Meta was better before?

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally i have lost interest in the game because it takes so long to do anything i have never been very good at the logistical part of starmade the factories have taken too long and not been very fun i liked the previous system of the credits for ships but i understand the need for that to change so when the blueprints came out it took longer to get but did feel more rewarding but with shipyards it takes too long and the shipyards can be arduous to use for certain ships (star trek and battlestar galactica style).

After the shipyards it became too hard to make ships to risk them in PVP before this i was able to have PvP often and it was fun but now everyone how i have seen on the serves that i used to play on do not want to because the risk of losing the ship is too great and would take too long to rebuild.

Its why i have stuck to when i do play when the new updates come out i stay single player just to mess around so in total the system could be improved upon but it is ok for now we will just have to see what happens and if the game does die (that i hope it does not) the world will be without one great game.

Reaction score
    My two cents. I will say that the factory/mining/shipyard system is massively daunting. I've pretty much focused on creative building for fun to this point, and recently decided to try and figure out factories and mining for a project.

Over one week later and I'm still completely lost.

For a new player it has to only be that much more confusing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I do agree that some players experiences might be better with a coherent guide. The issue with that is that the game is in constant flux, and the efforts at keeping a wiki updated start to feel wasted after the third or fourth re-write.

My advice to players having issues understanding aspects of the game is to join a faction willing to take on new players. there are many of them, and they can be a great benefit.

Reaction score
    I do agree that some players experiences might be better with a coherent guide. The issue with that is that the game is in constant flux, and the efforts at keeping a wiki updated start to feel wasted after the third or fourth re-write.

My advice to players having issues understanding aspects of the game is to join a faction willing to take on new players. there are many of them, and they can be a great benefit.
    Catch there. I know I'm not the only one but I don't want to get caught in the faction fighting. I remember the days of Ridik_ulas and Obi and others. There should be a way to learn how to play without getting into a mini war is my point.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Tons of people seriously ? I have rarely seen anyone on server...
    Fancy things ? When I started I just grab core with energy and jump drive... don't know what you are talking about

Reaction score
    I agree with a few things in this thread, as a fellow player of multiple build and pvp servers for the past 3~4 years.
    First, we do need a quest/mission system in the game besides the current mine/build/destroy monotony. Most of the content in this game relies on how the server owner runs their server. For example Elwyn Infinity is a conquest pvp server where factions utilize multiple claimed systems and must defend them from warring factions. This adds more interesting concepts to the game that a normal "PVP" server would not have. Basically it's up to the server to generate the "quests and missions" at this point in StarMade's developement.

Second, The wiki does need some serious updating yet there are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube that can show people how to build with the new blocks/logic/effects(granted no one is gonna reveal their weapon builds). This is not the same StarMade I started playing back in 2012 where we didn't have wedges or logic systems, the game has been evolving and the logic, effect, and all other newfangled blocks are what the community wanted and asked for via this forum.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    as a fairly new player I took inspiration from the ship builds on the docks and looked to ytube vids, I learned a lot of build style that way from the speed build videos. Here's a shout out to all the incredible mega builders here keep up the great work!

Reactions: GeekNinja and Valck

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I remember back when there were no jump drives, people would make their bases 20-30km from spawn. That was around 15-20 minutes of straight line travel to get to. Now, people make their bases 1000km away from spawn. That's around 15 minutes of jump drive charging and jumping.

So should jump drives be removed? Oh hell nah.

Reaction score
    I remember back when there were no jump drives, people would make their bases 20-30km from spawn. That was around 15-20 minutes of straight line travel to get to. Now, people make their bases 1000km away from spawn. That's around 15 minutes of jump drive charging and jumping.

So should jump drives be removed? Oh hell nah.
    so you are saying it did not change anything but space between bases? which means less chance of seeing players and less chance of engaging pvp

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    so you are saying it did not change anything but space between bases? which means less chance of seeing players and less chance of engaging pvp
    Which is IMHO the reason people do so, not everyone thinks that Starmades main focus is to become yet another PvP-centric game.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Building a ship that works is incredibly easy. core+power block+thruster and your done. Making a super effective ship is hard- as it should be. If you won't put in effort, you should not have the best ship. And if you don't like building ships, you really should be playing a different game.

The reason that their is not much PvP is because their is no incentive to do so- something that has not changed at all since the game came out.

