CLOSED* CONTEST: Default Stations Submission

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    So the trading guild arrived and established a city in this ancient station...
    This will be the dark and dirty prefabbed lower city where crime is rampant, because it adds to the drama. I could be lazy and mirror*8 the whole thing but then it would look weird...
    It also made me appreciate the scope of the whole thing O_O
    wonder what that small red dot could mean?

Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    As for docked ships, I don't know, it doesn't say anything about it in the rules. I'd think it wouldn't be too hard, but I don't know how the AI handles that sort of thing. Maybe Calbiri could answer that one.
    He already did. No docked ships allowed. I don't know how this applies to escape pods, though, because the concern seems to be noobs being bombed away because those ships are too strong or whatever.

Edit: In hindsight I'm glad about this, because it made me come up with a cool access tunnel system for my station.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations

Album: http://imgur.com/a/GMnck#0
    From the outside it is just a plain sand-covered pyramid currently.

What do ya think?
    So, is it an abandoned station? Give us details! I like the halo-esque expansiveness of the interior, but it needs another color besides yellow. Its quite jarring, and it might get worse with the lighting update coming soon.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ... which lightening update?

Which other color should I use?
    Only white would be brighter, but too much white would ruin the look&feel

I thought of brown, but I already have too many shadows.
    It should shine with light effects - that is the key of my interior detailwork

I could use brown which would match the door and hull colors both... or use sand inside as I already have used 20k sand blocks for the pyramid shape...
    Some Pharaoh was re-born as alien ;)

I want a natural look and haven't used any power or shields jet (though plenty of space for it) as I don't know how value-able I should make it.
    Currently only about 4* 20 block small doors + the hangar doors and the glass blocks mainly between pillars are valuable blocks.

The turret will look like a sun above the pyramid. when it turns upwards, you will look into a yellow mouth :)
    It will use non-lethal weapons (stop + ion + emp beams).

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    ... which lightening update?

Which other color should I use?
    Only white would be brighter, but too much white would ruin the look&feel

I thought of brown, but I already have too many shadows.
    It should shine with light effects - that is the key of my interior detailwork

I could use brown which would match the door and hull colors both... or use sand inside as I already have used 20k sand blocks for the pyramid shape...
    Some Pharaoh was re-born as alien ;)

I want a natural look and haven't used any power or shields jet (though plenty of space for it) as I don't know how value-able I should make it.
    Currently only about 4* 20 block small doors + the hangar doors and the glass blocks mainly between pillars are valuable blocks.

The turret will look like a sun above the pyramid. when it turns upwards, you will look into a yellow mouth :)
    It will use non-lethal weapons (stop + ion + emp beams).
    Well, you are going for a pyramid, and since you mentioned pharaohs, I think blue could be a good choice. Use it sparingly though, as outlines for things or patterns. Line work mostly. Its enough to contrast with the yellow without being its direct opposite, and it matches the whole pyramid thing I think. The current dev build has a new lighting update I believe, and it will make lights fill the room more. A bunch of red lights will no longer be white, they will be very red. If I am wrong, then please correct me.

Saw it on this vid

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When were they ever white? :)

If you mix white and red, do you get pink? or will white be too bright?
    Yellow/Green & red = orange?

personally I only want lights to be more ambient, less bright if you look directly into a single plex light.

Reaction score
    Do you see the ironies?

An inexperienced said his work looks boring, then another want to be helpful saying randomness is the key and than this picture!

I would say that not-pure-flat walls, colors or diversity are the key.

A station needs RP features - I just hope this (btw really good looking) station does not use too many expensive blocks? *evil looking*

Maybe more wedges in nice stations will even lead to better looking ships (+1 liked).

I like the "gyroscope"-rings, but I am not that happy with how sharp and small the inner part looks.

Also: pure red may look good on the outside, but even if pirates like red, they will for sure not see only red.
    (except they are infected by some brain-virus ;), or they are StarTrek:Klingons?)

I like the Y-hallway and that you two build in a few plants.

I think I like the uniqueness more than I dislike the sharp look.
    Thanks, trying to remove the "sharpness" look of it haha!

Edit: Sorry for double posting, trying to figure out how to quote ...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    if you added more black it would look like a bee hive you would be able to make so the abandon space pyramid look like it got over run by bees

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I will add a 20*10*20 metre bee with a thick poison sting :D

To exclusively attack you off-course :P
    I will call it bobby-bee queen ^^

Black is a choice, but I don't know if I should make something that looks bright and shiny from the outside black and dark inside.

Diversity is what looks well, but black does not adds so much of it. Sry for plex-doors being black btw, but should I just leave the hangar open?

Reaction score
    Here's what I've been making, try to ignore my reference points (white dots):

There's an Isanth-VI included for scale. I am going for something between the ISS and the current stations. I think the solar panels need some work.

(There's about 1.5km of "maintenance" tunnels in it, although maintenance is not necessary in starmade :p)

Edit: Are we allowed to dock Isanths to the neutral station?

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive

So I started on a trade guild station a few hours ago, and this is the result thus far. (Do note, nowhere near finished. It still needs a lot of docks and fuel tanks)

Black is a choice, but I don't know if I should make something that looks bright and shiny from the outside black and dark inside.
    Well, mechanical/industrial interiors are usually pretty dark and gloomy, while the exterior hull can be as shiny as hell.

It really depends on the purpose of the station how the interiors should feel. Abandoned stations should be pretty dark and gritty. Trading stations, on the other hand, should be well-lit. Pirate stations can be both, depending on how much they like cleaning and dusting off their lamps.

Examples of a dark-ish and a well lit interior (And shameless self-promotion);
    (I couldn't find a better one to express what I meant >.<)

Grates are also grate for decoration. (huehuehue)

Last edited:
    Reaction score

So I started on a trade guild station a few hours ago, and this is the result thus far. (Do note, nowhere near finished. It still needs a lot of docks and fuel tanks)

Well, mechanical/industrial interiors are usually pretty dark and gloomy, while the exterior hull can be as shiny as hell.

It really depends on the purpose of the station how the interiors should feel. Abandoned stations should be pretty dark and gritty. Trading stations, on the other hand, should be well-lit. Pirate stations can be both, depending on how much they like cleaning and dusting off their lamps.

Examples of a dark-ish and a well lit interior (And shameless self-promotion);
    (I couldn't find a better one to express what I meant >.<)

Grates are also grate for decoration. (huehuehue)
    That station really reminds me of the ships in kill zone :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    To the builders discouraged by all this awesomeness... DON'T BE DISCOURAGED!
    Absolutely EVERY builder builds, looks at what they have built, and declares it rubbish. We ALL build crap! Crap is the first step in all brilliant work. Look at your work and look for exactly what annoys you. The very fact that you see room for improvement means you have more talent than your work suggests. Is it too blocky? Is it too spread out? Is it too repetitive? Look at other peoples designs. Other builders have found their own solutions to these problems. Other builders have found neat tricks, techniques, and visual styles. Pull their work apart and see how it was done, then steal their techniques shamelessly, and apply them to your own work. In the process you will make mistakes... some of those mistakes will be even cooler than what you intended. Sometimes you will notice possibilities that nobody else has. In either case you will begin to develop your own style, distinct from what you have copied from others.

... Then you will begin to notice others copying from you! Because you aren't a newb. You are awesome.

Reaction score
    I am mainly discouraged by the narrow time frame. I'm at 490k blocks and not even close to completing the shell. :<

Status
    Not open for further replies.