Dev Blog : June 2nd 2015

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6

Bet you weren't expecting a Dev Blog today! We're back with some more exciting news, because who doesn't love hearing about the latest features to be added into StarMade.

Features is always the big thing, it's why our suggestions thread on StarMade Dock is massive, it's what players can be most vocal about, and what gets us most excited. We listen to your suggestions and work them into our plans for StarMade where they meld well, and sometimes suggestions don't always meld well with our vision for where the game is going and so they have to be rejected. Features change, they evolve as we integrate ideas with other ideas, it's a constant ongoing process. SO we have only ever really announced features as they're added into the game, because by that stage they're definitely going into the game and we're pretty sure how they're going to work.

However we're getting to a point where we have a council now to work with the community on the suggestions, our team here at Schine has grown bigger, and so we thought we'd give you, the community, a bit more of a clearer picture as to what's on the cards for us feature wise in the not too distant future. We'd let you see some of what's planned, what in development, and what to expect in the next release. So we've created for you all a public StarMade roadmap, where you can see all the features that are in the works for the next few builds. This should alleviate some of the questions as to what's next for StarMade, and reduce the number of duplicate suggestions we get for features we're already planning. Be aware most planned features listed don't have an extensive description as typically the documentation covering their final forms happens very close to their release, so we'll more likely update the details about them in news posts rather than purely on the public roadmap.

We'll also be expanding the roadmap to include some of the most common suggestions we or the council have received, so that half our suggestion forum isn't filled with the exact same suggestion when we've said we're already aware of it.

Now this isn't all the planned features for the game, our full assortments of design and development documents feature over 70 features for the game either being discussed, already planned out to some degree, or in the process of being developed for implementation. To give you an idea just how much is planned, the entire rail system was just 1 feature in that list of over 70. Some we'll share on the public roadmap as we go forward and they get more definite, some we'll keep for a surprise. Needless to say there's a lot planned for the game, and here's just a taste of what's in store.

If you've been playing the latest dev build you will have noticed the beginnings of the HP and Armor systems. These are very much in their infancy when it comes to implementation so don't expect to see much in those dev builds just yet with regards to them. You will hear more about them as time goes on.

A few small but awesome features are being added in in the next release. We finally have multiple hotbars that you can scroll through. A much sought after feature after the logic ship remote block was dropped in, enabling all kinds of logic control while in flight mode. We also have a shift from the center-of-mass for a ship being at its ship core, to now being located actually at the center-of-mass, meaning a lot more realistic rotations.

Our in-game chat is getting a bunch of moderation tools after some requests from community members. While we're still refining exactly what features it will come with, the plan is to enable the ability to moderate chat channels by being able to allow only certain people to be able to message in them, say if there was a server-wide news channel. Also the ability to ignore or mute other players will be added, as well as a language filter for those who wish to implement that.

Finally if you missed the news of the badges update on the forums, you can find out all about it here.

Thanks for playing StarMade.

Until next time.

- Bench

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    All nice to hear.
    About improved chat commands:
    Will we be able to connect to the games IRC-server with normal IRC-clients in the next release?

Then we could use all the awsome avaliable IRC-bots and implement some kind of plugins/mods through the admin-commands.
    Or simply idle in the chat all day, while not in the game. :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Very nice. I really like those dev blogs, even if we don't get an update it's nice to know what's happening!

Woot woot, road map!

Reaction score
    Wow, I just noticed that exporting 3d models is on the the planned list in the road map. That cannot possibly happen fast enough. Ive been trying to find a way to do that since I got my 3d printer. My boys are going to run me out of filament when that drops. That and flashlights. Awesome.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    "Also the ability to ignore or mute other players will be added"

Sounds like i am going to play in testserver again :D

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would love to see more info about fauna. I played Spore last time so it speaks to my imagination :P

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    All hail the Great and Glorious Bench, upon which the community rests its hopes and asses.

Reactions: iceman6491
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    from the quick search I did, I didn't find a link embedded into the website, is a link going to be added soon?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    While not all of the features mentioned I really wait for eagerly (even in comparison with many others Schine already commented upon as ones planned) I do appreciate the effort and find the road map quite useful - at least I know what's in the store for foreseeable future, rather than being left guessing.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Could we get the background for that page?

I wants it for....things!!!!

Reaction score
    Hi!

Really good job on those updates Bench!
    I love the new features on the Dev build, so much cool stuff - but i was waiting on a hotfix for mass enhancers and the spawning issues, does that mean we get those fixes only with the next big patch?

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    +1 for bumped urgency of the blueprint spawning fix - it is quite vital to the game to be able to use any serious rail constructions (failure begins as low as 5k mass ships as far as I know). Other than that - great job and a big thank you!

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You are aware it is fairly easy to extract it from the CSS?
    I recommend you to not do anything fishy though :u
    I wanted to ask politely first.

Anyhow a few ultra basic edits later I got this wallpaper!

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I like the fact that there's a roadmap for this now. Interesting that the 0.2.0 update is labeled as "Andromeda".

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Guess their wanting similar style to EVE releases.

Those have fancy videos though so wonder if we will get fancy videos too

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Just took a look at the roadmap, and the registry API stands out to me

Description
    An official API for the Registry that will serve any developer who wishes to build third party tools or websites using StarMade player and persistent galaxy data from the StarMade Registry.
    What "persistent galaxy data" is planned that would be useful? I'm all for dev tools, dont get me wrong, I just dont understand what would be available through it.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I would assume... I actually don't know since the registry is a bit confusing.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Question: If I 3D printed my ship, would it be illegal to sell the incredibly advanced technology for trillions of dollars? Would you mind me buying Star Made?