can we link servers?

Reaction score
    Say can we link servers with wormholes?

So we connect Nass with Illusive via wormhole and ships can get from one server to the other? Maybe we could create one giant universe with many servers supporting only a small parts of the whole.

I thing we could make great inter server wars like this :D

generalBLT13

Scary grrrrr
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Purchased!
    well that is crazy, i highly doubt that is possible. but i might be wrong. but then the vaygr could easily come wipe everyone out....

Reaction score
    hey we are not that bad. And it would not be a must for the servers.

I just thought that even now factions and of course players are spread over many different servers. And they cannot really interact. And opening the same faction on a different server, well for me that breaks the immersion. Just think about assaults on heavily defended wormholes :D

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I dunno... the fact that it is actually science based is better... but no!

No support.

Reaction score
    Assuming of course that the game can support this without exploding, then i am in. maybe you would reload the game and actually switch to the server before spawning on without anything but the ship you were in.

Reaction score
    Why dont you think it would benefit the game? I mean it would not have to be a must?.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it\'s an awesome idea and verry possable. On minecraft there was a mod called multiverse if I remember right wich allowed you to travel from one minecraft server to another. I think it evin supported mod changes. multiverse servers had coppies of the client mods they used so if you swiched between verses that had diffrent mods it would auto update your clients mod list. Anyway i think its is definatly in the range of possibilities and would be awesome. My biggest consern would be that it doesn\'t circomvent whitelists and ban lists.... please forgive spelling i\'m on a friends mac and it doesn\'t support spell check. the loading screen instead of the standard spawn could be your ship flying threw a wormhold for as long as it takes to transfer from one server to another. also I think admins should have to place a wormhold on both servers manually so server 1 can\'t just place a wormhole to server 2 without prmission cuz both server 1 and 2 have to place a wormhole connecting to the other. would also be nice if the wormholes could be made for 1 way and or 2 way traffic. on larger servers many 1 way wormholes to lessen congestion. they could also be nammed so that they connect to a spicific place on one another or random so they appear in diffrent places each time the server is restarted or baced on a timer change possitions every 39hours or whatever.... but i\'d be exctatic with just a basic admin places a wormhole in sector x.y.z of server 1 and tells it to connect to server 2 then the admin of server 2 places one in sector x.y.z of his/her server and tells it to connect to server 1.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For actually linking the servers together, they used the BungeeCord plugin.

Mod changes are supported by server hosting companies, not the plugins themselves. Because you actually string together different servers, you can have different plugins on them. Because these are server-side only, players can connect to each one and have different plugins active, as it doesn\'t depend on them.

Mods are different, each player has to have all the mods installed in order to be able to get into a modded server. I never played on any linked mod servers though, so I can only speculate that you would need to have all mods installed on your client in order to access all linked servers.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I see a lot of issues, but hope it will be possible...

1. You travel through and get insta-killed before your ship loads. Now you are stuck in a server with just a core (if you have one, not dropped your inventory into void) and can\'t get back to the wormhole.
    2. Some server has no cores, power or thrusters in his spawn shop (power and thrusters are very important for servers with high dampening)
    3. Your turrets are auto-attacking something you shouldn\'t attack.
    4. You lost your ship to a server where you are banned or which is perma-offline.
    5. One server makes it easier to get ressources.
    6. One server sells blocks that the other server doesn\'t have/allow (to be sold to normal players).
    7. Migration of block-IDs.
    8. Things I forgot in this list.

But if it works, I would prefer wormholes to be either two-way between protected sectors and require an active (not banned) registration at both servers.

Or one-way with player-made gates. You (players or admins) can make a cross-server-gate everywhere, but you will get out of a single (or group) of gates which have a server-whitelist for your server.

If there are multiple wormhole-exits for one server-server connection (reduces lag for multiple big ships), which one is choosen? Will it show you what is in the other sector? (how many blocks, Kilobyte of blueprints, etc)

Reaction score
    Well we could make the exit an random spawn in this area. So it would be harder to camp a wormhole completely. This Way attacking would also be harder since the ships are dispersed.

And for blockid problems, the only Information which is necessary is the blueprint. Then the ship could just spawn like they do now. Maybe with some fancy light shows.

So to prevent Long waiting Times the Servers could share blueprints from the beginning.

And sorry for the typing this was written with an iPhone And i dont know how to change the language for it

Reaction score
    I just thought of something really exiting. What if the servers had different resources by default? That would make trade routes a viable possibility. With that comes, pirate attacks and to counter that convoys. The wormholes would also function as powerful locations to have for a faction. Like to take e fee for passage. That would give a very good reason for war and conflict :D

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here\'s why-

Johnny McFaggot is a greifer.

He doesn\'t have a ship.

He goes to a server he is admin on.

He spawns in his 9001km ship.

He goes back to the other server.

He fucks over everyone.

Everyone stops playing SM.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That was a rather negative look on it...

If I recall correctly tho, one of the suggestions was thus; Wormholes had to be approved by both servers.

That alone should help with Johnny McFaggot cause if he\'s in charge of an unknown server, or a server known for abusive admins, then why would any sensible sensible server allow them to link? I mean technicaly every single player is a small contained server, so restrictions on who can link to who is a given, and it promotes active admins to prevent wormhole abuse as well (possibly a command to close said Wormhole temperary)

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Johnny Mcfaggot can go and take someone\'s ship, as people rarely bother with factioning on a creative server like that, and flies that other person\'s ship in.

(Also, I find it funny how Vaygr members are promoting the idea, while almost everyone else thinks it is a bad idea.)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    As a server admin, my biggest fear would be virus\'. If a linked server gets infected with a virus, it could then spread to the entire network, and the vast majority of servers would either be down, or ridiculously slow. If the right pre-cautions against this are taken, I would fully agree with this

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    SATURN is a private server and the guy running it isn\'t retarded.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If such an event did happen, the Fault would fall on the server admins and owners for not taking such... Noobs into consideration.

This is one of those Ideas that require and effort form the admins and community (God forbid someone actualy do something tho). Its not a \"Concept that works\", its an \"concept that only works if ppl understand it before using it\". And to be Fair... I dont see why a Building server would link to a Normal or hardcore server, cause then you got refugees and fugitives hiding in among the Ships being built...

But to be clear, I would support this if I wasnt Vaygr either :/ since I sorta think of Servers as \"Galaxies\" anyways, and the only other Vaygr here is the one who orginally suggested it... unless you mean to say that the Vaygr is not allowed to suggest new features?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That is a legit concern there :/

Well I dont understand server, linking or Data transfer between servers... Perhaps a \"Buffer\" server could be in place between 2 linked servers? As in they wouldnt be directly connected, but rather connect to a common point which would scan and check the data being sent (sorta like an anti-virus). The downside is that it may slow the transfer data and may increase chances of Errors.... but to be fair; Wormholes are dangerous things :p ships could be warped or destroyed entirely if my understanding is correct, and a delay in warping helps prevent spam... I think

Reaction score
    Just so you know, the moment anything, be it normal matter or energy (I exclude exotic matter because nobody has proven such a thing exists, but if it does, my argument is invalid), enters a wormhole (which, by the way, are only mathematically theoretically possible) would cause the wormhole to instantly collapse into a black hole. So I\'d hesitate calling this science based; more like sci-fi based.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I sorta think of Servers as \"Galaxies\" anyways

Me too.