Brainstorm This Adding some excitement to combat - Small Ships - DOT Weapons - Hacking and more!

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok, hello there. Sit down and have some tea.

So with the current state of thrust, weapons available, and turrets, there really isn't a whole lot that a smaller ship can do in most of the PVP fights I've seen. What I've noticed is that large titan ships just sit there and rely on their turrets to kill everything. They don't even need to turn. The current system encourages boring fights between large ships that are also very laggy. We need to give people a reason to enter the cockpit of a smaller ship and fly around like madmen to help bring down their opponent. Not only would it be more FUN but it would be a lot less laggy for servers.

Now, I don't think a small fighter SHOULD be able to bring down a large titan very easily, BUT, I do think they should be able to have some effect if they are skilled enough.

That said, here are some of my ideas on how I think we can make small ships more viable:

1. Allow shields to weaken FASTER if a specific part of a ship is hit over and over. For example, a small fighter might not do much damage at all when first attacking, but if they keep hitting the same spot on their opponent, their enemy's shields weaken faster. The fighter still has to worry about possibly getting blown out of the sky by turrets, but if they fly carefully and their aim is true, they can become significant. If they have terrible aim though.. well they are just gnats.

2. Give ships a kind of flare gun. Any missile locked on would retarget the flare instead. Turrets would also target these flares. We've seen this in many flight combat simulators because it adds a level of skill to the game. With StarMade, perhaps the "Flare" could be something a little more unique, like a device that simulates their core signature. When activated, it shoots out and would actually look like their ship to everybody who is targeting it (though their real ship would still be quite visible). Perhaps a player's ship would also need to power down completely for a moment for it to be effective, and their true signature bleeps off the radar for a moment while their fake signature pops up. The "flare" would remain active for 10 seconds.

3. Give ships a combat scanner, which is passive and tells a pilot when missiles are locked on. It would flash a warning in red. It might also tell them when someone is targeting them. It does not have any active ability. It can only be turned on and off, using a small amount of power while on.

4. Implement DOT (Damage Over Time) and status effect weapons. The purpose of this in most games is that it introduces a play style of hit and run. This is an important tactic of nimble fighters. For all of these types of weapons, the projectiles need to be slow enough for smaller ships to dodge, but larger ships would have a much harder time since they are bigger, slower moving targets. Here are a few examples of new weapons I propose:
    A. The Shield Disruptor.
    This slow-moving projectile crackles and glows as it moves forward and when it hits, hit damages shield regeneration. It would stack and last a certain amount of time, perhaps five seconds. If you keep hitting the same spot, over and over, it would do a slight exponential amount of damage for each additional hit, so long as the effect does not wear off before the next hit happens. The downside of this effect is that it is a rather slow projectile with a short range. They would also be dumb-fire. No lock-on. This weapon would NOT be very useful against small fighters (even if equipped on a turret), but small fighters could use it well on a large ship.
    B. Energy Distruptor
    Each module does 5 energy damage per second, over 5 seconds. The hits stacks with the previous amount of disruption and lengthens the time of the effect from previous hits. The difference between this and a shield disruptor is that it doesn't matter where you hit the enemy, it works the same. So a small fighter could actually completely disable a large ship's power regeneration if they kept hitting them long enough and does not allow the status to come off.
    C. Thruster Disruptor
    This works the same as an energy disruptor, except it affects thrusters. It could be strengthened with a push/pull/stop module as a tertiary effect, which would affect what TYPE of thrust it affects. A push module oriented forward as a tertiary effect would affect the forward/backward thrust of a ship. A stop module would make it affect the ability of a ship to brake. A push module facing backwards would make it affect the ability of a ship to rotate.
    D. Turret Discombobulator
    What it does is damages the ability of turrets to turn on their axis, by reducing the effectiveness of the rail mass enhancers. The shots would HAVE TO hit a turret, not the main ship to be efffective. These shots would also be a bit faster than the disruptor varieties, since turrets tend to move around a bit. It could also be modified with a push or pull module (facing a certain direction), which would change the effect to make a turret spaz out, turning in that direction involuntarily and disrupting it's aim. With this, I would also suggest a change in how rail mass enhancers work. Turrets would have a move speed proportionate to the amount of mass enhancers provided. So if there is 50% of the required mass enhancers, it turns at 50% speed, not 1% speed as it is now. The effect stays for as long as the turret keeps getting hit, and the effect grows larger and larger. If the DOT comes off however.. the turret regains full functionality.

