can we link servers?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    yaaaay. Lets let a faction with no base, no hold, nothing on a server drive in with their entire fleet and destroy everything, because that is what you would create. Its just plain wrong.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    +1 warping delay

+1 to trade routes (but then ppls want to have more galaxies / parallel worlds in one server too)

The implemention would make it possible to protect something by only protecting a single entrance/passage.

FTL could make it possible to have very specialized ships bypassing the requirements or factions with enough fuel or ressources to build a gate and protect it to require each other (different locations) or trade with each other a lot more, build alliances ...

Virus? Why?

You exchange blueprints. You can filter blueprints to only allow whitelisted values in per context.

You can also upload \"virus-infected\" blueprints (or a blueprint assembling a server/ppls-crashing virus-shaped ship with low cost-animated lava blocks)

Viruses require a bug. Java most likely crashes instead of doing something unexpected (like writing out of an array\'s memory)

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    -1 While this is a cool concept it would be horrible if implemented since servers would lose any type of individually. What I am saying is that NASS hardcore, for example, would no longer be hardcore since people would get supplies from a different server then go through a wormhole and be OP to the players who actually want to play how the server intended. I do not know why people keep suggesting this....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Server could still have different speed limits.

Hyperspace-servers vs sublight servers :D

They could have slightly different block prizes or only allow ships with certain modules (one server forbid build blocks and temporarily transform them to some useless block (like disabled build block))

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    From what I see, its more of an issue that \"Large Factions can invade at any moment\", which is understandable cause \"LOL Vaygr\".

So how about this? Add in permissions, meaning that for a faction to use a Wormhole for a set amount of time, an admin on both servers would have to approve.

This would allow smaller factions to search around for a place to set up home, instead of server hopping and having to constantly restart. It would also restrict the Larger Factions cause it would limit what they could send over.

Let say the Vaygr (for example) wants to invade a random server, and both Server admins agree to allow a Single fleet through the wormhole so long as Terms of engagment and server rules are kept (No spawn killing, noob stomping, etc). It would allow the Vaygr to move to said Server, and if successful, set up an outpost. HOWEVER if said Server managed to defeat said ships, the Vaygr could not simply spawn more cause they would no resources, nor could they warp in more ships since they\'re access is now restricted.

As to why ppl would want to do this? Mainly cause Boredom, War, and Alliances (say if Faction A was attacked and need backup from Ally B, they could send over a fleet even if on seperate servers).

In essence, assuming its done right, it could help the community on some servers to grow, while allowing \"Mercenaries\" to free roam looking for work and possible Territory wars (Factions in control in a bulk of a server)

It would also allow Factions to par-take in server events if they wanted without having to move and restart just for that, and even Designated Battle Servers where, say the Vaygr, can Battle with their \"Gaint Lagging DeathBricks\" against other, Gaint lagging deathbricks without Lagging of a server (Planned Battles I mean.

On the note of Server Lagging, it would also allow Factions to spread out move, so instead of the full load of Many ships on 1 server, it can be spread over many servers, which could add to \"exploration\" if said servers added Landmarks and the like.

And with a final note I say this; its a suggestion, and a suggestion simply means an idea that might be interesting or useful (in my opinion anyways). This counts as Interesting cause it expands the games Horizon to a great degree. I\'m in Favour of this because I had actualy talked to someone on HSZ about setting up outpost on many of the major servers, and allowing ppl to \"move their ships\" by dismantling it on the orginal server, and giving them what they need to spawn it on the new server, Which is what this suggestion essentialy brings up. I think I rambled enough for now o7

Reaction score
    The mentality of some of the members is astonishing. I suggest cake in addition to regular cookie. If you do not like it you don\'t have to. But some people are like \"I HATE CAKE SO YOU WILL HAVE NO CAKE EITHER!!!!!!!!!!elf!!!!11111\"

Really. I just thought it would generate some benefits to the game. Make it interesting.

Oh and for the \"he is vaygr he is an evil devil trying to destroy alllll people\".

So now for you, I joint the vaygr because they seemed to be a faction which fights. I had the feeling that as soon as there was a new faction all people immediately wanted to be friends and ally and best buddy ever. Really what fun is a space game without conflict? Jea we (against DFN) had a battle but as far as I am concerned that is what a space game with weapons is for. Or do you only want to fight the AI pirates? We don\'t want to destroy your fun with the game, ok maybe your ships but hey you can shoot at ours too.

Sorry for the rant. Back to topic.

Think of the following situation, server A and B are linked trough 4 wormholes. Server A has deliberately lower amounts of X but has plenty of Y. Jet B has almost no Y but much X. This is of course balanced by admins.

The result are trade routes which generate naturally 4 heavily valuable locations on both servers, which results in interesting developments. Whatever these are wars or trade guilds is not important.

Now there are no important places in the universes, no buttle holes no places you have to struggle for. There could be AI freighter which can either be attacked by pirate factions, or protected for a fee from \"good\" factions. Which get money for destroying pirates.

And another thing I thought was interesting was, that it would create a universe with much more possible players than now.

And for people fearing invasions. Simply restrict the size or mass that a wormhole can port at a single time. Anyone know honor Harrington? Make the wormholes like these so that a giant fleet closes the wormhole for like 5h or so.

