Votes: 3 14.3%
    • Bloody awful!

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How can we make combat more strategic and requiring to actually think? It's simple, instead of nerfing the OP ship weapons, why don't we give a bonus to those who think carefully about their weapons? I propose that we implement a way to have weapon blocks that are customizable, to allow for many things, such as:
    • A new way to make money on MP, you create a custom weapon blueprint, reproduce it and sell to all those seeking it, and eventually create increasing demand for this amazing weapon. You can even expand beyond one server, and supply entire groups with your special weapon specs.
    • Allow your carefully thought out amazing ship to wreck the giant death cubes. (effectively provide balance)
    • Provide the game with a whole new layer of depth.
    • Give proper roles to a ship by specializing the weapon to the point where it is perfect for sniping, but nothing else.
    • And of course, the current weapons will still be in the game, to prevent forcing people through this system.
    • Happiness! \o/
    So, how do we achieve customizable weapons?

The way you design a weapon is by creating a blueprint, you create a blueprint inside of a weapon workshop. The workshop provides you with a 3D grid within you place all of the modules, there is a limit on the size (being a single block) which you can leave there at any given time. The projected 3D image of your weapon stays projected when the workshop is not in use, allowing you to come back at any time as easy as possible. You do not require the modules to be in your inventory, you only require knowledge of that module for you to add in.

Once you have the blueprint of your weapon designed, then the blueprint calculates the required capsules/materials in order to create your weapon, meaning you don't have to deal with creating all of the inner modules to create a single weapon block.

There are three types of modules, Utility Modules, Projectile Module and Firing Module. Utility Modules consist of things that make the weapon function properly. Projectile Modules are the base of the weapon side of the weapon, it determines the base damage/effect of the weapon. Firing Module is self explanatory, it is the module which fires the projectile. The method in which the projectile is fired alters the base stats provided by the projectile, and adds in another effect.

• Micro-Capacitors - These determine the base time until a recharge is required.
    • Micro-Reactors - These determine the base recharge rate.
    • Heat Sink - This module acts as a capacitor for heat. If heat reaches too high a level (becomes more than the capacitor can withstand) it damages the weapon until the weapon is cooled down.
    • Heat Vents - These can only be placed at the edges of weapon/adjacent to other vents. These decrease the time it takes to cooldown. The heat vent is dynamic, and works best when next to other modules, particularly the Projectile Modules and Micro-Reactors. Having Heat Vents adjacent to Heat Sinks increases the Heat Capacity and decreases the cooldown time.
    • Projectile Loader - These increase the amount of shots until a recharge is required, generates extra heat.
    • Power Distributor - This increases the effectiveness of a module. For example, if you were to place a Power Distributor adjacent to the Projectile Module, it will increase the base damage the Projectile Module yields.
    • Acceletron - This increases the damage output of either the Projectile Module, or the Firing Module, it depends on which is adjacent to the Acceletron.
    • Signature Lock-On - If connected to a Missile Pod, it allows the weapon to lock on to an enemy ship, and the missile fired will become a homing missile.
    • Swarmer - When connected to a Firing Module, it fires multiple of the projectile at once, all in different directions. Reduces conventional damage and fire rate.

• High Energy Capacitor - This creates a projectile that is made entirely of compressed overpowered energy, causing both ion and heat (the higher the heat damage, the more armour is negated. The armour negated then becomes a multiplier for the conventional damage) and conventional (standard HP damage) damage. Having this adjacent to a Micro-Reactor increases recharge
    • Micro Particle Accelerator - This creates micro antimatter particles which explode on impact, causing mostly conventional damage, but adding a slight explosive (spread damage between blocks) effect, also has a slight amount of heat damage which is then divided evenly by the amount of blocks are hit with the explosive effect.
    • Conventional Loader - The prepares conventional bullets which causes only conventional damage, however it has a punch-through effect which is increased based on the firing method. This cannot have an Beam Stream or Ramming Sphere as a Firing Module.
    • Nanite Paste Dispensary - This prepares large swarms of nanites which cause only little conventional damage with a large explosive effect on impact, but it also eats away at the enemy ship, destroying blocks slowly around the impact area, and soon spreading across the ship. After a certain amount of time, the nanites die and the ship is no longer being eaten away.

