Charon 2.0 - A WIP super titan [Update 5 : new medium turret]

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I just realized that I'd have to refit the vertical firing missiles on the ship due to the changes in the latest update.... I can probably just remove some to bring the power consumption back in line, but still...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just realized that I'd have to refit the vertical firing missiles on the ship due to the changes in the latest update.... I can probably just remove some to bring the power consumption back in line, but still...
    since when did your ship have power issues

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    since when did your ship have power issues
    Well... um...

I have to gauge it well or it'll have power issues. I have a pretty good margin, but still. Mostly because of the super weapon, which will drain almost all the power to fire :P

Reactions: Thalanor
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'd like to pay my respects to a once great project, now presumably turned to a useless derelict by the recent power usage spikes.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Wait. How?
    Hue hue. By having them on a gimbal, both wing turrets are now part of the same entity, so it's really one big turret. That means 360° coverage with no obstruction, and that it won't collide with the super turret (or anything for that matter, so less lag). It's actually something I planned on building for my station but I ended up salvaging the idea for Charon (as I do with all decent ideas I get for other projects).

It basically looks like they spin around the ship. Do note that the visual part isn't finished, it should make more sense once it is (stuff like micro thrusters on the turret base, or something like that).

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Soooo, I just made a new point defense turret. It has 360 degree rotation freedom so hopefully they won't cause too much lag.

Edit:

I have a feeling that 100 rail turrets is a bad idea.... oh well :P

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    >100 rail turrets
    >starmade collision checking

pick one and one only, mein freund.

that being said, nice work.
    Yea, I reduced the amount of turret emplacements by half. Right now there's 36 docked and I drop to around 23 fps when they're moving, luckily it doesn't last long (since the missiles get shredded) :P

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    UPDATE 30 : Rail utilities and Point defense

Not sure if I didn't post any of this already, either way here's the update:
    The amount of point defense turrets was reduced to 32 turrets, this is due to the gigantic amount of lag more turrets caused, despite the fact that they don't actually collide with anything. Click here for pictures of the individual turret. Here's the current emplacements:
    There's sixteen turrets covering each side of the front prongs, each four on top and four on the bottom

Eight turrets covering the back

Four turrets covering the top side of the ship (two on each side of the bridge)

Six turrets covering the front of the ship.

I did some tests and the array can shoot down a 90 missile swarm from 5-6km range from pretty much every direction.

The reactors can now be retracted into the ship via rails, they're all docked to a rack making it a LOT easier to refit them if I ever need to. All I need to do is jndock the main turret and press a button, instead of painfully flying up into the ship with all 40 reactors.
    Here you can see the doors to all four reactor racks
    I also updated the drone system with wireless logic and other stuff. Now it basically takes 10 seconds and no effort to load up the racks, I just dock it to the rail, hook up the wireless logic and press the button

And then this happens:

Then the door closes automatically. I used plex doors because they benefit from full shielding, unlike rail doors, so it's less likely that the drones will get wrecked by a frontal attack. Also I'm lazy :p
    The drones and reactors were actually done a month or two ago, I just never go around to posting about it. As always, stay tuned for more updates!

Last edited:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Those reactors dropping out of the ship looks awesome.

Reaction score
    This stuff looks incredible. I feel like my laptop would catch fire from being within a hundred miles of this ship.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    This stuff looks incredible. I feel like my laptop would catch fire from being within a hundred miles of this ship.
    I can tell you right now that mine did, which is why I got a serious upgrade :P

Reaction score
    I can tell you right now that mine did, which is why I got a serious upgrade :p
    I'm probably going to have to upgrade my laptop before I get even close to finishing Cuchulainn. :P

I dread the lag it will cause. Millions of circuits will cry out in terror before being roasted when I use parts of it.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'm probably going to have to upgrade my laptop before I get even close to finishing Cuchulainn. :p

I dread the lag it will cause. Millions of circuits will cry out in terror before being roasted when I use parts of it.
    Pretty much. Altough you'll be driven to a laggy insanity before that happens...
    The lag... oh the lag, especially with rail turrets... Even with my current PC I get dropped to ~22 fps when the PD turrets are actively turning and shooting at missiles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Pretty much. Altough you'll be driven to a laggy insanity before that happens...
    The lag... oh the lag, especially with rail turrets... Even with my current PC I get dropped to ~22 fps when the PD turrets are actively turning and shooting at missiles.
    Heres Johny!

Reaction score

Now imagine a bunch of rail PD's, the Dread Weapon Firing, massive rail turrets firing, and shifting between travel and combat mode.

Yeah. I'm building a Super-Destroyer that morphs slightly with rails. Prepare for lag when you play with me.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Now imagine a bunch of rail PD's, the Dread Weapon Firing, massive rail turrets firing, and shifting between travel and combat mode.

Yeah. I'm building a Super-Destroyer that morphs slightly with rails. Prepare for lag when you play with me.
    Oh I know, trust me. With all the turrets firing and the docked reactors active I'd probably drop to 3-5 fps........... Such a shame, I used to get much better performance than that on my laptop. That was back before beams went to shit even more and rail turrets though.