Developer Q&A - October 2014

Reaction score

Hey everyone! Welcome to the first community-driven dev Q&A! A few of us got together and asked @kupu and @Calbiri some questions we wanted the answers to. We'd like to host these every month around this time, allowing all of you to get your burning questions answered. More importantly, the goal is to catalog the answers for all to see in the future. So, without further adieu, let's get started.
    Q: What exactly is the “universe update”?

CALBIRI: "We are working on updating what block types the planets generate with, how the asteroids, planets, stars and galaxies are laid out (to be more in line with the common expectations a player generally has) It also includes the crafting update and the FTL systems that we have already released as the work on the underlying larger scale changes progress."

Q: Is there anything in particular planned after this universe update? If so, what?

CALBIRI: "I’m not certain, but I’d guess expansion of the single player aspect of the game and possibly work on factions or missions. Since Schema is the one doing the coding, it’s really up to him which system is best to implement next."

Q: What are your plans for future texture packs and the ones we already have?

KUPU: "Plans are to complete the default texture pack and maintain it as the default option. The only other texture pack I am considering continuing (and overhauling to improve the quality) is the Pixel pack. Creating new texture packs is a lot of work, I would struggle to create a new one and maintain the current art assets / projects in development."

Q: What is the plan for the currently unreleased minelayer system?

KUPU: "The minelayer is postponed for now and may (hopefully) appear in the future. It was postponed to avoid overlapping roles in our current weapon pairing systems. Cal has a plan for it eventually."

Q: What has changed with the crafting system in the dev build?

CALBIRI: "Its now a three tiered crafting system, with a split of resource income at the refining level. You’ll now get alloyed metal and composite crystal from refining, as well as the specific capsule types. These are then spent on the crafting tiers, basic crafting uses mostly the alloy and composite, while standard uses a mix of those and colored capsules. Finally, the advanced factory uses primarily capsules. This spreads the resource load needed to make items focused on easy to make basic blocks and harder to make (through rarity of resources, not complexity) the advanced blocks."

Q: What are your thoughts on AI fleet control?

CALBIRI: "I’d like some fleet control, although one must not mistake simulated “AI” in the gaming since with -actual AI-, we’re never going to see truly complex intelligent behavior from npc’s in our game. But basic fleet orders and interactions as well as specific behavior parameters are something I look forward too."

Q: Are there any plans for stellar phenomena, like black holes?

CALBIRI: "Yes, but that's not confirming black holes specifically. We plan on adding more stellar variety, but what types and how they affect gameplay are not firm decisions yet."

Q: Will we ever get textures that are higher resolution than 256?

KUPU: "No, the maximum resolution will stay at 256 pixels. Any more will kill performance and becomes a little redundant in a voxel game like starmade. I’m quite sure the game doesn’t allow 512 textures to be loaded at the moment anyway. The aim currently is to make textures that look good at all current resolutions but great in 256. With normal map support and continued lighting / texture improvements, I feel we now have all the tools available to create a good looking voxel game. We don’t need much more texture wise."

Q: What is the number one thing you would like to see put into Starmade?

CALBIRI: "I think the next thing I look forward to the most is player content. Specifically player gear, armor, weapons, utilities, tools, other equipables, and how you obtain and utilize these. This should go a long way to providing alternate game styles to explore besides just building a cool ship and flying it through the void as if that wasn't cool enough already."

KUPU: "I’m really excited for the Fauna system. It has massive potential to bring loads of life and variety to the universe. Space whales."

Q: Do you guys play any games outside of StarMade? If so, which ones?

CALBIRI: "I haven’t played many games lately, I unfortunately don’t have much spare time outside of my day job and the work I do here at Schine. When I do rarely get a chance to play, I enjoy storylines and creative type games, so RPG’s and Sandbox games are generally my favorite, also RTS games. Armored Core, Final Fantasy, various RTS’s, I burned a few years away on WoW, I was hooked on MC for some time as well. Recent favorites are Starbound, KSP, FTL, MC, and of course, Starmade!"

KUPU: "I’m currently playing through some old final fantasy games (7/8/9) and GTA 5. Starcraft 2 custom games to chill out sometimes."

That wraps up this month. Thanks for reading and please, feel free to post questions you want answered next month down below. We will make an effort to sift through them. Just make sure they are still relevant 30 days from now! Take care!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What is the latest time at which you can submit your questions? Because all the questions I have right now will most likely be irrelevant next month. So being able to submit a question nearer to the the next Q&A would nice.

Reaction score
    What is the latest time at which you can submit your questions? Because all the questions I have right now will most likely be irrelevant next month. So being able to submit a question nearer to the the next Q&A would nice.
    Any time between now and the 15th of next month works (when November's is going up). It's just a question of if we will pick your question in time for it to go in the post. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oops! I was so busy thinking about my irrelevant questions that I completely forgot to say that it is really nice to see people from the community approach the devs in a way like this. Not only is it fun to know what their opinions are on certain topics, but it is also generally very informative for people like me who want to know more about what exactly is coming next and to have certainty that what you thought was going to be implemented actually is going to be implemented.

It also is fun to hear @kupu talk so fondly about space whales. It gives you hope that it might actually be in the game :p

Oh, and thanks for the feedback on my question @Azurite . Sorry I didn't say this at the beginning of this post, but you answered while I was typing it, so thank you for answering so quickly! :) (Although it probably just was luck that you were only ;) )

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    If you're looking for a solid cut-off date for questions, I would say around the tenth of every month, just so we have enough time to get the questions answered and get the post formatted, etc.

But yeah, excellent post Azurite!

i may be slightly biased

Reactions: Azurite

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Just remember people, your questions can be about anything (as long as it's related with the game)!

We'll do our best to pick the best questions and relay them to the devs.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    KUPU: "I’m really excited for the Fauna system. It has massive potential to bring loads of life and variety to the universe. Space whales."
    I must agree, I'm curious to see what sort of fauna we end up getting, given the system that I've heard about being implemented.

KUPU: "I’m currently playing through some old final fantasy games (7/8/9) and GTA 5. Starcraft 2 custom games to chill out sometimes."
    @kupu ! You play FF8 too?! Raiben and I are all about that game, and we recently found out Cal also loves it. I didn't think you could, but you just got cooler. =) Also, if you play GTA5 on PS3, feel free to shoot me a PM and I can give you my PSN if you ever want to play together sometime.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    We will definitely try to include that next month! Amazing thread, very concise and easy to understand.

Reaction score
    BUMP for questions for the November Q&A. Make sure to ask your full question in this very thread, people! Don't be shy ;)

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    BUMP for questions for the November Q&A. Make sure to ask your full question in this very thread, people! Don't be shy ;)
    How will Hyperspace fit into the current FTL options we already have (JDrive, Gates, and Wormholes)?
    Is HyperDrive still planned to come before the Universe Update?
    What's the currently planned thruster penalty for ships carrying a HyperDrive?
    What do you think the average mass of an average HyperDrive - equipped ship should be?
    Are these questions already answered?
    What purpose will ships without jumpdrive serve, now that it is so mandatory?

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Those are some excellent questions! Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I have questions too!
    1). Will Buy with Blocks soon become an option? Or rather soon™?
    2). Will the Universe Update include the ability for regular players to save stations, as stations will gain more importance in capturing territory?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    What is your favourite flavour of cake?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I have questions too!
    1). Will Buy with Blocks soon become an option? Or rather soon™?
    2). Will the Universe Update include the ability for regular players to save stations, as stations will gain more importance in capturing territory?
    1) you mean like having both options selectable when buying a bp?
    2) If not, I'll make a mod!