• Beam Stream - The Beam Stream uses significantly more energy to hold the projectile in an endless stream which fires at it's target. Any holes within the stream are filled with extreme amounts of energy, and thus causes extra ion damage. +Fire Rate +Energy Consumption +Ion Damage -Conventional Damage
    • Accelerator - The Accelerator accelerates to an accelerated speed causing the accelerated projectile to do more damage and punch-through due to the acceleration. +Conventional Damage +Energy Consumption +Projectile Speed +Explosive/Punch-Through (depends on Projectile Module) -Fire Rate
    • Conventional Cannon - This effectively acts as the basic cannon in the game currently, it fires the projectile at a conventional speed with conventional damage, and it's type of damage/effect is entirely the base stats from the Projectile Module. +Conventional Damage +Fire Rate +Projectile Secondary Damage +Projectile Effect -Energy Consumption
    • Missile Pod - It's simple, it fires the projectile in a missile which can either Dumb Fire, Lock-On or Swarm Fire. The Energy Consumption is determined by the mode it fires in. +Conventional Damage +Projectile Secondary Damage +Explosive -Fire Rate
    • Ramming Sphere - The Ramming Sphere generates a sphere around itself in which the projectile damage is applied at a constant rate. This completely negates any effects caused by the Projectile Module. +Conventional Damage +Energy Consumption +Projectile Secondary Damage

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I had a similar idea a while back. People generally didn't like it for some reason.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Because it's way more complex then what we have now. Building the weapon in a seperate environment, having twenty different blocks to make the weapon (from what your suggestion puts out it seems you need at least 6 or 7 modules to make one weapon, where as right now you need only one to make a basic weapon. It also penalizes smaller ships because more blocks needed, and generally tends to not be a very starmady solution.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I do believe I forgot to put in that the current vanilla weapons would also be in the game, for anyone who doesn't want to create their own weapon. :p

I was more or less hoping that this would actually give small ships somewhat of an advantage over giant assholination cubes of death. There would be multiple types of those modules, each with their own stats, so if you are an explorer in a small fighter, then you could find some amazing module to shove in your weapons, and use that to be able to combat larger ships.

Not only that, I also seem to have forgotten to explain that this would make weapons more designed for specific roles, rather than just having a single gun that destroys everything in existence. This is what happens when you write a suggestion when extremely tired. :p

EDIT: I have now added that in, hopefully my entire idea is in the suggestion at this point.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Is this suggesting new blocks? Or micro-block system (blocks within blocks)? I can't really tell at first glance, but if it's the latter it's a hearty no for performance reasons.

It seems that instead of the linear 2 way tweaking system that we have now, you are suggesting a 3-way system? A lot of this seems like the same kind of thing you can make with the current system, just with fancier names and more buffs to everything. Everything seems to give a 'boost' to a few things as well, I'm not really a fan of such a description of things, cause it sounds sales-man-y and am actually interested in the parts' shortcomings as well as it's strengths.

But all in all, it seems like a more detail and complex version of what we already have, which sounds all fine and dandy but doesn't really add anything except a bigger learning curve and a few extra variations. Some of these effects could be brought to life by altering the configs though (Merging the explosive and punch effect together for example), so it's something I'd look at before getting into changing things around.

A new way to make money on MP, you create a custom weapon blueprint, reproduce it and sell to all those seeking it, and eventually create increasing demand for this amazing weapon. You can even expand beyond one server, and supply entire groups with your special weapon specs.
    That is impossible though. As soon as a person has a weapon, they could take it apart and sell it as their own rather easily.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is this suggesting new blocks? Or micro-block system (blocks within blocks)? I can't really tell at first glance, but if it's the latter it's a hearty no for performance reasons.

It seems that instead of the linear 2 way tweaking system that we have now, you are suggesting a 3-way system? A lot of this seems like the same kind of thing you can make with the current system, just with fancier names and more buffs to everything. Everything seems to give a 'boost' to a few things as well, I'm not really a fan of such a description of things, cause it sounds sales-man-y and am actually interested in the parts' shortcomings as well as it's strengths.

