CIR - Term 2 Councilors Announced

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Well, that's an... incredibly small amount of stats. I was hoping for something beyond "this many people voted for this person," you know? Average account age, post count, if the person's bought the game or not, how many people actually voted, etc?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1461183784,1461182438][/DOUBLEPOST]

Can I get an explanation for that? If this is from some sort of step function bullshit, perhaps you shouldn't be using that, or should be giving us the full numbers alongside it?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    How the hell are you supposed to get those if the application was not desgined to collect that data in the first place? I mean you could spend time to go back and write that down, but i would rather think they would prefer to work on the game than do that.

Besides I dont think those are really relevant, this is just a council for reading the suggestion forums for a video game.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    How the hell are you supposed to get those if the application was not desgined to collect that data in the first place? I mean you could spend time to go back and write that down, but i would rather think they would prefer to work on the game than do that.

Besides I dont think those are really relevant, this is just a council for reading the suggestion forums for a video game.
    The web devs don't do work on the game. Their whole job is to do things like "make a web tool to view results to give people the actual election numbers."

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The web devs don't do work on the game. Their whole job is to do things like "make a web tool to view results to give people the actual election numbers."
    Actually they do work on the game, and the launcher. Having the official title of web developer does not exclude them from game development.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Can I get an explanation for that?
    It's pretty simple really.
    At this particular iteration FlyingDebris was eliminated.
    All the votes that were allocated to FlyingDebris were then redistributed to the next choice of the individual voters.
    If the next choice has already been eliminated, it went to the next-next choice, and so on
    Additionally, Megacrafter's excess votes were also redistributed.​
    For this particular iteration HolyCookie was not anyone's choice, so he didn't get any votes.

What I find interesting is that almost everyone who voted for HolyCookie voted for him as their first pick. He only recieved additional votes when MrFURB was eliminated in the 29th round. MrFURB's votes were distributed to everyone except FlyingDebris, who was eliminated in the next round.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Can I get an explanation for that? If this is from some sort of step function bullshit, perhaps you shouldn't be using that, or should be giving us the full numbers alongside it?
    A Google Sheet version will be supplied soon, for those who wish to see the actual numbers.
    Ties are broken by using "forwards tie-breaking". The candidate who has the most votes at the earliest stage where they have an unequal amount of votes wins. (The person with the higher concentration of top preference votes, wins)

Reactions: alterintel

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ties are broken by using "forwards tie-breaking". The candidate who has the most votes at the earliest stage where they have an unequal amount of votes wins. (The person with the higher concentration of top preference votes, wins)
    Doesn't that kind of completely remove the point of the voting system we use, where people can choose a candidate who is less likely to win as their first pick because they know their votes still count towards the other people they've chosen? I mean, seriously, if my vote isn't counted as equal for the tie breaker, why do we even use this system? Why aren't we just doing a flat one vote, no transfers, if the transfers are worthless when it really comes down to it?

Also, Sven has fewer votes at the start than FlyingDebris, so... how exactly does that work out?

Actually they do work on the game, and the launcher. Having the official title of web developer does not exclude them from game development.
    I wouldn't really consider the launcher the game. That's like calling the box art for a waffle iron a waffle iron. I wasn't aware that the web devs also fix bugs and add features, though.

It's pretty simple really.
    At this particular iteration FlyingDebris was eliminated.
    All the votes that were allocated to FlyingDebris were then redistributed to the next choice of the individual voters.
    If the next choice has already been eliminated, it went to the next-next choice, and so on
    Additionally, Megacrafter's excess votes were also redistributed.​
    For this particular iteration HolyCookie was not anyone's choice, so he didn't get any votes.

What I find interesting is that almost everyone who voted for HolyCookie voted for him as their first pick. He only recieved additional votes when MrFURB was eliminated in the 29th round. MrFURB's votes were distributed to everyone except FlyingDebris, who was eliminated in the next round.
    I know how the vote transferring system works, genius. I was asking why he was eliminated, not why his votes were reallocated after he was eliminated.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This sounds extremely fair. however: The major point of contention is the belief that HolyCookie received allot of votes from brand new or alt accounts. If this was the case, than the only reason he would have won out over FlyingDebries is because all of his original votes may have been suspect anyways.

On a side note: I think HolyCookie is doing a fine job as Councilor. And even though I didn't vote for him the last time, I will vote for him in the upcoming elections. He has been one of the more active Councilors.

In closing: please show the average age of each account that voted and who they voted for.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Also, Sven has fewer votes at the start than FlyingDebris, so... how exactly does that work out?
    I don't know why you are asking this if in the same post you also said "I know how the vote transferring system works"

The three people to be eliminated before Flying Debris had a large number of votes go to me and either none or not enough to register on the chart go to Debris. In the end I had almost twice the number of transferred votes as Debris and must have been ahead as they were next to be eliminated.

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Doesn't that kind of completely remove the point of the voting system we use, where people can choose a candidate who is less likely to win as their first pick because they know their votes still count towards the other people they've chosen? I mean, seriously, if my vote isn't counted as equal for the tie breaker, why do we even use this system? Why aren't we just doing a flat one vote, no transfers, if the transfers are worthless when it really comes down to it?
    It doesn't remove the whole point. First preference votes are only used to decide a winner in the event of a tie breaker. STV is a voting system designed to achieve proportional representation. Someone who has greater first preference votes is more likely to be a candidate that represents a different subsection of the community. Someone who has achieved the same number of votes through second, third, fourth and so on preferences has probably already had their section represented proportionally by others. Choosing the person with higher preference votes increases the chance that the winners proportionally represent the voters. This only ever happens in a tie-breaker, and is a more than fair way to break the tie. Ties are uncommon and this method is more than suitable for achieving proportional representation.

The transfers are hardly useless. Switching the entire system to a non-proportional system just because ties (which are an uncommon occurrence) are broken by higher preference votes, does not mean the entire system is pointless. It's simple statistics, I think you know this already.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    (The person with the higher concentration of top preference votes, wins)
    So were Debris and Sven NOT tied, then? Still waiting on that Google Sheet. Because Debris appears to have a higher concentration of top preference votes.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I imagine that the next round of CIR voting shall be coming at the 28th, since at that time it'll have been 4 months? Or will it last a year again. :p

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No, they were not tied.
    It've'd be nice if the actual stats had been released alongside the fancy-but-deceitful graph then, huh? Or if the graph didn't use some sort of step function.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    It've'd be nice if the actual stats had been released alongside the fancy-but-deceitful graph then, huh? Or if the graph didn't use some sort of step function.
    I'm sure the majority would agree that they'd prefer some form of stats display over nothing at all. The visual graph was ready first, seeing as it was ready, there's not much point in delaying its release.