• Frigate?

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hey guys!

I'm just about finished with this ship I'm making. I had to start over because the server with all my stuff was shut down. I decided to start again.

Anyway, my second ship after starting:

I just want to ask what you all think this ship should be classified as. I intended it to be a "Corvette" during the planning, but I'm wondering if it became more of a Destroyer.

Some specs on the ship:

Length: 143m
    Width: 25m
    Height: 30m

Mass: ~3,095

Armed with 5 small missile turrets, 7 small cannon turrets, and 4 anti-missile turrets.

So, Corvette or Destroyer? Maybe even a frigate? What criteria do you use?
    Let me know what you think! And if you like it!

Thanks!

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Pretty nice. It's a lot bigger than what I would call a corvette or a frigate, so I say destroyer.

D

Deleted member 433088

Maybe things changed while I was away but... hasn't ship classification always been kind of a royal mess? Did we get an "official" size chart, or agree upon one, for ship classes? If not, should I follow this thread and get some popcorn?

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    According to Bench's old classification, this should be a cruiser.
    According to some people on the dock, this could be a small drone.

Honestly, it's up to you :p

Reaction score
    A role-based self-designated classification system is basically the best to hope for. Everybody calls ships of different sizes different things. Really, make it and call it what you want.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm going to echo what everyone else said - there's no official or agreed-upon ship classification system in Starmade, so just call it what feels best. That being said, I'm myself quite fond of Panpiper's ship classification system:

I've been obsessive about science fiction, space ship construction systems, since the days of first edition Traveler's High Guard (a good thirty five years ago). I've also extensively read up on military history and the strategy of war for most of the last forty years as well as playing countless wargames, many of which had rule books inches thick and whose paper hex maps covered ping pong tables. I've now played Starmade enough I think to have a very good grasp of the size of ships people build and fly, and the progression of those ships.

I've also noticed a great deal of ambiguity in people's references to ship classifications. This is understandable, given that (for among other reasons) there is in fact today in our modern navies, a regrettable level of similar ambiguity, with cruiser sized ships being called frigates for reasons solely to do with political funding. As much for my own sake, I've decided to write down how I personally classify ships in Starmade. If others find this classification listing useful, all the better.

Snub Fighter - Runabout 0-100 Mass
    Generally ships in this range are useless in a fight and might as well be left unarmed.

Light Fighter/Fighter/Heavy Fighter 100-1K Mass
    Most pirates fall into this range. Light fighters on the low end of this scale are typically expendable harassers meant to do little more than distract turrets for a short period of time. On the heavier side, we find ships that can start to be a threat in numbers to larger ships.

Corvette 1K-2K Mass
    At this scale we find ships able to stand up to and dispatch a typical pirate attack. This would be the standard ship for picket (sensor) duty. A pirate at this scale would probably be the flagship for their operation. Point defense turrets start to become standard.

Frigate 2K-5K Mass
    The ship of choice to bring the fight to pirates. This ship can reliably engage such threats without risk of damage. At this scale we start to see small offensive turrets.

Destroyer 5K-10K Mass
    A military work horse, can carry weapons that can be a threat in major fleet engagements, though it's life expectancy should it be targeted in such engagements is very short. Ships of this class can be used to bring down typical pirate stations.

Light Cruiser/Cruiser/Heavy Cruiser 10K-50K Mass
    These tend to be the ships of choice for most players to actually fly about. Ships smaller than this are simply too easy to destroy and ships much larger tend to present issues with extremely sluggish turning, excessive power requirements, slow jump recycling and low thrust to mass ratios. Turrets start to be major portions of the ship's offensive capacity.

Battlecruiser 50K-100K Mass
    This is the tweak class, the weight that most ship builders can obsess over forever. Well built ships at this scale can have the handling characteristics of the lighter cruisers while still having significantly better defense and firepower. The downside is that the material cost of them can be too high to casually risk.

Battleship 100K-500k Mass
    This is the ship people start to build to be the big stick for their faction. Huge resources are expended to create a ship that for the most part, simply stays docked. It's movement characteristics are such that it is no fun to fly, and is brought out only if there is a major fleet engagement to fight. However even this ship is potentially outclassed and players may at some point cannibalize it for the building of something even bigger.

