Build mode crashes game, freezes computer

Reaction score
    I've had trouble running starmade since buying the game. I've doubled checked java (jre 1.8.0_66 64bit), gone through gfx settings (GT 640), RAM seems sufficient (6 megs), stripped down all game settings to low, uninstalled & reinstalled Starmade both via Steam & from Schine but the problem persists to the extent now I can't run the game.

When I spawn new ship core and enter build mode, the game freezes & I get either a jvm error, close program or a black screen & the whole pc of locked requiring a reboot.

Exasperated, disappointed, any ideas or help guys?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Hello
    First i do asume it did work fine at some point in the past ?
    Then try to reinstall the game - use in the first Launcher ->Options and repair - then search for the correct game version (normaly the last on the list) and use Forcedownload all and overwrite to reinstall.

if that still isnt working please upload the logfiles from a failed start (timestamp) and Grafcisinfo.txt from ./starmade/logs here

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I find it hard to believe that you have 6 Mb of RAM...

Reaction score
    Hello
    First i do asume it did work fine at some point in the past ?
    Then try to reinstall the game - use in the first Launcher ->Options and repair - then search for the correct game version (normaly the last on the list) and use Forcedownload all and overwrite to reinstall.

if that still isnt working please upload the logfiles from a failed start (timestamp) and Grafcisinfo.txt from ./starmade/logs here
    Thanks for reply mate,

Upon further testing:
    I installed in to a C:/Starmade folder, checked memory allocation settings, changed settings to low, launched game.
    In game however, I left my controls on default. I am left handed so I configure keypad, arrows & insert grouping keys for my bindings.
    A quick five minute test and build mode works fine so far. Next I'm going to try to reconfigure keys for numberpad and wait results.

Now I've been checking for left handed config ideas for Starmade and I've seen several posts addressing an issue with debug mode interfering with the settings but those posts were over a year ago so I presumed this was fixed in due course. I hazard a guess this is not actually the case?

Anyhow, thanks for the response.

Graphics log etc:

Running on thread: ClientThread
    Adapter: nvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx
    Driver Version: 10.18.13.6143
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.43
    Renderer: GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2
    GLSL Ver: 4.50 NVIDIA

I can't seem to upload the log file, zipped or not, I get an error message - it's quite a lot of text, would it be okay to post it instead?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    as long as it now works there is no need for log files

otherwise .. rename it to a .txt and then use the "upload a File" option here .. that should work

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Did you by any chance create a support ticket with same title?
    If yes, I found the problem:
    Don't use the numpad.

There are many key that crash the game depending on your current state of the game and hardware.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Yes, I made that ticket. :)

I'm left handed Andy, so I'm stuck for options. It would be great if the devs could address the keybindings issue though, it's a bloody nightmare configuring when you're left handed.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450957002,1450956843][/DOUBLEPOST]Yes I made that ticket :)

Being left handed, I'm limited on options, but it would be nice to see the devs addressing the keybinding issues as it's a bloody nightmare configuring things when you're left handed.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Same here unfortunately, also left handed and forced myself to learn playing with QWEASD which is not comfortable.
    We have this on our agenda to fix, and clean the numpad up.

So if you avoid using keys there, the crash should no longer happen.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    a quick[but not too good] temporary bypass for left handed players would be to remap QWEASD to UIOJKL and vice-versa. It isn't as far to the right as the numpad, but until the numpad is freed, it is better, than nothing, or am I wrong?

Reaction score
    You're right, I could try that key combo it's just matter of belligerence, stubbornness & hassle of getting used to using a different set up.

It's terribly disappointing though, being handicapped at this fundamental level of the game. Whilst I appreciate it's still alpha, all the new stuff being added isn't as useful as being actually able to get access to basic functions.