Does people still play this game?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    ill tell you the problem.
    at least 1/3 of gamers have a poor graphics card and cant stand 30-40 fps
    That's not even close to the main problem : too much people here think that SM is a game. Technically it's just a dev prototype lacking a great part of its functionnalities, and still in an unstable dev process.

I'm still playing. Singleplayer, last version before the big 0.200 update. (Still playing 0.199.654)
    Why ? Do you wait for the Weapon 3.0 and Universe updates to have a better gameplay ?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Why ? Do you wait for the Weapon 3.0 and Universe updates to have a better gameplay ?
    In short, yes, I'm waiting for better gameplay.

I am familiar with the pre-0.200 versions. From what I read in the forum, new post-0.200 versions sound unstable and frustrating for small-ship (<300m) builders like me, so it doesn't seem like a good system for me.

Reactions: Sachys and Alphajim
    Reaction score
    That's not even close to the main problem : too much people here think that SM is a game. Technically it's just a dev prototype lacking a great part of its functionnalities, and still in an unstable dev process.

Neah, I just chosen a version that is less crappy than current and future versions. Newer almost never means better, everywhere, but especially in SM.

Reactions: Captain Fortius
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Neah, I just chosen a version that is less crappy than current and future versions. Newer almost never means better, everywhere, but especially in SM.
    I understand. But devs won't bring back the old Power. Or they'll implement a 3.0, but that won't be the 1.0.
    As the game is (and will still be) better in MP, you won't be able to play online if you keep playing an outdated version.
    And the worst : you won't be able to have all the universe revamp and other nice updates.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm not playing at the moment mostly because I'm practicing what I preach.

If you don't want to deal with transition periods where certain things don't mesh well, then go play something else until they're done. Lot of stuff still bouncing back and forth, and I don't really want to be constantly redesigning, so I'm taking a break and playing other things until the universe update is done.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    I'm playing creative devbuild these days because testing is kinda fun, and I feel like maybe my bug-hunting, critique, and suggestions are helping to some small extent.

Reaction score
    Right now I'm in full singleplayer dev build mode as the weapons update is pretty cool and I want to stay on top of developments in case any of the devs ready my feedback or the discussion it provokes.

Plus, I want the new cannon asthetics for the ship I was building in stable. I hope dual twin cannon:cannons of doom are worth it by the time the weapons update is released.

Reaction score
    I still go on so to develop my template libary for interiors...

Maybe I'll work on other templates too....

But I'm mostly working on getting a better pc, after that, I'll really start playing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    i really hope the devs woke up and are putting some serious effort in it, so we can take the game itself serious again.
    i don't get my hopes up yet. if the weapons update turns out as another disappointment, then i dont expect this to become ever serious and will probably leave for good.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    Based on my limited testing of various flying gun testbeds and serious ship replicas in the dev build, I think it is a major improvement, and completely unlike the annoyance of Power 2.0.
    My big disappointment right now is with Power 2.0, specifically stabilizers and the streams for them. At least while the game is young, there is hope that Schema will tear them out or make them optional with another mechanic.

But it will be a long time before all the NPC and Planet stuff is anywhere decent.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I'm not playing at the moment mostly because I'm practicing what I preach.

If you don't want to deal with transition periods where certain things don't mesh well, then go play something else until they're done. Lot of stuff still bouncing back and forth, and I don't really want to be constantly redesigning, so I'm taking a break and playing other things until the universe update is done.
    Good philosophy. I took several months off myself while the new versions were not viable, and am cautiously back to occasional testing in dev build now that the game is getting close to playable again. I wish more of our established players had had your clarity about the changes when Schine made it clear how disruptive it was going to be.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    i really hope the devs woke up and are putting some serious effort in it, so we can take the game itself serious again.
    i don't get my hopes up yet. if the weapons update turns out as another disappointment, then i dont expect this to become ever serious and will probably leave for good.
    At least you'll leave if it's too disappointing. I respect that.

Not like some trolls lurking in there just for blaming devs and discouraging new players. Players who for sure don't have the same vision of their perfect SM, and some probably find it better than what those trolls want.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Not like some trolls lurking in there just for blaming devs and discouraging new players. Players who for sure don't have the same vision of their perfect SM, and some probably find it better than what those trolls want.
    ...somehow I feel that it was aimed at me (mostly because I am in the minority of the players who aren't Shine cultists)
    You want to know the bitter, oh very bitter truth?...
    I have no "perfect" vison of SM. I look at SM as it is, and, well... It lacks alot of the stuff that was promised long, long time ago. I mean, just look at any other game that has been in the development for this amount of time.
    I remember vividly my first expiriences with SM: overcrouded servers, old isanths spinning around, player skirmishes just outside spawn sectors, and huuuge faction wars both on servers and forums. It was poorly optimised, but at the same time simple enough for new players, and just... fun. Then the game kept getting "better" (more broken) and now here we are. A ship-building-simulator hanging on Steam, that will be finished in the next 10 years or so.
    I am not a troll, I am just rancorous player who feel fooled and lied to. Luring people to this game in its current state seems a bit immoral to me. Let them see what it is, and decide on their own.

