Capital Ships mod and test server

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I want to start by thanking Schema for implementing all the features such as the block config and blockbehavior that allow people with absolutely no coding experience to modify this game in impactful and meaningful ways. I spent many years working as a game tester, and Schine is by far one the the best developers I have ever seen in terms of working with the community and making their game accessible to everyone.

A few people have asked about this recently so I have decided to poke this dead horse with a stick and see what happens. So far I am very happy with the results.

This isn't a "mod." It's a heavy alteration to the Blockbehavior file and blockConfig, but I say the word "config" and a lot of people don't seem to know what I am talking about, so I am going to go with "mod."

What's going on here?:

I have done some major re-balancing to many aspect of the game to try and get a certain feel. I want little ships to be fast, zippy and useful while big ships to be slow, bulky and powerful.

Right now, in my opinion; little ships are useless, and big ships are fast, zippy and horribly over powered. That doesn't work for me, and if it doesn't work for you, then I might have something you will like.

I want to crate a universe where large sluggish capital ships slug away at one another while smaller strike craft zip around chasing each other and harassing the capital ships.

In Short what's changed?:

-Armor on all levels has received a large buff, and HP contribution has been increased
    ships are way more durable, armor values are higher.

-HP overall has received quite the boost to make all those HP loss trigger de-buffs meaningful.
    I don't know about any of you, but I'm always dead long before I get to see what the de-buffs actually do.

-The base damage of weapons have all been buffed, and the power consumption lowered.

-The group multiplier for weapons has been increased. So the more separate groups you have the more power the weapon system will consume.

-Thrusters have been tweaked and their power consumption increased to slow those big ships down.
    a small ship can easily fly circles around a larger capital ship.

-The block specific mass for a number of things has been either lowered or raised.

-The HP condition triggers have been adjusted to match the changes to HP values.
    You will loose control of the ship at 50%, but the ship will not overheat till 30%

-Effects have received a considerable boost to help add some strategy into combat.
    I was surprised to find that most effects had been essentially "turned off" meaning all their values set very low. Not sure why, but I added values back in.

Now the ones I know a lot of people will hate:

-Shield recharge now has a stiff diminishing return and has increased power consumption.
    With armor now providing most of the protection, shields needed a nerf.

-Power re-gen soft cap has been lowered to 500k. The multiplier has been increased.
    This means you hit the 500k cap very quickly. Giving small ships ample power for thrusters and weapons.

There are also a lot of other little tweaks I've made, and I wont quite into detail on those.

All these settings give smaller ships one hell of a boost. Initial testing has been very promising, but I need more people to try it out and give me feedback.

I have a test server set up and could use some testers. Send me a private message here on the dock and I will pass along the IP.

Also please ignore most of the posts below as the are from almost a year ago XD

take care all :)

Last edited:

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Without having installed this, it actually looks nice and I want to see the effects. It sounds like your weapon systems are more diverse than what we currently have and I want to check it out. Will do when I have time!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Well there is nothing to install and we have not added anything to the game, just to clarify.

All the changes on this server are done using the already available BlockConfig files and Blockbehavior file. I feel a lot of people are afraid to play around with them and have no idea how much you can really change the game editing just these two files.

A lot of suggestions I see on the forums; thrusters this, shields that, weapons this, armor that... Are already things that can be fixed and made better with the tools we have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Hopefully more people come by in the next few days. Had a few people join up today and check it out, they were all random joiners that had no idea of what the server was however lol

Reaction score
    I might have to look at these files for my single player and if I ever get to the point of hosting a server. I like the weapons but they seemed a little off in how they work. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    So after spending some time testing the crafting system it occurred to me... "gosh I have a lot of random rocks left over from mining all these minerals.... and boy do these half eaten asteroids everywhere look stupid..."

Solution?

I'll add recipes that "refines" large around of unusable rock into usable minerals. Incentive to harvest the whole asteroid, not just the tasty insides. Yay for a no waste crafting system =D

Course this is a recycled idea of mine back from version .94 when a bug prevented asteroids from spawning with any minerals in them... I kind of miss the old mineral names.... could really go for some insainium right about now...

Reactions: Lidren and CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Server is still up, but I have not received any feed back on it at all really. With all the talk of balancing on these forums I would like to think people would have been more interested :oops:

The server will still stay up for a while and I will eventually make the config publicly available for anyone that wants to look it over carefully.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Only because I have not had the time to swing in. I'll grab a likely ship and do so later tonight. I like how it looks on paper, I might already have feedback but want to see how it works in game.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    If I wasn't so busy still trying to learn the native game, I would give it a shot. Normally I am big on mods to keep things fresh and moving. But things are still 'very' fresh and moving for me now.

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If I wasn't so busy still trying to learn the native game, I would give it a shot. Normally I am big on mods to keep things fresh and moving. But things are still 'very' fresh and moving for me now.
    Nothing wrong with that at all. I'm still working out what's already here as well. I figure though there will be massive changes over time through alpha, so don't mind experimenting in favor of vanilla play. Seeing if I can catch things before they catch on.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm building a ship that I'll finish on the test server.

Might take a little while, what with work and all.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Been itching to try and mod the game to something more... hostile. Would you happen to be able to put your files up for download somewhere, so I can see what differs between vanilla and your modifications?

Reactions: Mered4

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Been itching to try and mod the game to something more... hostile. Would you happen to be able to put your files up for download somewhere, so I can see what differs between vanilla and your modifications?
    I too would like to see them, if only so i can build a specific ship loadout for it in SP.

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Reaction score
    im getting a crash with this, and im guessing its because of newer version.

NullPointerException: Exception: REQUESTED TYPE 681 IS NULL

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Sadly, I stopped working on this due to a total lack of interest from people.

I have started working on a new version of this based on some new ideas and very good feedback I did receive from the select few that tried it.

If you are actually interested PM me and I will send you the IP if the test server so you can check it out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    As of 10/25/15 this thread and Config has been revitalized.

Please PM me if you are interested in participating.