But all in all, it seems like a more detail and complex version of what we already have, which sounds all fine and dandy but doesn't really add anything except a bigger learning curve and a few extra variations. Some of these effects could be brought to life by altering the configs though (Merging the explosive and punch effect together for example), so it's something I'd look at before getting into changing things around.

That is impossible though. As soon as a person has a weapon, they could take it apart and sell it as their own rather easily.
    It's a blocks within blocks system. If it were actually done, it shouldn't cause much lag. In the workshop, you shove a bunch of blocks into the frame, once you have finished the block, all of the stats that the blocks add are the only thing when placing all of the weapon systems. The positions of the inner modules would simply be an XYZ variable within the global BP thingy. It's only one thing holding most of the stats, and the weapons getting everything they need to know (damage, types of damage, etc.)

This also isn't effectively the current system, as the current system adds effects/changes damage from the conventional damage. My system forces the weapons to be specialized, as they have the different kinds of damage from the start, allowing different roles on ship and making combat more interesting. I'm pretty sure most of this was stated in the main post, if not, then that's a problem. :P

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    It's a blocks within blocks system.
    Blocks within blocks was the first suggestion to ever be formally rejected by the new-ish suggestion tagging system. The game would either have to track all of the blocks inside the block at all times, or would lead to some form of ship meta data storing the stats for the block. It just seems rather easy for it to get out of hand.

All in all though, your suggestion is basically trying to do what the Master/Slave/Effect system was meant to do; specialized weapons that have pros and cons. The vanilla balance is just kinda shit and it all seems uninteresting in a way, but there is options. Also, I heavily dislike the use of the term "forced". If you are forcing anything, it's bad for a sandbox game. Period. A basic system that allows you to go in-depth into more complexes? Sure. But as soon as people are forced into making uninformed choices (new players that don't wiki dive), you'll find that they are gonna start looking for the most basic and generic weapon setups.

A learning curve is good. A learning wall on one of the basic systems is not. I may just be over reaction, but 'forced' is a pretty poor word to use imho.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Blocks within blocks was the first suggestion to ever be formally rejected by the new-ish suggestion tagging system. The game would either have to track all of the blocks inside the block at all times, or would lead to some form of ship meta data storing the stats for the block. It just seems rather easy for it to get out of hand.

All in all though, your suggestion is basically trying to do what the Master/Slave/Effect system was meant to do; specialized weapons that have pros and cons. The vanilla balance is just kinda shit and it all seems uninteresting in a way, but there is options. Also, I heavily dislike the use of the term "forced". If you are forcing anything, it's bad for a sandbox game. Period. A basic system that allows you to go in-depth into more complexes? Sure. But as soon as people are forced into making uninformed choices (new players that don't wiki dive), you'll find that they are gonna start looking for the most basic and generic weapon setups.

A learning curve is good. A learning wall on one of the basic systems is not. I may just be over reaction, but 'forced' is a pretty poor word to use imho.
    I said it forces the weapons, not the players. When I say this, I mean that the weapons that are being designed are having to be specialized as that is what would make sense with that particular projectile/firing method. It will in no way force the players to play a certain way, as the current weapons will still be in the game, allowing people to not go through this process.

I'm also pretty sure tool-tips/descriptions are useful to explain what a particular item does as well. :p

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    descriptions

No seriously, there is nothing more annoying than having to cycle back and forth between pages/tabs to compare item descriptions/stats. Tool tips might work, if they can be kept simple, none of that "hover over and get a wall of text" stuff. Part of why the current system is so workable is that you rarely need to consult a tool tip or description. Effects do what their names say, slaves have very defined gimmicks, and master damage styles are also defined. "Fancy name! Stat+ Stat+ Stat+" just doesn't compare in the understandability aspect.

I can also see issues with using this proposed method along side the current system. I can't objectively point out any reasons, but I feel like they would not be able to co-exist, mainly because they are so vastly different and would have to be incompatible.

