Does people still play this game?

Reaction score
    I've looked through the in-game server list a number of times, in the hopes that at some point it will change. But suddenly, and seemingly without warning absolutely NO ONE appears to be playing this game? What happened?!

Reaction score
    I played yesterday for 30 minutes again after 1 month pause. Built some floors then left again. :)

Not much to do when the only thing that works is building.

You have to wait for the power/weapons update. Because right now the game just isn't a game and only a few play it.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I assume that among those who prefer those areas of the game that are best enjoyed on multiplayer servers, only a few would care about those whose aspirations are best met in singleplayer creative mode, but anyways, we're still here, just mostly under the radar (or might be, I certainly am, among a few other diehard RP-ers who work in SP and showcase on SMD).

Recent mechanical developments have left the essential engineering areas of the game in a mess, and we're still waiting for the new power- and chamber system to be finalized, and the weapon update to be even released properly... So perhaps there's still some hope that life will replenish in StarMade after the aforementioned stuff will happen.

And then we will get the Universe-update. If all goes well, it's reasonable to assume that that will create some frenzy of activity, if all won't be lost by the time that update hits.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    You have to wait. Because right now the game just isn't a game and only a few play it.
    Or play obsolete versions, those that have the old bugs and exploits, because those are stable and development can't screw them up like it does to the power 2 ones. Some people do that.

Reactions: Captain Fortius
    Reaction score
    Or play obsolete versions, those that have the old bugs and exploits, because those are stable and development can't screw them up like it does to the power 2 ones. Some people do that.
    It's a legittimate time filler for the next 2 months! I could imagine joining such servers if there are enough people and thought out setup of blueprints that is provided from the the server.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    I believe many people are just sticking to SP for right since there is no point brining dev ship building to a MP server where the laws of nature change 1-3 times a day. I don't think there will be a huge and sudden resurgence after weapons 3.0 comes, but I know of at least 4-5 factions that plan to return to LvD after the update comes, and I would suppose a lot of the other older servers have similar followings. That should be enough of a kicking off point to see growth again if the game play is good enough

Reaction score
    Unless there is stuff to do online, SP it is for me. I highly prefer a stable server, my computer, without anyone to bump a ship or anything fancy. And well, i've nothing to do except build so why should i play with someone else anyway ?

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    Saying there isn't much game in our game is a fair criticism, but I still mess around on the cake build server an hour or two a day. There are still things in Starmade I haven't tried yet that won't be changing much.

I've also been trying to build a new faction base on GenXNova with the new power systems that's easier on my FPS, and more carefully laid out then the old base. However, I don't enjoy building stations to begin with and when you need to include a shipyard that's 600 blocks long, but the brush tool is constrained to 25 blocks per dimension by the server settings, it gets really tedious really fast. Especially when chat is dead and there's no one to talk to.

I have a few more ships in me yet, and hopefully between the weapons update and the universe update I'll have some good in-game reasons to come up with some more ideas to try.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I still play 5-10 hours a week. The new systems are are fun, but not developed enough to "play" in multiplayer. So I tinker in Single Player. Getting a decent feel for putting new sub-systems together - it definitely changes the way ships are put together quite a bit. As mentioned, when the galaxy update rolls out, the systems should be pretty stable and there will probably be a frenzy of renewed activity for a bit.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    I tried to test play survial in dev. Grappled to a miner passing spawn then the game crashed when I fired the torch.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I tried to test play survial in dev. Grappled to a miner passing spawn then the game crashed when I fired the torch.
    There are a lot of crash bugs in the current dev. I reported a bug where my client crashes every time I try to "Shift+V" to mass-connect things (e.g. doors) to an activation module. There are more crashes in general as well and not all of them so easy to pin down.

Reaction score
    In the release version, creative MP with friends only because PvP and survival both suck. Dev version isn't even working well enuff to try SP again yet.

And this isn't even that bad by StarmMade standards, this game has pretty much always been empty boring space with building ships only to find they can only be display pieces because basic stuff is super broken.

That said, power 2.0 is a huge letdown that just makes reactor building unfun, as even a basic flying gun to test the new weapons becomes a long tube of slow turning and general misery.
    Thus, I mainly build for asthetics and logic now, instead of also systems like I used to.

Reaction score
    In the release version, creative MP with friends only because PvP and survival both suck. Dev version isn't even working well enuff to try SP again yet.

And this isn't even that bad by StarmMade standards, this game has pretty much always been empty boring space with building ships only to find they can only be display pieces because basic stuff is super broken.

That said, power 2.0 is a huge letdown that just makes reactor building unfun, as even a basic flying gun to test the new weapons becomes a long tube of slow turning and general misery.
    Thus, I mainly build for asthetics and logic now, instead of also systems like I used to.

it is that bad by sm standards. people used to have wars and fight a lot, because the bugs were bad but didnt make it unusable.

now its basically nonexistent.

Reaction score
    Lol, same behavior, I play logic and regex... I try Dev because bored by current but no real interest expect unexpected bugs.
    Duing some days I played... wiki ! good results in a way, but not shows nothing but boring...
    As a recent post, my goal isn't war or domination, but expand manage create and preserve by weapons for "0pp0nent" who look after this law.
    As a new comer, It's seems for me that, all of this changes on powers weapons etc... and answers from players show that only actuals interesting things in the game are... (the same as in the reality, less bitchs...)
    As if there was more thirdSSS parts interests (and gameplay) so many people may not be as angry. When Only one goal/gameplay, then if you touch it, No loophole, no things to do around, all the game become .. different.

Reaction score
    Judging by the Steam statistics for some reason they actually do.

SM steam stats.png
    There is a strong emphasis on the word concurrent.

If we say the average playing time is 2 hours and say that graph has a median of 50 players for 48 hours means roughly about 500 players booting up the game around the globe each day.

The alarming thing is however the amount of concurrent player tendency in large scale which suggest basically an already non existent playerbase for the end of this year. :)

Other interesting statistics to take into account other than concurrent players are the follower base of content creators on popular media like youtube and twitch.

SM youtube stats.png
    SM twitch stats.png
    The tendency is clear in the case of youtube which again paints a really bad picture and basically abysmal in the case of twitch where the follower base is basically the same as when a random guy starts streaming any random game on the platform.

Answer to the question is that yes there are some who still do but not for long... I don't see any sign of a miracle which could do an efficient enough CPR to bring this game back to life. The development is just too slow and unprofessional for that.

Since I saw a lot of potential in this game i still creep around reading the forums every now and then to see what's going on but it's just a habit as of now... don't think much will come of it and it pains me to the very core... :(

Reaction score
    Because there's still a lot of fun in it. At least the ship-building, for me. Combat looks to be fun again when the new weapons in the dev build finish balancing as well.
    I agree conic acid shapes will look indeed really funny.