Different coloured Crystals? Pointless!

Reaction score
    I'm not sure if they are being coded into the game or are just a fun mod, but still...

I know it isn't my place to say anything but how would different colours of ice crystal make the game better in any way? Ice crystals are supposed to be that: crystals of ice. As in blue.

Different colours of Ice Crystals are just silly and a pointless waste of time that could be used to bring something that users have actually wanted like:

1) Coloured projectiles

2) More hull colours

3) More Plexlight colours

Like I said, I might be overreacting on this but still it seem like a mad idea.

Reaction score
    I\'m sorry, but it appears that my reference to the ice crystal block mislead you to assume all the new types are ice... they\'re not. There\'s many kinds of crystal and I assure you, the majority of players have asked for this.
    As for workload priority\'s its simple, these blocks take no time or effort on schemas part, Kupu is the one working on them. Try not to assume that what you see in the news \"leaks\" is all that\'s going on.

Reaction score
    Crystals are not always chrystaline H2O and people like diversity in coloring their ships.

And even christalline water, no matter which phase, ice IV or ice VII can be doped with other atoms to color them. And the universe is dirty, you\'ll sparsely find any pure frozen water. Chrystals are actually any kind of matter interconnected in a grid-like way.

And yes, I think as well, that there are issues, that should be higher priorized before adding more aestethics.

Edit: Since this work is beeing delegated (Thanks Kupu for his awesome work) and I just read about it (thanks Calibri, you were faster ;) I don\'t see any problems in implementing AAALL the colors and chrystals :D

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Do these crystals glow?

Reaction score
    I didn\'t assume that that is all you\'re working on, nor that you\'re prioritising this over anything else. That would be a bum move on my part. When have people asked for this? I haven\'t seen any threads about them. (I\'m not challenging you, I\'m just being inquisitive/nosey.)

Reaction score
    Chystals don\'t glow by themselves :D

Gotta charge \'em first. With em-radiation.

But this is a game and not a simulator for quantum-mechanics and christallurgy, so glowing ice as well as everything else is valid, lol.

+ to multiciolor chrystals

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe because you called colored ice crystals pointless, Toyota?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    My initial reaction was similar to OP\'s for a second. But adding different colors of the same block is most likely child\'s play to add. No harm done even if the main devs worked on it.

Nature forms many types and colors of crystals. Aesthetically they are a fine addition. Maybe in nature they should be on different planets that complement their color in caves or something, to encourage exploration. That would kind of be like the caves in Star Wars the Jedi use to gather crystals for their lightsabers. Any word on how these crystals will actually be implemented in the game initially? Will we only be able to access with admin commands or will they start popping up on planets and such?

Reaction score
    I believe that this is a good way for us to have other options how to decorate ships which is awesome but I really miss pure white crystals. It\'s weird to see now so many ships with light blue engines, it\'s hard to make exact models with that. So please add pure white ones.

And if you feel very generous crystal wedges would be fine as well. In many custom block packs it was the most wanted thing.

Reaction score
    Well currently there are 3 different block-types you can use as a glowing decoration, those are: ice crystals (mostly used), lava (also nice to look at but I lost 2 ships already because I placed lava-decoration and then accidentally stepped into it, died and when I finally found them, they where destroyed by some stupid n00bs -.-) and plex lights (I never use those for deco...the border makes them useless for most decoration-types (like glowing hangar-doorframe or thruster-coverage).

I love the idea to have more such things especially because my ships are mostly focused on design, not on power or \"cubeness\".

Wedges might also be nice but not necessary ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Essentially rimless lights. Sure. Can we also get shaped lights in vanilla?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Lots of players have asked for a wider variety of blocks to build ships with, more terrain elements in the world and different lighting effects.

Slowly adding more variety of crystals and terrain allows all 3 of those things.

How would it ever be pointless to add more variety to a creative building game?

To answer some questions;

-Yea they will glow and emit light similar to the ice crystal.

- No the preview image is not the final asset but prototypes with no glow or effects.

- Bismuth is awesome. I\'ll see.

-White crystals are incoming.

- Wedge crystals is something i\'ll bring up with the devs,

@ toyota, why would you ever think because we made some more crystals we were neglecting other hull colours / lights or particle effects?

as for who asked? I\'m pretty sure my Texture pack thread and public chat have mentioned it a few times.

Hope that clears it up for you, and yes you\'re over reacting. :P

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    ... this is a game and not a simulator for quantum-mechanics and christallurgy, so glowing ice as well as everything else is valid, lol.

Made me smile.

Reaction score
    This is awesome! Some people may find it pointless but every new block to me is a godsend. To people like me who spend so much time making ships and trying to make them both functional and cool looking every new block we can get to comstomize further is amazing. When the new block shapes came out i spent 2 days straight building new things with the possibilities it opened up. In a game where customization is a core element of the game, every new block makes it even better.

Reaction score
    but it\'s kinda disappointing to see it in the news; Maybe some weeks or months later we\'ll give you a few more colors on crystal blocks!

Meanwhile at the other game\'s news; We\'re giving you slider adjustable colors on every block. Now.

Do you see the difference?