I dunno, this is my 2 cents worth. /waddlesout

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4

No seriously, there is nothing more annoying than having to cycle back and forth between pages/tabs to compare item descriptions/stats. Tool tips might work, if they can be kept simple, none of that "hover over and get a wall of text" stuff. Part of why the current system is so workable is that you rarely need to consult a tool tip or description. Effects do what their names say, slaves have very defined gimmicks, and master damage styles are also defined. "Fancy name! Stat+ Stat+ Stat+" just doesn't compare in the understandability aspect.

I can also see issues with using this proposed method along side the current system. I can't objectively point out any reasons, but I feel like they would not be able to co-exist, mainly because they are so vastly different and would have to be incompatible.

I dunno, this is my 2 cents worth. /waddlesout
    Not everyone can't be bothered reading descriptions/tooltips/stats, I was hoping that this would reward those who strategise and actually think about their ship. At the moment, anyone can make a beyond OP assholinilation cube within a few minutes, and wreck everything in existence, this idea was to allow those who actually care about their ships and who think and strategise about their weapons to be able to actually stand a chance against the assholinilation cubes. And from what I can tell, people tend to get a lot of stats as perfect as possible, especially when it comes to weapons. I agree that reading "Fancy name! Stat+ Stat+ Stat+" isn't as easy to read as straight-forward name that explains everything, but that is what I was going for. Again, this was meant to compliment thinking, and carefully designing every aspect of your ship. At the moment, you can do this with aesthetics or power generation, but that isn't going to help too much in combat. On a side note, I highly doubt that "Fancy name! Stat+ Stat+ Stat+" will turn into tooltips comprised of walls of text, since "Fancy name! Stat+ Stat+ Stat+" is entirely what it's meant to be. :P

I highly doubt that if this was to be implemented, then the current slaving system wouldn't be there. I meant only the basic weapons would be there, not the effects or ability to slave.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    hmm noticed a slight flaw in this system Refitting people have had to refit ships again and again with this system people would have to refit ships again make them not only more time but almost a much higher price . People will not want to refit there ships again and this is slowly making ships far more expensive and it would also take longer to build a decent ship as well as the learning curve i have a few friends who are new to starmade and already find that the curve quite difficult so this extra learning curve could start to warn player away.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I want a voxel game with exactly this - also for power and other systems.

Some time back I suggested a config-option which adds a parameter to each block.
    A is the computer.
    B may only connect to A
    C may only connect to B
    D may connect to B+C
    Then count connections and change stats. A gives "S1", B gives "S2", C "S3", DB "S4" and DC "S5"
    A, B, C, D are variables -- fill in "Computer", "Heat sink", ...

You may also have a B that can connect to a B which is closer to A -- requires meta data similar to the current group info how far away a block is from A to be able to track which and how many blocks are connected.
    Because it's way more complex then what we have now. Building the weapon in a seperate environment, having twenty different blocks to make the weapon (from what your suggestion puts out it seems you need at least 6 or 7 modules to make one weapon, where as right now you need only one to make a basic weapon. It also penalizes smaller ships because more blocks needed, and generally tends to not be a very starmady solution.
    Only partially true.
    Right now you need a different computer+module for each weapon.

With this system you could maybe make a cannon out of A+B+C+D, a rail-gun out of A+B+D+E and a beam out of A+B+E+F.
    It would be more like adding effects.

I do believe I forgot to put in that the current vanilla weapons would also be in the game, for anyone who doesn't want to create their own weapon. :p

I was more or less hoping that this would actually give small ships somewhat of an advantage over giant assholination cubes of death. There would be multiple types of those modules, each with their own stats, so if you are an explorer in a small fighter, then you could find some amazing module to shove in your weapons, and use that to be able to combat larger ships.

Not only that, I also seem to have forgotten to explain that this would make weapons more designed for specific roles, rather than just having a single gun that destroys everything in existence. This is what happens when you write a suggestion when extremely tired. :p

EDIT: I have now added that in, hopefully my entire idea is in the suggestion at this point.
    This is exactly what I am preparing since a few months.

I know this will not make it into SM, but I will either add it to my own game or build a pure designer-software for RP-weapons of other games.

