Read by Schine Design mode for the upcoming shipyard update

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i have another question about removing build mode. say u have a big ship that u want to scrap, normal u go into build mode and use remove mode and symmetry. without build mode u would have to remove every block by hand which would take several months for most big ships. what would u plan to do in this situation if build mode is removed?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    i have another question about removing build mode. say u have a big ship that u want to scrap, normal u go into build mode and use remove mode and symmetry. without build mode u would have to remove every block by hand which would take several months for most big ships. what would u plan to do in this situation if build mode is removed?
    I thought this was explained already:
    Build mode will stay, but only in shipyards.

Perhaps there should be a dismantle feature in the assembly computer.

Reactions: AssIn9
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I thought this was explained already:
    Build mode will stay, but only in shipyards.

Perhaps there should be a dismantle feature in the assembly computer.
    Can I suggest something?
    How about buildmode is still allowed outside of shipyards, but advanced buildmode, IE anything except adding and removing single blocks, can only be done in shipyards.

The reason being that this has no significant advantage over astronaut mode besides the fact that it will still work when there is lag.
    If you ever have tried to remove or place a block by hand on a server, you would have noticed that it takes forever for the server to acknowledge any form of salvager (removing stuff by hand is one of these) and to update to recognize placed blocks that do things, such as power modules.
    Advanced buildmode should be reserved for shipyards, but basic buildmode is pretty much a less laggy version of astronaut mode building.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    > build mode only works outside the shipyards on single blocks, can still edit linkages, but goes through the design mode process and only works when stationary, not under fire, and requires a full system reboot for changes to be implemented on the ship itself. A storage block/the ship needs to contain maintenance robots or crew to perform the work.

Reaction score
    I heard"repair crews" - people... please don't try to bring in random Star Trek fantasies into the game. It does not fit. It is counterproductive. The restoration of a damaged ships needs to happen automatically. There is no human on the world willing to work hard to repair a virtual ship (which by the way could simply be loaded again via admin mode or created by a blueprint). It may be fun to destroy blocks from enemies, but it is not fun to repair. It is fun to design ships however (maybe most of all fun), and anything improving that is worth improving.

Reaction score
    Can I suggest something?
    How about buildmode is still allowed outside of shipyards
    IMO build mode outside of shipyards needs to go if only for the fact that you can 'cheat' with it, like looking inside of another ship to check if it has any traps or the like in it before attempting to board it, etc

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just one question, i haven't seen this addressed yet.

If you remove build mode outside of shipyards, how do you build a shipyard or base?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Just one question, i haven't seen this addressed yet.

If you remove build mode outside of shipyards, how do you build a shipyard or base?
    You wouldn't for stations.
    But that's besides the point, how would you get there in the first place if you can't build stuff without a massive shipyard that can only be built on a station which just so happens to be far away from spawn?
    As I said, only remove ADVANCED buildmode from non-shipyards.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1437423385,1437423285][/DOUBLEPOST]I like the idea of needing a reboot for it take effect, but removing it completely is not a good idea

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm assuming that build blocks/build mode will just have to work on stations, still.

I heard"repair crews" - people... please don't try to bring in random Star Trek fantasies into the game. It does not fit. It is counterproductive. The restoration of a damaged ships needs to happen automatically. There is no human on the world willing to work hard to repair a virtual ship (which by the way could simply be loaded again via admin mode or created by a blueprint). It may be fun to destroy blocks from enemies, but it is not fun to repair. It is fun to design ships however (maybe most of all fun), and anything improving that is worth improving.
    Actually, I meant for AI crewmen or robots to do the repairs, requiring the ship to go through the reboot process and maybe an additional repair period for the armor. The process is still automatic, besides the player having to have the resources and labor force on hand. They can't work in combat, or when the ship is on the move. But in this way, you can do very simple tasks outside a shipyard. The player enters design mode to decide where new blocks need to be placed/old removed/linkages altered, and during the reboot/repair process those blocks appear/disappear/relink as requested.