Titan 500K Mass+
    This is the true war fighting pinnacle. It represents the ultimate offensive and defensive capacity of a faction. Most factions will have only one Titan, if they have any at all. There is no upper limit to a Titan's potential mass. The real limit is the fact that deploying a titan in battle (depending to a degree upon how it was built) could well crash some servers.

Three putative ship classifications are notably not in this list, that of Dreadnought, Capital Ship and Carrier.

Dreadnoughts are simply battleships. The term was used originally for a ship class the British came up with which obsoleted the battleships of their day. New battleships were promptly designed and built which obsoleted the dreadnoughts. A player building a battleship in the weight category above could legitimately call their ship a dreadnought instead, if they felt their ship was of a design that would force other similarly sized ships to be redesigned.

Capital Ships are not a ship class per say. A capital ship is a ship the owner cannot afford to lose. As such the term is completely subjective. A starting player's small miner may be their only resource and as such, for them at least, their 'capital ship'.

Carrier is also not a ship class, but rather a type of ship. It is perfectly possible for a cruiser sized ship to be a carrier, just as much as a titan could be a carrier.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I just wanted to get some opinions, that's all. I think I'm gonna go with Corvette.

The Corellian Corvette from Star Wars was about 125m I think, so being only slightly bigger, I'm inclined to put it into that class.

I just don't know how effective it would be against some of the fighters people here make, haha!

Also, I think I like Panpiper's classification as well!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Just gonna point out that Star Wars works on a scale that is far too big for SM. You simply cannot use Star Dreadnaughts in SM. It is basically physically impossible.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just gonna point out that Star Wars works on a scale that is far too big for SM. You simply cannot use Star Dreadnaughts in SM. It is basically physically impossible.
    Yea, peoples titans in starmade are usually on the small end of standard ships in star wars. I don't even want to think about what would happen if someone tried to make a death star....

Reaction score
    You can't. The Death Star clocked in at 100000 KILOMETERS across. The Super Star Destroyer, at just (JUST!) 8 km is too large for SM, regardless of your computer.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    At least no one tries to use warhammer 40k for scale. They would melt their computers trying to make a frigate...

Reaction score
    A frigate probably, a bit too big to be a corvette and not really heavily armed enough to be a destroyer.

Reaction score
    Corvette, its a tiny ship on my servers scale.

My destroyer is 1million blocks

Reaction score
    If this is a frigate then what would someone classify ships between 20k and 200k mass?

They can't all be titans.

Reaction score
    I would call that ship a Corvette

My personal classification systems is as follows

Fighter/Bomber/Shuttle/Gunship/Small Craft Up to 5k Mass based on role

Corvettes 5-8K Mass

Frigates 8K to 15K Mass

Destroyers 15K to 25K Mass

Cruisers 25K up to 70K mass, being designated light or heavy depends on if speed or firepower and survivability are emphasized

Battlecruiser 70K to 100K, Emphasis on Speed and Firepower over Survivability

Battleship 70k to 100k, Balanced between all 3 "stats" so to speak

Dreadnought 70k to 120k, Emphasis on Tanking

Super Dreadnought 120K+, Not sure how I would build this, Emphasis probably on Survivability followed by Firepower, and I would need to work up to anything this big slowly and see how my computer handles it.

Titan, to me, is a nebulous term for me that means bigger then anything I'm likely to build. The firepower sounds cool, but they do not sound all that fun to pilot, or build. If a ship is just going to spend all it's time docked and might be too big too actually fight with, that ship is pretty useless in my book ;p

And yes, I'm a huge David Weber fan, and my system is a hybrid of how he classified his ships and how ships were classified in WW2.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There really isn't enough information in the OP to properly classify the ship. We don't even have the thrust/mass ratio or a rough block count of even one of the weapon systems. We don't know if there is a scanner, or if there is even a jump drive. It's just a fun little dart game. (Throw a dart at a classification. See if it sticks!) :D

Reaction score
    Based only on what is given and the over all pic, I would go with Corvette (Light/Medium)
    Based on the weapons/turrets disclosed. I would go with Corvette (Light), as it looks like it could handle fighters and bombers with little trouble, but would struggle with another ship of equal size. (Dimensions).

What roll is this ship supposed to fill?, as that will help with classifying it.

Ultimately, given as there is no agreed upon ship class system as of yet. What you see it as is what it is.