Community Fleet Contest Results!

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I don't want to sound mean, but writing 103 reviews sounds like quite a lot of effort.
    Not asking for more than a few sentences. If the effort results in improved builds then it may be worth it. This could be done with a form-template as the fleets are being reviewed (for next contest). Then when the decision is made the judges just need to send a copy of the results to the author. I don't feel the winners need this as much since being accepted is a form of positive feedback by itself... and it is proof of their abilities. As it stands PMs will be replied to (mine was thanks) so I'm happy with the outcome.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    One thing to note is that we will most likely have another fleet contest at some point in the future.
    Will fleets from the future contest take the place of fleets included in this contest?

Reaction score
    Is the Conversations option the appropriate avenue for some feedback?

Congrats to everyone who got in, and I'm not surprised I didn't make the cut. My ships were good, but they weren't spectacular, and I had already accepted that if I for chosen, it would be barely scraping the bottom level of quality they were looking for.

Anyways, it it was fun building them, and I feel I'm a better ship architect afterwards. The ship I'll be working on for the next couple of months is going to be leaving everything else in the dust, so maybe next time :)

Reactions: Top 4ce and Criss

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Will fleets from the future contest take the place of fleets included in this contest?
    No. They would be new fleets in addition to the ones we have received for this contest. The only way we would get a replacement is if it comes from the builder and that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Captainredfox

Custom titles... neat
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    are you kidding!? :D that fleet looks awesome to me!
    Wow, and from the king of shipbuilding himself!

Ditto! I was super-duper hoping for that fleet to get in-game, Captainredfox !

So many incredible entries, can't wait to see and interact with them in-game. :)
    Thanks, I didn't realize that anyone would have liked it. :D
    You're right, there are a lot of amazing entries; that's why I didn't think that I would have been accepted!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    After the procedurally generated factions get added in, are they going to eventually have a home planet with randomly generated housing on it? Because everybody needs a home.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    MOSTLY FOR DEV TEAM MEMBERS - A quick report about a possible contest mistake:

First off, congrats for you guys, devs and builders alike, for reaching this point in this great little contest!
    But it seems that someone might have been left uncredited - the main ship in skylordluke_fleet_submission_5 ("Engineers") is more than suspiciously similar to a community content ship called "BI Asteroid Salvager" uploaded in 2014 by a builder named Maranello. It might be that the design is Maranello's original work, or it might be that both his and skylord's ship qualifies as a StarMade replica of a design that previously appeared in outside media. I guess the second possibility is the one that really demands clarification, because the way things go nowadays with all the copyright bureaucracy, who knows what could result from including that spacecraft as official game content (if it actually has appeared in the past in other games or movies, etc).

StarMade is a wonderful creative game, and players, especially those who want their creations to officially exist in-game, should know where to put the proper credit for artistic/ engineering originality. As a sidenote, I prefer Maranello's version, skylord's iteration feels kind of rushed. Maranello was messaged two weeks ago, no sign of him since.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Wow! Been away for awhile; a lot has happened! I never thought my ships would make it. I entered them on a dare to myself because had fun making them. I am truly honored. Congrats to all who made it, and all who didn't. There were a lot of good Fleets. I do not envy the process it must of taken to reach the victors.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations

First off, congrats for you guys, devs and builders alike, for reaching this point in this great little contest!
    But it seems that someone might have been left uncredited - the main ship in skylordluke_fleet_submission_5 ("Engineers") is more than suspiciously similar to a community content ship called "BI Asteroid Salvager" uploaded in 2014 by a builder named Maranello. It might be that the design is Maranello's original work, or it might be that both his and skylord's ship qualifies as a StarMade replica of a design that previously appeared in outside media. I guess the second possibility is the one that really demands clarification, because the way things go nowadays with all the copyright bureaucracy, who knows what could result from including that spacecraft as official game content (if it actually has appeared in the past in other games or movies, etc).

StarMade is a wonderful creative game, and players, especially those who want their creations to officially exist in-game, should know where to put the proper credit for artistic/ engineering originality. As a sidenote, I prefer Maranello's version, skylord's iteration feels kind of rushed. Maranello was messaged two weeks ago, no sign of him since.
    I'll look into this.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I went to download the BI Asteroid Salvager because I wanted to compare it and Skylord's ship myself in singleplayer, but all I get is an amazon error page. BI Asteroid Salvager
    https://smd-vault.s3.amazonaws.com/2014/11/6405_0d9fde6f4fff98eece0b2dceef50a1a2.sment
    DukeofRealms
    For anyone who finds this error, simply replace https://smd-vault.s3.amazonaws.com/ with https://starmadedock.net/data/

We're working on the issue at the moment.
    Just for general use

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    Dang, I was hoping to get in. I worked with Madman198237 on it, the fleet had his name. Oh well, it was fun. Even though I have now found that the weapons systems appear to be very poorly setup. However, the shielding is, as usual, powerful for their sizes. I seem to find that I lack things to put in there, and I feel that there should be more of other systems in there, before realizing that the amount of shield gen I put in is insufficient even though I've added no capacity and used half the space ... xD. Good work, guys, I never expected too much to get it - not with the competition the way it was. I liked a lot of the ships, can't wait to see them all in game.
    Good work, everybody. Now to start harping on the devs for taking a whole two days or whatever it is to give us the in-game fleets! ;)

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I went to download the BI Asteroid Salvager because I wanted to compare it and Skylord's ship myself in singleplayer
    When I incidentally found the BI Asteroid Salvager, I merely searched the community content with the search term "salvager", to see how others build their mining ships. Maybe mr. skylord did the same, but then decided to claim it as his own design. I couldn't download the (possibly) original version either, but now that I have, I see that it really isn't a great build quality. But still, the whole "Engineers" fleet feels like a semi-careless speed-build, imho. And Maranello's version did have many nice ideas, we got to give him that. And the original is always the best (if there isn't any unknown third party involved) :D

Also some fun facts: Maranello first uploaded it 1 year, 4 months before the contest announcement, and Probability Theory tells us that the chance of random coincidence decreases as the number of similarities increases - so it's either a copy or some sort of miracle. But don't take me too seriously, people, I'm not a detective (yet) ;)

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It would be interesting if there was some kind of system setup to allow the builders to submit fixes and upgrades to their existing fleets. Small changes here and there as needed to make sure they keep working down the road. Might help take some weight off the devs for maintaining them. :)

Reaction score

Quick search got me this:
    http://kotaku.com/5901269/my-favourite-spaceships-in-the-world-arent-in-games-or-movies-but-lego/
    with

it is from 2012 so predates both entries.

PS: found the original designer North Central Positronics
    maybe possible to get a licence?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lennart and Starpor