Criss' Thread

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Or he wasn't entirely aware of the release plans?

Anyway, going back to the TG Frigate for a bit. Turns out from the recent stream that the things a beast.
    Yeah and the Pirate Frigate is a push over. :P

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I say we have a mini challenge, dev builders vs player builders to end this little dispute of who can design a better ship using the same outside shells. :)

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I say we have a mini challenge, dev builders vs player builders to end this little dispute of who can design a better ship using the same outside shells. :)
    I would expect a massacre.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Greetings citizens!

Time again for a ship showcase. This time it is the Outcast Salvager!

So, with the Outcasts being scavengers of a sort, they need salvagers. The Scavenger pirates steal their salvage from others, but the Outcasts have the patience to mine their resources. They largely focus on mining, reprocessing, and industrial work. Despite their focus on these industries, they do not enjoy decadent stations such as the trade guild. They are a nomadic people. These people have formed a loose alliance to watch each others backs in the wake of their unfortunate pasts. Young or old, many ill-fated people wind up among the Outcasts. Industrial jobs are good honest work, and it keeps them going as they visit merchants or others who would buy from them.

The vessel itself takes after the freighter we designed earlier. This ship is comprised of many parts. Again you may notice additional structures built on top of older ones as the Outcasts discovered salvage they could use. The salvage is studied by engineers, who then integrate it with standard designs for Outcast hulls. This can often lead to inefficient systems, but anything to get the edge on an enemy is a win for the Outcasts. In a way, the continue to dig a hole for themselves when it comes to technology, as they never take the opportunity to further their own designs.

Here we can see the engines. Most Outcast ships are equipped with external jump drives. The drives on this ship are so small they managed to fit them inside the hull. Coming from so many races, the Outcasts are knowledgeable on many different systems. Instead of outrunning an enemy, they try to brush off attacks with armor hardeners and shielding. They aren't experts, but they will take what they can get. Their ships are rugged, but somehow endure. (Imagine the Millenium Falcon constantly breaking down, now apply that to most Outcast vessels :p)

The profile of the ship should be an indicator as to how sub-standard the design is. Without the detail, it is literally engines attached to a salvage array with a shaft in between. Power runs down that shaft. The lower section funnels resources up into the cargo bay. Underneath you will see the primary capacitor structure. Various armor plates and mechanical bits cover the hull. The ship also comes equipped with a tractor beam for towing salvage to a destination.

This tiny thing is a mini miner. The glass dome houses a lone pilot, usually one of the two required to operate the larger vessel. It is also capable of remote drone flight, however it is of course not always entirely reliable. The idea original was implemented after one an asteroid struck and detached the entire structure from the larger vessel. It has since been converted into a proper ship, and attached to hulls from that point onward. :p

As we move onto larger vessels for the Outcasts, you will see more intense mining vessels, even more capable than this vessel here.

I am hoping to create a lot of variants for the Outcasts, although it is a bit tough, as their internal and external designs make it either fairly obvious as to what they are, or impossible to re-arrange. We will have to see. Unless I can finish their frigate by next week, we won't be seeing any more Outcast builds for a while. I have however just finished a new TG station. I don't believe we discussed it yet. I also have finished a pirate ship. Yes a legit pirate. It's exciting to see these things fight. Can't wait to share that! Anyway thanks for reading.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm digging the little bits of outcast lore. They sound exactly like a faction I'd side with in a singleplayer campaign. :D

Reaction score
    Sounds like some guys from Fallout's post-apocalyptic world met up with Han Solo and put together a starship. Mismatched pieces, ugly, probably rusted everywhere, constantly breaking down, yet functional and occasionally even great.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I really love the hot rod look the bigger outcast ships have, it definitely gives them a noticeable signature look! You should have some of your lore in-game, accessible via conversations with NPCs or something. :D

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Sort of late to the topic but way further down the line when legendary ships become a thing can we get experienced community members to design the weapon systems on them? Just to make them extra dangerous and legendary feeling.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Sort of late to the topic but way further down the line when legendary ships become a thing can we get experienced community members to design the weapon systems on them? Just to make them extra dangerous and legendary feeling.
    Probably not. I expect by then we will be much better at designing ships on our own. I'm also going to take more time with those ships. The fighters I work on I would be willing to finish within a day if I could.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Greetings citizens. Another showcase for you today!
    This time we are taking a look at the Vault Station. This is a Trading Guild station, and serves as the next best thing to the Regional Hub (Spawn Station).

