game mechanics. I'd also like confirmation that this can be reproduced on another player's system, so I'm sure it's not simply a problem with my installation.

Reaction score
    Servers have a default speed of 50 KM/H and most set it to a max of 200 so speed isn't an issue.

I think the game is still being balanced though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Servers have a default speed of 50 KM/H and most set it to a max of 200 so speed isn't an issue.
    Well, that was recorded on a server, using the default values. The effect seems to override the limitations set by the server, hence why it's a problem.

Reaction score
    I see. That is quite a problem, have you reported it as a feature issue?

Reaction score
    It's not a real problem, it only works on extremely small scouting ships.
    I tried doing it on a warp ring for my jedi fighter, thing can only top out at about 250 km/h and while that's 3x the server speedlimit I pretty much had to dedicate all of the spare space in my ship's ring to get it to do that.

Now, I havent tested it on a massive ship however and with all the extra space those can have, you very well might be able to concoct a massive flagship that can pretty much escape any situation through speed when the shields fall. THAT could be a problem but I don't have any ships of that size I'd like to retrofit to try.

Reaction score
    I would like it if activating the overdrive computer for extra speed would automatically disable weapons, turrets and maybe even the shields. Additionally you should not be able to activate it, while you are under fire.
    That way it could only be used for longer travels. Anything else just makes the servers speed limit useless.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It's bugged. You're only supposed to be able to go twice the server speed limit or something.

Reaction score
    I'll be honest. That looked pretty awesome! If severs could cope with that speed I wouldn't mind overdrive being this fast or even faster. I would like to see some limitations on it though. For example enabled overdrive should disable shields, weapons, turrets and all other systems. It should also make you blind in one eye and have horrible skin genetics.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be possible to use in combat, is it? Say, 10 seconds after being hit with something. Never tried the overdrive block.

Reaction score
    I'll be honest. That looked pretty awesome! If severs could cope with that speed I wouldn't mind overdrive being this fast or even faster. I would like to see some limitations on it though. For example enabled overdrive should disable shields, weapons, turrets and all other systems. It should also make you blind in one eye and have horrible skin genetics.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be possible to use in combat, is it? Say, 10 seconds after being hit with something. Never tried the overdrive block.
    I'd like the stop effect to shut down overdrive, maybe blocking it for a certain amount of time.. You could have long-range, high-speed(if there was a way to increase speed...), small, low-damage tracking missiles with a stop effect on them, call them Cruise Disruptors. :cool:

Reaction score
    I'd like the stop effect to shut down overdrive, maybe blocking it for a certain amount of time.. You could have long-range, high-speed(if there was a way to increase speed...), small, low-damage tracking missiles with a stop effect on them, call them Cruise Disruptors. :cool:

While I have to admit that missiles and everything to do with them give my massive throbbing blood-filled tree-trunk-girthed Soviet missile a tingling sensation, we have to be realistic here. Missiles can barely catch targets that move at normal speeds, let alone tracking targets that move at ~bananas km/h.

I think disrupting lasers are the best thing we can hope for at this point.

It's funny how Russia has missiles that can travel at the speed of 3 km IN ONE SECOND in atmosphere and on most servers we have missiles that can't even break 200 km IN ONE HOUR in vacuum.

At least we have lasers, though. Pew pew.

Reactions: PizzaPress
    Reaction score
    It's not very easy to use in small ships for combat, power is a PAIN; but for large ships? Maybe.

Reaction score
    ~bananas km/h.
    That does bring up the fact that many stats, like speed, are unchangable. And you can only change one stat of a weapon at a time. I think we should have the ability to add multi-computers, so long as their effects don't conflict(missile/minelayer both change weapon workings, AMC/Pulse may not work together if they make calculations go boom). Also, do missiles travel slower than cannons? If so, why? They don't really have a balance reason to be slower that I can think of. I guess they come pre-loaded with some explosive effect.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That does bring up the fact that many stats, like speed, are unchangable. And you can only change one stat of a weapon at a time. I think we should have the ability to add multi-computers, so long as their effects don't conflict(missile/minelayer both change weapon workings, AMC/Pulse may not work together if they make calculations go boom). Also, do missiles travel slower than cannons? If so, why? They don't really have a balance reason to be slower that I can think of. I guess they come pre-loaded with some explosive effect.
    They are slower to make cannons viable. Why the crap would I use cannons when I could use rapid fire missiles that have the same projectile speed?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    OH MY GOODNESS! Homeworld music in that video! So awesome!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    While I have to admit that missiles and everything to do with them give my massive throbbing blood-filled tree-trunk-girthed Soviet missile a tingling sensation, we have to be realistic here. Missiles can barely catch targets that move at normal speeds, let alone tracking targets that move at ~bananas km/h.

I think disrupting lasers are the best thing we can hope for at this point.

It's funny how Russia has missiles that can travel at the speed of 3 km IN ONE SECOND in atmosphere and on most servers we have missiles that can't even break 200 km IN ONE HOUR in vacuum.

At least we have lasers, though. Pew pew.
    ...The Missile + Beam combo can hit things, though. :P