Do not make this game die

Meta was better before?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    [1.]"How are factories difficult?" YES TO NEW PLAYERS OF COURSE,
    [2.]as an engineer the first thing that I've been taught is, even most difficult things are really simple once you did it
    serioulsy, how subjective
    [1.] Explain how a serch box is difficult. It even gives you a tech tree. Also, in the tutorial they step you through it. Your not making a mega ship of anything(I think it's thrusters and power blocks?) but it shows you how.
    [2.] That does not mean that all things that people think are easy are imposible mind games to anyone new to it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I like this game and I want to make it better if I can
    "Make constructive suggestions or gtfo." with the link you made with tomino, do you mean "agree or ban" ?

"I hate combat" yep, and some people like it, doesn't mean you tell them "gtfo" (thats constructive?)
    "I play purely single player" yep, and some people like multiplayer

"How are factories difficult?" YES TO NEW PLAYERS OF COURSE, as an engineer the first thing that I've been taught is, even most difficult things are really simple once you did it

serioulsy, how subjective
    I hate when I do this, but you should read my signature

You are complaining on this and that, but you never give out any solution/suggestion.
    And you choose to ignore the fact that there do have plans to solve the problem you are complaining about.
    I mean m8 you......NVM, just read my forum signature.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Were there really tons? Or do you just remember something differently?

I've not been here for that long and I'm not into multiplayer, but most of your issues here are, at least from your presenting of them, the fault of the community and not the fault of Schine. Yes, we would all like some updates that make it more interesting to go exploring stations, flying through space, interacting with the environment. But if you want that now, well, join a good RP server. PVP's always slow, because NOBODY wants to lose their ship, so they don't risk them if they don't have to.
    TL;DR: we as the community can improve new players' experience, assuming that we are losing players that fast.
    There was a time when there were 1500 people on the website at almost any given time during the day. Back when the StarMade servers website first launched, the first couple pages were all averaging 10 or more players.

PVP used to be fast, dirty and always pyyrhic, kind of like a late night street brawl. Now it reminds me of the mating manoeuvres of ocean megafauna.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    When I was a lad we played Hoop and Stick. Now there was a game! No fancy gizmos and dongles and no learning curve. Players came from all around and root-beer flowed on tap. Wars were fun and filled with glory 'N guts and the weather never changed. Old people rode bicycles and never told the same story twice. The government cared and rich people shared their doubloons with the homeless, and it never rained, unless the farmers complained.

;)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This game have been losing players over years and I have been here for 3 years
    I'm always very suspicious of players who claim to have been around a long time, yet have new accounts.

The game really need a action mode, pvp battle thing with limited sectors, limited ship size
    (and if you tell me it have one, you know this is not even an option today...)
    This... literally already exists? It's a community problem that there aren't any servers running it.

1: no there is no active pvp server today
    False. GenXNova and Shattered Skies are both popular PvP servers.

2: as explained no you must go into fancy stuff just to get a starter ship
    You say this as if designing ships in the old days wasn't complex, too. The game's just complex in different ways now. What do you think is harder to understand- the master/slave/effect system, or the waffleboard meta? SHP or coring? Rail docking or boxdim docking? Sure, there's things like passive effects and logic systems, but those aren't needed for a person's first ship, when they're just learning the game.

Also, any good server comes with a usable starter ship for the complete newb to learn how to play with.

3 explain why there was TONS more people on the old meta? instant pvp?, you still had choice to buid btw
    Because the community shrunk during down times in development. People got bored, left, and never came back. Old meta was not instant PvP, no more than the current game, and if you think it was, your perceptions are being twisted by nostalgia.

there is an outdated wiki, not much players to explain,
    Starmadepedia is not very outdated. It has some problems, but it's mostly accurate. If you see a problem in an article or an article is missing, stop whining about it and fix it.

Reaction score
    And more on lecia's reply.
    The worst memory of StarMade have come back to my mind.
    Have you ever try the old crafting system of StarMade?
    The one use all kinds of CUBATOMS?

That is the thing people need to learn before the factory system.
    THAT IS A NIGHTMARE! You sure you want that old META back?

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    Because the community shrunk during down times in development. People got bored, left, and never came back. Old meta was not instant PvP, no more than the current game, and if you think it was, your perceptions are being twisted by nostalgia.
    lol I did that with wow vanilla
    I mean about the nostalgia

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Have you ever try the old crafting system of StarMade?
    The one use all kinds of CUBATOMS?
    To be honest, I kind of liked the randomness of the recipes before cubatom. It made no sense, but it was a fun gimmick, IMO at least.

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    Its... a voxel game...

Everybody knows what Minecraft is and how its played at this point. You see a voxel game, you know you're going to be building stuff with blocks. Its the definition of the entire genre.

