Buying ships with blocks as an alternative, not as a replacement

Should options to buy ships (either with blocks or credits) be presented in-game?

• Yes, it should be an in-game alternative

Votes: 45 88.2%
    • No, it should stay a global server setting (either blocks only or credits only)

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Admins should go around spawn some stations add shop modules and then stock them :/

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Keptic, great idea man. I hope EE would do something like this. It would increase trade by far. Dam credits goes way to fast and I can't make a dam profit making anything.

Reaction score
    Admins should go around spawn some stations add shop modules and then stock them :/
    Keptic, great idea man. I hope EE would do something like this. It would increase trade by far. Dam credits goes way to fast and I can't make a dam profit making anything.
    Feels good to be on a server that doesn't use the outdated buy-with-credits system. heheheh

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Feels good to be on a server that doesn't use the outdated buy-with-credits system. heheheh
    The problem with that is that you can't see what blocks are required to buy a ship, which is almost worse.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The problem with that is that you can't see what blocks are required to buy a ship, which is almost worse.
    Exactly. So the problem rounds up to shipyards. If they're planned for an introduction in december or so, it's better to handle ourselves until then, but if priorities are on different features like AI, quests, etc. then it would be very generous for Schema to expand the block purchase system with an UI element similar to Storage Filter dialog, listing all the blocks for a given blueprint/blocks in inventory, which can become a basement for the same element used in shipyards when their time will come.

Reaction score
    Won't fix anything...
    Just buy cheap crystals and sell power generators and power modules. Mostly on the spawn shop (2 2 2 by default), where there should be none at all...
    Too bad we can't place anything to craft that on a ship or an asteroid. That is messed up.

Reaction score
    Just buy cheap crystals and sell power generators and power modules. Mostly on the spawn shop (2 2 2 by default), where there should be none at all...
    Too bad we can't place anything to craft that on a ship or an asteroid. That is messed up.
    Because, let's face it, the first blocks bought by people when at the spawn shop are the energy blocks, required for mining and much more things. So selling them, or even making a shop of your own to sell them at a much higher price, THAT is the path to make money on a server!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    or even making a shop of your own to sell them at a much higher price, THAT is the path to make money on a server!
    I did, still not selling as much as you'd think.

Reaction score
    Is it like literally right next to the spawn shop? And how much players play on that server? That are the questions...

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Is it like literally right next to the spawn shop? And how much players play on that server? That are the questions...
    It's in 2 2 1 right on the border of the spawn sector, the shop sign is pretty visible too. It's on Ewlyn Eternity (one of the biggest servers out there).

Reaction score
    Dunno... when I tried it, I sold like 90-100 power generators and 35-40 power storage after a irl day of leaving it alone... but as soon as you left the spawn shop, you would get in the range of my shop, and I had few more stations as shop signs around, to direct the players to my shop... nad it was not a big server, as well...

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Dunno... when I tried it, I sold like 90-100 power generators and 35-40 power storage after a irl day of leaving it alone... but as soon as you left the spawn shop, you would get in the range of my shop, and I had few more stations as shop signs around, to direct the players to my shop... nad it was not a big server, as well...
    That's.... That's nothing.... I sold maybe 50 thousand thrusters and other stuff so far and only made around 16 million.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I agree that it'd be nice to have a hybrid option to set the game to be able to allow players to purchase with either/or ..... or neither if you want a really hardcore server ;)

As far as future implementation of shipyards go - they could always set it up to allow a player to purchase with blocks + a small percentage mark-up in credits -- They could possibly then speed the spawn of the ship as all of the materials are already on hand :D They could possibly even allow additional options - such as providing some, but not all of the needed blocks and buying the rest in credits?

It seems like this line of thought could add some cool alternatives to how players buy ships from blueprints down the road.

On a related but side note to Keptick: the scarcity of shops in the newer patch isn't a bug - they lowered the default percentage of shops that show up in the server config - you can reset it yourself (like I did) for single player games if you'd like:

just open the server.cfg file in notepad in your starmade folder and find the line that says:
    SHOP_SPAWNING_PROBABILITY = 0.08 //(must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no shops spawned in asteroid

If I remember correctly they had lowered it to 0.01 --- as you can see above I hiked mine up to 0.08 and it seems to spawn shops about as often as it was previously. I think I had to start a new world before it came apparent.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    That's.... That's nothing.... I sold maybe 50 thousand thrusters and other stuff so far and only made around 16 million.
    That's the problem with the pirate stations and other structures around the world: they give too much money to the one(s) salvaging them or stealing their storage. The stations are too OP right now, because they hold too much items and are poorly defended. If they would shoot beams witk 3k-4k in one hit and maybe 300-500 with a sniper, for the same amount of loot, only than it would be kind of worth it...

just open the server.cfg file in notepad in your starmade folder and find the line that says:
    SHOP_SPAWNING_PROBABILITY = 0.08 //(must be between 0 and 1): 0 is no shops spawned in asteroid

If I remember correctly they had lowered it to 0.01 --- as you can see above I hiked mine up to 0.08 and it seems to spawn shops about as often as it was previously. I think I had to start a new world before it came apparent.
    Yes, the default is 0.01, but the lack of an option to waypoint you to the closest shop is the worst thing in starmade and the best feature which is missing... maybe the scan range would depend on the ammount of antenas on your ship, with like one sector one antena and the scanner computer to have that option. OR include the coords of the shops in range, sorted by distance from you.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    What are you talking about?
    It clearly tells you every type of block that is needed.
    Why don't you try something first before spewing your uneducated opinions about it?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    What are you talking about?
    It clearly tells you every type of block that is needed.
    Why don't you try something first before spewing your uneducated opinions about it?
    Interesting I didn't know this was the case (since I'm pretty sure that didn't show up when I last tried it). HOWEVER, I don't see what this has to do with my suggestion. I still suggest either buy with credit, buy with blocks or a hybrid option to be available in game if shipyards aren't planed for a while. The fact that blocks show up makes it even more relevant. In case you didn't get it this suggestion is about having the CHOICE and not being locked in a single buying mode.

I'd also love to see all of that stuff fit in your inventory. Oh that's right, you can't. I may have been wrong about the blocks needed not showing up but it won't matter if you can't have all the blocks in your inventory at the same time.

So please, get your impolite comments out of my thread.

Last edited: