Dev Blog : October 21st 2016

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    You may not personally agree with me, but I would prefer just having all the things you plan for this game on that page rather than censor 75% of it because you are worried you cannot pull it off, maybe put everything that you cannot promise in a separate category or maybe a separate thread, kinda like how the "recognised" tag in the suggestions thread, it would be nice to have but you are not sure if its going to be in the final product.
    Actually I would want that too. I wouldn't want to promise anything. That can easily destroy a game development company. No need to share examples. I imagine people would still assume that we would work on those things. I can ask Bench and the team about how much more transparent we can be.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    You may not personally agree with me, but I would prefer just having all the things you plan for this game on that page rather than censor 75% of it because you are worried you cannot pull it off, maybe put everything that you cannot promise in a separate category or maybe a separate thread, kinda like how the "recognised" tag in the suggestions thread, it would be nice to have but you are not sure if its going to be in the final product.
    If they put all features on that least It will be No man's sky's all over again.Not only cmon you've joined this game in July 24 2016,and you complain.

Jasper1991

Totaly not an alt, btw join Vaygr XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    Reaction score
    If they put all features on that least It will be No man's sky's all over again.Not only cmon you've joined this game in July 24 2016,and you complain.
    The reason no mans sky failed was because they lied about what was going to be in the finished product, not because they listed what they intended to lie about.

And as for my join date, I have input from players who have been around since 2013, such as Zoro, Aceface, TwoNiner and several other veterans. Because I talk to people about their experiences, my input is not necessarily my personal input.

And the difference between No Mans Sky and StarMade is that unlike what you are implying, Schine is not going to list a bunch of features, make a promise they are 100% guaranteed to be in the final product then delivery a bare bones game on release date.

I do not think Schine will stoop to the level Hello Games did, im sure nobody will.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I too would love to see some more transparency when it comes to game development. I do understand why things are kept from us, however a 4-6 month clear outlook with development schedules and current progress would be very welcome. Not necessarily daily updates, but listing problems Schine, as a development team face, solutions implemented would be perfect.

I for one would love some insight into the methodology, techniques and thought processes that Starmade goes through, There seems to be a major lean towards Schine as a whole being 'incompetent' and inexperienced. Providing some insight into your workflow should alleviate this, as many of the elements in the games engine is rather complicated, yet not well known. (current rendering comes to mind, so many visible faces and elements in memory, yet still producing high FPS)

Some devbuild documentation - simple notes written into a .txt file in the devbuild archive would be a very welcome addition too.

<3

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    "I have tasted the batter and declare the cake a failure". :p

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Perfectly valid if it's full of cockroaches. Not that StarMade has gotten that bad
    This is true, but the chef has not signed off off on the dish yet. There is still time to make new batter if it's too salty...or roachy. The point I am making is that you can't write a review for a dish from a restaurant that has not opened yet.
    [doublepost=1477408946,1477406426][/doublepost]
    Glad to know there's someone who shares the same view of procedural worlds as I do. I've always considered a game focused on procedural worlds to be a weakness. Nothing feels unique or worth exploring if it's an infinite and random world.
    Yes, this can be difficult rut to avoid with procedural generation. Like Minecraft, SM is not a game that focuses on providing content and that is OK by me. These type of games are more akin to an Art-medium that facilitates the creation of content by the community. What inspires players is not the content they find but the possibilities that have been created by the game developers. D&D is a perfect example of a ground-breaking paradigm-shift in games. No content at all...just rules and reference material. That games was perfect even before modules were sold to provide content to lazy dungeon-masters. The Epic in SM will likely come from the player-base in MP servers. The game just needs to be a well dressed set for the actors to chew up the scenery.

Plotted games will be more engaging on the first play-through but they will also be the same experience each time you pick it up. This is an even worse dead-end so all we can do is spice up the algorithm for generating the universe and make some things more rare. Maintaining a very wide variety of random elements will help greatly. By way of example I will cite Company of Heroes' (original) random unit responses. There are so damn many sound-clips recorded that after playing the game for 3000 hours I am still hearing new unit replies. They have regional dialects and environmental sub-sets for the weather. This really helps keep it fresh. Contrast that to a game with the standard two unit-replies that you hear so often you can't play the game anymore.

SM is still going in interesting directions and I have enjoyed the ride so far.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would personally prefer they keep their development timeline censored from me. As curious as I am to see it all, I feel like listing things that won't be done for a long time could hurt their steam reviews. And after people are done reading the whole thing through, they'll just go back to be bored again, like they were before.

As long as the games original creator is at the helm, I have faith that he has a vision that he's been working towards all these years. Schema doesn't post much, but the people around him seem to be passionate about starmade, so I assume he still is too.

