Community Behaviour

Status
    Not open for further replies.

diremage

Tech Wizard
    Reaction score
    Just want to point out that my post, "[Post deleted by moderator: -1 disagree]" was deleted by a moderator for reason: Not constructive.

This is exactly the kind of abusive censorship that shows why you should only delete posts for illegal content.

For the record I think it's hilarious, since it was a reply to an argument for censorship, but apparently normal users can't see a deleted post at all so deleting it rather strongly shores up the point I was making.
    Edit: Post was reinstated upon discussion with moderation, post IS offtopic, however when the post was reinstated, it was given a disclaimer at the bottom stating it was satire, as well as providing a constructive opinion within the disclaimer.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This isn't going to help Starmade retain its already pitiful playerbase (firm competition seems to be arising with Skywanderers but I don't know how exactly that will turn out), and I'm not sure the Systems and Universe updates will fix that if this is how Schine is going to handle communications via the Forums.

Reaction score
    The quoted posts arent fun if it's just annoying to read! Tell me where fucking fun was when they complained about the prototype beeing presented in an upcoming stream! Tell me where there is the fun when the same bloddy opinion gets repeated a third time! Tell me where there is the fun for the people when people come here and have to read through many shallow stuff to find one new information or opinion in ten comments to a post.

Tell me what you think is funny. Because fun is cool. What happend when the first power proposal came out was seriously no fun at all.

And this meme you just posted isn't funny either as it totally neglects these facts and tries to act like everything is cool in this forum. No for me it's not. I see that the community to a nice little game writes many bad conversations that scares away new players. If it was fun reading through the forum posts I recently have read I would not complain dude. But seriously. I had no fun.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It isn't fun if it's just annoying to read! Tell me where fucking fun was when they complained about the prototype beeing presented in an upcoming stream! Tell me where there is the fun when the same bloddy opinion gets repeated a third time! Tell me where there is the fun for the people when people come here and have to read through many shallow stuff to find one new information or opinion in ten comments to a post.

Tell me what you think is funny. Because fun is cool. What happend when the first power proposal came out was seriously no fun at all.

And this meme you just posted isn't funny either as it totally neglects these facts and tries to act like everything is cool in this forum. No for me it's not. I see that the community to a nice little game writes many bad conversations that scares away new players. If it was fun reading through the forum posts I recently have read I would not complain dude. But seriously. I had no fun.
    So people cant share their opinions? And now you're the one complaining like those you dont like, so much for trying to stop it.
    What I meant with the post was that with what you want we wont be able to say anything, there is this thing called freedom of speech if you've heard of it. sure it can be annoying but thats life.

The Judge

Kill me please
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It isn't fun if it's just annoying to read! Tell me where fucking fun was when they complained about the prototype beeing presented in an upcoming stream! Tell me where there is the fun when the same bloddy opinion gets repeated a third time! Tell me where there is the fun for the people when people come here and have to read through many shallow stuff to find one new information or opinion in ten comments to a post.

Uh, maybe some have different opinions than you, and they're representing them.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    To the reddit system: We are not that big of a forum, and I think this system isn't that cool. It only works with good moderation, and also some important opinions sometimes get lost as they just have no votes. I think the reddit system is great for very big communities. Still you loose the classic conversation style and I like the old style where comment B comes after A. Anyway: I think the reddit suggestion is a far stretch. Rewritting the forum software is way harder and maybe even unrealistic. But that the mods here do their job with a little different approach is a realistic suggestion and can be realised in a matter of weeks or days.
    Pretty sure they only referenced reddit because it's the largest and most well known forum with "dislikes" to show in a quick example of who the system "could" work.

But I think that repeated opinions should be moderated in this forum. Here is my answer:

I think it's pretty save to say, that any comment on a discussion is not important, if it doesn't add anything new to it. Or if it just reheats something that allready has been said, be it an opinion or their disagreement.
    So you're saying that people's opinion's on a topic should be removed because someone else has said them before? This is one of the most idiotic fucking idea i've ever seen suggest on a forum, Ever. EVERYONE has the ability to SUGGEST something, it DOESN'T MATTER if it's the same as something else. It's someone's opinion and no matter how much YOU dislike it, It Matters.