The station is quite advanced looking, and for good reason. These stations are very important to the Trading Guild. They hold many of the Guilds wealth within. The Frontier brings new opportunities, but the TG would be naive to think they would not need to protect their assets. This station is designed with that purpose in mind.

As you can see, quite a number of ships can dock to the station. Eight in total. These stations are to be spread around the area near the Regional Hub. They will hopefully act as a safe haven for new players. They will be heavily defended, and are a bit tough for new players to crack. We hope players will come here if they do not have access to their own Homebase yet.

Why would you want to come here? Well the lovely, albeit small apartments. This is more intended for roleplay. At the moment there is no way to claim one of these rooms, however it would really give some purpose to these stations if a player could rent space like that.

The lobby is quite large and offers some impressive window space. Below this deck lies a refinery, capable of supporting very new industrialists.

The shops of the station offer just about everything you can find in space. The Trading Guild will focus it's trade on the Regional Hub, and so these shops are intended to be the next step in terms of capacity.

The Director gets a nice room with a great view and an excellent office to go with it. There are some easter eggs here, and I hope with these builds we get the opportunity to add more to the game.

The vault itself. This structure is quite armored, and you will need to be getting past some security to gain access to the riches within!

The structure overall is quite unique, however it isn't the first TG station that has gone so vertical. The TG already varied so drastically in all of their designs that is was impossible to create something that fit with all of them. Future stations will conform to each other better.

With that, we have two TG stations left, neither of which are started. The first being a warp gate and the second being a shipyard. Both of these stations we will not be seeing for a while. We need a good idea as to how large they will need to be and we can't have that until we build larger ships.

You may ask, "Why not just build a massive warpgate?". Well we could, and it would guarantee that all TG ships could fit, but we don't want that. We only want a certain size to fit inside the warp gate and maybe the shipyard. We will eventually have large and extra large ships. Basically verging on captial/titan sizes. These ships should not get the additional benefit of Warp Gate travel in our eyes. Warp gates will likely be used sparingly by the TG, as this is technically a new region for them (not sure how long they have been here, but not as long as other factions).

Well, that's that for now. Next up we might actually get our first pirate ship post :D If you have any questions I am happy to answer. Thanks for reading!

------------------------------------
    Edit - I edit the imgur album for these factions each time I post one of these builds. They often include more information and bits of lore. Check them out. The albums can be located in the first post.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Shouldn't you be in bed? It's like 2? :P

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    So does this mean starmade will have somekind of physical credits.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    So does this mean starmade will have somekind of fhysical credits.
    It's not anything I am thinking about right now. I am sure you can disrupt credits in the economy by attacking trade itself. Idk if we would need physical credits.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    It's not anything I am thinking about right now. I am sure you can disrupt credits in the economy by attacking trade itself. Idk if we would need physical credits.
    Or why not some realy rare block that trading guild keeps fro other factions.
    I was thinking if other ai faction in the future will be able to keep there stuff in traiding guild vaults.I don't know if they will be able to do that, why not make that attcking trading guilt vaults will create tention wiyh factions that use the treiding guild vaults.If it is a future plan.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Or why not some realy rare block that trading guild keeps fro other factions.
    I was thinking if other ai faction in the future will be able to keep there stuff in traiding guild vaults.I don't know if they will be able to do that, why not make that attcking trading guilt vaults will create tention wiyh factions that use the treiding guild vaults.If it is a future plan.
    Chances are factions will not use the Trading Guild vault. Simple trading is all we need. Not sure what you mean by special block. Attacking the trading guild will not be a good idea and NPC's will have relations with each other.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hi Criss good job on the outcast ships.
    1. Is there any plan to make a trade guild standard cargo container that could be used to deliver goods to people or allow player to make delivery missions for the trade guild ?
    2. Will there be a public warpgate network managed by the trade guild ?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Hi Criss good job on the outcast ships.
    1. Is there any plan to make a trade guild standard cargo container that could be used to deliver goods to people or allow player to make delivery missions for the trade guild ?
    2. Will there be a public warpgate network managed by the trade guild ?
    1 - Yes we will have a standard sized container. We already made them actually although I don't think they hold much or anything right now. It will be a container like 5x5x3 or 3x3x3 or something. We will make larger ones too.

2 - We want to. But it won't be massive. It will only encompass the space the TG occupies. I imagine they will tax people to warp.

Reactions: El_Poulpy
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    thanks for the answer. It correspond to what i had in mind when i asked.