Honestly, after mulling over it through the night I'm not a real fan of 100% of all work being doable only at a shipyard. Humans (NPCs) and shipboard machines (robots) can handle little things like assembling a very small drone or fixing a door. True, you could do this yourself, but as battle so kindly pointed out some of us just want to see someone else do it. Shipyards can obviously handle bigger jobs, faster, for mass production, or on really large ships. I don't expect the guys to disassemble entire cannon arrays or sections of hull, but a work rate of a block every few seconds doesn't seem too stupid, does it? Obviously, you'd want to have a cancellation order, in case you didn't have the crew to handle the 500 blocks you wanted moved in a timely fashion.

Reaction score
    You wouldn't for stations.
    But that's besides the point, how would you get there in the first place if you can't build stuff without a massive shipyard that can only be built on a station which just so happens to be far away from spawn?
    spawning a core at spawn and attaching a thruster and power cap to it?
    From what I have read, Shipyards are only going to be absolutely necessary for larger ships, so there's nothing stopping you from making smaller stuff by hand.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    There isn't anything stopping NPC shipyards from existing.
    Yep. But to stop it from being abused it would cost money, and what happens when you die and lose your third ship and get stuck at spawn without enough money to build a ship because they made it so that you have to pay to even build a ship?

On the one hand, shipyards solve balance issues caused by the abuse of advanced buildmode. But making it so that you can't build at all without them is not a smart thing to do.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't think anyone anywhere ever suggested having player astronauts have to fix everything; a lot of people would like to see AI astronauts floating around and (at least apparently) repairing blocks rather than the shipyard automagically doing it. Please try to find the most reasonable interpretation of a suggestion before telling people off for "bringing in random Star Trek fantasies into the game." (If we want to get really specific, it seems that Star Trek had a few repair and maintenance drones anyway - ever heard of an Exocomp?)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I believe it's been mentioned but build mode allows for cheating in open space. Can't happen, period.

Reaction score
    lol, i'm hoping that when they say "repair crew" they are talking about NPC's that run around fixing the ship hopefully... a "crew'...
    it'd be nice to hire "turret" gunners that "anticipate" a ships movement, rather then trying to fire AT it (BOBBY AI)
    could have other benefits, like slow structure repairs, resistance to boarding parties...

anyway. I hope that is what they mean.

but why limit "build mode" as it is? a shipyard could allow rapid construction, and modification of your ship... E.G replacing a whole weapons computer and it's weapons with a different Type... like swapping missiles for ANTIMATTER cannons...
    upgrading the hull material to a better type...
    things that take HOURS, or days to do. just take the "symmetry" mode out, halve the block count you can set by holding CTRL...
    and people have ALL the encouragement needed to visit a shipyard over an "in field repair"

Reaction score
    Totally love this idea except the 100 modules make ships instantly. I believe you should just wait the time corresponding to how many blocks there is in a blueprint and have ONE module per shipyard.

Oh, also about build mode I think its way too OP, I think you should definitely have to use a shipyard for rebuilding and stuff.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Being able to handle basic work quickly in space isn't OP once you take out the advanced build functions and force players back into flight mode when taking damage, and force reboot before actually implementing the changes. At that point you would be unable to do anything safely unless you were entirely alone. I wouldn't want to do full hull replacements and fill out the interior one block at a time without symmetry functions. That's what shipyards do for you. But you and your repair crew (NPCs) should definitely be able to throw down a few blocks.

Also, I was wondering how build mode can be used to cheat at the moment. Once we can outline all the exploits, they can be handled individually. Which in my opinion is better than a blanket ban on a game feature.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well, they made an item to prevent some exploits as far as the new boarding system but that won't stop people from jamming their corridors with blocks when a fight starts. The major thing is using build mode to peek inside other ships to try to get an idea where things are or even to peek at display monitors which probably have shield and power displays. Sure, you could just not use them but we shouldn't lose a fun feature because people can cheat.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I got a question regarding the potential for multiple Design Computers...
    So would multiple people be able to use one Design Computer at once? If so, would they both work on separate projects, or collectively work on the same one? And if you had multiple Design Computers, would they use separate projects then or share projects? Perhaps some form of opening ability, to open a project to either a specific other computer or a specific other player, so that you could both work on it at the same time.