Docking Clamps

Reaction score
    So earlier today i was chilling on StarBits, making some random additions around my base, when an awesome idea struck. Docking Clamps. I immediately worked out the logic in my head, as i built a base frame. But then i realized i needed a ship. None of my ships would look good with docking clamps, so i headed to the good ole Community Content page and found a great ship to use:
    USS Horizon made by Wilavid7
    I proceeded to throw together some logic, and voila, i had a working clamp. But then this happened:

the pirates destroyed almost all the logic systems and derailed the main post

But eventually I finished the clamps. Here is an album showcasing them:
    I plan on expanding this greatly. What i would like to do is add more clamps, make it look better, add some more logic, and then finally make a streamlined version that can be added to anyone's base, and hold any ship. Feedback is appreciated, I will keep this post updated with recent changes and additions.
    Hope you liked it!
    FireG0dz

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Chomp chomp. That would be great on a freighter or something - declamping cargo pods. What's the distance between the clamps?

Reaction score
    UPDATE:
    Added 2 new clamps before i go for the night.
    That is some pretty amazing work right there. Can't see where you can take this and how you build it into your base. Next time leave a few protection ships floating around your space for those pesky pirates.

Reaction score
    I feel your pain,dam pirates love to show when your not ready for them...ie out of ship in a core taking pics,what a mess!

Reaction score
    That is some pretty amazing work right there. Can't see where you can take this and how you build it into your base. Next time leave a few protection ships floating around your space for those pesky pirates.
    Right now this is a WIP, but eventually i plan of modulating it and having people copy and paste them onto a base, although i will have to include instructions on what to connect to what between parts
    I feel your pain,dam pirates love to show when your not ready for them...ie out of ship in a core taking pics,what a mess!
    Yeah those pirates got me twice, but they wont anymore due to the fact that i added a fleet of Horizons and another fleet of Renegades.
    [doublepost=1470579122,1470578651][/doublepost]Well guess what just happened again?!?! My faction got deleted and i was sent to spawn! Luckily i saved it after I finished adding the 4th clamp so i didnt lose any progress, but i had a couple ships from Project Talon out there UNSAVED. I have no clue what sector they were in, so i have to restart EventHorizon27 's ship and make some progress up on Phoenix7991 's ship. I'm going to take a break from these clamps for today and maybe tomorrow and work on Project Talon.

EDIT - Due to Talon's first failure, (not really on our part, but its still a bad failure for us) Talon is receiving budget cuts, leading it to close down temporarily. In the meantime, work on the clamps will continue

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    UPDATE:
    [doublepost=1470586498,1470583312][/doublepost]UPDATE:

Reworked the Logic into a 9x2x5 Copy/Pastable Box
    [doublepost=1470587074][/doublepost]I just realized that it's impossible to copy down something that has docked entities to it, so instead I'm just going to post it under Community Content, after trimming down on some of the armor

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Looks good.

It might be a good idea to make a version with a normal USD on the main clamp that attaches to the ship, rather than the single rail block. It would make it much more universal and dock more smoothly. I'm pretty sure USD's wouldn't work with the USS Horizon since its an unusual USD (docked USD Ports on the sides), but for normal ships with side-mounted USD's built in the main ship, it would be extremely useful. You wouldn't have to modify the ship any, and it would be easily recognizable where you're supposed to dock.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    FireG0dz i recommend you use the gif record of the game.. in my opinion is more great than record with your phone :p

otherwise, good dock desing bro

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Remember with your logic: If you have one rail direction that is used in multiple places, you can place activation blocks on each side of it. Saves a bit of space.

Like so:

Last edited: