Dev Blog : October 21st 2016

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    And here I refer you to Zyrr and the Formiden Colonial Mandate.
    Maybe they should be here having this argument instead of you then? Again, show me a ship or a fight, or come fight me yourself. None of your points are backed up so its pointless arguing with you, not that mine are either but that's why we need actual cases to prove/disprove stuff.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Maybe they should be here having this argument instead of you then? Again, show me a ship or a fight, or come fight me yourself. None of your points are backed up so its pointless arguing with you, not that mine are either but that's why we need actual cases to prove/disprove stuff.
    I think perhaps this might be the wrong thread to have this very friendly and logical discussion. If you make a new thread and tag Ithirahad or Zyrr on it things would probably be a bit more organized.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I mean, yeah, its pretty hard to beat the exploitmobiles you roll around in regardless, armor tanking or not. Not to mention the fact that armor tanking works only quite well at very small or very large scale.

Bring a ship not using docked hull and we'd be more than happy to duel. And tone down the hostility.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your imagination is out of control. You really think a game with thousands of planets is going to have millions of NPCs running around doing things? Much lighter games in more efficient engines struggle with 100 and they don't have custom built spaceships floating around everywhere. If you want to imagine all this crap here's a great game for you ;)
    Hm, funny you mention that, it's a great game, but I already have it. ;)

As for my imagination out of control, nah, don't think so. As long as the places and characters where you are not just virtually progress in code and only materialize when you visit them you can have enormous amounts of them without much influence on the number of processor cycles needed for the game in total. Obviously the minimum computer specs will go up, but I haven't seen an early access game yet where that doesn't happen.

You should train your imagination a little more my friend. :D

Greets,

Jan

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    This looks awesome, but how will it affect the volume of stations in the galaxy? Will we see the enormous amount of stations currently spawning in a system (20+) decrease to a smaller number or will the number of overall stations stay relatively large?

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So how will you know the plans and goals of the other factions after scanning their faction territories or whatever. How would you disrupt the goals of the opposing factions? Would you have to destroy their resource processing factories or take out there harvesters?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    My sammich senses are tingling,
    I feel like another station competition is about to emerge!

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You can't balance a game which is only 20% done. Once everything(or at least all core mechanics) are in the game, you can start balancing them out. Otherwise you had to re-adjust everything for each major update and that may be way too time consuming.
    Yes but, will this not end like the default stations after the rail update. In three or five updates all of this ships (all of this work and time builders have spended in it ) will be usless.

Reaction score
    Yes but, will this not end like the default stations after the rail update. In three or five updates all of this ships (all of this work and time builders have spended in it ) will be usless.
    It will not be as bad as the rail update. So your finely tuned weapon that used to punch through 20 blocks now punches through 10, does not make your ship useless. just not so finely tuned.....

I do not see much a balance change in the future that once changed would make a ship flying scrap metal...we already went through that with power and thrust. i do see balance changes that changes the meta and forces players to refit. or with the aux update changes that only affected large ships and was reactionary to the change in meta to 10s of injectors on every ship

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    I cannot wait to fight those NPC's at the next big update. My server has been waiting for this for quite a while now.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So factions are merely once calculated static quest giving npcs. not really doing anything on their own then? so once calculated that is how their faction space looks like and done? why am i not excited then?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    NPC's will vary in strength, and they will have different goals. Our first batch may not include randomly generated NPC factions. We have 2 factions that will be ready, and maybe a third. More will be added over time.
    do you a solid idea of what system you want to put in place to execute that ?
    i posted a suggestion for this particular problem. The idea was to have a number of parameters (military/trade/mine/aggressive/defensive/cooperative) that would balance strategies decision. It is explained in my suggestion if it could help : NPC faction strategy and behaviour proposition

Reaction score
    So factions are merely once calculated static quest giving npcs. not really doing anything on their own then? so once calculated that is how their faction space looks like and done? why am i not excited then?
    I don't see how you possibly got "static" from this, since it explains the basics of how the factions expand.

