CLOSED* CONTEST: Default Stations Submission

Status
    Not open for further replies.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    ... Or for stations to be moneybombs just because of sheer size. Hardened hull or not would not make a difference if it's 200k blocks or larger anyways ...
    eh, "moneybomb" will by it's nature flood the economy and stabilize. Prime example is regular grey and regular black hull right now.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    eh, "moneybomb" will by it's nature flood the economy and stabilize. Prime example is regular grey and regular black hull right now.
    Not if there are 15 stations, all with their own different stuff. It would make everything worthless, because there is so much of it.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Not if there are 15 stations, all with their own different stuff. It would make everything worthless, because there is so much of it.
    I think will be a function seed settings on the server. ;)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ... Or for stations to be moneybombs just because of sheer size. Hardened hull or not would not make a difference if it's 200k blocks or larger anyways ...
    Maybe not quite money bombs, since eventually it becomes annoying to fly around selling all of that hull, but they could certainly lower the value of certain materials dramatically. Perhaps stations need a system like planets are supposed to eventually get, where a person or faction has to keep an station for a certain amount of time before they can edit it.

...And the ability to vary station spawn frequency would be great, too.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Sneak peak at my station. So far I have recreated my little model but I still plan to add a hanger or two and a defense network(the best part).

crystal wedges would really be nice though...
    You should also build with the default texture packs and flip-flop between them, that custom hull pack might end up making it look one way to YOU while making a completely different effect for vanilla players (and this is a vanilla contest, right?)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You should also build with the default texture packs and flip-flop between them, that custom hull pack might end up making it look one way to YOU while making a completely different effect for vanilla players (and this is a vanilla contest, right?)
    Aw good point. Thanks for pointing that out and ill most likely use the default once the new realistic pack is done.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I'm getting a really minmatar-y feel from that. Really nice work. :D
    On another note,
    I'm using minmatar as inspiration. I instantly thought of them when i started the pirate station. Also, your station is gorgeous.

Um, some of these seem a bit big... They might cause some annoying FPS drops on lower-end computers. The last thing we want is for people to start avoiding stations in the same way that most people seem to avoid planets.

...Also, ArgoContar ... I really, really, really like that thing. Give it an interior and a hangar bay and it will be the awesomest station ever built...
    I figure the devs set a size limit hoping that most players could manage it.

Can you even salvage a trade guild station? I was under the impression that you couldn't even damage it. Not only that but pirate stations are much more rare than trade guild stations. Perhaps there can be traps set that detonate the place. Nothing to salvage then.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: WarmasterRaptor
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm using minmatar as inspiration. I instantly thought of them when i started the pirate station. Also, your station is gorgeous.

I figure the devs set a size limit hoping that most players could manage it.

Can you even salvage a trade guild station? I was under the impression that you couldn't even damage it. Not only that but pirate stations are much more rare than trade guild stations. Perhaps there can be traps set that detonate the place. Nothing to salvage then.
    I'm not saying ONLY trade stations... Most likely, many people will build big, because they think bigger is better.
    Neutral stations are pretty plentiful too, and I have seen some pretty big neutral stations in this thread.

I don't exactly like big, performance-hungry things. Only very rarely I build such behemoths, but only for the sheer amount of detail I can put in.

Maybe not quite money bombs, since eventually it becomes annoying to fly around selling all of that hull, but they could certainly lower the value of certain materials dramatically. Perhaps stations need a system like planets are supposed to eventually get, where a person or faction has to keep an station for a certain amount of time before they can edit it.

...And the ability to vary station spawn frequency would be great, too.
    ... You don't have to sell the hull.
    Many people will just keep it, and use the excessive amounts of filler-up materials in such stations (shields, power) to build stupidly massive doomcubes.

Humans are naturally people who suck all useful resources out of something, and then move on to the next. Just as bad as a group of locusts. And I expect most of the not-very-sensible starmade players to act the exact same way.

... But yes, to prevent that, such a system would be nice.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have noted the lack of pirate base submissions? I've also seen few making multiple submissions as well. I guess maybe it has just been starting, but I kinda see less, and less positive minded people commenting.

I would have tried to myself, but all the hypocritical and unnecessary bad attitudes about my one neat spin on a creative concept, kinda spoiled the fun for me. take that how you please and down vote all the hell you want! you still took the fun out what should have been a great idea.

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I have noted the lack of pirate base submissions? I've also seen few making multiple submissions as well. I guess maybe just starting, but I kinda see less, and less positive minded people commenting.

I would have tried to myself, but all the hypocritical and unnecessary bad attitudes about my one neat spin on a creative concept, kinda spoiled the fun for me. take that how you please and down vote all the hell you want! you still took the fun out what should have been a great idea.
    What do you mean hypocritical? All I see is criticism. That's not a bad thing. It's how we improve.

