CLOSED* CONTEST: Default Stations Submission

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Contest Closed
    We would like to thank all of the participants in this contest, the quality and quantity of entries that you have all submitted has been overwhelming and amazing.
    We will be compiling a list of station entries for each of the three categories, and we will then post 3 seperate polling threads, listing all of the stations you may vote for in the type. Duke is working on implementing a forum update that will allow multiple votes per poll, so in each thread you will be able to vote 5 times to pick your 5 favorite stations per thread.
    This process may take a bit of time, but I'll try to have the threads open to voting as soon as I am able to, then we will have a set period of time to vote in the polls, after which they will be locked and the tallies looked at, the 5 finalists per category will still need to be approved and minor changes may be requested of their builders.

DUKE EDIT: The contest ends on the 12th of August, as for an exact time, the latest Timezone possible until midnight. (There is a counter on the portal page and main forum)

**Edit**
    EXTENSION-
    Great news Everyone! I talked with Schema and we will be extending the contest by a week, not for lack of entries (amazing stuff so far) but because we feel this will give players time to complete and polish their entries, as well as give those who have yet to start a full two remaining weeks to build and enter their own submissions!

After the final extra week expires (4 weeks from the start date) we will compile all of the entries into a locked post (no comments their sorry) and you will be asked to look at the stations and vote.

I want to thank you all who have entered, suggested, helped, supported and generally contributed or even just appreciated the work folks have put into this contest, so far (last i checked) this thread has had 39,000 views, you're all amazing!
    **Edit**

Hello Builders!

We recently announced that we would hold a contest for players to submit new station designs, below are your basic guidelines to design by and for entering the contest, we look forward to seeing your amazing stations!

The best 5 stations from each category will be put into the new faction folders as default station spawns. Votes made on the StarMadeDock page for each station will help determine the best stations (so go vote.)

All entrants must upload via the StarMadeDock and then provide links to their uploaded station.
    You will have until 3 (Extended to 4) weeks from now to complete and submit your station. Upload the file and then provide a link in the comments below.

*Only stations submitted on this thread will be considered for entry, any other station submitters who do not wish their station to be entered need not worry.

Faction Specifics: declare which category your station is for: Trading Guild, Pirate, or Neutral, these may be stations meant to serve any number of functions.
    • Blue-ish for trading guild, (a prefabbed/factory built look with a civilians eye for aesthetics and prestige or class.)
      • Needs to include a spawn block.
      • Needs to include a faction block.
      • May include a shop block, but not all trade guild stations require one.
    • Red-ish for pirates, (a scrappy, amalgamated, dangerous look, they take what they find and piece together mean looking ships to intimidate.)
      • Needs to include a faction block.
    • Neutral should look abandoned. You may even damage it to look better.

General Guidelines
    • Max size: 600m x 600m x 600m; This includes the size of your docking zones (keep in mind that the station has to render relatively well on all hardware.)
    • Max turrets: 24
      • Turret may be included on all stations, AI aggression will be set accordingly, depending on faction and your actions.
    • Faction permission on docking zones are allowed (except for pirate stations.)
    • Only official in-shop available blocks may be used.
    • Try not to use many rare blocks (no secret pockets of valuable blocks build in.)
    • Do not use any ore blocks.
    • Simple logic only (area/step-on triggers for some traps, doors, gravity are welcome.)
    • No personal Signs/symbols of yourself, your faction, server or affiliations.
      • You are allowed to credit yourself in one display block:
      • Built By: “your name here”
    • All Names/Lore included on stations must be content neutral (no specific genre’s, characters or story elements.)
    • Stations may be upgraded by the creator (or us) later if needed.

All submissions are subject to be disqualified or changed at any time (original credit will always be given.)
    Multiple entries per builder are allowed as are group builds, please do not submit the work of others however, no matter how cool you think it is.
    Do not copy other builds. Builds that are too similar to other submissions will be disqualified.
    Any attempt to manipulate votes by creating accounts etc will lead to disqualification.

**Edit**
    I've edited the rules slightly to be more clear, but things like the words on a signs are easy to change if they are an issue (so don't stress overly much about them.)
    • All Names/Lore included on stations must be content neutral (no specific genre’s, characters or story elements.)
    Generally this has two functions,
    1. We cant allow copyrighted material (obvious legal reasons)
    2. We dont want other non-copyrighted yet specific content that may cause conflicts with current or planned game elements (for all we know the trade guild is evil)
    This 2nd rule is more lax than the copyright issue, but we'd like to keep some freedom to change the "plot elements" without having to explain why "Station-X" doesn't fit in with the rest of StarMade's evolving universe of content and story/plot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    A few clarifications;
    • You may include systems on your stations, they need not be godlike however, so don't make them min-max cubes please.
    • Interiors are certainly preferable to a hollow shell... To the point that I think most interiors would win over even the shiniest hollow shell
    • Try not to use many ingots/crystals, these are going to be part of the new crafting system and are the equivilant of gold plating your station
    • Each Category can fulfill various functions, Trade Guild stations can be research bases, fuel depots, civilian bases, etc. same for the other factions, pirates and the abandoned stations, they can all be designed to serve any role.
    • We left the guidelines (numbers) less specific because we would prefer to see what you can do, rather than force you to make a specific thing, if too many shields (other systems) are added, we can always ask you to take some out if your station is selected, so just try to be reasonable. Try to think of it as a faction who must spend these actual blocks to make the stations, you wouldn't make it purely of shield blocks. (Stations may not always be godmoded as shops currently are)
    • Treasure chests, if included, are something that must be handled on our end (you cannot save their contents) so just dont worry about adding them.