5. Implement hacking.
    This could basically be a series of mini-games - or simply a hack requiring time. You have to get very close to an enemy ship and then start hacking them. You can also be counter-hacked by a person on the ship you are attempting to hack. It would work fastest while in astronaut mode and touching the ship. While you are hacking, you are unaware of the outside world (unless you die). The larger a ship is, the harder it is to hack. You can hack their shields, energy regen, thrusters, open all doors on the ship, or disable all AI turrets - you choose. If you succeed, shields/energy/thrusters are brought down entirely for 30 seconds, all the doors on the ship open, or all turrets are turned off for 30 seconds (and then reset to their previous state). If you fail, you lose nothing. However if the enemy ship being hacked had a "Feedback Computer" installed, it sends a power arc toward the hacker upon an unsuccessful hack. It would do significant damage to shields and power if the hacker was in a ship and would do significant damage to an astronaut, possibly killing them. It only affects the person who attempted the hack, not everyone else nearby. The more modules attached to this feedback computer, the stronger the effect would be. This would encourage smaller ships and boarding parties with the intent of hacking! Also, a combat scanner would tell a pilot if someone is attempting to hack them.

Hacking Mini-Game Ideas (New! 01-20-16):
    There are so many possibilities. Many games throughout the years have introduced mini-games for such things as lock picking, hacking, etc. So, what would be appropriate for StarMade? I am definitely curious to know other player's thoughts on this, but here's what I have so far for some thoughts.
    A. Matrix-style
    Hacking:
    This is arguably the most complicated route to go, but I think it would be pretty cool. You plug in and enter an alternative world that has three dimensional properties. This "world" would be procedurally generated, with a virtual base being the target. Weapon systems, shields, doors, and turret AI systems would have physical counterparts which would need to be disabled by the hacker. The larger these systems are on the real ship, the more difficult it would be. Perhaps the virtual manifistation could be a modular base that is like a maze. You have to navigate through it to find the system you want to affect. The larger the mass of the ship, the larger the maze is. When you find the system you want to affect, the hacker holds down their right mouse button to initiate deactivation. The larger the system is, the longer it takes. Perhaps the virtual base could also be player designed, being docked segments that HAVE TO comply with certain rules (such as being a certain size, have a docking port on different edges and docking modules on the edges. It could be configured that players also start in a small fighter ship in this universe (which they cannot exit) and instead of right clicking on systems, they have to destroy them. More than one hacker can join this virtual world at a time, but when all hackers have left, it resets to it's default state.
    Counter-Hacking:
    To banish the hacker, a member of the ship being hacked plugs into the virtual world equipped with a weapon, and has to kill the hacker.

B. 2-D Asteroids Style
    Hacking:
    A 2-dimensional game opens up and a person is piloting a simple 2-d ship that shoots straight shots. They have to fly around and find the systems floating around. The larger the ship they are hacking, the more asteroids are around to impede their traveling and the farther apart the different ship systems are. There might also be somewhat dumb AI controlled ships flying around, working as the ship's natural self-defense system. Once the hacker finds the ship system they want, they have to destroy it.
    Counter-Hacking:
    A member of the ship being hacked enters the world with their own ship and a pointer directing them to where the hacker is.

C. A Simple Hacking Console
    Hacking:
    This would not be a mini-game at all. The hacker simply selects the system they want and starts the hack. The larger the ship is and vitality of the system, the longer it takes. For example, how long it takes to hack the doors would simply rely on the mass of the ship for the calculation. Shields would rely on the amount of shields, shield rechargers, AND mass - it should probably take longer than opening doors. Disabling turrets would rely on the number and mass of attached turrets, not taking into account the main ship size. Etc.
    Counter-Hacking:
    To counter hack, a member of the ship being hacked has to respond within a certain timeframe and initiate the counter hack. If they don't respond fast enough, however, there will be nothing they can do. Perhaps it could show an animated progress as it "searches for the hacker." When the hacker is found, they are booted from the system (and punished if a Feedback Computer is installed on the ship).

D. A memory game - One Example
    Hacking:
    A ship would have a certain amount of points necessary for each system to be disabled, calculated based on the strength of the system. For example, disabling shields may take 10,000 points on a particularly strong ship, 2,500 to open the doors, 6,000 for disabling turrets, etc. The hacker has to play a memory game, where they flip over different panels which have symbols on them. They have to match them up to other ones of the same type, getting points for each successful try. When they reach the number they need, options to hack the different systems open up.
    Counter-Hacking:
    The counter-hacker could initiate a counter-hack, which would "search for the hacker," (like the simple console hacking), but with a twist. They can change the order the panels are in to further twart the hacker, there perhaps being a cooldown time per change they make before they can make another change.

6. Charge-Up Modules - New! (Added 01-20-16)
    I got this idea when responding to Kookster, regarding damage beams having a kind of DOT effect. His idea lead me to another idea, which he seemed to like! So I expanded on it a bit! The goal of these modules would be to give an advantage to PLAYERS who control the weapon system, but would not be used well by AI. They would be similar to overdrive modules, being a tertiary effect, but instead of doing flat bonus damage (by 2x) and increasing power usage (by 5x), they change the way the weapon needs to be used. If you hold the fire button down, it charges up. Depending on the type of weapon it is attached to, it either needs to be charged up BEFORE being fired or charges up AS you fire it. It would modify existing combos, such as missile/cannon, missile/damage beam, etc. requiring more or less time to charge up fully. AI would be unable to utilize the charge-up effect, except for damage beams. I'll detail below the effects for each weapon type:
    A. Missiles:
    Holding down the fire button will first use up the amount of power needed to fire the weapon, and then continuously use power as it charges up. When you release the fire button, a larger, faster moving missile screams through the sky. The damage, speed, and explosion effect are increased. (I highly recommend adding some sound effects as well, like a rumbling noise as it charges and a BOOM as it is launched.)
    B. Damage Beam:
    When firing the weapon, it creates an energy feedback loop for as long as it continues to hit the target (up to a maximum effect). The beam becomes larger, more powerful, and would need more energy to keep the beam stabilized. The higher the effect percentage, the greater the effect can be (but also longer to achieve it). It would use less power than an overdrive module to achieve the same damage bonus, but if you lose your target for even a few seconds, it loses that feedback charge. The natural counter for smaller ships would be to dodge these hits or if evading turrets, use a radarjammer or flare to disrupt the turret's aim.
    C. Cannons:
    These would work similarly to Missiles, except the speed, damage, and penetration of the projectile is changed. The projectile would not grow in size.
    D. Damage Pulse:
    These would do more damage, have a larger range, and would possibly gain a moderate push pulse type effect too.
    E. Push Pulse:
    These would have more push effect, have a larger range, and might also cause the enemy ship to lose a certain amount of thrust for a moment.

So, these additions to the game I think would require balancing, of course, but it would give pause to anybody who relies on brute force alone. It would encourage some pretty interesting fights. As always, thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thank you for reading. :)

Edit: Added a fourth DOT weapon, the Turret Discombobulator, better explained the purpose of slow projectiles for DOT/status effect weapons, and added a new section for "Charge-Up Modules."
    Edit: Expanded on hacking, giving some suggestions for mini-games, including some of the ideas suggested by other forum members, and added some more effects hacking might have.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    +1 to DoT weapons/effects!

I do think that electronic warfare needs an upgrade from simply passive jam vs. active scan as well. I've read a lot of good suggestions on ways to do that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    For the DoT effects, I would suggest making the number of modules to power of effect a square root function or put a cap on it. It would prevent someone from outfitting a titan with a massive power DoT, fire it so the enemy doesn't have enough power to fire their weapons or research their shields, and then let the turrets destroy the enemy while they have damaged power.

Reaction score
    or make it so that the more mass your ship has, the less damage the DOT does. that way, titans using DOTs on other titans would be useless and the smaller ships would work the best

Reactions: MacThule

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    More electronic warfare is extremely needed, +1 to hacking and DoT! Smaller ships already deal more damage to bigger ships btw. ;)

Reaction score
    Hacking and DoT FTW! Maybe give a purpose to the secorative computer blocks, each one on board would add some sort of encryption for an astronaut to hack through. also, counter measures can work right now, they are just very laggy and distracting. adding modules for them would be helpful.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the problem with the same spot bonus is if a ship's turrets also target the same spot over and over again, technically it is a small 'ship'. So how do you prevent a capital ship from covering itself in small turrets that target the same spot? maybe some way of detecting the mass of the ships it's connected to...

Lecic, recently suggested a PD weapon and I expanded upon it as a countermeasures effect, but I was ignored... meh
    :( (cries inside)

DOT might be better as a effect rather than a weapon, but other than that I like it. Some ideas myself;
    Chemical effect, will cause DOT to any object that enters its acid cloud that remains at the target point for a minute or two.
    Biological effect, will cause DOT to any nearby object around the point of targeting, sticking to objects as bio-engineered microbes eat away at the object, but die due to environmental conditions (can't survive for long in a vacuum).​

Combat scanner I think will just be added to the ship's HUD

Hacking I also like, would be FUN to sneak up to an enemy capital ship in a perma cloaked ship and hack it as if it was the matrix! I do have some hacking ideas;
    Back hacking, the pilot has the ability to back hack the hacker, but this tends to be time consuming as he has to search for the hacked point. For minor things it would be better just to wait for the hack to wear off. If you spot it in time, the pilot can preemptively stop a hack but that a big IF. The larger the ship the more systems the computer has to monitor vis it is much harder for a capital ship then it is for a corvette to detect, stop, and reverse a hack.
    logic system disruption, temporarily freezes logic systems as they are
    command system disruption, the pilot's HUD disappears, commands can still be given thou, but things like energy and shield lvls are gone.
    turret motor disruption, turrets can't move for a short while, great with a properly timed flanking maneuvers
    User change (for hijacking), a more direct means to ejecting a player from the ship, note: he will be forced out, faster then you can leave the hacking screen so it's best used with a buddy. However it's also the second hardest and the most time consuming thing to hack! the pilot will be locked out for a minute too.
    Mainframe, you can hack the mainframe itself, cut out the middle man and take control of the ship from your access point but it's the absolute hardest thing to hack! Can only be done while in astronaut mode and leave you exposed in the open, even if you succeed. If you fail at this, any feedback will most likely kill you! If you managed to succeed however, a few things will happen at once; the pilot will immediately be alerted to the take over, along with losing control of the ship to the hacker! Not only do you take control but factions will flip too! So the turrets, linked fighters and bombers, ect. will change targets to match the hacker's faction. If the hacker is killed or back hacked both the control and factions will flip back to normal.​

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Along these lines, something that would be cool would be the ability to disrupt ship functions from afar. To keep this from being OP, it could remove shield regen or something similar. This would give a purpose to defending a certain ship. Just a thought.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    the problem with the same spot bonus is if a ship's turrets also target the same spot over and over again, technically it is a small 'ship'. So how do you prevent a capital ship from covering itself in small turrets that target the same spot? maybe some way of detecting the mass of the ships it's connected to...

Lecic, recently suggested a PD weapon and I expanded upon it as a countermeasures effect, but I was ignored... meh
    :( (cries inside)

DOT might be better as a effect rather than a weapon, but other than that I like it. Some ideas myself;
    Chemical effect, will cause DOT to any object that enters its acid cloud that remains at the target point for a minute or two.
    Biological effect, will cause DOT to any nearby object around the point of targeting, sticking to objects as bio-engineered microbes eat away at the object, but die due to environmental conditions (can't survive for long in a vacuum).​

Combat scanner I think will just be added to the ship's HUD

Hacking I also like, would be FUN to sneak up to an enemy capital ship in a perma cloaked ship and hack it as if it was the matrix! I do have some hacking ideas;
    Back hacking, the pilot has the ability to back hack the hacker, but this tends to be time consuming as he has to search for the hacked point. For minor things it would be better just to wait for the hack to wear off. If you spot it in time, the pilot can preemptively stop a hack but that a big IF. The larger the ship the more systems the computer has to monitor vis it is much harder for a capital ship then it is for a corvette to detect, stop, and reverse a hack.
    logic system disruption, temporarily freezes logic systems as they are
    command system disruption, the pilot's HUD disappears, commands can still be given thou, but things like energy and shield lvls are gone.
    turret motor disruption, turrets can't move for a short while, great with a properly timed flanking maneuvers
    User change (for hijacking), a more direct means to ejecting a player from the ship, note: he will be forced out, faster then you can leave the hacking screen so it's best used with a buddy. However it's also the second hardest and the most time consuming thing to hack! the pilot will be locked out for a minute too.
    Mainframe, you can hack the mainframe itself, cut out the middle man and take control of the ship from your access point but it's the absolute hardest thing to hack! Can only be done while in astronaut mode and leave you exposed in the open, even if you succeed. If you fail at this, any feedback will most likely kill you! If you managed to succeed however, a few things will happen at once; the pilot will immediately be alerted to the take over, along with losing control of the ship to the hacker! Not only do you take control but factions will flip too! So the turrets, linked fighters and bombers, ect. will change targets to match the hacker's faction. If the hacker is killed or back hacked both the control and factions will flip back to normal.​
    Ooh, I do like the acid cloud idea. One of the main tenants of my idea is to focus on AIMing and movement as being important parts of combat. An acid cloud type weapon would force players to have to move around, or face the consequences.

