Dev Blog : June 2nd 2015

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Very funny Snk...

I would assume those who have a 3D printer would make some living off of it by letting ppl send them a ship and them printing it and selling it back

Reactions: Blodge

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Question: If I 3D printed my ship, would it be illegal to sell the incredibly advanced technology for trillions of dollars? Would you mind me buying Star Made?
    For some reason, I don't think that's how it works...

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Hot fixes and bug fixes aren't listed in the roadmap, only the pre-planned features

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Look what just got added to proposed: Global Factions
    Nice.

Reaction score
    Bench, has there been anything on the faction module schema was working on regarding the ability to add rank access to doors, storages, and computers? It would be nice to restrict access to a blueprint room so we could have our factories taking a portion of what they are making and divert it to fill each blueprint by storage container. Currently this is not possible since you can only set the station by rank not individual doors. Schema had mentioned it when he dropped the update involving faction restructure.

Reaction score
    This is awesome, iv been wanting something like this for a long time now :) finally we can see what is in store for us in the next few updates with out scouring the forums or bug trackers looking for scrapes of info ^ ^

i personally cannot wait for the fauna and flora. those have me so excited!!!!!! :D

----

one thing im still very interested in knowing more about tho, is whats the plan for music? i know its been asked a bazillion times, and theres been a bit of drama on the forums around the subject, but iv heard alot of conflicting info on it. and now its on the road map so thats encouraging, but i still have many question. mainly, how will schine go about implementing the music for the game?

last i heard is that there will be a contest held at some point for composers to submit music they have made for schine to evaluate each composers abilities and musical style. BUT, any music we have made so far wont be used in the game? if so, then us composers shouldn't spend a whole lot of time "composing" until this contest rolls around? or maybe iv miss understood completely?

id jsut like a better understanding as to shines plans for music and how it will be implemented. that way me and other fellow composers will have a better idea of what to do. because i was planning on spending a couple of hours everyday working on melodies and such just to build material for eventual evaluation and submission, but if anything we make now will be automatically excluded from the game then i can save my self a whole lot of time.

TL:DR, basically id jsut like to know what us composers should be doing for now in regards to starmade music. should we be practicing making music to eventually be evaluated by schine? or just sit tight and wait for more information about this whole process? or just forget about the whole thing because schine already has some composer in mind? again, sorry that this has been asked before, but details are still fuzzy and music making can be a slow process. so any information regarding this will be invaluable :)

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We'd let you see some of what's planned, what in development, and what to expect in the next release. So we've created for you all a public StarMade roadmap, where you can see all the features that are in the works for the next few builds.
    I'M KIDDING! This is like, the best new dock feature in quite some time.

I have one big question about the roadmap though. There are a lot of things marked "planned" in the suggestion forums (like ship-relative save... YES I will keep bringing that one up) that are not listed in the roadmap. Does that mean they're probably a long way from being implemented?

Reaction score
    I'M KIDDING! This is like, the best new dock feature in quite some time.

I have one big question about the roadmap though. There are a lot of things marked "planned" in the suggestion forums (like ship-relative save... YES I will keep bringing that one up) that are not listed in the roadmap. Does that mean they're probably a long way from being implemented?
    The planned category is Schine's dropbox for features that we've tentatively planned on adding in to the game. While we are pretty confident that they'll get in the game at some point, we haven't added them to a release yet.

They could be coming next release, they could be coming next year. The main point of the roadmap is to show people what we have acknowledged as something that fits within our vision of the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh nice.
    Also, having looked at the dev build, I have to say I'm very impressed and pleased by the multiple hotbar implementation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1

Bet you weren't expecting a Dev Blog today! We're back with some more exciting news, because who doesn't love hearing about the latest features to be added into StarMade.

Features is always the big thing, it's why our suggestions thread on StarMade Dock is massive, it's what players can be most vocal about, and what gets us most excited. We listen to your suggestions and work them into our plans for StarMade where they meld well, and sometimes suggestions don't always meld well with our vision for where the game is going and so they have to be rejected. Features change, they evolve as we integrate ideas with other ideas, it's a constant ongoing process. SO we have only ever really announced features as they're added into the game, because by that stage they're definitely going into the game and we're pretty sure how they're going to work.

