Drone Wars Competition , Season 2

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The tournament has ended check out the result post here Drone Wars Competition , Season 2
    --( awesome sauce )---

Greetings fellow shipbuilders!
    It is about time we lift space combat again to the next level. Also the next level of AI design, it is time for another season of Drone Wars!

So the aim is to win the competition as the best drone builder to get Fame and Glory and i guess some sexy forum signatures along with the bragging rights ; )

The drone teams submitted will battle it out in open space in a double elimination tournament.
    8km cube locked sector but with default weapon ranges and ams are not shooting down own missiles.

- sadly i have to inform you that the judges probably will not be able to do their judgement ahead of time/at all. As it looks like, Borst is not interested in starmade right now, due to the glimpse behind the curtain as councilmember, he mentioned dal might not be interested either. So i messaged dal but no response yet :( So probably we will just have some awesome fights. Depending on my real life situation i might find the time to scout for new co-hosts but please do not nail me on that. Sorry

Judgement guidelines:
    - The drone team scored highest on the design scale (judged by Dalmont)
    - The drone team scored highest on the systems scale (judged by Drakkart)
    - The drone team scored highest on the features scale (judged by ToasterBorst)

----These will be announced at the 12th of august----
    - Winner of the tournament will be figured out at the 13th and maybe 14th of august live on Twitch
    - winner ranking overall summing up the 4 rankings each counting towards the final score with 25 %.
    also each of the 3 judges is given the opportunity to contribute a honorable mention of their liking.
    ( this time for real! )

Entry guidelines:

--- rack ruling altered to allow fully functional carriers ---

- entries must be submitted latest at Monday the 1st of august 2016 12:00 GMT (Noon)
    - Your drone team must not exceed 2500 mass (i do not want to see a single ship there even though it could technically fit into this rule, same goes for cube builds... remember the tournament is just 1/4 of the entire competition, there are 3 judges looking at your stuff first, if we hate it, it might not even fight, so please no mass regulations per single drone this season, surprise us in a positive way)
    - maximum of 3 different type of drones
    - Drone teams are to be submitted in a "rack" or deployment mechanism, the rack/mechanism weight is not counted to the allowed mass of the drones.
    the function of the rack, it's purpose is purely to deploy the drones, fully functional carriers are appreciated but just know that they won't be able to assist your drones for they are going to get removed before the match starts
    - The Rack name has to be of the format "dwr"_"builder name"_"optional rack name" i.e. dwr_drakkart_myherosrack
    - drone teams must be posted as link to the sment file (preferably as a starmade dock ressource) in this thread and be available as download. zip compression is allowed, other file formats are not accepted.

The tournament will be held at the weekend of the 13th and 14th of august, it will be recorded and streamed as well.

I wish everyone of you Good luck.
    And feel free to leave suggestions/comments in the thread.

Last edited:

Croquelune

An Imaginary Number's officer
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    No minimum/maximum drones number neither ?

Reaction score
    Time to build some new and improved gunship drones. I recently refitted a crappy design as an AMS turret testbed. I might just reuse it... in a suitably improved format, of course.
    I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Need an other intel : what will be the sector size ?

2 question:
    - Max Mass per drone?
    - Max Mass fleet drone?
    It seems there are no restrictions on this side this time.

Reaction score
    Well well well.......no mass limits. Now then, time to see about making an actual, to-scale TIE Fighter and Bomber group to kill you all.

Especially because, well, TIE Fighters are expendable. They're built to be expendable. Drones are expendable. Perfect match!

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I haven't tried building militant drones. I guess this could give me inspiration to try it out. :)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Well.. ok, Max total drone group dont exccess 2500 mass.. but what is the max mass per drone? i think the competition must have a limit mass per drone, if not, this will becone a one-ship competition, not a drone rack

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Well.. ok, Max total drone group dont exccess 2500 mass.. but what is the max mass per drone? i think the competition must have a limit mass per drone, if not, this will becone a one-ship competition, not a drone rack
    Not necessarily. More entities means more targets. Sure 2 drones might get utterly blasted but 2 more could get right up on the targets butt and tear it apart.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    we decided to leave it wide open this time for we were to restrictive in season one and a few people could not bring their drones because of that.
    So let us have faith in the Drone R&D thread which afaik figured out that the ai favores quantity and let us see what people come up with. though i added a little parsus in brackets there for for i also noticed we kind of left out the obligatory "no doom cubes"-rule just build as you love to and let's have a great tournament but build drones like unmanned expendable small craft which overwhelm in numbers. we got 2500 mass this time to get creative and also to eliminate the luck factor which might have influenced the last tournament by quite a bit.
    Drones are supposed to be smaller than fighter crafts ... well let us see ; ) i am interested in the submissions and even though i can not compete myself as judge you'll soon see what our engineers at DSY came up with given tha task of creating batttle drones.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460360629,1460360398][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Need an other intel : what will be the sector size ?