But honestly I would just delete the second half of your post after your reddit system suggestion, as it is very emotionally written and even contains memes.
    So now anything that contains a "meme" is now completely invalid, no matter if it helps the point in a manner.

What happend when the first power proposal came out was seriously no fun at all.
    People Voiced their VALID opinions on the matter. It seems your definition of fun is "Everyone is happy and kind and agrees with each other".

The quoted posts arent fun if it's just annoying to read!
    OH NO! READING LINES OF TEXT IS ANNOYING! EVERYTHING MUST BE IN SHORT SNAPPY SENTENCES!!!!!!!!

Seriously thou, Other people found them "funny". It's like how some people laugh at 9/11 joke's while other's don't. People have different Opinions on certain topics. Clearly this is one where you and other's disagree.

I doubt the forums are what are "scaring away" over people, sometimes passionately, voicing their opinion. In contrast this can be a good thing, as it shows that people shouldn't be afraid of voicing Their own opinions on the game.

Also,
    The quoted posts arent fun if it's just annoying to read! Tell me where fucking fun was when they complained about the prototype beeing presented in an upcoming stream! Tell me where there is the fun when the same bloddy opinion gets repeated a third time! Tell me where there is the fun for the people when people come here and have to read through many shallow stuff to find one new information or opinion in ten comments to a post.

This post personally reads like a 6yr old child complaining about how because something isn't fun it should be changed. It's not fun to read, man. Make it more ""FUN""

Incase you didn't notice, this shows just how different people's opinions are. Maybe this thread isn't fun to read for me. Maybe it is fun for others. People have differing opinions and this thread reads like "change it so it's better for me" and "prevent other's opinions".

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You made a thread about deleting unnecessary threads and posts.

I'll let you figure out the rest.

Edit: Example of a non constructive[/B] post. Would normally be removed on other threads.

Ironically.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    I now quote the messages from which I think that they add nothing usefull to the discussion:
    I now quote a message from which I think that it just states something that allready has been said 3 times:So you guys get an idea what I am talking about. I would not go so far to allready delete such comments here in our little talk, but I think to state an good example, when we had a heated topic with like 30 replies, this are the kind of messages that should get deleted. As example when we try to talk about the new power change.

And now tell me pls where someone gets censored if it gets handled like that. I am fully aware of Diremages point of censorship and I agree that a forum is for discussion like Jake Lancia said. But as a matter of fact I am on the side of Excelsiors statement, that some highly idealistic words get used like a cliché.

I just want to remind you again, that for the readability of more heated discussion, I would love to have some stronger moderation.

And I liked what Lecic said. :D

I've read what you stated Dr. Tardis. And I have to tell you that your question is a very suggestive one: Do I think I know whats important or not in a discussion? Well. I don't think I know everything in general. But I think that repeated opinions should be moderated in this forum. Here is my answer:

I think it's pretty save to say, that any comment on a discussion is not important, if it doesn't add anything new to it. Or if it just reheats something that allready has been said, be it an opinion or their disagreement.

And I think doing so will make some harder discussion on this forum way easier to read for other forum members, and maybe attract more people to Starmade in the long run.

But honestly I would just delete the second half of your post after your reddit system suggestion, as it is very emotionally written and even contains memes.

To the reddit system: We are not that big of a forum, and I think this system isn't that cool. It only works with good moderation, and also some important opinions sometimes get lost as they just have no votes. I think the reddit system is great for very big communities. Still you loose the classic conversation style and I like the old style where comment B comes after A. Anyway: I think the reddit suggestion is a far stretch. Rewritting the forum software is way harder and maybe even unrealistic. But that the mods here do their job with a little different approach is a realistic suggestion and can be realised in a matter of weeks or days.
    lol something that has been stated 3 times, which is what i said? You have to be joking if you think I am just now voicing my opinion. or anyone elses. The fact that you point what I said out is pity beyond belief, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion, tired of hearing it... well there is a pattern, seems your not seeing it.

