Community involvement

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hi there,

just wanted you to update on a decision I've made:

For exactly the issues which I feel like they need a lot of different views and, and hands-on player experience, I'm going to start official reddit threads. Now I know that not everybody here is a fan of reddit, but in this particular case it's probably the most readable form. Don't get me wrong, I still read the official forum (and there will hopefully be a better version of that soon also), but it's hard to see popular consensus manifest in that form. It's great however to discuss new ideas to get them more refined, so I believe a lot of the ideas that will pop up on the reddit thread are already very well thought out because of the ongoing discussion on the forums.

I like to discuss in those coming threads in detail especially balancing issues.

The first few threads will involve shield-balancing, weapon/missile balancing, and economy. I also will try to give the best possible information about the system's inner works (formulas etc.)

I also have to put a disclaimer here that I can't promise I will actually go with the most popular idea (it's likely but not 100% sure).

Thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Sometimes the idea that is most popular is not the most logical one. For example, people would definitely be in favor of spherical planets, but you have demonstrated to us that that is just not feasible. Certain features may just be too hard to code. So please people, when you make your requests, think them out. Think about whether or not they would be feasible to code, or practical in the long run. We all want this game to be the most amazing space sandbox in history, but it can\'t have everything. That just wouldn\'t work.

Love all the work you are putting in to this game, Schema, and thank you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    you should adopt some of the redit features, to make this a better forum to your liking then. take/mimic the features you like, and make it so they work here. should make it so we dont need to go through more work to get you to look, while converting all the old posts into the new system, so you can look through all the things you want to

Reaction score
    what u need to do is have more programers on hand cause your making the bugs worse

Reaction score
    don\'t be mean cor3y it\'s not his fault he doesn\'t know how to gzip with java making server files over 30gb+

Reaction score
    This was a friggin ALPHA. Why would he bother compressing files when he\'s continually working in them... c\'mon...

Reaction score
    Feel free to report them so he can correct them. Only stating there are bugs is inefficient. You must point him what, where, when they happen so he can correct them.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Will you be crossposting here as well, Schema? That might draw a few more people to these forums, which ultimately makes them more useful to you and us.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Are you implying that more programmers mean less bugs?

Have you ever worked in a programming job, mate ^^

Reaction score
    no one gzip class files I\'m talking about the data files like planets floating rock ships...

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    the raw block data is gzipped. The meta data is not zipped for performance resons. Where is this hostility coming from?

Reaction score
    schema u should allow some ppl from this community to help their is plenty of java coders here

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I believe there are some very skilled people, but in this stage problems are not being soved by throwing more people at it. I know it might seem that bugs are getting worse, but if you read the news from the last few month you can see that so many issues have been fixed. I did a lot of new features lately which natually bring a lot of new bugs with them, but don\'t forget about the bugs that have been fixed.

Reaction score
    you should also stop drinking bear each time the server gets greenlit. It\'s bad for the lungs.

Reaction score
    I can see how attempting to drink a bear would be bad for your lungs, as well as the rest of you.

Reaction score
    please focus on the ping spike issues no matter how fast the connection ping will just randomly skyrocket into the thousands

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"95% of people will love your work, and you\'ll only hear bad things from the 5% who don\'t.\"

Just ignore the statistical haters. They hang around every project.

I\'m curious, Schema, do you have forum software in mind already, or are you still in the process of choosing the right one? If you are still deciding, are you leaning more towards a paid forum or a free one?

If you\'re unsure about which forum to choose, that might be a good question to ask users on Reddit. You\'ll get the most popular option upvoted to the top.

Food for thought.