I'm not saying ONLY trade stations... Most likely, many people will build big, because they think bigger is better.
    Neutral stations are pretty plentiful too, and I have seen some pretty big neutral stations in this thread.

I don't exactly like big, performance-hungry things. Only very rarely I build such behemoths, but only for the sheer amount of detail I can put in.

... You don't have to sell the hull.
    Many people will just keep it, and use the excessive amounts of filler-up materials in such stations (shields, power) to build stupidly massive doomcubes.

Humans are naturally people who suck all useful resources out of something, and then move on to the next. Just as bad as a group of locusts. And I expect most of the not-very-sensible starmade players to act the exact same way.

... But yes, to prevent that, such a system would be nice.
    Idk, personally I would like a station that I can actually fly into and dock inside of. Currently you can only do that on the neutral station and it's quite lacking. I think that's why they gave us that size limit. Also, whats with all the talk of lag based on the size of things. The only time I experience lag is when the game loads up. After that the game only loads in what I set as the max setting. Surely if one is getting lag because of a lot of stuff, they should lower that value. I have mine set to 2500. I'm positive with half that, a player could still render the entirety of the stations I'm working on.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I have noted the lack of pirate base submissions? I've also seen few making multiple submissions as well. I guess maybe it has just been starting, but I kinda see less, and less positive minded people commenting.

Your comment about our comments being supposedly negative is negative. Wouldn't that turn your entire argument against you?

What do you mean hypocritical? All I see is criticism. That's not a bad thing. It's how we improve.

Idk, personally I would like a station that I can actually fly into and dock inside of. Currently you can only do that on the neutral station and it's quite lacking. I think that's why they gave us that size limit. Also, whats with all the talk of lag based on the size of things. The only time I experience lag is when the game loads up. After that the game only loads in what I set as the max setting. Surely if one is getting lag because of a lot of stuff, they should lower that value. I have mine set to 2500. I'm positive with half that, a player could still render the entirety of the stations I'm working on.
    - There are some people who like to see stuff coming from afar.

(btw, frame drop comes from the amount of blocks in view, so if you are looking at a big station from up close, it will drop your frames like a hot stew regardless.)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Well the crystal alien thingy will continue to be a private station but i started making this one for the Trading Guild:

It will be more like a huge trading ship than a station, but that's what the Trading Guild is. They need to move around to trade with more people (or aliens).
    Bonus: My newest ship. http://imgur.com/a/SypOp

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    So why exactly did you feel the need to copy my station?

To quote the first post: "Do not copy other builds. Builds that are too similar to other submissions will be disqualified."

Not cool.
    Buddy, I hate to rain on your parade but that's honestly like the most generic station design ever. The difference in this situation is the execution, in which case yours is better. Don't get your panties in a wad because someone else built a starbase.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Buddy, I hate to rain on your parade but that's honestly like the most generic station design ever. The difference in this situation is the execution, in which case yours is better. Don't get your panties in a wad because someone else built a starbase.
    They are the exact. same. station.

Just take a closer look.

It's not about design, or execution. It's about the fact, that block by block, those stations are the same.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But you can only sell 10k blocks per type and only as much as a shop has.

Neutral+Pirate stations will have a huge influence on how ships will be coloured (currently grey is the cheapest hull color to get en mass), except we make it easier to change the color or shape (2 wedges = 1 block and vice versa?)

Personally, I would like more glass on civilian stations. Especially in civilian areas.

If you don't want money-bombs, ask devs to write a program for replacing hull blocks with rock+ice :D

Well the crystal alien thingy will continue to be a private station but i started making this one for the Trading Guild:

It will be more like a huge trading ship than a station, but that's what the Trading Guild is. They need to move around to trade with more people (or aliens).
    Bonus: My newest ship. http://imgur.com/a/SypOp
    I like how you did docks and the main hangar door, but that is all

A station should not have wings or obstruct dock spots so that nobody can easily dock there, but I will not give bad comments as long as it is a WIP

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Cant decide between exterior or interior docks for a pirate station. What do you guys think would suit it better?

Reaction score
    I said it before and i'll say it again: This station will look like a ship and ships can have wings, also there will be some small docks on the inside only and bigger ones on the outside.

Reactions: CyberTao

OFW-Osirus

Owner of Orion Fleetworks
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Wow, some peoples children! lol. why copy someones station and submit it into a contest. Thats too funny. On a side note, love your stations Dalmont and Skylord Luke! Good Work. Comr4de, really?!? funny how a station is shown in a live sream then later the same station is submitted, same color placement, little less detail. same general idea two different people. o_O

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Wow, some peoples children! lol. why copy someones station and submit it into a contest. Thats too funny. On a side note, love your stations Dalmont and Skylord Luke! Good Work. Comr4de, really?!? funny how a station is shown in a live sream then later the same station is submitted, same color placement, little less detail. same general idea two different people. o_O
    I built the exact same station two months ago on NASS hardcore. Does that mean that they stole my idea?

NO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.