Can't join any servers :socket exception

Reaction score
    Hi guys i have been with starmade since early alpha and i have never seen the problem before. I click play and starts joining the server then it times out with the error "actual exception:socket exception". Sometime i get lucky and i join the server but then my ping is something insane like 600-2000 and the game is unplayable.
    I have the latest Java and the latest starmade.
    My specs
    Motherboard:Msi G41M-P33
    GPU:Msi Ati HD 6670 1Gb DDR5
    RAM:4GB
    PSU:Corsair VS450
    CPU:core 2 Quad @ 2.66GHz

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I believe this can be avoided if you uplink to your account in the launcher before joining a server.

Reaction score
    I would suggest to try a clean install of java (download java remover and reinstall java) and update your network drivers.

Reaction score
    create an additional partition and dual boot a fresh new windows, this way you can still have your old windows,test if starmade works there.

Also you sure your PSU can handle your system? Your PSU gives you max 450 W, yet the GPU takes 300 W, which leaves only 150W for the mobo, disk, processor (very Watt hungry)...

Reaction score
    Well i have been using it like that for a long time and it plays other games like BF3 and Arma 2 OA on high and it never given me problems before and this system used to run on a 350 watt. Also i dont have my win 7 disk with me its packed in storage is there anything else i can do?

Reaction score
    if you have a key you may legally download an ISO (I can't provide adownload link as it's agains the rules - legal or illegal, doesn't matter)

Reaction score
    LOL i am not allowed to download such big files with me internet me and and someone else share a connection and its caped at 10GB the the biggest file i can download is about the size of the game.wow i seem to be a real pain in the ass here.

Reaction score
    Mini 7 is about 700 MB (+ your drivers whichcan be 300 MB too or more)

Reaction score
    I cant but i dont think its my pc because it does the same on my other pc's i have three and it does that with all three.

Reaction score
    oh that changes it all, did you try to take your pc or laptop to a friend, connect to the internet there and see if the exception occurs? :O

maybe it's your router/modem fault then.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Are you able to play local Sandbox ?
    If yes , than i would search the problem somewhere along the line to the server. Starting with your network drivers and firewall then router settings and so on.
    Are you on a wireless setup? To much lost packets than maybe?

Reaction score
    I connect to the network wirelessly with my laptop then i share the connection with me pc through a switch. It could be the networks router settings that's all i can think of and i don't have access to the router settings.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Then i would test if you can get it to work on a different internet connection by going there with your laptop.
    At least if it works there than you know that there is nothing wrong with your system.

Reaction score
    I get the same issue!
    The lucky moments when i make it onto a server my ping spikes too around 18000!! ( that is not an exageration) im running off a desktop with more than enough power connected too my modem via ethernet, when i ping the server via the CMD it says im getting around 300-360ms yet i join a server ( if it lets me on) and my ping is well up into the thousands! ive tried port forwarding the game and the server i want too connect too with no luck i have freashly installed my OS ( seeing as its a new PC running windows 8.1 incompatabillity mode when i lauch the starmade starter just too make sure) i have a new fresh up to date version of java and my network speedtests put me at around getting 8.50mbps download speed I have also made an expection for the launcher through my OS firewall my router firewall and my Internet security firewall i cant see what could be causing this?

Reaction score
    Ok well i managed to get to another internet source and it does the same thing so something like a game setting or a bug is at work here.