Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update 31: Wing turrets rail refit

Finally done refitting the wing turrets looks wise. I had zero inspiration on how to make the fact that they float look better, so don't judge it too harshly :p. For those that missed the previous post I made on it the turrets are now part of the same entity, and can spin around the ship's Z axis. So they can basically aim in every direction without obstruction ^_^. Like so:

I also tossed this in because why not:

And I removed a flat area of hull that annoyed the hell out of me:

I'm gonna wait before refitting the systems in case an update comes out before I'm even started making the ship's systems (or start up where I left off before the rail update).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That is a sizeable shipyard, not gonna lie 0.0

Happy to see you carrying on with the project :) It takes real dedication to get on with it after over a year. Mental turrets btw, I want them :3

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    See, now he has a plausible way to build the thing. Sorta. Not really.
    But I mean, if you ever decide to make it in a server, now you have a station large enough to dock it to.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    How thick are those pylons?
    The grey sections are 11 wide. I spaced them out by 49 blocks (from the middle), since that's the maximum (well, max is 50 but I didn't want anything to mess up so I stayed on the safe side).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    *face plastered against plexglass window of transport staring at shipyard* must ... has ... its so ... gothic, yet modern, i currently am using a garbage one, it's set up like a bunch of Cs, with a ugly rod of power out from just in front of the station lol, its SUUU pretty!!!!, oh the ship is nice too, JUST KIDDING its awesome, My favorite part HAS to be the drop down generators, thats so cool, do you have it wirelessly, or is there some kind of button on the bottom? im definitely implementing something like this in every ship I make from now on (now just to actually finish a ship, so many half made ships XD) ... without a doubt, it's just too convenient and to cool, and those drones, that's ingenious, I never thought of that, I always made rear opening bays, so my drones could flood out as I fly along, these new rails make some things a pain, but opens alot of opportunities. I have too many ideas XD

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    *face plastered against plexglass window of transport staring at shipyard* must ... has ... its so ... gothic, yet modern, i currently am using a garbage one, it's set up like a bunch of Cs, with a ugly rod of power out from just in front of the station lol, its SUUU pretty!!!!, oh the ship is nice too, JUST KIDDING its awesome, My favorite part HAS to be the drop down generators, thats so cool, do you have it wirelessly, or is there some kind of button on the bottom? im definitely implementing something like this in every ship I make from now on (now just to actually finish a ship, so many half made ships XD) ... without a doubt, it's just too convenient and to cool, and those drones, that's ingenious, I never thought of that, I always made rear opening bays, so my drones could flood out as I fly along, these new rails make some things a pain, but opens alot of opportunities. I have too many ideas XD
    Thanks! The reactors can be turned on/off via hotbar logic (which is connected to wireless logic), so it's pretty convenient. There's buttons in the reactor rooms to make them slide in/out of the ship. The only flaw is that the underside turret has to be undocked for the reactors to come out but tbh it's really not that bad since I only bring them out for refits anyways.

The drones have actually been there for a long time before rails got added, rails just make the loading process easier and faster :D

Reactions: darkvador83
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks! The reactors can be turned on/off via hotbar logic (which is connected to wireless logic), so it's pretty convenient. There's buttons in the reactor rooms to make them slide in/out of the ship. The only flaw is that the underside turret has to be undocked for the reactors to come out but tbh it's really not that bad since I only bring them out for refits anyways.

The drones have actually been there for a long time before rails got added, rails just make the loading process easier and faster :D
    meh, who needs to refit anyways, especially with a monster of a turret standing as a sentinel :cool: not likely someone could break them, though I did notice that the "door" is another docked ship, it might be more effective, to just put them on the bottom of the reactors, just in case someone can shoot your turret off (so glad that with rails i dont have to monkey around and try my best to put my turret as flat as i can on the ship so it doesn't get blown off), and i love the style, I have never been one for modern, i like futuristic *cough* mostly hexagons *cough* :rolleyes:

Loving this, i have a nice Desktop (uses his laptop for most of the chatting and forums, and looking for design ideas) but i think id be hardpressed to see this behemoth fire it guns, i might skip a bit if it moved even o_O

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #32 - M3 turret

This is a replacement for the M2 turret. Was going to refit the systems on the medium turrets since they needed one but just decided to modify them a bit because I was unsatisfied with the shitty copy/paste job I did with them. I sort of ended up tearing practically everything off and rebuilding from there while still keeping re-using elements from the old version, such as the barrels and missile pods. Am happy with the result, now it looks like a proper rail turret, not some sliced up thing with hinges slapped on (pretty much what if was).

The energy conduits are back!

Now the barrel also has complete freedom, there's no movement restrictions, apart from the tip of the barrels hitting the ship when aiming down
    Mass: 4.3k
    Combined DPS: 70K (lock-on missiles and rapid fire cannons)
    Defenses:
    -Barrel section: 800k armor, 350K @4k s/sec shielding
    -Body section: 300k armor, 180K @2k e/sec shielding
    Power: 100% self sustained (shields included)

So yea, not only does it look better and has better firing angles, it also has better systems across the board. And the hinge is at the back, so the risk of it getting hit are rather slim. Oh, and don't forget thwt there's 12 of those on the ship :p

I haven't installed them on the ship yet, will post pictures as soon as I do. Once again thanks for reading, hope you liked it!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Rumcajz and Lecic

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Hmmm..... My most powerful ship could PROBABLY take on ONE of your medium turrets......

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    My most powerful ship...

Isn't even a ship, its just a grey somewhat-empty and semibrick shell with a crapton of systems

On a more thread-related note: the charon is getting cooler and cooler!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Seeing how power tranfer beams don't really cause lag since the last update I'm seriously considering installing docked reactors in the super turret. Either way it needs a refit since it barely does any block damage right now.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I used to get 15 fps with the wing turrets moving around, now I get 55! It sits around 60 with nothing moving. This is glorious!

Edit: I enclosed the mass enhancers, which are basically located in a rotating cylinder inside the ship. Seems like it caused a slight performance decrease. Also, I noticed that when moving the turrets dropped my fps to around 38, not 55 :(. HOWEVER, considering how fast turrets move they only need to make slight adjustments after the initial rotation is done, and I get 50 fps when it's not moving, so it's not that bad ^_^

Edit 2: Did a test without the cylinder enclosure, result is practically similar, so I guess that's good news :p. The in-game fps counter reports an average of around 38, but it honestly feels higher than that. In a test VS AI I was getting a solid 50 fps.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Alright, just did a test with all turrets firing (apart from the PD turrets), fps count was between 22 and 50, sitting at 40 most of the time. And that's with the entire ship loaded in!

^ that ship got wrecked.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Update #33 : Upgraded hangars

This update is basically a refresh of the two main hangars with rail docking, here's the changes:

The .gif tool messed up the forcefield animation...

I know that there's extra unneeded activators, but I like well organized logic :p. I use the to route logic lines.
    Both can be activated with wireless logic on board the corvette docked in the hangars, or from buttons within the hangar. In addition, the retracting dock is practically impossible to break, I made it so that spamming the button doesn't mess it up. Even trying to retract it with a ship still docked won't break it (it'll just stall when the ship hits the wall and resume once the ship undocks).

That concludes the update for today, hope you like it!

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Even trying to retract it with a ship still docked won't break it (it'll just stall when the ship hits the wall and resume once the ship undocks).
    Gotta love those small unintended features that you claim are by design, like on mine where you press retract and it will somehow reverse the process when you are still docked and go back to how it should be ^_^