There are so many possibilities.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I dunno the character Limit xD

Things to point out tho;

My suggestion of this suggestion entails that wormholes must be allowed by the server owners (So hardcore wont be linked to a build server unless they want that)

This is merely a suggestion, its not goona -Poof- and become reality, nor will it be forced upon ppl.

The idea of Admins approving of a warp includes searching for things like recipes, disallowed blocks, etc. The admins check to see if your ship will still apply/follow the rules of the new server its bound for.

Managing a presence on Multiple servers can be tricky, and it seems most large faction stick to one. This would allow more factions to interact with said large factions (Vaygr on HSZ, Tartaran on Illusive, DFN on SATURN), if such wormholes are approved (and even if they\'re not, they may still be a long work around involving many transfers for the determined)

Reaction score
    For the character limit the wormholes could close due to gravity anomalys.

edit.

And for Debris worrying about vaygr death cruisers. Make a upper limit for how big a ship can be for the jump.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I was referring to my above post, which ended up a tad lenghty.

Reaction score
    I thought about the wormholes between servers. As already suggested restrict the mass a ship can have when it wants to jump. This way servers could prevent giant battleships rampaging around.

Make trade valuable with resources, maybe AI freighters? Maybe AI factions which wage wars about wormholes?

We could even make temporary mini universes where there are very many recourses but really hefty pirates or AI factions. Like the nether in minecraft???

Or, Alien Invasions through wormholes!!! Like server wide events where many factions have to fight of an AI Alien invasion :D

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • 1) think about this:

One server has a speed limit of 100 (the-rebel-alliance, etc) and 0.09 dampening.
    • Another server has a speed limit of 500 and 0.25 dampening (hyperspace).

• 2) think about this:

All allowed blocks have an ID below 500.
    • All blocks only allowed on server 1 have an ID of 512+
    • All blocks only allowed on server 2 have an ID of 768+
    • All blocks disabled on one server:

have no cubatom recipie
    • disabled in their description
    • a red cross on their texture
    • 0 cost (not usefull if you sell it) or same cost as on the other server.

[*]You have to pay the cost-difference in credits and your other credits are converted to not-sellable-1000credits-item items.
    [*]Recipies from other servers don\'t work either (wrong ID)

Now you can enter the \"hyperspace\"-server, but you need to fend of \"Space Invaders\" the whole time.

Or: you can take the risk for a faster travel.

Or: visit the inner trade sectors (all guns disabled, not buy-able).

You could still buy/build with weapon-blocks, but they are disabled (not a weapon).

Reaction score
    I don\'t see why different speed limits are a problem? Can you explain what you why you think that?

and about compatibility problems and block Id. I don\'t think there should be a, I am not a programmer so bear with me, hard contact between servers. Let\'s say a ship engages a jump from server A to B. Server A sends the blueprint and a count of all blocks in the players inventory to server B. There the blueprint would be loaded and the blocks given with automated admin commands. He would get \"new\" blocks from server B.

the only problem I see is that before the jump each ship would have to be saved as a new temporary blueprint. Because otherwise the ship would be repaired if it had any battle damage.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You got it wrong.

I am not against it. I said - why do you want it / how do you resolve issues with not allowed blocks on one server / solve an issue with invasions on a build server (deactivated weapons) / solve credits-transport issues (give credits with custom shop prices)

A build-server ship which jumps into real space could use disabled weapons, knowing that a wormhole-jump will enable them.

Reaction score
    My 2 cents:

A placeable server-transfer-block, that can be configured by admins, were just the IP-adress of the target server is entered. When activating the block (docking beam?), a window appears, asking you if you want to transfer to the next \"supercluster\" (actually log out from the current server and relog to the next server). Then the current server transfers your basic player-account information (faction, credits, inventory and currently used ship) to the target server.

Of course, this implies, that both server-parties coordinate their efforts by more or less synchronizing basic server settings, player whitelisting and more.

Reaction score
    Oh ok sorry i misunderstood you then. We\'ll I think this would have to be balanced by the admins of the servers. But again I think it would cause some cool trade opportunities. Think if one server had no laser blocks and the other no area effect blocks. Then the players would really need trade. Might even lead to trade guilds.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Think if one server had no laser blocks and the other no area effect blocks. Then the players would really need trade. Might even lead to trade guilds.

No need to restrict it per server. I think that is more a job for customizeable shops. I put it into a separate thread ( http://star-made.org/content/shop-types#comment-92738 )

Reaction score
    Of course you could do it for shops too. But then we would be again restricted to one server and it\'s relatively small population. And there is no bottle neck there, everyone on a server can reach any shop. We\'ll as long as it is not camped.

The fun part of attacking convoys, AI or player. Can only realistically happen if I have a small space where they have to move through. With shops I do not have that.

Maybe what interests me the most, is the possibility to interact with much more player and faction. ,ich more than now can be on a single server.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And there is no bottle neck there, everyone on a server can reach any shop. We\'ll as long as it is not camped.

Not if the shop is made by players, holds 300k of a rare item and NPC shops trade only basic items most of the time.

Or if the shop on your server is very far away (Sector +10\'000 to -10\'000) and easier to reach with wormholes (which lead -optionally- through other servers).