Read by Schine Design mode for the upcoming shipyard update

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I am aware that this has been suggested, but I have a different idea compared to this: http://starmadedock.net/threads/design-mode-for-shipyards.5861/

Anyway, I've been thinking if we can have design mode (that will replace build mode) where we have an infinite amount of blocks of everything and we design as we please. A new computer, design computer, will be required to design a ship. You design your ship in a somewhat empty, infinite space. You may add a background if you want. You may also add a boundary so that when you are planning to construct the ship in a closed shipyard, there will be no problems in doing so. You save the ship design and the design will be saved to your inventory.

To actually construct a ship, you need to input the design to a new block, called an assembly computer. The computer is linked to a storage where the computer will get from to build. Activate the computer to begin construction. There will be assembly modules that will construct the ship. These modules will determine how fast you can create the ship. For example, one assembly module building a small 10x3x5 scout ship will take a minute but having 100 modules will be instantaneous. However, if there's an obstruction or a lack of supplies, assembly will pause and notify the person who activated that it has stopped and give either reason.

Oh, how about people who just started, you ask? Well, just let them build the old fashioned way of building outside the core. Something like that. Astronaut mode building.

Optional suggestion (mmph, this again.) : renaming "blueprints" to "design" because (for me) sounds better and is shorter.

*thread subject to more editing because lack of proofreading

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    maybe instead of replacing build mode you just add a block that you enter to get to the design mode so you can still use build mode for repairs and in flight additions.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    maybe instead of replacing build mode you just add a block that you enter to get to the design mode so you can still use build mode for repairs and in flight additions.
    Then you're gonna need to build in astro mode. This would also promote repair crews.

I think that the point of shipyards is that there's that one place where ships are built and repaired. That's the definition itself!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think I see some threads regarding building...

Just gonna get this near the first page.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    definitely shouldn't be -able- to build on the move, that's the point of a shipyard, astronaut placement sure, build mode, no

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Certainly at a shipyard you should be able to have a build mode of some kind but never outside of one

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you mean building in the shipyard, sure.
    Hmm.
    Maybe have shops have an attached shipyard then?
    Just for the new players, not being able to build (and don't talk about astronaut mode, that doesn't help anybody) will be very difficult. Even for experienced members in preexisting factions, the first thing done is to make a fast jump ships, which you cannot do without buildmode.
    Actually, having shops improve with use sounds like it's own idea... I'll be right back....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    yeah shops in a system like that would ideally have several small shipyards lined up on them, plenty of room on them as they're just big tubes

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I can get behind this idea, (minus renaming blueprints, us older players would have an aneurism)

Anything that brings the game more roleplay-friendly features brings me closer to wanting to play again.

Reaction score
    would be cool for shipyard for it to instead of having all of the different colors of armor blocks and different strengths (standard, Advanced) there would be blocks kind of like an armor placeholder in all the shapes that when u go to finalize the ship or to build it u could decide alright i want the ship yard to use best armor available or only use this color or just use all available. plus by doing this u could upgrade the ship armour in the future instead of having to take all the armor off and debuilding it just go back to the shipyard and decide alright i want all advanced now and (repair) it to have the better armor blocks same could be done to change the colors

Reactions: Wrexin

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Don't remove build mode totally, I do agree with removing it while in combat though so people can't add blocks in the middle of Armageddon. Keep in mind build mode does have it's uses for things like stations and small ships. As for things over a certain mass I'd say this is perfect for. Design mode is as it sounds from the naming, it should help you design things not replace being able to build them manually outright.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    station build mode, sure, any on the go ship editing, no, please no

shops with shipyards for small ships will work fine

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Being able to use build mode when in the field is weird, but until this design mode and shipyards are fully implemented, I am definitely not going to be happy placing every single block as an astronaut. Astronauts need more ways to get around quickly, anyway, than spawning a core. And maybe AI crew/ super-cheap helper robots that can help replace/repair blocks to return your craft to blueprint condition, and astronaut "autopilot" so our little Dave can fill in a space autonomously, while obeying the normal movement/interaction limitations on an astronaut and vulnerability.

I am very happy indeed with being able to design the craft in a dedicated space without limits on blocks until it goes to the shipyard for actual assembly. Definitely better than having to design directly from inventory in game-space and have something go horribly wrong or find you can't even work on your design because you don't have mountains of the necessary materials.