**Edit**

Thanks for playing,
    Calbiri

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Can't wait to see some entries, I may not participate myself as it usually takes me longer than 3 weeks to build anything...

Edit: Speaking as somebody who has played Starmade with poor hardware 600x600x600 may be a little much

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm no good with stations myself, but I can't wait to see what other people come up with, it'll be a wonderful change from the old default stations.

Reaction score
    • No personal Signs/symbols of yourself, your faction, server or affiliations.
      • You are allowed to credit yourself in one display block:
      • Built By: “your name here”

I'd like to know if there is any special insignia that can be attributed to the Trade Guild. I would like to have something decorating the blank spaces since no symbols of faction, affiliation, or self are permitted. And if there isn't one, WHY THE HELL NOT?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    These seems like the perfect competition to get back in the saddle with. Got a design for a great pirate base in my head, ready to build.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    *slowly raises hand*

Is it allowed to have hardened hull everywhere? :eek:
    Orphaniel thought ours would be rejected if we used hardened hull too much...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    No ore... Does that mean no crystals or ingots? Or just no ore?

Reaction score
    Can't wait to see what people upload, bit worried about the 'built by' thing but otherwise cool. Ithirahad I think he means no ore kind of loot of any kind at all. He said no *rare* blocks and no hidden loot.

Hope there is some cool logic gate traps in some of them! Will some of the Pirate station be modded to have procedural purple 'testicles' like the current stations? I loved building in them and I loved how the tentacles wrapped around the building giving an 'alien' look.

Reaction score
    Ah, okay. (Also, hue hue... testicles... I assume you meant tentacles? :p )
    Oh shit I did not know I posted that...awkward...damn autocorrect. There is something about imagining building in a big giant....and having to defend it that makes me laugh. I need to grow up. Procedural Testicles...

Devs take notice! Me and Ithi have devised a game changing addition here! Could knock us into the big time!

Reactions: I_is_Tinsy
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This may seem silly, but how do I upload a station? Sector-import?

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    No ore... Does that mean no crystals or ingots? Or just no ore?
    No depreciated (old) ore blocks. Crystals and valuable blocks can be used, but with care. We didn't want stations to be a treasure chest of loot.

So does that mean no blinking docking lights, light switches, etc.? You didn't list them in your examples... :(
    That would count as simple logic. :)

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This may seem silly, but how do I upload a station? Sector-import?
    Try the /save command. That should save the station as a blueprint inside of the (regular) blueprint folder. Then open the catalog and look for the station. If it isn´t listed you have done everything alright: The ingame catalog only shows real ships. Now, in the connection setup window, go to "Tools" and then click on "Open Ship Catalog Manager". Now you see all the blueprints of your folder. You should see your station. Select it and click on export. That saves your station as a .sment file. Now go to blueprints folder and you should see a folder called "exported". There you find "YourStationNameHere.sment". This is the file to upload.
    If you want to import a station: Many stations you find under "community content" are exportet sectors (.smsec) or simply ships. As you may know you can import (under the Catalog Manager) .sment files so you have a blueprint of the object in your blueprint folder. You should take a look for the importet object in the ingame catalog. As said above: A ship get listed there and a station doesn't. If the importet object is listet in the Catalog Manager after you importet it but not in the ship catalog you can go to your blueprint folder and copy (and/or delete) the blueprint folder of "ImportetStationNameHere" and paste it into the "blueprint-stations>pirate/trading-guild/neutral" folder. Now it should spawn as a station and replace the regular one.
    As example of what a real station is:
    The HSS Lillypad is a ship. Therefor if you put the blueprint of it into a blueprint-stations folder it´ll have the name "Station" but it is a ship.
    But the Research Station S is a real stations which spawns as such if you put it in your blueprint-stations folder.

Exportet sectors also work but only if the sector was importet at first and the station then saved as a blueprint.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Do "hanging lights (yellow)" count as rare blocks? I don't see them in the naturally spawned universe often.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    But when me and Tarusol save our station that we built all the docks are not saved with it :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.