However we're getting to a point where we have a council now to work with the community on the suggestions, our team here at Schine has grown bigger, and so we thought we'd give you, the community, a bit more of a clearer picture as to what's on the cards for us feature wise in the not too distant future. We'd let you see some of what's planned, what in development, and what to expect in the next release. So we've created for you all a public StarMade roadmap, where you can see all the features that are in the works for the next few builds. This should alleviate some of the questions as to what's next for StarMade, and reduce the number of duplicate suggestions we get for features we're already planning. Be aware most planned features listed don't have an extensive description as typically the documentation covering their final forms happens very close to their release, so we'll more likely update the details about them in news posts rather than purely on the public roadmap.

We'll also be expanding the roadmap to include some of the most common suggestions we or the council have received, so that half our suggestion forum isn't filled with the exact same suggestion when we've said we're already aware of it.

Now this isn't all the planned features for the game, our full assortments of design and development documents feature over 70 features for the game either being discussed, already planned out to some degree, or in the process of being developed for implementation. To give you an idea just how much is planned, the entire rail system was just 1 feature in that list of over 70. Some we'll share on the public roadmap as we go forward and they get more definite, some we'll keep for a surprise. Needless to say there's a lot planned for the game, and here's just a taste of what's in store.

If you've been playing the latest dev build you will have noticed the beginnings of the HP and Armor systems. These are very much in their infancy when it comes to implementation so don't expect to see much in those dev builds just yet with regards to them. You will hear more about them as time goes on.

A few small but awesome features are being added in in the next release. We finally have multiple hotbars that you can scroll through. A much sought after feature after the logic ship remote block was dropped in, enabling all kinds of logic control while in flight mode. We also have a shift from the center-of-mass for a ship being at its ship core, to now being located actually at the center-of-mass, meaning a lot more realistic rotations.

Our in-game chat is getting a bunch of moderation tools after some requests from community members. While we're still refining exactly what features it will come with, the plan is to enable the ability to moderate chat channels by being able to allow only certain people to be able to message in them, say if there was a server-wide news channel. Also the ability to ignore or mute other players will be added, as well as a language filter for those who wish to implement that.

Finally if you missed the news of the badges update on the forums, you can find out all about it here.

Thanks for playing StarMade.

Until next time.

- Bench
    All these features are awesome, but in particular, I'd like to personally support and request the shipyard system and HP/health system, more than any other. Those two features in and of themselves would improve ship combat and maintenance drastically. Large ship combat in particular would benefit from these two, and suddenly make things very, very interesting.

It'd also make large industrial fleets just as important as combat fleets, though that's not to say they aren't already.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1433353366,1433352880][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Guess their wanting similar style to EVE releases.

Those have fancy videos though so wonder if we will get fancy videos too
    I doubt it. EVE players have been wondering if CCP will release a feature length movie at some point. That's just how good those videos are. Despite the fact that Schine is growing, it's no-where near the level of CCP (yet), so their focus is on improving the game and getting it to release status.

THAT said, Schine is starting to look much much more like CCP in it's current stages, which is AWESOME

More of that needs to happen, because not only do we get to know EXACTLY whats going on with our game, but we also get to interact with some awesome devs, something that normal game players don't get to do. You don't exactly see bungie developers talking to Destiny players.

It also means this game is growing from something that WAS a hobby, into a legit game, and is growing at an exponential rate. Makes me a very very happy starship captain.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Lets be honest though. Bungie is a lot better than say..DICE ;)

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I like being informed about the game's future.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's an interesting list of things / features planned, or in the pipeline, very informative.

The ones that speak the most to my imagination though are definitely flora and fauna, those could and would make (single player) game-play much more versatile. ;)

Incentives to go exploring is one of the pillars this game really needs in my opinion. :cool:

Greets,

Jan