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Some devbuild documentation - simple notes written into a .txt file in the devbuild archive would be a very welcome addition too.
    THIS.
    Plz.
    Sometimes when a new dev patch comes out, its hard for us players to know whats been changed. Some notes will allow us to more easily engage with DevBuilds and provide insight as to what may have broken, some example numbers for new blocks, and finding ways to break the new block if it is added...

Doesnt have to be mutch, just similar to what the Minecraft Update TLDR things are with each new patch. Bullet points of key things changed, bug fixing isnt necessary I'd think to have in these notes.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    It's nice to see a lot of posts adressing the issues from devs. :)

Universe generation will have to change too in order to create a more engaging world, especially focused around MP. It's safe to assume that not many empires or players would go beyond the starting galaxy or its neighbours so this procedural world is in fact "limited", not by hard limits but by boredom. No sane player would fly this far out to make an empire especially when he's alone against a ton of NPC enemies and where no player is around him to keep things interesting.
    If you've ever met an MMO player you'll know boredom doesn't stop anyone. People spend T H O U S A N D S of hours doing the most boring menial trash so they can get the biggest endgame stick. Some will hate doing it, but stick it out anyway to progress, some crazy fuckers downright enjoy sitting around watching some tiny meter go up for hours, days, years... Clicker Heroes Q.E.D.

If it's not necessary for the game, why is it there?

As for the core few galaxies being used, by adjusting generation values and creating different unique systems, we can create Points of Interests. These are of course randomly placed within your galaxies but they'll attract both NPC and player factions that want to grow. If every system has a daily quota of asteroid output, you'll want to control and protect your best ones.
    This is the larger scale objective, control more resources to make more to take even more. In a player only world, it will result in an imbalance if left unchecked. It would only take a few days before 2 major factions manifest and wage war with each other (because that's what we love ^^). In less than a week, 1 major faction might survive and you get a stale world till that big faction splits up themself because of internal disputes.
    Either way, this isn't the best course of action especially for new players that would need to either join a big faction or stay small and unnoticed.
    The problem with this large scale mentality is that starmade's strength is in the details. I'll end up spending all my time in map menus and ordering fleets around, never touching the actual game. If the game is only about territory control and faction expansion, why does it even need a voxel engine? You could've just made another browser based strategy game like Landing - Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances - Official EA Site or Stronghold Kingdoms . If you look at those games, you'd never in a million years think "This really needs a voxel engine and unit design!" because that contributes nothing to the games. If the large scale faction operation is what the game ultimately boils down to then all the ship design and piloting won't matter.

This is why i'm worried about the game's vision; the new additions are running counter to the old stuff or not contributing to it in any meaningful way.

Well I think everyone will agree the biggest cause for this is the time it's taken to get here. Were we more immediately successful, I imagine the pace would be quickened early on. Instead we have seen steady growth with occasional spikes (afaik). If we received the attention space engineers got a few years ago, well we certainly would be seeing more players, servers and work being done.
    No. The cause is problems being left out while you add more features. I haven't seen anyone complaining about sound not being in, because we DO understand this game is in early access and not finished.

It's probably not the most comforting thing, but I am going to link this. I understand that 75% of this is censored at the moment. However, behind the scenes, that entire form is filled out. We have every feature we want for StarMade on that list. Now that's a lot of stuff, and it will take lots of work and discussion to get there. We aren't going to promise something big only to find out later that it won't work. That is why it's censored until we know we can achieve it. We also shouldn't be spending time fleshing it out entirely just yet, since we need to focus on the upcoming updates.
    But they're just high level features! Critical current systems like the power system, weapon ballance and thrust are currently in dire need of overhauls.

As for this update, I would argue that this update is a core mechanic of the game. This is the foundation for the PvE end of the gameplay, which is non-existent right now. If you have specific questions I am sure we could answer them. It's frustrating seeing some players loose faith. I don't know how much we can say but we should be able to clear a few things up.
    I'd argue that if the game is playable without it's not a core system. As far as i'm concerned the core systems are
    • Building
    • Moving
    • Shooting
    • Damage
    And that's it. The game is playable without mining, without rails, without factions or lighting or shipyards or crafting. They all add to the game, all mehanics should add to the game, but they can't all be CORE mechanics. Again, take Starsector as an example. That game is missing mining, station building, faction warfare for player and multiple fleet controls, but the core combat is rock solid. It has a good foundation it can expand upon and everyone playing it knows what kind of game they're in for, and there hasn't been any major changes to combat while the game has added trading, sensors, multiple starsystems, multiple factions, officers, quests and fleet abilities. I also suspect that having a solid base made adding these systems much easier, like sensors and officers, since they knew how the ships will work, and what the standards are.