Maybe you can automatically generate these weapons based on evolutionary or neural-network algorithms which both might be more similar to each other as we expect if we look at it from a more abstract point of view.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I know this will not make it into SM, but I will either add it to my own game or build a pure designer-software for RP-weapons of other games.

Maybe you can automatically generate these weapons based on evolutionary or neural-network algorithms which both might be more similar to each other as we expect if we look at it from a more abstract point of view.
    There is the possibility for modding the game to add this in, I might be able to bring myself to do so, however it would require me learning the single language I hate. :/

With the randomly generated weapons, it would end up being a bit like borderlands, and this allows me to connect this post back up to my Dynamic Galaxies post, the weapons that are generated would be based on the empire, as another trait stored within their overall existence. Certain factions may excel in cooling down weapons, whereas others might excel in sniper-like weapons, and so on. If this was added, it would allow for serious role-play aspects, and can even allow an EVE Online similar system, where certain factions are better with certain weapons, so therefore you try to counter those weapons with your own weapons which you excel at most. (yes, that was me trying to get Vanhelzing on board :p)

Either way, this would actually add to the overall game experience, however I have to agree on the fact that refitting is a pain, but overall, it's a small loss. :p

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Weapons should be built out of physical blocks, not tiny subsystems. It'll just lead to an absolute mess to balance with not much gain, as most of this stuff can already be achieved with the M/S/E system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    OP you are making the weapon system WAY too complicated. You have to remember that this game has to have a certain acceptable learning curve so that when newbies pick up the game they won't have to learn and memorize a billion different technicalities just to make something as meager as a rapid-fire cannon or an explosive missile launcher. The system is fine as it is.

If you want to make a mod for the game that adds these mechanics, that's fine, but the default game has no business being so ridiculously overcomplicated.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    OP you are making the weapon system WAY too complicated. You have to remember that this game has to have a certain acceptable learning curve so that when newbies pick up the game they won't have to learn and memorize a billion different technicalities just to make something as meager as a rapid-fire cannon or an explosive missile launcher. The system is fine as it is.

If you want to make a mod for the game that adds these mechanics, that's fine, but the default game has no business being so ridiculously overcomplicated.
    Weapons should be built out of physical blocks, not tiny subsystems. It'll just lead to an absolute mess to balance with not much gain, as most of this stuff can already be achieved with the M/S/E system.
    I understand that over-complication is a big issue, but will this really be so complicated that it will be impossible to learn? Of course not, from the system I proposed, all it really is is combining stats together to make your own unique weapon, it's effectively the current system but with more features and possibilities. The current system feels a bit too basic, and lacking depth. The system I've proposed will add that missing depth, it will create entirely new areas of the game to explore, allow for more roleplay and will create proper ship roles. And it will allow people to counter the assholinilation cubes using superior weapons. This system will reward the strategic players in a massive way, as discovering new modules, and the research part mentioned in the Dynamic Galaxies will allow for even little tiny babby ships to go up against assholinilation cubes. The benefits of this significantly outweighs a learning curve getting SLIGHTLY, I repeat, SLIGHTLY, more intense.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    all it really is is combining stats together to make your own unique weapon,
    You mean like the M/S/E system?

The current system feels a bit too basic, and lacking depth.
    In what way does 180 (16 combos + 4 basics * 9 effects) weapon combinations feel basic and lacking depth?

allow for more roleplay
    This creates a roleplay environment in what way, exactly?

And it will allow people to counter the assholinilation cubes using superior weapons.
    And the cube can't use these weapons for... what reason, exactly?

the research part mentioned in the Dynamic Galaxies will allow for even little tiny babby ships to go up against assholinilation cubes.
    "little tiny babby ships" shouldn't be able to kill "assholinilation cubes." You aren't Luke Skywalker. You aren't doing a bombing run through a trench on the Death Star. A little ship cannot go 1v1 with a big ship. Should a ship that's a bit smaller than a larger one be able to take it on if the pilot has decent skill or specialized alphastrike weapons? Sure. Should the equivalent of a motorboat be able to take down the equivalent of a destroyer? NO.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    "little tiny babby ships" shouldn't be able to kill "assholinilation cubes." You aren't Luke Skywalker. You aren't doing a bombing run through a trench on the Death Star. A little ship cannot go 1v1 with a big ship. Should a ship that's a bit smaller than a larger one be able to take it on if the pilot has decent skill or specialized alphastrike weapons? Sure. Should the equivalent of a motorboat be able to take down the equivalent of a destroyer? NO.
    You use that motorboat to enter the ship and inject your mind-controlling drug into the ventilation system.