Thingie

Professional Lurker
    Reaction score
    JinM
    Everyone reads things differently so what you may consider two post stating the same thing may be two similar post stating slightly different things or one is just more understandable for one person but the other works best for another person.
    This is why we don't delete repetitive posts.

Reaction score
    Let me quote again, what I would just blantly delete if we had a bigger topic about a more heated discussion, like it was recently with the power proposal:
    Pretty sure they only referenced reddit because it's the largest and most well known forum with "dislikes" to show in a quick example of who the system "could" work.

So you're saying that people's opinion's on a topic should be removed because someone else has said them before? This is one of the most idiotic fucking idea i've ever seen suggest on a forum, Ever. EVERYONE has the ability to SUGGEST something, it DOESN'T MATTER if it's the same as something else. It's someone's opinion and no matter how much YOU dislike it, It Matters.

So now anything that contains a "meme" is now completely invalid, no matter if it helps the point in a manner.

People Voiced their VALID opinions on the matter. It seems your definition of fun is "Everyone is happy and kind and agrees with each other".

OH NO! READING LINES OF TEXT IS ANNOYING! EVERYTHING MUST BE IN SHORT SNAPPY SENTENCES!!!!!!!!

Seriously thou, Other people found them "funny". It's like how some people laugh at 9/11 joke's while other's don't. People have different Opinions on certain topics. Clearly this is one where you and other's disagree.

I doubt the forums are what are "scaring away" over people, sometimes passionately, voicing their opinion. In contrast this can be a good thing, as it shows that people shouldn't be afraid of voicing Their own opinions on the game.

Also,
    This post personally reads like a 6yr old child complaining about how because something isn't fun it should be changed. It's not fun to read, man. Make it more ""FUN""

Incase you didn't notice, this shows just how different people's opinions are. Maybe this thread isn't fun to read for me. Maybe it is fun for others. People have differing opinions and this thread reads like "change it so it's better for me" and "prevent other's opinions".
    You made a thread about deleting unnecessary threads and posts.

I'll let you figure out the rest.
    In the owls post I would delete everything except the first paragraph. I think it's clear that it just scares away sane people to participate in the discussion, and its really not needed to talk like that. It would be so much cleaner and easier to read through discussions if such kind of talk would be moderated and people would be forced to act respectful and not write the first thing that comes to their mind.

In Zyrrs post I see no new opinion, it just bloats up the topic and scares people away, as it derails the spirit of the conversation. You know its totally fine to make funny remarks. But Nauvran allready gave some meme spice and adding more "fun" doesnt help the topic further.

You guys know I can take this "funny rating" stuff, but I think it's not that cool. TBH. I got like 15 funny ratings from this thread. I think a more sensitive person would get scared away from this bullshit. And thats my point: you scare away nice and sensitive people to participate in this forum! Thanks for thinking about that. There is a line between having a spicy conversation with one meme, and what happens here in this forum. Here people pass a line. And I just ask to have normal forum like the many other forums I have been to.

Last edited:

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The concept of censoring anything you don't like is an absolutely horrible idea, which affects us both here and in the real world. We CANNOT turn this place into yet another echo chamber where users can simply 'do away with' anybody that disagrees with them. Bad ideas deserve to be shot down, lest they gain traction.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    An opinion needs to be new or it gets deleted?

My post would scare people away from this redundant thread?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    {snip snip}

I've read what you stated Dr. Tardis. And I have to tell you that your question is a very suggestive one: Do I think I know whats important or not in a discussion? Well. I don't think I know everything in general. But I think that repeated opinions should be moderated in this forum. Here is my answer:
    so, by your own admission. THIS POST SHOULD BE MODERATED:
    The quoted posts arent fun if it's just annoying to read!
    because you are just repeating without adding new. This is why I said "does the shoe fit on the other foot"

If an argument cannot be applied equally to the one putting it forward, it is obviously a biased standard. You may want to re-evaluate that.