If we received the attention space engineers got a few years ago, well we certainly would be seeing more players, servers and work being done.
    You won't get space engineer attention because your game isn't fun to play. It's fun to build spaceships, but there's nothing to really do with it. I have like 5 friends i've shown this game to, initial impression is always really good but as soon as they're in the game and they get all the factories instantly and see there's no point to what you're doing they lose interest.

In space engineers you're always working towards something: your first miner, your first refinery, your first builder, larger miner, larger refinery, mobile refinery, defense ships, etc.

I for one would love some insight into the methodology, techniques and thought processes that Starmade goes through, There seems to be a major lean towards Schine as a whole being 'incompetent' and inexperienced. Providing some insight into your workflow should alleviate this, as many of the elements in the games engine is rather complicated, yet not well known. (current rendering comes to mind, so many visible faces and elements in memory, yet still producing high FPS)
    I have zero doubts in schine's technical ability to create a game, this would do nothing to change that. I admire both the engine and their conduct. I'm worried about their ability to design and prioritize game mechanics.

Consider this alternate approach:
    • Reballance the core mechanics to make fighting and combat ship design solid
    • Launch ROBOCRAFT like gamemode with servers where players fight in a single system.
    • Now you can expand the game with the larger scale exploration and faction building
    How much work would this take compared to all the faction stuff? The reballance needs to happen one way or another, the game cannot stand with current mechanics because they're simply too weak, and this way you might get more people playing it without spending the next 2 decades in development hell.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Um, what issues with mechanics are you talking about exactly, Raisinbat?
    Power bonus is broken -> Docked entities are overpowered and auxilliary is dumb
    Weapon systems are imballanced -> only a few combinations are worth using
    Weapons and armor scale in stupid ways -> projectile spam dominates combat, larger weapons insanely inefficient with no benefits
    Armor can't stop penetration weapons -> shield tank or go home (Still waiting for you to accept my challenge)
    Power mechanics have no variety -> all ships follow same basic model of high, constant dps; no flow to combat to recharge power, no opportunities to attack while opponent is weak
    Passive effect provide same effect, just requires X% of mass -> Docked entities are overpowered, capitals just bigger fighters
    AI can't prioritize or lead targets -> swarmers and all ai weapons rendered ineffective by decoys
    Blatantly overpowered missiles and beams -> cannons not worth using

At least that's the ones of the top of my head, there's probably more wrong but its a start.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Weapons and armor scale in stupid ways -> projectile spam dominates combat, larger weapons insanely inefficient with no benefits
    Armor can't stop penetration weapons -> shield tank or go home (Still waiting for you to accept my challenge)
    Power mechanics have no variety -> all ships follow same basic model of high, constant dps; no flow to combat to recharge power, no opportunities to attack while opponent is weak
    Passive effect provide same effect, just requires X% of mass -> Docked entities are overpowered, capitals just bigger fighters
    AI can't prioritize or lead targets -> swarmers and all ai weapons rendered ineffective by decoys

At least that's the ones of the top of my head, there's probably more wrong but its a start.
    While all of these may be true most of them seem focused on single ship to single ship combat which is the players view of whats already in the game. Its still valid but the game is starting to go in a direction that is different from that. It looks like schine is starting on the macro game of the universe now, and it might feel like the micro portion of the game is getting no love and is stagnant. This seems to be on purpose, and I think that's great. Many of those dynamics may need to change based on the overall macro part of the universe. I can't always be about the micro that doesn't work. I've heard the dev team call it a sandbox more then once, and I'm beginning to believe in that direction. Space is vast and without it feeling empty you are gonna need more ways to make it feel alive.

I believe you are asking refinement for what is a large part of the game, but the other large parts aren't even in yet. While you don't think they are large parts Schine seems to, but they have limited development resources. They are picking the best thing they can based on what dependencies for a year from now. I think refinements that you are asking for fit really well with beta, but I can understand your frustration with it right now.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester

Is there some suggestion thread that writes all these issues out completely with suggestions for a better system? This is rather vague and can be interpreted in many ways.

"weapon and armor scale in stupid ways", "Armor can't stop penetration weapons", "AI can't prioritize or lead targets" are going to be addressed in the future, at least from how you describe it.

"Blatantly overpowered beams". I was under the impression that beams were under-powered and that they weren't worth using compared to cannons?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Is there some suggestion thread that writes all these issues out completely with suggestions for a better system? This is rather vague and can be interpreted in many ways.