I honestly think the real issue is that their are too many games these days designed for people to just pick up and play, with no learning curve or thought involved. This creates a gaming community of little kids with attention spans that can't take mechanics much more complex than "shoot at it until it dies". So of course, when they try a game that needs thought and has complex mechanics, they leave.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    No, I'm saying that there was a functionality gain to jumpdrives, such as making it easier to reach new solar systems and places, and that it didn't make a difference to relative base travel times.

The chances of randomnly encountering someone before jump drives was already really really low, so it's not like it made much of a difference for that either.

Reaction score
    An economy update would really make a reason for factions to PVP, increasing action on servers.

That said, the original post of this suggestion appears to be the highly controversial and unproven idea that SM is losing players and interest faster than we're gaining them. The truth is up for discussion, but from what I've seen, it's definitely not a universal opinion that people are leaving and not coming back.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wow, yet another one of these threads. SkylordLuke, does "I know better then Schine and they should do it my way" get a slot on the FSM? Maybe we should just make a "Schine Sucks" subforum.

Most of these complaints are very old.
    Same response I've given in the last five of these threads. Wait for it.....
    It's ALPHA.

Missions are planned. Stellar phenomenon are planned. The tutorial will be rewritten. They just hired Danki as the sound guy. There is so much planned for this game it baffles the mind. The engine isn't even finished yet and you are complaining that the tire is flat.

there is an outdated wiki
    Really? Seems pretty current to me. Are you going to the right one?
    Crimson-Artist, care to comment?

chetyre said:
    required blocks to spawn ship
    I was not aware the ship core was a recent mechanic. I had thought it was part of the game from the beginning.I guess learning is half the battle.
    Today:
    ship >> need all the blocks >> shipyard / factories >> hours of building >> farming >> building salvager >> know about factories to make one in the first place >> know about faction to have actual output
    (basicly to get a decent ship you must know factories, farming, factions, building, even by knowning all tips in the game, starting on a server takes me hours / days, its not even possible to imagine for a new player)
    I play purely single player, so I'm not exactly sure how servers are different. I love to start with just the spawn resources and see how far I can get before the next update. At which point I will generate a new galaxy and start over.
    I assume you mean farming pirates, cuz crops aren't in the game yet. I hate combat, mostly cuz I suck at it. Obviously, I don't farm pirates. But with the new fleet mechanics I might give that another shot.
    I've never built a shipyard. Never seen the point. I like building my ships by hand. But that's just me.
    How are factories difficult? Select the output, read the freaking recipe, put in the ingredients or link a storage.
    You might want to try building a salvager first instead of waiting for hours and doing it the hard way.
    What do factions have to do with any of that?
    Before:
    ship >> money >> pirates / salvaging / selling / scraping
    OMG, how boring! I am so glad this game has progressed.

Saying the game is stupid and you don't like it doesn't help anyone.
    Make constructive suggestions or gtfo.

That's my involvement in this thread, I have better things to do then listen to another whiner. Honestly, my first thought was 'Oh look, a tomino alt'.

Moving on.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Meh I think the game is fine now, Imo if you can't figure the basics out on your own then your an idiot.
    However I don't really like the idea of Shipyards in fact I preferred it when you had to spend credits for a ship blueprint, non of this mamby pamby needing all the blocks to build the ship just to spawn the thing...

Reaction score
    I like this game and I want to make it better if I can
    "Make constructive suggestions or gtfo." with the link you made with tomino, do you mean "agree or ban" ?

"I hate combat" yep, and some people like it, doesn't mean you tell them "gtfo" (thats constructive?)
    "I play purely single player" yep, and some people like multiplayer

"How are factories difficult?" YES TO NEW PLAYERS OF COURSE, as an engineer the first thing that I've been taught is, even most difficult things are really simple once you did it

serioulsy, how subjective

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Your points are ALL subjective, chetyre. Factories could be, and will hopefully become, easier.

Right now, however, all we can do it propose changes and recommend things to Schine and see what comes of it.

Or, you could join/create a server or forum group with the intent of repairing what you see as problems, instead of creating a suggestion thread that suggests nothing.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Your points are ALL subjective, chetyre. Factories could be, and will hopefully become, easier.
    Yea, I'm trying to make that happen. Or at least make the devs understand that the current system is crap unfun to use.

Reactions: Top 4ce

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is the problem, lot of people don't like building
    Its... a voxel game...

Everybody knows what Minecraft is and how its played at this point. You see a voxel game, you know you're going to be building stuff with blocks. Its the definition of the entire genre.

People who don't like building don't play voxel games in the first place. Its like saying we were making a new Mortal Kombat game and you said "Some people don't like fighting"...

Reactions: Keptick
    Status
    Not open for further replies.