Custom Ship Classes (Read for more info)

Should this be added?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    As said in the title, I would like custom ship classes added. It is a system where you could go into a menu, most likely faction, to make it faction only classes, and create a class. It would show up next to the ship column in the navigation menu, as shown in this image:

Well, that's my suggestion. It would add another way to enjoy role playing in StarMade. Thanks for reading, and have fun in StarMade.

Reaction score
    This has been suggested before and probably will be suggested again. The developers said no, as they believe classification is for players to decide, being more RP than anything.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    This has been suggested before and probably will be suggested again. The developers said no, as they believe classification is for players to decide, being more RP than anything.
    He's not suggesting that Schine make a class system, even though Schine has done so in that you have "mining", "general", etc. He's asking that Schine open that up so that players can create classes for themselves.

Reaction score
    A ship's class type is not some set in stone checklist of criteria. It's all about roles.

And while yes, titans and battleships are generally bigger than destroyers, this is due to their role, and as ships need more capability they invariably get larger.

That aside, a ships class is totally dependent on the person whobfesigned it. What if some of my ship classes don't fit into any particular box?

IRL, no navy knew exactly what another navies ships really were, unless that country stated it. All they could do is look at the guns, and dimensions, and kind of male am educated guess. Nazi Germany's cruiser Admiral Graf Spee was referred to as a "pocket battleship" because to the English it certainly seemed more like a battleship than a cruiser. But it certainly was a cruiser, and was used as such.

Anyway, my point is this: DONT TRY TO FIT ME IN A BOX MAN! Lol

I have nothing against anyone's particular "class" system but leave me out of it. Any sort of organizational list like this should be limited to whomever you play with. Merely having it as an option is totally superfluous.

Of course, I am always open to being swayed. But when I was younger I was obsessed with catagorizing every vessel I ever saw, both real and fictional, and I finally discovered that any sort of actual system is loosely defined at best, and works simply because everyone ahrees on it.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    A ship's class type is not some set in stone checklist of criteria. It's all about roles.
    And he's asking for a way to create and name such roles. When you go to save a blueprint, the default role or name is "General", if you click the dropdown menu you'll see there are a few that are likely going to be used by the factions. The OP is simply asking that we be able to add our own categories and designations into that list.

He mentions that it could be by faction too.

Reaction score
    O
    And he's asking for a way to create and name such roles. When you go to save a blueprint, the default role or name is "General", if you click the dropdown menu you'll see there are a few that are likely going to be used by the factions. The OP is simply asking that we be able to add our own categories and designations into that list.

He mentions that it could be by faction too.
    Ah. I see.

In that case I change my mind. That would actually be pretty nice. Sorry for misunderstanding you, RossTerra!

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    hLJky7Q.png
    The original image had just too many columns.

4 columns and 2 lines is enough and other information should be in a target-information window.

You can use this information to tell others you are using your faction's
    • Flagship
    • Trader
    • Space Patrol
    Currently we do this inside the ships name "SpacePatrol_DesignName_ShipName"
    • But this is clutter on the HUD

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If it's designed to be filled by the builder, it needs to have an option for the player/faction to override the class text. Imagine: if the builder purposely classifies their heavy battlecruiser as a "light scout", specifically to draw in victims looking for an easy salvage, the player should be able to see the mass or some other tell-tale aspect of the ship and re-classify it. I mention "faction", because it would be good to transmit the "updated" classification to the rest of the team, so that nobody falls into a trap.

Additionally, one person's idea of a small fighter might be a destroyer to someone else, and vice versa.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    If it's designed to be filled by the builder, it needs to have an option for the player/faction to override the class text. Imagine: if the builder purposely classifies their heavy battlecruiser as a "light scout", specifically to draw in victims looking for an easy salvage, the player should be able to see the mass or some other tell-tale aspect of the ship and re-classify it. I mention "faction", because it would be good to transmit the "updated" classification to the rest of the team, so that nobody falls into a trap.

Additionally, one person's idea of a small fighter might be a destroyer to someone else, and vice versa.
    He's not asking for Schine to put in a classification system or to force one on the community. He's asking for the ability for people to be able to put in their own, say for example a player's personal faction.

There's a quasi system there already, when you go to save a blueprint, there's a dropdown menu there that defaults to "General", with options for mining, etc.

Like I don't think he means for everyone to be able to see it. And even if he does, everyone's idea of a specific ship type is different. One shouldn't assume anything.

EDIT: Actually, people shouldn't fall for it. I doubt anyone would, actually.

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Did no one read the post?

This is an alright idea. It still shows the mass of the ship, so there's not any potential for cheesing people.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    10000 billion blocks isn't a scout :p

I would like more fields actually:
    Classification – tied to faction
    Ship blueprint name – tied to author​
    Ship ID – tied to spawn time
    Ship name – tied to player choice
    Faction information – faction intern ship information.

But not all of them have to be shown in the target information. It would be useful if you could configure your HUD yourself.

Reaction score
    Maybe more like a title system. You could name the ship as you can now and also create a name title. I think this is an easy and potential useful/humorous system.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That's a 10k by 10k by 100k doomcube. Massive, even on sci-fi standards
    XD, depends on if you use the german "Billionen = 1'000 Milliarden = 1'000'000 Millionen" or the english "billion = 1'000 million".
    It was obviously a joke "up to eleven".​
    Or perhaps, usually the username is the one you register on the forum/starcitizen when you log in with that account.
    But when I play on a StarTrek and a Warhammer server (examples), or even as 2 RP-peoples on an RP server …
    … then pilot name alone isn't sufficient.

I guess, someone will find a use for 10 fields tied to the ship/pilot, so why not make it an open choice?
    Anyone can put as much info as he wants, but some fields are auto-populated (mass, id) by the system and others are static names commonly used by everyone (ship/pilot/author name/info)​

Code:
    Ship Name: [ship name]
    Shiffsgewicht: [ship mass]
    Pilot Name: [pilot name]
    Pilotenrang: [pilot rank]
    Irgendwas / Anything: [author info]