"weapon and armor scale in stupid ways", "Armor can't stop penetration weapons", "AI can't prioritize or lead targets" are going to be addressed in the future, at least from how you describe it.

"Blatantly overpowered beams". I was under the impression that beams were under-powered and that they weren't worth using compared to cannons?
    Yeah, beams don't deal the correct amount of SHP damage so they're really only good for effect-dealing and shield/AHP zapping. That said, Beam+beam is an incredibly potent combo.

For general use/block removal yeah cannons are superior. But I wouldn't describe beams as overpowered in the least tho.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    It's a hit-scan weapon with identical damage per power to cannons, cannons are just more fun. Beams have bug problems (see napther vs vanu from blood and steel) where they miss their target on later ticks, they don't move properly when activated by logic (the beam is locked to the same target each tick so it bends when the ship is moving). This is why a lot of people avoid them, but as far as i can tell they're much stronger.

Games typically give beam weapons a damage penalty that scales with range to mirror cannons which are less accurate with range, but keep perfect damage, i'd like to see this added in starmade. Something like 80% DPS at point blank range (you will still miss cannon shots at point blank range sometimes), 40% DPS at 1km, 20% DPS at 2km, 10% at 3km etc. I think that's about where accuracy is for a cannon vs a fast moving target as long as it's being aimed by someone with practice, but will need some adjustment i'm sure. Also just remembered another problem with core mechanics: Stop having weapon ranges dictated by sector size. I just want to see further away and not have everything clustered together nonstop :(

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Stop having weapon ranges dictated by sector size. I just want to see further away and not have everything clustered together nonstop :(
    That's a technical limitation not likely to ever get changed.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Beams have bug problems
    Correct. Beams have a ton of bugs, some of which are on the list to be fixed and others not so much.

Beams do not calculate more than their first instance of block damage per tick against armor. This means that, although shield and AHP damage is applied normally, a beam output cannot damage more than one armor block per tick. Any damage that could have been applied to blocks behind it are wasted. Any beam dealing more than 200 damage per tick is affected.
    While you can still make a relatively decent armor piercing beam by stacking outputs, it becomes prohibitively expensive energy-wise to use and unless you're staying out of effective cannon range, doesn't match up to cannons at all.
    Still better than cannons at system block removal but you would have to find a way of first slipping past a thick layer of armor.

Yeah, beams don't deal the correct amount of SHP damage
    Huh. I was under the impression that SHP had nothing to do with the damage of the projectile and everything to do with the number and SHP value of blocks destroyed. If I'm wrong I have a rather embarrassing gap in my knowledge.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There is one for AI priorities. ;)

"Armor can't stop penetration weapons"
    Problem here is, while penetration weapons only destroy a relatively low number of blocks, they can make aux reactors destroy themselves. Power injectors only had like a handful of essential blocks and could usually stand a few holes in them without losing 90% of their power.

Aside from the bugs, you can't balance a weapon, whose range is dependent on sector size for vanilla settings and expect it to work on servers with larger sectors or vice versa. Default beams only have 1km range, which I'd consider almost useless. They might be useful for very small and hard to hit targets, if AI wouldn't miss those intentionally. With a 5 times increased sector size beam range is 5km - at such ranges the hitscan ability becomes far more powerful.

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    While you can still make a relatively decent armor piercing beam by stacking outputs, it becomes prohibitively expensive energy-wise to use and unless you're staying out of effective cannon range, doesn't match up to cannons at all.
    Unless it's logic triggered or turreted, then you can have a computer for each output eliminating the extra powercost.

This is part of the reason why armor is shit, but it's fundamentally the game working backwards by adding penalties to behavior it doesn't want, instead of addressing the underlying problems. If weapons were ballanced with innately much higher damage per block while keeping power per dps the same, but instead cutting the weapons range down dramatically. (200 damage, 2.000 power per activation, 5% range for a single cannon block) not only would small weapons like turrets and fighters be MUCH more valuable in fights, it would also discourage the ridiculous amount of spam because there's suddenly a real power disadvantage to thousands of projectiles that cannot be circumvented, and the short range makes them much less desirable. Again, weapon ranges need to be removed from sector sizes for this to work.

Not as far as i know. I used to write suggestions but i just gave up since nobody ever bloody reads or discusses them, and if you do discuss you get swarmed by these hypersensitive white knighting clowns who treat any criticism of the game like you just posted puppies getting tortured. I'll try doing a power system writeup tonight since it actually seems like it might get read for once, but you should definitely check :

There is one for AI priorities. ;)
    because it is great.

That's a technical limitation not likely to ever get changed.
    Your mom is a technical limitation.