I suppose I can see how you would consider it "emotionally written" I am indeed a human subject to such. However I think you should re-read that second half and try to conciously filter out your own emotional bias. I think you may have been doing that thing most people do when they can't beat a boss-level in a video game, where you start speaking out the unskippable cut-scene dialog in an mocking and emotional way.
    I was quite serious that I found it disrespectful. "freedom stops where someone else begins" is very disrespectful in my view. Does my view of it being disrespectful mean it should get moderated? NO. Tough cookies for me, just because I don't like it doesn't mean they should lose the freedom to say it. It is a fallacious argument to begin with.
    It does contain memes, it also contains provisos on those memes. The humor of you complaining about me using multi-media expressions to underline and convey a point(just like Lecic did vs schine's "you must watch a livestream") is most assuredly not lost on me. Well done.

I think you took what I said the wrong way. I'll try to be more clear because I doubt you are the only one.

-SMD should reinstate "downvote" system (they replaced it with "funny" a "neutral rating") This "please don't traumatize the special snowflakes by telling them you do not like their opinion." system DOES NOT WORK. "funny" is now used in that way QUITE TRANSPARENTLY->"your post is a joke and you are a clown".
    -Users should have the option to "not view" posts that are "too funny" (Ie really bad ideas") allowing the public to "moderate" things EXACTLY THE WAY YOU SEEM TO WANT. If a post is "too funny" it would get hidden behind a spoiler tag. This allows people like you who "just want to read new ideas" to NOT CLICK THEM. it is Win-win.
    Example:

Tell me what you think is funny. Because fun is cool. What {happened} when the first power proposal came out was seriously no fun at all.

Wouldn't it be awesome if it was hidden from your view, like a downvoted reddit comment, but still there for the people that wanted to read it?

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Let me quote again, what I would just blantly delete if we had a bigger topic about a more heated discussion, like it was recently with the power proposal
    Well it's a good thing a power hungry censorship Nazi like you doesn't have mod powers then, huh?

We used to have a system like you're describing where mods would subjectively rule on and censor posts they did not personally like. It was terrible. We got rid of it for a reason.

Reaction score
    I'll some up this discussion with one question; "Why be purposely antagonistic when you can engage in a true discussion?"
    Nah, people need to show off and make witty remarks. ;)

Thanks for the support dude, I see that I am a little bit alone with my point of view on this matter. But if many people think something is right, doesn't make it neccessarily right anyway. xD It's not my fault after all, if other people make mistakes. I look out that I say the right stuff and act right, if others act or talk wrong...well I pointed it out once, and if everything stays the same it doesn't matter for me. My duty is done.

And one last time for everyone let me give you another example of what I would blantly delete if I were mod here (thanks god I am not xD) and wanted to make a statement about what kind of communication is off the road in the forum. I would not do so very often, but when I feel that the general forum communication is not good enough for a longer time I would delete some stuff as an example, so the people get back to normal and understand that a mature discussion culture is goal on this forum:
    This post, for obvious illogical reasoning. It's annoying to read for any sane person that understand just a little bit of logic. Let me explain it your you Debris: This post is not usefull, because it assumes I would like that anything I dont like should be censored. That is what you say in your first sentence. But I clearly asked for something else in my starting post and in the following explanations of mine in this thread!
    The concept of censoring anything you don't like is an absolutely horrible idea, which affects us both here and in the real world. We CANNOT turn this place into yet another echo chamber where users can simply 'do away with' anybody that disagrees with them. Bad ideas deserve to be shot down, lest they gain traction.
    This post, as it again is shallow thought out: I said, its totally fine to have the same opinion twice or three times. (But then the mods should start cleaning up - And they should clean up the bigger discussions by themself, not the reported posts only...)
    An opinion needs to be new or it gets deleted?