It seems there are no restrictions on this side this time.
    8km cube locked sector but with default weapon ranges and ams are not shooting down own missiles.
    Thanks for asking added it to the op

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Ooh I just finished off a nice drone design and this would be a good combat test.

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Sorry to bother you again but I prefer make it clear than have bad surprises during my WIP, can you also enlight these few matters :

How many entries per people ? (One per people I presume ? but I actually hesitate hardly between 2 or 3 concepts, that's why I prefer ask confirmation)

maximum of 3 different type of drones
    That "type" is a bit vague.
    Is it concern only drone's concepts/roles ? or also decorative and minor colours swapping changes ?
    I.e. : Imagine 4 strictly same drones about systems, hull general shape, roles and stats but with different colours, different superficial hull patterns (last external hull) or number assigned (n°1,2,3,4).
    In practical terms would it be possible to do something like that without getting disqualified by that rule : [C]-[R]-[O]-[Q]
    Or it'll be necessary to do that kind of stuffs : [CROQ]-[CROQ]-[CROQ]-[CROQ]

8km cube locked sector
    The rack's spawn will be closer to the center, closer to the system's border or in middleway between ?
    Taking cardinal Galactic North as marker, the opposents will be facing on North-South axe ? East-West ? or Zenith-Nadir ?

ams are not shooting down own missiles
    Friendly fire turned OFF so ?

Thanks for your attention

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    That was quick to start a new season :p
    Time to start working on an new team

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    2-3 days ago I finished a 3.7k mass drone designed to use 1mill E/s and refit a skirmisher to be a 2.2k mass fleet ship.

Too bad I cant use 4 of the former in this competition, but I might be able to use the wash in conjunction with something else.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Sorry to bother you again but I prefer make it clear than have bad surprises during my WIP, can you also enlight these few matters :

How many entries per people ? (One per people I presume ? but I actually hesitate hardly between 2 or 3 concepts, that's why I prefer ask confirmation)

That "type" is a bit vague.
    Is it concern only drone's concepts/roles ? or also decorative and minor colours swapping changes ?
    I.e. : Imagine 4 strictly same drones about systems, hull general shape, roles and stats but with different colours, different superficial hull patterns (last external hull) or number assigned (n°1,2,3,4).
    In practical terms would it be possible to do something like that without getting disqualified by that rule : [C]-[R]-[O]-[Q]
    Or it'll be necessary to do that kind of stuffs : [CROQ]-[CROQ]-[CROQ]-[CROQ]

The rack's spawn will be closer to the center, closer to the system's border or in middleway between ?
    Taking cardinal Galactic North as marker, the opposents will be facing on North-South axe ? East-West ? or Zenith-Nadir ?

Friendly fire turned OFF so ?

Thanks for your attention
    it does not make much sense to put in competiton for your own rack. but well if you can not decide it is up to you. i personally would test them against each other and then decide.

Type means a maximum of 3 different drone types a type being a systems design and/or mechanically wise equally equiped than another of that role. Preferably the types can be distinguished by looks.
    The judges are not going to judge more than 3 different drones per submission to determine their score. overall score = amount of type 1 x 1/3 of score of type 1, amount of type 2 x 1/3 of score of type 2, amount of type 3 x 1/3 of score of type 3 and if there is a type four then this leads to a disqualify. we need to keep the workload minimal sorry to cut into creative freedom here but we have to limit it.

the drone racks will be positioned closer to the borders so bot teams start out of amc weapon range of the opposing force probably facing each other but that might not always work out depending on deployment mechanic.

FF is off yes

No problem, you are welcome asking these.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1460396712,1460396584][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That was quick to start a new season :p
    Time to start working on an new team
    after season 2 we will have to wait untill next year for season 3. 2 seasons per year i think suffices

Croquelune

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Thanks, I guess I'm good now.

we need to keep the workload minimal sorry to cut into creative freedom here but we have to limit it.
    No problem it's understandable, it's already cool from you to organize & manage all that.