Quick question though, is this update going to come with some enhanced fleet functionality that the factions can use? I can appreciate that it's a pretty big work as is.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    do you a solid idea of what system you want to put in place to execute that ?
    Yes something with configurable parameters is what we had in mind. I do not know the specifics but it seems Schema has given it thought since Saber and I requested it early on.

is this update going to come with some enhanced fleet functionality that the factions can use? I can appreciate that it's a pretty big work as is.
    I'm not sure how much farther the fleet ai will improve with this update. There may be changes to general ai behavior. Factions will likely do some simple patroling and trading. I suspect it won't be a out for another few weeks so we might know more as we get closer. The dev build has not updated since the last update so it's a pretty big change.

Reaction score
    thank you so much for this update :D I realy want more npc faction, and i sugest you last days to add more npc faction, and you take my idea :D I'm so happy :) Now, Starmade is my favorite game :D

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I don't see how you possibly got "static" from this, since it explains the basics of how the factions expand.

Quick question though, is this update going to come with some enhanced fleet functionality that the factions can use? I can appreciate that it's a pretty big work as is.
    Since they do not really play the do not expand. it is not like there would be a cronjob running on the server simulating them even though nobody is online. If we are not looking nothing happens and when we return suddenly the faction has expanded even though they could not have for we parked those destroyers there - WTH HOW? because the faction ai does not get simulated that is why it will cause unforseen unexplainable things they could not have achieved. as long as they do not have to mine to have ressources as slong as they do not reaally play it is always cheating. HF Why would we welcome such an approach as "faction thing" why not really reduce them to inactive empires waiting for players to come along if we do not want to invest the serverside ressources of really managing them. I want a ressourceless faction not to be able to still exapnd if i made sure that damn faction has not a single roid anymore i do not want the game to cheat them stuff. This is why the approach does not excite me.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I want a ressourceless faction not to be able to still exapnd if i made sure that damn faction has not a single roid anymore i do not want the game to cheat them stuff.
    They will only expand into areas that have resources they need, and are willing to weight options. If you drain them of resources then they cannot gain resources.

Another point, if you have fleets ready to defend space, they will not simply ignore them. I imagine this will only happen if you are at war with them as there is no law preventing people from mining out or claiming space that other ships happen to be in.

We can calculate the resources they would be acquiring, we can set the rate at which they mine, and we can set the rate at which they expand. I don't think we could have an active dynamic universe without some of the work being done behind the scenes.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    They will only expand into areas that have resources they need, and are willing to weight options. If you drain them of resources then they cannot gain resources.

Another point, if you have fleets ready to defend space, they will not simply ignore them. I imagine this will only happen if you are at war with them as there is no law preventing people from mining out or claiming space that other ships happen to be in.

We can calculate the resources they would be acquiring, we can set the rate at which they mine, and we can set the rate at which they expand. I don't think we could have an active dynamic universe without some of the work being done behind the scenes.
    the thing is in theory you could calculate for all that stuff. and we are testing to make sure that every eventuality gets taken care of. but idk man i still feel like i do not want it to be calculated i would want to send pirates out there and actually hunting their ships... if the do not really mine ...
    look it sounds cool and all but - well the actual Ai is still not able to target torpedos, not swoitch targets if it can not aim for them because their docking entity is in the way ... and so on and so on and you really want to tell me you guys are certain about yeah sure we will just calculate it in the background for simulating it would be to ressource intense... the amount of variables to think of will explode as soon as some real options come into the game. without real time simulation... i am just like no man this does not sound as the real deal.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Real-time simulation at this scale is impossible. Just saying... Being able to send fleets to attack AI factions will be a thing, but the combat will be simulated based on the stats of the ships involved.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    OMGWTFDOYOUEVEN...

*ahem*

...Armor is not useless, I can assure you of that much. You're probably using it wrong (Are you only using one layer?)
    [doublepost=1477051589,1477051461][/doublepost]
    Eh, Ithi, let's be honest here. You can only really put over 6 layers of hull on big sized ships. Ships that would surely have a weapon big enough to make easy work on it.

Armor is only really powerful when used with the docked entity exploits.