Burst-Shot slave effect

Reaction score
    Just spitballing an idea here. What if there was a weapon slave that made the master shoot in bursts, not a shotgun burst like missiles but a chaingun sort of burst one shot after another in quick succession.

The slave would divide the damage done evenly over the amount of shots. The slave will shoot one shot every 10% efficiency. At 100% efficiency it will shoot 10 shots, 50% efficiency will shoot 5 shots 30% efficiency will shoot 3 shots (etc etc). Then the reload speed of the cannon would be unaffected.

Why use this instead of a Cannon slave?

Each Individual shot still packs a fair bit of damage, making effects like Punch/Pierce/Explosion more viable than they would be on a cannon/cannon with 100% efficiency.

Larger ships will use this to fire a burst in between missile volleys, while smaller ships will use it to dogfight smaller ships while still maintaining a decent punch against larger ships.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That's a good idea, i already thought about something like this, and totally +1

But I think it should be possible aswell to perform a burst with multiple barrels and be considered as a single "weapon"
    This cannot be achieved with a slave effect, sadly

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    +1!
    Also, what @HerrColonel said - although if we were able to place activation blocks (or a new logic block) into the hotbar, it would be possible to create gatling guns and burst cannons entirely by yourself (logic triggered delay circuits).

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I would rather trade in my stupid looking shotgun lasers for this effect honestly. I do not get the appeal of having a laser break off into 40 random directions. Looks like a mess. This was something I mentioned before. With missiles as a secondary - burst fire for weapons, possibly area of effect for salvager. Missile-missile systems can remain the same.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    if we were able to place activation blocks (or a new logic block) into the hotbar, it would be possible to create gatling guns and burst cannons entirely by yourself (logic triggered delay circuits).
    Yes It would be quite easy, just weapons linked in chain with a delay in between. With the current SLOWNESS to reload we have with a great number of weapons combo, it's a shame we can not already.

I would rather trade in my stupid looking shotgun lasers for this effect honestly. I do not get the appeal of having a laser break off into 40 random directions. Looks like a mess. This was something I mentioned before. With missiles as a secondary - burst fire for weapons, possibly area of effect for salvager. Missile-missile systems can remain the same.
    +1
    And the weapons default values are a pain

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Burst doesn't really work for beams, does it? How about cannons get the burst effect, and beams get a more focuses "pencil shotgun" effect, where there is still slight spread over long range, but it's mainly a focuses array of multiple beams.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Burst doesn't really work for beams, does it? How about cannons get the burst effect, and beams get a more focuses "pencil shotgun" effect, where there is still slight spread over long range, but it's mainly a focuses array of multiple beams.
    That is a good compromise. Or even just a thicker beam. It would technically spread the damage a bit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    How about a burst of slower moving but powerful "plasma balls". I personally would like to see a variety of different looking energy weapons.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Goa'Uld Todesgleiter:
    Put an activation-module into your hotbar, fire 3 cannon-pulse shots over 3 seconds. Make them orange.

I think weapons should have more customizable reload time with ammo clips.
    Min DPS : Your on-board ammo factory fills 1 clip every X seconds.
    Capacity : You can have any number of clips or shots per clip.
    Reload : You have a clip-switch-time or cycle-time.
    Burst rate : You have a fire rate.
    Cycle time = Reload + burstTime*burstShots
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/best-ways-to-incorporate-ammo.3444/#post-52189
    I think ammo should be implemented together with firing patterns.
    Items, power => factory => clip
    clip, power => drained by weapon
    Items are optional.​

The only current problem with logic is you can't get logic cycles faster than 0.5 seconds.

Reaction score
    Goa'Uld Todesgleiter:
    Put an activation-module into your hotbar, fire 3 cannon-pulse shots over 3 seconds. Make them orange.
    I don't think you can put activation modules in your hotbar. I wish you could.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, using the new logic status for storage and using the drop-down list for al the storages in the ship, you could make simple logic triggers. If the list also shows storages from docked entities, you could even make cross-entity appear to be possible, while the logic is essentially still on the same entity.

I'm hoping to use this for a modular ship design I have in mind, but it has to be possible to access the storages on docked ships from the mothership (still need to test that).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, using the new logic status for storage and using the drop-down list for al the storages in the ship, you could make simple logic triggers. If the list also shows storages from docked entities, you could even make cross-entity appear to be possible, while the logic is essentially still on the same entity.

I'm hoping to use this for a modular ship design I have in mind, but it has to be possible to access the storages on docked ships from the mothership (still need to test that).
    You can't access docked storages, sorry. That WOULD be great, though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    :(
    When I get home I'm either going to bump a cross entity logic thread or create one. But I will get my ship!

Oh, I just realised that I can just temporarily go to my docked ship and access the storage from there. It's not as fun, but it will work for now. It does make multiple tools stupid though, as you'll have to cycle through every single entity.