Suggestion Require Purchasing The Game To Vote

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'll put things out here in simple terms. It is easy to make fake accounts that do not match your IP. It would be incredibly easy to cheat the election through alt accounts in a community as small as ours.

I am suggesting that those who wish to have a say in electing those who help decide the future of the game should have at least purchased the game first. If someone wants to rig the election through fake votes this way, at least they're giving Schine lots of money.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    this way, at least they're giving Schine lots of money.
    At that rate Schine should encourage alt accounts voting, they could get rich off all those election-riggers!

But honestly, requiring purchasing of the game wouldn't really be a bad idea. If anyone did buy the game multiple times to rig the election it would be a pretty rare occurrence.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think this is an excellent Idea for two reasons:

1) If you want to vote and have some kind of say in the future of this game. What better way to support it's development than to purchase a copy of the game.

2) If you have a really strong opinion about who should be elected... and you want to vote more than once. What better way to do that than by showing even more support for the games development by purchasing even more copies.

Last point: I also move that in order to be eligible to run for councilor and to adequately represent the needs of this community, you should prove your devotion to the game by purchasing a copy as well.

so... also require people running for councilor to buy the game as well.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    This should have further community input before any decision is made.

I'll put things out here in simple terms. It is easy to make fake accounts that do not match your IP. It would be incredibly easy to cheat the election through alt accounts in a community as small as ours.
    I'd like to make it known that there are ways to decrease the chance of this happening, without restricting the vote to purchased users.
    • Blocking TOR users from voting (TOR provides a list that can be used to do this)
    • Blocking known proxy servers, there are comprehensive blacklists of proxy IPs available to block an account
    • Blocking throwaway emails
    • Requiring minimum register time
    • Requiring minimum post count
    • Requiring minimum forum registration
    We could also do it by having a point threshold, a user would have to meet X number of points to be able to vote. I'll give an example.

Number of points to vote: 10

30 points: Purchase Game
    3 points: Registration date longer than X amount of days
    Base point of 6 points: Meet minimum post count to get 6 points and 1 more point is awarded every time they meet X more number of posts
    1 point: Uploaded avatar
    1 point: Signature set
    -10 points: TOR/Proxy IP
    -10 points: Throwaway email
    -10 points: Forum ban

Add other positive and negative factors to decide whether the person is elligible for vote, the more comprehensive the system is, the better.

Having to purchase the game to vote is fine by me. I suggest you make a poll.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Be careful suggesting the buying of multiple votes lest vengeful players with names rhyming with dominosama buy out the election. Wouldn't want StarMade turning into a US government simulator.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    We could also do it by having a point threshold, a user would have to meet X number of points to be able to vote. I'll give an example.

Number of points to vote: 10

30 points: Purchase Game
    3 points: Registration date longer than X amount of days
    Base point of 6 points: Meet minimum post count to get 6 points and 1 more point is awarded every time they meet X more number of posts
    1 point: Uploaded avatar
    1 point: Signature set
    -10 points: TOR/Proxy IP
    -10 points: Throwaway email
    -10 points: Forum ban

Add other positive and negative factors to decide whether the person is elligible for vote, the more comprehensive the system is, the better.
    I must say, I do like this. The pre integrated but currently unused point and level system could be used for that.

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Bad Idea

It is like P2W way.. pay to play, or "pay to vote"
    Why would anyone make fake accounts on starmade ?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I see no reason this could not be done as a test. Let the next election be voted only by purchasers, see how different the community representation is then.

It would be easy to tell after it has been tested once if it should continue like that.

Reactions: alterintel

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    With council elections coming up again soon, I'd like to hear an official response (DukeofRealms) on if we're going to require a purchase or have a system similar to what Duke thought up for the upcoming election, as a test.

Last edited:
    Reactions: alterintel
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Whether it's something along the lines of what Duke suggested, or a full-on "purchase to vote" thing, I do stand by the idea that next term should feature further effort to filter out potential voting alts.