Fun aside, the game should do something to keep ship sizes closer together.
    - twice the scale and peoples already start complaining either one or the other side.

The problem is that we think in 1D or 2D, but ships get stronger in 3D.
    Perhaps the only way to counter-act is, to do something (like warp-gate capacities of public gate-systems, etc) to softly push ships into certain clearly separated mass-zones which are distinguishable enough.​
    Alternatively, you could just cheat with the visual size and show bigger ships even bigger and smaller ships even smaller (compared to the one you are flying).

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4

First of all, it turns out I have missed another important part of the creation system, which if not explained, creates the overcomplication. When creating the actual weapon, it's not a matter of you need to manufacture all of the modules before you can make a single weapon block, the blueprint thingy of the weapon automatically calculates all of the capsule needed to make it, making the manufacturing process significantly easier. If this lacking was the cause of your reasoning for this being overcomplicated, I apologize sincerely for the confusion. :p

You mean like the M/S/E system?
    Sort of but with more depth.

In what way does 180 (16 combos + 4 basics * 9 effects) weapon combinations feel basic and lacking depth?
    Due to the fact that there are no rules, no proper ways to make a gun effective other than plop shit everywhere. This system allows for not only more combos, but also more strategic placement of the modules within the weapon, to make it as effective as possible.

This creates a roleplay environment in what way, exactly?
    I have stated this before, so I'm just going to quote myself on this:
    With the randomly generated weapons, it would end up being a bit like borderlands, and this allows me to connect this post back up to my Dynamic Galaxies post, the weapons that are generated would be based on the empire, as another trait stored within their overall existence. Certain factions may excel in cooling down weapons, whereas others might excel in sniper-like weapons, and so on. If this was added, it would allow for serious role-play aspects, and can even allow an EVE Online similar system, where certain factions are better with certain weapons, so therefore you try to counter those weapons with your own weapons which you excel at most.
    And the cube can't use these weapons for... what reason, exactly?
    I find it hard to believe that someone who spends a couple of minutes plonking 10x10x10 cubes of systems everywhere, is really going to spend the time to go exploring for better modules, let alone research into them. I hardly even expect them to make their own custom weapon if they aren't going to care about their ship enough.

When I say tiny little babby ship, I'm comparing it to the giant Assholinilation cubes, they aren't fighter sized, that'd just be bloody ridiculous. However I do see how you could think that, and I apologize for the confusion.

EDIT: I've updated the weapon creation system to include the piece of info it was missing.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I have stated this before, so I'm just going to quote myself on this:
    This doesn't add "roleplay." It just forces players into crippling overspecification of their more "advanced weapons" depending on where they set up their base.

I find it hard to believe that someone who spends a couple of minutes plonking 10x10x10 cubes of systems everywhere, is really going to spend the time to go exploring for better modules, let alone research into them. I hardly even expect them to make their own custom weapon if they aren't going to care about their ship enough.
    A system cube isn't about being lazy or not caring about your ship or whatever you think it's about. It's about min-maxing. If you introduce the Ultimate Min-Maxing Tool, which supposedly allows ships that are "little babbys" (still no clear definition on what the fuck that actually means in terms of size), they're going to use it, and we're going to be right back at square one. Obviously there are blueprints for this. If they are able to be uploaded to the server, it'll just be a matter of time before someone makes the best version possible of each weapon type, and then everybody will have it, because they'd be MORONS to use anything else. If it's not able to be uploaded to the server, you'll have a schematic someone posts online for how to build the best modules, at which point somebody will build them in-server.

Instead of smaller well designed ships taking on bigger system bricks, you're just gonna have a well designed small ship getting it's ass handed to it by a larger system brick with the same god damn weapon systems the smaller ship is running. You know, the same thing that already happens right now?