My post would scare people away from this redundant thread?
    I can't explain very well, why I would delete parts the following post: As a matter of fact, I think the first sentence is allready taking what I said out of context and trying to use it against me. Secondly it is written in caps, at the start and at the end. I would just delete the start and the end of the post and give a comment, that says "please no caps and please be reasonable in your argumentation. his posts did add something new and werent as offensively written as yours: first of all he added new examples in every post so the mods can understand better what he tries to suggest, secondly he replied to actual new opinions with actual new thoughts to the matter. He tried to draw a line between fun and derailing discussions, and that has not been done in the topic before. So you should think more carefull about the arguments you try to present here in this forum." I would delete the start and the end of the post and let the middle be as it is.
    so, by your own admission. THIS POST SHOULD BE MODERATED:

because you are just repeating without adding new. This is why I said "does the shoe fit on the other foot"

If an argument cannot be applied equally to the one putting it forward, it is obviously a biased standard. You may want to re-evaluate that.

I suppose I can see how you would consider it "emotionally written" I am indeed a human subject to such. However I think you should re-read that second half and try to conciously filter out your own emotional bias. I think you may have been doing that thing most people do when they can't beat a boss-level in a video game, where you start speaking out the unskippable cut-scene dialog in an mocking and emotional way.
    I was quite serious that I found it disrespectful. "freedom stops where someone else begins" is very disrespectful in my view. Does my view of it being disrespectful mean it should get moderated? NO. Tough cookies for me, just because I don't like it doesn't mean they should lose the freedom to say it. It is a fallacious argument to begin with.
    I does contain memes, it also contains provisos on those memes. The humor of you complaining about me using multi-media expressions to underline and convey a point(just like Lecic did vs schine's "you must watch a livestream") is most assuredly not lost on me. Well done.

I think you took what I said the wrong way. I'll try to be more clear because I doubt you are the only one.

-SMD should reinstate "downvote" system (they replaced it with "funny" a "neutral rating") This "please don't traumatise the special snowflakes by telling them you do not like their opion. system DOES NOT WORK. "funny" is now used in that way QUITE TRANSPARENTLY->"your post is a joke and you are a clown".
    -Users should have the option to "not view" posts that are "too funny" (Ie really bad ideas") allowing the public to "moderate" things EXACTLY THE WAY YOU SEEM TO WANT. If a post is "too funny" it would get hidden behind a spoiler tag. This allows people like you who "just want to read new ideas" to NOT CLICK THEM. it is Win-win.
    Example:

Wouldn't it be awesome if it was hidden from your view, like a downvoted reddit comment, but still three for the people that wanted to read it?
    I want to add lastly: Deleting posts or parts of it is a last resort. It's nothing that should be used on a daily basis. But it should be used more often in this forum, and I suggest to delete on just a percentage (like every fourth) of the posts that fall under my set of rules to find useless posts. Just to give people examples on how to talk here, and give them a neccessary guidance. So they don't think it's tolerated or mature to act like that. And so they know where the road is and that they are off limits. Then the community might regulate itself if you explain yourself well enough dear moderators. And the deleting will be just something that still happens only in rare cases instead of beeing some censorship like some guys fear it here.

But. If it all stays the same I would take myself one thread and delete the shit out of it and leave no useless comment out. So everyone gets this: the goal is a forum where people like to read through, instead of being overwhelmed like it is now. So the users in question get a clear message when the hints with the sporadic edits and warning points didn't help.

Last edited:

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score

Thanks for the support dude, I see that I am a little bit alone with my point of view on this matter. But if many people think something is right, doesn't make it neccessarily right anyway. xD It's not my fault after all, if other people make mistakes. I look out that I say the right stuff and act right, if others act or talk wrong...well I pointed it out once, and if everything stays the same it doesn't matter for me. My duty is done.
    Virtue signalling - Wikipedia Is not a good thing. It is HUBRIS

Edit: and to be clear, *I* am fairly certain *I* know why *you* "can't explain very well, why I would delete parts the following post:"
    Cognitive dissonance - Wikipedia
    On an instinctual level you realize that I am objectively more right than you are, but your upbringing has left you with deficits in your ability to deal with people more gifted than yourself in cognizance.