Reaction score
    ...somehow I feel that it was aimed at me (mostly because I am in the minority of the players who aren't Shine cultists)
    I have no "perfect" vison of SM. I look at SM as it is, and, well... It lacks alot of the stuff that was promised long, long time ago. I mean, just look at any other game that has been in the development for this amount of time.
    I remember vividly my first expiriences with SM: overcrouded servers, old isanths spinning around, player skirmishes just outside spawn sectors, and huuuge faction wars both on servers and forums. It was poorly optimised, but at the same time simple enough for new players, and just... fun. Then the game kept getting "better" (more broken) and now here we are. A ship-building-simulator hanging on Steam, that will be finished in the next 10 years or so.
    I am not a troll, I am just rancorous player who feel fooled and lied to. Luring people to this game in its current state seems a bit immoral to me. Let them see what it is, and decide on their own.
    At least u let ppl have their own impressions of the game

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It wasn't even aimed at anyone. I just said that there are trolls doing useless shit.
    And with your answer it's clear you're not from the said trolls, as you've said yourself : "Let them see what it is, and decide on their own".
    Actually I don't care if someone loves the game or not, that's his right. What's annoying is when some just troll and do nothing else besides that.

Reaction score
    I understand. But devs won't bring back the old Power. Or they'll implement a 3.0, but that won't be the 1.0.
    As the game is (and will still be) better in MP, you won't be able to play online if you keep playing an outdated version.
    And the worst : you won't be able to have all the universe revamp and other nice updates.
    Yeah. IF I had some money, it would be easy to set-up a nostalgic server for my version and I bet by posting it in these forums I'll find some people who think like me and would come and play. But since I don't have the money, I'll have to wait for someone else to think like me first, then join his server. Any game is better in MP, I guess, but it's not really important to play with friends, actually. IDK.

Think of the planet revamps: They started as round pies perfect for mining or building on, then became the laggy 10 plates 10 gravity directions things that lag you when you just look at them and even lag you more if you destroy them, by placing 10 plates in space, even if there is no block remaining in any plate.

NPC revamps: Fleets can't mine, can't dock, can't fight without shooting one through all the others in the same fleet, then miss its target. Old system of 2 factions, one neutral and helpful to the point of resupplying player-owned shops for free, one hostile, it spawned fleets that had an obvious task and an obvious reason to be there. No convoluted player-NPC relations only the NPC understands, no reputation loss for defending your assets in your system(s) from NPC factions who hate you deeply for no reason, but have shady alliances with your friends.

Now, how good do you think Universe revamp will be, how much should the nostalgics regret not playing it?

Edit: Really, I think I am a troll. I say current version is no good, SM has no future and I would advice anyone and everyone to go play something similar but better: An obsolete version of StarMade. Best space sandbox ever, from the times its developer implemented features for this game to be fun, not to push players towards a play-style or another.

SM went inside the toilet and started spinning fast in there only when its developer understood optimization can go beyond the software and into the user's habits. And started optimizing player's habits. Everything was fine before, optimized or not. Nothing can be fine after, no matter how power, weapons or Universe are changed, as long as they are changed with the purpose of reducing player freedom in a sandbox game.

"Take measures against player spamming missiles because servers don't like it, even though server admins do like to spam missiles themselves when they play." This sort of "development" sucks no matter how it is implemented. The less development like that, the better the game. That is why older versions are better than current ones and the current ones are better than the future ones no matter what part of the game and how it is updated/changed.
    A server is not a player, so server's happiness matters less than players' hapiness. A server's owner can and will invest in his server way more if the game makes him happy and uses sheettons of resources than if the game runs smoothly with almost no resources required. Multiplayer Microsoft Hearts is already on the market, will always run smoother, have 0 server costs and make nobody happy, so there is no point in aiming in SM for that same behavior.

So, I'd rather play a good version alone, than a bad version with everybody. Though I would like to play a good version with everybody, but most of them do not want to. No pb... Development keeps on crushing hopes, sooner or later more and more players will think like me.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Koloss_Meshuggah