Constructor Module

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    While discussing the game a suggestion came up to add a block-constructing module on ships.
    Ships that had their blocks destroyed would slowly be rebuilt based on a schematic linked to the Module and the amount of available minerals in the ship's inventory. It would thus require an inventory block on the ship to function. It would be done too slowly to be effective during combat, and using large amounts of such modules would mean using valuable space and energy needed for other things. It would help specalize ships like large carriers that aren't meant for a direct combat role.
    I won't pretend to be a coder but with the existence of schematics it also seems like a relatively simple work to achieve, execluding the question of what to be done when there are physical obstacles in the module's building path.
    The main reason it was brought up was to replace blocks on really large ships where you can't quite tell where the damage was done, and to save yourself from the option of spending millions on a completely new ship just because of a few missing blocks that mess with your mind.
    Another use of it would mean strapping an inventory and a constructor block to a new core and watch as it's following the linked schematic and slowly building itself up. This could be a viable, more logical replacement to the pre-built ship purchase and would increase role-playing appeal and the feeling of being a part of something bigger with more large scale automated work around you. This would encourage increased mining and exploration.
    The downside is that it may remove some appeal from the healing beam because even though one repairs damaged blocks and the other rebuilds destroyed ones, it may cheapen the need to repair blocks at all.
    It may also become heavy on the server.
    Edit: Perhaps usable also on planet construction and creativity to help build cities.
    Thoughts?
    + An extra module to play with.
    + Ease on player frustration in after-battle repairs.
    + Encourage exploration & mining.
    + Encourage ship specalization.
    + Increase game depth.
    + Alternative to pre-built ship purchases.

- Makes the Astro Technobeam more redundant.
    - Adds more burden to servers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like this idea, I had a somewhat different variation of it. I think it should be an outside service, like a randomly generated space repair station, or perhaps even shops could do it instantly for a price. A \"restore to specs\" service. Cost dependant on how what is missing of course.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This idea right here, Is perfect. Really like how it balances the current game some and makes factions and gathering vastly more important.It should deffiantly be player driven though.

Reaction score
    Did you get this from the /vg/ thread, i posted this idea on there a while ago, and i knew people picked up on it, but i didn\'t think they had posted it, so i put it up in my list too.
    It\'s a great concept to play around with, and i hope it gets implemented.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I was already planning something in that direction.
    However, a constant repair mechanism may prove difficult, since the game can\'t really distinguish if a block was deleted by a player willingly or destroyed.
    It also would make ships a little bit too autonomous, which not only takes away the need for the repair beam (as you already said), but also reduces the need for players to be organized, and have single points in the universe to meet.
    Therefore I was going with a repair dock, which is an extension to the normal docking, but can only be built on stations. Faction members, allies, and (if allowed) neutrals can dock there and repair the ship by either paying with their own blocks, or buying it from the stations personal shop (which is also planned). They can chose what schematics to use when repairing, so they could even upgrade ships that have been spawned from older versions of a blueprint.

Reaction score
    Is it a possibility to require a certain % of the ships block match the schematic? This way after a certain point a ship isn\'t repairable and only good for scrap (or to leave as a floating husk in space)
    This would also allow upgrades but prevent just \"upgrading\" your fighter into a battleship...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yea I like It having a threshold for being repairable. schema are you thinking about making a construction type block that works similarly? With blocks( or money) and a schmatic to make a ship, preferably over time to make bases and shipyards required , and to be protected during the construction .

Reaction score
    Calbiri, why would it be disadvantageous to the game to have people insert their fighter into a bay and the bay restructures it into a cruiser or destroyer?

A player could do the same by hand, and it would take the same amount of resources either way.

I just can\'t wait to see the repair bays ingame so my trading station will have another service to offer in addition to buying and selling resources and offering sanctuary to nomads and visiting faction astronauts. I could even associate a monetary charge if schema will allow station owners to put prices on automated services.

If fuel never gets added i guess having repair bays could work just as well for a form of \"truck stop\" services i plan to offer.

Upon further reflection if it is only construction docks that have this ability, then capital ships will need to have a dedicated docks with huge amounts of docking enhancers on the outside of stations unless the stations have a very large internal bay for such things

What is the point of healing beams anyways?
    Unless things change greatly, they are pretty much useless since the ships that only damage blocks but not destroy them are peashooters and the ones that can do any serious damage will destroy any block in one shot.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey Present. Sorry for the delay but I\'m not forum active. The discussion I mentioned is from /vg/ but I didn\'t see your suggestion. I was complaining how I\'d be worried my ship would get hit in a fight and even though the damage is minimal I wouldn\'t know where to replace the blocks. So I said such a module would be nice and people liked the idea. I added that it would also be great if it can be used to just construct ships from nothing with it and it can replace the insant \"buy ship\" option and people added their suggestions as well so I compiled most of the thoughts and put them here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Such a feature is better suited to space stations and docks, rather than given directly to ships. Any form of regenerating health allows vessels to survive an infinite amount of enemy fire on the extreme scales. It would not be a problem to regenerate ships in dock, as they do not have to deal with combat issues.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You know how it is. If you can\'t say anything nice...

The idea of fully autonomous, self repairing vessels sounds like a disaster in the making. Even the idea of a mobile repair dock can be shaky, if ships use it as a means of chain repairing each other. But the idea of a mobile dock carries the implication that ships are enclosed by and protected by the carrier. It is not possible for ships to enclose and shield each other to make some kind of indestructable two headed repair beast. Unless they build a gigantic hull brick and dock that and use that as some kind of self healing shield or something.

Wait a minute. That sounds awesome! I\'ll take 10.