;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lecic

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    What's funny to me is that if we did actually delete posts deemed useless the majority would rule to delete your posts and those similar to those, not even because of their opinions but because of your own rules against redundant replies among other things.

Thankfully, we tend not to do that. The disinfecting sunshine that is an open forum for discussion deems what is useless and what isn't with ridicule and satire.

Reactions: Lecic

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4

And one last time for everyone let me give you another example of what I would blantly delete if I were mod here (thanks god I am not xD) and wanted to make a statement about what kind of communication is off the road in the forum. I would not do so very often, but when I feel that the general forum communication is not good enough for a longer time I would delete some stuff as an example, so the people get back to normal and understand that a mature discussion culture is goal on this forum:
    This post, for obvious illogical reasoning. It's annoying to read for any sane person that understand just a little bit of logic. Let me explain it your you Debris: This post is not usefull, because it assumes I would like that anything I dont like should be censored. That is what you say in your first sentence. But I clearly asked for something else in my starting post and in the following explanations of mine in this thread!

This post, as it again is shallow thought out: I said, its totally fine to have the same opinion twice or three times. (But then the mods should start cleaning up - And they should clean up the bigger discussions by themself, not the reported posts only...)

I can't explain very well, why I would delete parts the following post: As a matter of fact, I think the first sentence is allready taking what I said out of context and trying to use it against me. Secondly it is written in caps, at the start and at the end. I would just delete the start and the end of the post and give a comment, that says "please no caps and please be reasonable in your argumentation. his posts did add something new and werent as offensively written as yours: first of all he added new examples in every post so the mods can understand better what he tries to suggest, secondly he replied to actual new opinions with actual new thoughts to the matter. He tried to draw a line between fun and derailing discussions, and that has not been done in the topic before. So you should think more carefull about the arguments you try to present here in this forum." I would delete the start and the end of the post and let the middle be as it is.
    I want to add lastly: Deleting posts or parts of it is a last resort. It's nothing that should be used on a daily basis. But it should be used more often in this forum, and I suggest to delete on just a percentage (like every fourth) of the posts that fall under my set of rules to find useless posts. Just to give people examples on how to talk here, and give them a neccessary guidance. So they don't think it's tolerated or mature to act like that. And so they know where the road is and that they are off limits. Then the community might regulate itself if you explain yourself well enough dear moderators. And the deleting will be just something that still happens only in rare cases instead of beeing some censorship like some guys fear it here.
    Stated goals and implied goals are oftentimes not the same. Your posts, actions, and self-righteous behavior, intentionally or not, are asking for the creation of a system that allows for all divergent thought to be removed. This is not okay.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    The concept of censoring anything you don't like is an absolutely horrible idea, which affects us both here and in the real world. We CANNOT turn this place into yet another echo chamber where users can simply 'do away with' anybody that disagrees with them.
    Well, that's actually what's been happening lately. There have been an increasing number of threads where members with an opposing viewpoint choose not to discuss/debate the topic at hand but rather dismiss it outright and trash talk instead. Then the thread shifts from the original topic to trivial bickering and stays there until it either goes dead or gets locked just like the power update thread.
    Bad ideas deserve to be shot down, lest they gain traction.
    Isn't that censorship as well?

Most arguments on here are sparked out of some form of self-interest or personal opinion and "bad ideas" are often nothing more than ideas we disagree with. Antagonism is unwarranted in this situation and will never lead to a constructive discussion; it only leads to more antagonism.

With regard to divergent thought; I agree that it can be beneficial to the community and the game's progress but there's a constructive way to do it. Starting fights for the sake of it is not constructive.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: 0ldSkull
    Status
    Not open for further replies.