Read by Council Build Inhibitors vs Doors

Reaction score
    I think handheld Build Inhibitors should prevent doors from being opened and closed, because all a pilot would need to do is fill their ships with doors and turn them on when someone is boarding them, effectively a way to get around a border using an build inhibitor.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Filling a ship with doors is more of an annoyance than anything on the off chance someone will board you. Makes it difficult to interact with any thing on the ship because the game will think you're trying to toggle the doors.

Reaction score
    I have had this happen to me several times, for an annoyance, its used very frequently, and what people who use this do, is they leave a block on ship interaction places, so when someone boards the ship, they turn on their doors, the boarder(s) are trapped and cannot move and have to drill through hundreds of layers of door to get to the core.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This sounds a lot more like an engineered problem than a real thing.

If somebody really wants to counter boarders in the most ridiculous way I can imagine, instead of just using a 7 block anti-infantry turret, let them.

Reaction score
    Maybe a way to hack through the door? I think it might be a bit OP to let people just open doors in your ship if they have a single item.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Boarding is SUPPOSED to be HARD.

The concept that every time someone finds a new way to make it harder for boarders the devs have to counter it to make it easier is nonsense IMHO. The build inhibitor wasn't designed to make boarding easy, just to counter a game feature that can be abused.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think boarding should be hard, but presently it's too easy to make it impossible. If they want this to be a real mechanic of the game, this needs to be fixed. One of my threads had the suggestion for hacking, which would introduce some kind of skill based hacking or simply make it take time. One of the options would be to open doors on a ship. Perhaps a mini-hacking game per door could be implemented. But still what of the turrets? Perhaps a way to hack anti-personnel turrets to turn them off?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think boarding should be hard, but presently it's too easy to make it impossible. If they want this to be a real mechanic of the game, this needs to be fixed. One of my threads had the suggestion for hacking, which would introduce some kind of skill based hacking or simply make it take time. One of the options would be to open doors on a ship. Perhaps a mini-hacking game per door could be implemented. But still what of the turrets? Perhaps a way to hack anti-personnel turrets to turn them off?
    In SciFi movies, generally stuff gets hacked from a terminal.

Unfortunately, builders in Starmade generally don't leave computer terminals lying around.

One could hack items directly, but that is less immersive, especially when you are actively hacking a turret that is shooting you in the face. (Or worse, the standard single-player gaming mechanic, where the item being hacked temporarily stops doing anything while it helpfully waits for you to take it over.) This might be an important duty of NPC crew - Maybe some NPCs preoccupy the turret while other NPCs swarm the device and hack it.

Reaction score
    Boarding will be easier when they add better handheld weapons and NPC marines. Hacking could be interesting but can't be a hard counter to ship security systems.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    In SciFi movies, generally stuff gets hacked from a terminal.

Unfortunately, builders in Starmade generally don't leave computer terminals lying around.

One could hack items directly, but that is less immersive, especially when you are actively hacking a turret that is shooting you in the face. (Or worse, the standard single-player gaming mechanic, where the item being hacked temporarily stops doing anything while it helpfully waits for you to take it over.) This might be an important duty of NPC crew - Maybe some NPCs preoccupy the turret while other NPCs swarm the device and hack it.
    I think it'd be nice if there were some sort of computer console to hack, to make it more realistic, but StarMade just isn't made like this. You don't need a computer to open and close doors, do you? You just interact with the door (or a logic system that controls that door). So, hacking the door itself would be no less realistic than opening and closing it directly, right?

For anti-personnel turrets.. Hmm.. Well, how does an anti-personel turret work anyhow? It has to see it's target, aim at it, and then fire. So there might be different ways to disable the turret.
    1. Distract it.
    There is a problem with this. In StarMade, turrets do a LOT of damage to astronauts. Even a small turret one-shot kills astronauts. You could send in 100 crew members and they'd just get slaughtered before you actually destroyed much of anything. As a solution to this, perhaps there could be holographic diversions.
    2. Deflect the turret fire.
    In some games there are personnel shields, like in halo you can produce a bubble-shield. All shots that hit this bubbleshield deflect off it. Perhaps starmade could have the same thing. You throw down a bubble shield, and you're safe so long as you are inside of it. When that bubble-shield runs out though.. watch out!
    3. Stop the turret from firing.
    If you can wirelessly hack the turret so that it becomes disabled, you could do it from around the corner. But if someone else realizes what you are doing and re-activates the turret.. Then you become cannon fodder.
    4. Take over the turret.
    If you can hack a turret and then wirelessly control it, you could use it against the crew of the mothership you are attacking. The crew of the mothership would then have to either kill their own turret, hack it back from your clutches, or kill the device/person that is controlling that turret.

What do you think about these ideas?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it'd be nice if there were some sort of computer console to hack, to make it more realistic, but StarMade just isn't made like this. You don't need a computer to open and close doors, do you? You just interact with the door (or a logic system that controls that door). So, hacking the door itself would be no less realistic than opening and closing it directly, right?

For anti-personnel turrets.. Hmm.. Well, how does an anti-personel turret work anyhow? It has to see it's target, aim at it, and then fire. So there might be different ways to disable the turret.
    1. Distract it.
    There is a problem with this. In StarMade, turrets do a LOT of damage to astronauts. Even a small turret one-shot kills astronauts. You could send in 100 crew members and they'd just get slaughtered before you actually destroyed much of anything. As a solution to this, perhaps there could be holographic diversions.
    2. Deflect the turret fire.
    In some games there are personnel shields, like in halo you can produce a bubble-shield. All shots that hit this bubbleshield deflect off it. Perhaps starmade could have the same thing. You throw down a bubble shield, and you're safe so long as you are inside of it. When that bubble-shield runs out though.. watch out!
    3. Stop the turret from firing.
    If you can wirelessly hack the turret so that it becomes disabled, you could do it from around the corner. But if someone else realizes what you are doing and re-activates the turret.. Then you become cannon fodder.
    4. Take over the turret.
    If you can hack a turret and then wirelessly control it, you could use it against the crew of the mothership you are attacking. The crew of the mothership would then have to either kill their own turret, hack it back from your clutches, or kill the device/person that is controlling that turret.

What do you think about these ideas?
    As for hacking doors, I think you are thinking too small. Imagine hacking all doors at once, opening them all up. A clear path to anywhere on the ship. Furthermore, opening all doors might tend to open up some tender areas to hostile ships on the outside. On some designs, opening all doors would be devastating.

Holographic projections would be a great way to distract turrets inside Starmade.

I don't really appreciate the idea of a temporarily impervious shield system for astronauts. Why can't I use this on my ship? And chain-charge them so that my ship is permanently invincible? No, I'd rather leave such a game mechanic out of Starmade altogether, to keep it immersive.

Remote hacking would be good, but it just doesn't feel right if there's not some sort of terminal to hack into. Realistically, you could rip off a wall panel, find control cables, and start hacking away, but that seems too arbitrary. Not sci-fi enough for this game. Maybe system blocks, like shields and capacitors could double as hackable terminals. It's just that they don't have the look of something you would hack. They tend to look like energy waveguides. I guess it would be better than nothing, but it just doesn't seem immersive and fun to me.

On the other hand, if you were able to give NPC crew commands to hack, it would seem reasonable to see them start hacking anywhere, as long as their hacking effect was extremely limited. (They shouldn't be able to open all doors or take over all turrets in a random hallway. It would probably need to be one system, and limited to something within a certain radius.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Interesting, well, if you don't want hallways full of doors:

I'll decide to put a giant solid block of advanced armor at the center of my ship surrounding a hollow space just large enough to fit my astronaut, my core and computers, and a teleport pad that I manually disable after I use it to board my ship (not that you should be able to use it to get onboard anyways).

Or how about this. You've carved your way into my ship, you're walking down my hallway wondering why the floor and ceiling are made of blast doors and suddenly the answer is revealed when they snap open and you realize my entire interior is sandwiched between two entities on rails, made entirely of multiple layers thick lava, and both of them are moving at max rail speed directly at you. At least the hallway full of doors didn't do damage to you.

Actually, In both those scenarios you can still find the shortest path to cut through by looking in my ship in build mode and then cut directly to where you want to go. That seems like an unnecessary weakness and I can definitely do better. So... I'm going to have no open space at all on my ship. It'll be completely solid. You'll have no idea where any vital components are, and I'll get on and off it by docking to it and then switching to the main entity.

Will you be asking the devs to stop me from doing all of that?

...In StarMade, turrets do a LOT of damage to astronauts. Even a small turret one-shot kills astronauts...
    Are you saying anti-personnel turrets are too strong? Okay, I won't put any turrets inside my ship. Instead I set up my main weapons to fire through my interior, flooding it with instant death for anyone walking around inside. What now?

I'm not even being creative with these examples. I can do things with entity docking, shield, and power mechanics that would disgust you. If they ever get around to having collision damage too you won't board any ship you see me flying unless you've either blown it to pieces already (which I can make nigh on impossible), or, you feel like playing a death simulator.

The worst part is, every mechanic you come up with to stop me from gaming the system is just another system for me to figure out how to game. Soon enough you'll be back here asking them to change the changes. It's a never ending cycle because I'm never going to stop testing the boundaries of the mechanics.

There's good news tho. If someone runs a server they decide their server's rules. I either obey those rules or I get banned. Impose rules on your server and put in the effort to enforce them. Personal preferences are best dealt with like that, not by imposing them on the community as a whole.

Also, Benevolent27, I notice you tend to bring up immersion a lot in the suggestions section. That's a word that more often than not is used in place of saying "my personal preference." As an example, if you're walking down my hallway and I turn on a lump of force fields while your standing in it then it would be totally "immersive" if they sliced your astronaut into little pieces and sent you back to your undeathinator.

Last edited:

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Interesting, well, if you don't want hallways full of doors:

I'll decide to put a giant solid block of advanced armor at the center of my ship surrounding a hollow space just large enough to fit my astronaut, my core and computers, and a teleport pad that I manually disable after I use it to board my ship (not that you should be able to use it to get onboard anyways).

Or how about this. You've carved your way into my ship, you're walking down my hallway wondering why the floor and ceiling are made of blast doors and suddenly the answer is revealed when they snap open and you realize my entire interior is sandwiched between two entities on rails, made entirely of multiple layers thick lava, and both of them are moving at max rail speed directly at you. At least the hallway full of doors didn't do damage to you.

Actually, In both those scenarios you can still find the shortest path to cut through by looking in my ship in build mode and then cut directly to where you want to go. That seems like an unnecessary weakness and I can definitely do better. So... I'm going to have no open space at all on my ship. It'll be completely solid. You'll have no idea where any vital components are, and I'll get on and off it by docking to it and then switching to the main entity.

Will you be asking the devs to stop me from doing all of that?

Are you saying anti-personnel turrets are too strong? Okay, I won't put any turrets inside my ship. Instead I set up my main weapons to fire through my interior, flooding it with instant death for anyone walking around inside. What now?

I'm not even being creative with these examples. I can do things with entity docking, shield, and power mechanics that would disgust you. If they ever get around to having collision damage too you won't board any ship you see me flying unless you've either blown it to pieces already (which I can make nigh on impossible), or, you feel like playing a death simulator.

The worst part is, every mechanic you come up with to stop me from gaming the system is just another system for me to figure out how to game. Soon enough you'll be back here asking them to change the changes. It's a never ending cycle because I'm never going to stop testing the boundaries of the mechanics.

There's good news tho. If someone runs a server they decide their server's rules. I either obey those rules or I get banned. Impose rules on your server and put in the effort to enforce them. Personal preferences are best dealt with like that, not by imposing them on the community as a whole.

Also, Benevolent27, I notice you tend to bring up immersion a lot in the suggestions section. That's a word that more often than not is used in place of saying "my personal preference." As an example, if you're walking down my hallway and I turn on a lump of force fields while your standing in it then it would be totally "immersive" if they sliced your astronaut into little pieces and sent you back to your undeathinator.
    I'm not really sure why you seem so offended, just because I'm bouncing some ideas off the wall. You act like my suggestion is some sort of personal attack against you and your way of playing the game. Let me make something clear, nobody has to agree with any of my ideas, but I'd appreciate it if you actually talked about the ideas I proposed rather than attacking me personally. I am not a dictator, and I don't personally attack anyone for their ideas, whether I agree with them or not. Perhaps you should do the same.

Now, what is it that has you so offended? Was it my proposal to implement hacking of doors/turrets? Astronaut holographic diversions? Bubble shields?

To address some of your concerns.. First off, I'm not asking the developers to "stop" anything or to impose my will on anyone.. If people like my ideas and/or the developers like my ideas, then I hope people will talk about them, help refine them, and maybe some will go toward making the game more fun for myself and other people. Secondly, why would I suggest to the developers to remove core parts of the game just to serve my own personal preferences (and where the heck was I doing that here)? There are priorities. Progress from refinement, which means adding and subtracting from the game. But removing core parts of a game should ONLY be done when absolutely necessary AND (I believe) those core functions should be replaced with something better. Personally, I find the ability to move from core to core to be better than having boarding be made more viable. I don't think boarding SHOULD BE a giant part of the game, but at the same time, I do enjoy it. It is fun. I just think it needs some work. Also, if it wasn't obvious to you, the ideas I posted were by no means supposed a complete solution. I was just focusing on a few of the obstacles that make boarding less viable, particularly doors and turrets. My suggestions add new challenges and difficulties to overcome, but which I believe also provides the means for boarding to be more feasible (but not completely feasible).

Now, you do bring up an interesting obstacle in boarding, which I believe does need a solution in order for boarding to be more viable. It is quite possible to isolate a core from hostile astronauts, either by only being reachable only by teleporters or by jumping to the core from another core. That is a pretty big obstacle for a boarding party, right? I'd approach this problem first by trying to come up with something new, not removing core elements of the game. Did you notice that I did not suggest removing turrets from the game? (Because that would have been dumb?) So, first, we'd need to figure out what possibilities are currently available in game. I think if I was boarding a ship with a buried core and I didn't want to destroy their whole ship, then I'd use a warhead spear to basically drill into ship's exterior down to the core room, then I would board it. So now the question becomes, is this a good enough solution? Well, I don't know, I'd kind of like a solution that doesn't involve me having to drill into their ship, but, for lack of a better option.. Maybe this will suffice. But then what of their faction module? What if it's buried somewhere deep within the ship? I could drill down and force the pilot out of the core, I guess.. But what of actually taking over the ship? Hmm.. Perhaps a the ship could be taken over by hacking into the core of the ship to take over the faction module (rather than having to destroy the faction module). And to get into the cabin.. How to balance this? Perhaps there could be a mobile teleporter that allows astronauts to make small leaps directly into the cabin? Hmm.. I don't know if I like that either. Might make boarding a bit too easy. What would you propose?

Now, I feel I should restate this. The whole point of this forum is to make suggestions. These are ideas that people come up with, which they think might be fun in the game. Of course I am going to suggest something that I *personally* would like. But I don't just suggest changes based on my own personal preferences. Every idea I come up with has applications for other people as well. How about we have constructive conversation, and leave the personal attacks to 4chan.

Thank you for your time. :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464053574,1464053358][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Is boarding even a thing in SM?
    It sure is. Though it needs some work. See the news thread from the devs, StarMade v0.19282: Putting more fun into battles. Also, boarding!
    [DOUBLEPOST=1464054387][/DOUBLEPOST]
    As for hacking doors, I think you are thinking too small. Imagine hacking all doors at once, opening them all up. A clear path to anywhere on the ship. Furthermore, opening all doors might tend to open up some tender areas to hostile ships on the outside. On some designs, opening all doors would be devastating.

Holographic projections would be a great way to distract turrets inside Starmade.

I don't really appreciate the idea of a temporarily impervious shield system for astronauts. Why can't I use this on my ship? And chain-charge them so that my ship is permanently invincible? No, I'd rather leave such a game mechanic out of Starmade altogether, to keep it immersive.

Remote hacking would be good, but it just doesn't feel right if there's not some sort of terminal to hack into. Realistically, you could rip off a wall panel, find control cables, and start hacking away, but that seems too arbitrary. Not sci-fi enough for this game. Maybe system blocks, like shields and capacitors could double as hackable terminals. It's just that they don't have the look of something you would hack. They tend to look like energy waveguides. I guess it would be better than nothing, but it just doesn't seem immersive and fun to me.

On the other hand, if you were able to give NPC crew commands to hack, it would seem reasonable to see them start hacking anywhere, as long as their hacking effect was extremely limited. (They shouldn't be able to open all doors or take over all turrets in a random hallway. It would probably need to be one system, and limited to something within a certain radius.)
    For hacking the whole ship's door system, I agree. I suggested this very thing in my thread, "Adding some excitement to combat - Small Ships - DOT Weapons - Hacking and more!" :)

I agree with your assessment of a bubble shield. That was just something I came up with off-the-cuff. You bring up a good point of why it wouldn't be viable. But this does bring me to another idea, which would be a personal shielding unit. It would allow you to absorb some of the shots of a turret (or other damage). This could be useful for combat vs other astronauts, walking on surfaces that have lava, and also for pirates who like to board ships. :) Perhaps astronauts could have up to 500 shields or so? Maybe make different units.. some have more shields but slow down the astronaut's movement? Perhaps there could also be jetpacks and a player has to balance their need of shields with mobility?

For hacking consoles, StarMade doesn't really have the infrastructure for that right now. They'd need to basically make doors only work via a console for this to be implemented and I just don't see this happening (nor would I want that, to be honest). Is there another option, besides hacking being "wireless" or directly done onto a plex door? If there aren't, should it just be left out? But then what other solutions might there to make boarding more possible? Personally, I don't think it would be the end of the world if someone could just hack a plex door without having to use a console to do it. They could use a device that looks kind of like a build inhibitor. They stand there and hold down the button, and after a while the door flies open. I would suggest hacking be an option for server admins though. I believe every feature should be an option to allow more diverse gameplay.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not really sure why you seem so offended...
    That's how I talk. You may interpret it however you feel like but it remains how I talk.

You act like my suggestion is some sort of personal attack against you and your way of playing the game.
    Let's be honest here, when you're suggesting changing the mechanics of the game to prevent/mitigate some aspect of it you don't like but other people do you are in fact asking the devs to restrict other people's way of playing this sandbox game.

The thing is, I agree, interior space filled with doors is cheesy and I'm not a fan of it. So I'll play on servers where the rules say not to do it, and the people that want to do it will play on servers that allow it. Problem solved without needing any additional development resources allocated to it.

but I'd appreciate it if you actually talked about the ideas I proposed rather than attacking me personally.
    I did. I provided multiple examples of why creating mechanics to stop people from filling their ship with doors is pointless. You appear to be offended by devil's advocacy. That's too bad because devil's advocacy is a valid position to argue from in any debated topic.

The closest thing to a "personal attack" in my post was a critique of using the concept of "immersion" as an argument in favor of anything. I stand by that critique. Immersion is subjective and my idea of what constitutes it is just as valid as, and is often going to be dichotomous to, everyone else's. Which renders an appeal to immersion an unconvincing argument that only works on people who already agree with the suggestion it's being used to argue in favor of.

Please refrain from characterizing animosity towards a particular type of argument, reasoning, or position as animosity towards the person making/holding it. If everyone took a critique of their arguments, reasoning, and positions as personal attacks on themselves all debates would degrade into an endless exchange of moral high ground fallacies.

Now, what is it that has you so offended? Was it my proposal to implement hacking of doors/turrets? Astronaut holographic diversions? Bubble shields?
    At this point I actually am offended by your choosing to assume offence. I'll just have to shrug that off though. I suggest you do the same.

This thread was about using build inhibitors and/or some other methods to stop people from closing doors that fill up the internal cavities of their ships and trapping people. Everything I said in my post prior to quoting you is directed at that notion and is meant to establish it's futility (as the saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat"). That is why I didn't start the post by quoting you.

Once I quote you, I am specifically addressing you for the paragraph following the quote, and then again addressing you by name for the final paragraph. Although, when I refer to server-side rules being a better method of achieving the desired goal of not having ships flying around with door-filled interiors I admit that is somewhat directed at you as you can implement and enforce any rules you like on your server.

Now as for hacking doors. Blast doors are called blast doors because they are more resistant to damage than plex/glass doors. How long will this hacking take? If it's more time than it takes to shoot through a door why would anyone hack a door? If it's less then whats the point in even having heavily armored doors when the meta is hacking doors open instead of blasting through them?

Come to think of it, how is it you'd be hacking them anyways? Have you never watched a sci-fi and wondered who these people are that think its a good idea to put wireless controls or convenient access panels on the outside of their blast doors for any techie armed with a futuristic ipad to hack into?

As for hacking turrets, technically that's tangential to this threads title, but I'll bite. How's that going to work? Would I be able to hack each of your ship's turrets and render them useless without firing a single shot at any of them? Would it just be the anti-personnel ones? What if I just set my internal turrets to act like external ones, or to have no AI at all and then just switch over to their cores to manually shoot intruders with them?

As for astronaut holographic diversions. Thumbs up. The best way to get a person past a mounted gunnery position is to overwhelm/distract it by providing more targets to shoot at than it can possibly take out. Body armor and expendable npc "red shirts" are also a potential solution to the problem of single module turrets being powerful enough to insta-kill astronauts.

Someone already covered bubble shields and the problems inherent in trying to implement them in SM and I'd just be repeating them. I do wish they were feasible without building a giant bubble of forcefields around my ship (which i've done before).

My suggestions add new challenges and difficulties to overcome
    Internal space filled with blast doors is already a challenge and difficult to overcome. Solutions are available in game. Clear enough space to spawn a cube and place a cannon on it, start carving your way through. Carry a rocket launcher, clear enough space that you can fire it without the blast radius hitting you, and cut tunnels through the doors. Suggesting doors be hackable, or be unable to close when a build inhibitor is nearby, are things that make blast doors less challenging and less difficult to overcome.

Now, you do bring up an interesting obstacle in boarding, which I believe does need a solution in order for boarding to be more viable.
    If the person who's ship you are boarding is not interested in the idea of having FPS firefights on their decks then boarding their ship won't be viable. They'll line the walls with weapons outputs that fire using logic, have no interior at all, etc. Someone that doesn't want anyone to ever take their ship by boarding is going to find a way to make it nigh-on impossible to do so no matter how many new mechanics are implemented to try and make it more feasible. Boarding is only something that's ever going to happen when everyone involved, the borders and the boarded, like the idea of it.

But then what of their faction module? What if it's buried somewhere deep within the ship?
    If they want to hide their faction module and make you carve their ship to pieces to find it, they will. It doesn't matter if thats cheesy. If person A wants people to be able to capture their ships in a mostly intact state, then they'll build their ships that way. If person B wants people to have to destroy most of their ship just to be able capture the tattered remains, then they'll build their ships that way. That is the nature of the sandbox.

If that doesn't sit right with someone, they can set up their own sandbox (a server) and make it a rule that faction modules have to be in a visible position. Look how the current ship building contest handles this very issue. There is a rule requiring the module to be visible. That means that person B still gets to build ships that have to be mostly destroyed in order to capture them, they just cannot submit those ship to the contest. That's a problem they solved without any need to add or remove mechanics from the game.

How about we have constructive conversation, and leave the personal attacks to 4chan.
    ...because suggesting I'm acting like this is 4chan is in no way a personal attack, right?

How about we have a constructive conversation, and leave over-sensitivity and spurious claims of personal attacks to twitter and tumblr?

There, now we've both done it.

Thank you for your time.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That's how I talk. You may interpret it however you feel like but it remains how I talk.

Let's be honest here, when you're suggesting changing the mechanics of the game to prevent/mitigate some aspect of it you don't like but other people do you are in fact asking the devs to restrict other people's way of playing this sandbox game.

The thing is, I agree, interior space filled with doors is cheesy and I'm not a fan of it. So I'll play on servers where the rules say not to do it, and the people that want to do it will play on servers that allow it. Problem solved without needing any additional development resources allocated to it.

I did. I provided multiple examples of why creating mechanics to stop people from filling their ship with doors is pointless. You appear to be offended by devil's advocacy. That's too bad because devil's advocacy is a valid position to argue from in any debated topic.

The closest thing to a "personal attack" in my post was a critique of using the concept of "immersion" as an argument in favor of anything. I stand by that critique. Immersion is subjective and my idea of what constitutes it is just as valid as, and is often going to be dichotomous to, everyone else's. Which renders an appeal to immersion an unconvincing argument that only works on people who already agree with the suggestion it's being used to argue in favor of.

Please refrain from characterizing animosity towards a particular type of argument, reasoning, or position as animosity towards the person making/holding it. If everyone took a critique of their arguments, reasoning, and positions as personal attacks on themselves all debates would degrade into an endless exchange of moral high ground fallacies.

At this point I actually am offended by your choosing to assume offence. I'll just have to shrug that off though. I suggest you do the same.

This thread was about using build inhibitors and/or some other methods to stop people from closing doors that fill up the internal cavities of their ships and trapping people. Everything I said in my post prior to quoting you is directed at that notion and is meant to establish it's futility (as the saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat"). That is why I didn't start the post by quoting you.

Once I quote you, I am specifically addressing you for the paragraph following the quote, and then again addressing you by name for the final paragraph. Although, when I refer to server-side rules being a better method of achieving the desired goal of not having ships flying around with door-filled interiors I admit that is somewhat directed at you as you can implement and enforce any rules you like on your server.

Now as for hacking doors. Blast doors are called blast doors because they are more resistant to damage than plex/glass doors. How long will this hacking take? If it's more time than it takes to shoot through a door why would anyone hack a door? If it's less then whats the point in even having heavily armored doors when the meta is hacking doors open instead of blasting through them?

Come to think of it, how is it you'd be hacking them anyways? Have you never watched a sci-fi and wondered who these people are that think its a good idea to put wireless controls or convenient access panels on the outside of their blast doors for any techie armed with a futuristic ipad to hack into?

As for hacking turrets, technically that's tangential to this threads title, but I'll bite. How's that going to work? Would I be able to hack each of your ship's turrets and render them useless without firing a single shot at any of them? Would it just be the anti-personnel ones? What if I just set my internal turrets to act like external ones, or to have no AI at all and then just switch over to their cores to manually shoot intruders with them?

As for astronaut holographic diversions. Thumbs up. The best way to get a person past a mounted gunnery position is to overwhelm/distract it by providing more targets to shoot at than it can possibly take out. Body armor and expendable npc "red shirts" are also a potential solution to the problem of single module turrets being powerful enough to insta-kill astronauts.

Someone already covered bubble shields and the problems inherent in trying to implement them in SM and I'd just be repeating them. I do wish they were feasible without building a giant bubble of forcefields around my ship (which i've done before).

Internal space filled with blast doors is already a challenge and difficult to overcome. Solutions are available in game. Clear enough space to spawn a cube and place a cannon on it, start carving your way through. Carry a rocket launcher, clear enough space that you can fire it without the blast radius hitting you, and cut tunnels through the doors. Suggesting doors be hackable, or be unable to close when a build inhibitor is nearby, are things that make blast doors less challenging and less difficult to overcome.

If the person who's ship you are boarding is not interested in the idea of having FPS firefights on their decks then boarding their ship won't be viable. They'll line the walls with weapons outputs that fire using logic, have no interior at all, etc. Someone that doesn't want anyone to ever take their ship by boarding is going to find a way to make it nigh-on impossible to do so no matter how many new mechanics are implemented to try and make it more feasible. Boarding is only something that's ever going to happen when everyone involved, the borders and the boarded, like the idea of it.

If they want to hide their faction module and make you carve their ship to pieces to find it, they will. It doesn't matter if thats cheesy. If person A wants people to be able to capture their ships in a mostly intact state, then they'll build their ships that way. If person B wants people to have to destroy most of their ship just to be able capture the tattered remains, then they'll build their ships that way. That is the nature of the sandbox.

If that doesn't sit right with someone, they can set up their own sandbox (a server) and make it a rule that faction modules have to be in a visible position. Look how the current ship building contest handles this very issue. There is a rule requiring the module to be visible. That means that person B still gets to build ships that have to be mostly destroyed in order to capture them, they just cannot submit those ship to the contest. That's a problem they solved without any need to add or remove mechanics from the game.

...because suggesting I'm acting like this is 4chan is in no way a personal attack, right?

How about we have a constructive conversation, and leave over-sensitivity and spurious claims of personal attacks to twitter and tumblr?

There, now we've both done it.

Thank you for your time.
    I don't know man, you're telling me I'm "dictating" and your sarcasm really wasn't very helpful. You're making it seem like my suggestion to add features means I will suddenly start demanding the devs take away all these core features of the game based on my own personal preferences.. I don't really see why that is helpful. That is a personal attack on me, definitely not what I was suggesting, and is not really a response to my suggestions, which were just possible new features, like hacking, bubble shields, and astronaut holographic projections. None of these were requests to remove any features from the game. All of what you said was a red herring, where you put words into my mouth that I did not say, and then you argued against it. This is not constructive criticism.

If that's how you talk, then I don't necessarily want to engage with you here. I'm here for throwing ideas against the wall and constructive criticism of those ideas, not senseless arguments and to bash each other. I read the first part of your response here and I decided it wasn't really my cup of tea.. I really don't want to argue. Like my ideas or hate them, it's your prerogative. Peace, love, and hair grease.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    which were just possible new features, like hacking, bubble shields, and astronaut holographic projections. None of these were requests to remove any features from the game.
    I just filled a hallways full of doors (hereinafter referred to as: The Feature), and people have trouble cutting through them (hereinafter referred to as: The Desired Result). The suggestions made so far are ones that either make it no longer possible to use The Feature (example: build inhibited doors) and/or make is so using The Feature becomes futile by rending The Desired Result ineffective (example: hacking doors). Only reasoning actually put forth for removing The Feature and/or rendering The Desired Result ineffective = some people don't like it/find it annoying (of which you are one).

I am not personally attacking you, I am rationally assessing the argument, the suggestions, and the outcomes were those suggestions implemented. I am also providing you a realistic, already existing, and immediately implementable solution that will solve the problem for you without having to remove The Feature, or render The Desired Result less effective: Enforce some rules on your server.

You are completely ignoring the arguments, you are completely ignoring the already extant solution at your disposal, and you are instead attempting to characterize a valid criticism of your position as "a personal attack." You are insisting on seeing your position, your reasoning for holding that position, and your own suggested solutions as being synonymous with you as a person. I will not cater to such thinking, it serves considerably less use than sarcasm does.

I am going to say this once, and just once. Stop attempting to label me as a abuser and position yourself as a helpless victim. Attempting to push a narrative that describes me as someone who is abusing you as a person for having criticized your position, your reasoning, and your proposed solutions is not an attempt to address my position, my reasoning, or my proposed solution. It is character assassination.

I really don't want to argue.
    Exactly.