People who don't like building don't play voxel games in the first place. Its like saying we were making a new Mortal Kombat game and you said "Some people don't like fighting"...
    I love building, fighting and then building again better designs after fights, or build complex logic system to make password autodestruct etc
    but it can't be ONLY about building, it can be about exploring, trading, pvp, mining

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Was the meta better before?
    ...God... no... This is nostalgia for its own sake, the old meta of Start > Mine > Sell > Buy Titan was absurd, and can still be enabled in server settings if you want to play arcade mode.

Is it pretty much incomprehensible & difficult for new players to get their head around leaving them frustrated with the game and likely ending in them leaving shortly after never to play again?
    ...possibly.

Information is constantly changing every patch so it's hard to maintain full tuts/wiki's on all the necessary knowledge, couple that with the politics & secrecy involved in this game and you end up with a pretty hostile environment for new players.

I love the steep learning curve, but am willing to admit that at this point even basic early game things like factories/inventory management, building & travel are all pretty hardcore on a fresh player. Two things I notice are a huge help for those new players overcoming this, RECENT YouTube tuts & joining a well established faction. However both of these are community based solutions and might not be available to them or immediately obvious, something official like an up to date online or in game wiki would go a long way.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    In regards to the post above chat is usually able to answer just about any question about the game... unless its why your AMD card is glitching, no one knows that not even Schema.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Really? Seems pretty current to me. Are you going to the right one?
    Crimson-Artist, care to comment?
    Seems really current until you try to use it for something like weapons and effects. It's quite frustrating to have to tell people that the wiki is horribly outdated and useless in some regards and need to personally explain punch and pierce again and again.

And before you say anything, no, I will not update. I failed English for a reason, and I refuse to write and understand and error ridden blob of text that will need correcting for months just so someone else doesnt have to do it, cause in the end someone else will have to redo whatever I put anyways.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I love building, fighting and then building again better designs after fights, or build complex logic system to make password autodestruct etc
    And thats why you are playing a voxel game instead of Contra. Because the game has to be specifically built around building for you to have that kind of options. Which means if you don't like building, you don't want to play voxel games.

If you don't like building, then this is an entire genre you should avoid.
    but it can't be ONLY about building, it can be about exploring, trading, pvp, mining
    Its not. But you know what it is? An Alpha. Alpha means major features are still being added.

Is it mostly building right now? Yes, yes it is. Because literally EVERYTHING ELSE that can be done relies on the ability to build being fully in place. You don't build the house until the foundation is in place. You want to talk about building the walls and the second floor when the concrete isn't even fully poured for the foundation yet, much less dried.

Which means the entire thing would just crumble into a mess because then it wouldn't be able to do anything correctly. So yeah, currently we're focuses mostly on building because building is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART. It needs to be 100% right before anything else can be added.

Reactions: kiraen
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you want this game to be good, stop crapping on it and calling it an ONLY building game. Odds are you haven't been in a server with a block or mass limit, it fixes the whole "build forever" stage of the game. Spread it around to your friends, install it on their pc without their permission, advertise on the Internets, do whatever you can really.

Don't want to lose blocks? Play a server with a crazy high mining rate.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Was the meta better before?
    ...God... no... This is nostalgia for its own sake, the old meta of Start > Mine > Sell > Buy Titan was absurd, and can still be enabled in server settings if you want to play arcade mode.
    Sure... One problem, though, the game doesn't currently support combat beyond 'arcade mode.' Nobody wants to sacrifice blocks that they spent hours grinding rocks for, for no gain. The old, 'broken' economy was superior because combat was low-risk and low-to-no-reward. Now it's high risk and low-to-no-reward unless you're attacking a cargo ship, and why would anyone need to carry a large volume of cargo anyways? The end result being that nobody fights unless they are 1, an asshole, and 2, certain that they will be able to get rid of their enemy with minimal or no damage to themself.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Unless we want to make complaining a part of our international heritage, just make sure any good ideas here are sent to the appropriate threads so schema can read it without feeling like this thread is blaming the dev's choices on what the game should be.

Blame the community but society does not move on one mans word.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Blame the community but society does not move on one mans word.
    Unless what you're saying is a really, really horrible idea. Then society tends to jump on your bandwagon faster than you know what happened.

Like Andrew Wakefield.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    the problem is, I don't have time to play this game anymore. It's much more time consuming than before. Retrofitting my flag ship took me a couple months already, and still I'm not satisfied with results. Not even think is half way done. There is much to be added, changed, polished. And my other ships waiting for an retrofit. Playing on server not even an option right now, even more time consuming. I wish there is an option to just connect to server, join an npc faction and blow some shit up just for fun.

Come on, fulfill our thirst for war and destruction! xD

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.