Now, about turrets hitting the same spot. From my experience, turrets tend to move a bit while they fire. But if they don't, I'm sure they could be programmed to do so a bit by the dev's to ensure they don't get the stacked damage (much at least). Also, the DOT weapons would have slow projectiles, and would be ineffective vs small ships. Turrets would not be able to use them well against ships that keep moving. However, smaller ships could use them effectively vs large ships, or if they predictively aim and time things well, they could use them well against any other size ship. It would also encourage smaller ships to help protect larger ships and prevent their enemies from repeatedly hitting the same spots. This would require coordination in the defense.

For hacking, I think there are a world of possibilies out there. I like some of your suggestions. I really like the concept of "back hacking," though I would call it something like "counter hacking." It would encourage more than one player to ride on a capital ship, giving the extra player an important station to man. For the actual hacking, what form do you think it should take? I'm almost thinking if could be like plugging into a virtual universe, which has a base to assault. The larger the systems of the target ship are, the more powerful they are in the virtual world. So, you have to actually blow up the systems to disable them. (I know this would introduce a whole new form of combat and would be rather large in scope, but I'm just imagining here. :))
    [DOUBLEPOST=1453193556,1453192330][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Along these lines, something that would be cool would be the ability to disrupt ship functions from afar. To keep this from being OP, it could remove shield regen or something similar. This would give a purpose to defending a certain ship. Just a thought.
    At the root of this, I really do like this concept because it would help increase coordination. And I am all about coordination in combat. But I don't know how realistic losing shield regen would be. Perhaps the hack would take power.. But that might discourage small ships from hacking.. Right now, part of the counter is that the person hacking loses all awareness of their surroundings, leaving them quite vulnerable. The reason I think they should be close is because it helps counter the power of hacking. It also makes it possible for the person being hacked to spot the hacker.

What I propose is that the ship have to remain close, but not necessarily be attached. So there could definitely be mobility while hacking, if there is one person piloting a "hacking ship" while a rider is the hacker. But they would need to hug the ship they are hacking, or risk losing the connection. Other ships may assist by distracting the larger ships, providing cover fire, or shooting shield recharge beams at the hacking ship to help keep it alive (being careful not to accidentally bolster the enemy ship's shields.). I think the range at which hacking could occur would need some tweaking, and it could most definitely be a setting available to server admins to change as they see fit so that a universe like the one you suggest could exist.

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    At the root of this, I really do like this concept because it would help increase coordination. And I am all about coordination in combat. But I don't know how realistic losing shield regen would be. Perhaps the hack would take power.. But that might discourage small ships from hacking..
    I do like the power sucking idea. As for your worries about small ships, the power drain could be the square of the ship's mass (or something similar). That would make smaller ships much more efficient at it.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I do like the power sucking idea. As for your worries about small ships, the power drain could be the square of the ship's mass (or something similar). That would make smaller ships much more efficient at it.
    I can see how that could work to encourage the use of smaller ships. I do have to say though that I think whatever measures are taken to balance a game, they should be not just effective, but they should also make sense within the context of the universe they take place in. Artificial constructs detract from the immersion of the game - you want to feel that what you are doing in a game is real. The exception to this is when you make the reality of the game different to our own reality, but it should always make sense in that version of reality. So, in a StarMade universe, why should a larger ship require more power when hacking than a smaller ship? I cannot think of a reason why this should be. I don't think that all of the mechanics of StarMade are completely realistic, but does that mean we should further lessen the realism? I think that the maneuverability of a smaller ship to stay close to the ship being hacked gives the upper hand to smaller ships, providing a balancing factor, and is also completely realistic. You *could* still hack using a larger ship, but good luck staying close enough. I think if a longer range hack was implemented, then there are more better ways to balance it. For example, if you are hacking someone and they detect it, they could have a chance to hack you right back, and if they succeed then YOUR ship is the one disabled. In this way, a larger ship is more of a risk than a smaller ship, and it would encourage people to use smaller ships when remote hacking. Though I still think it should be more of a tactical skill, emphasizing the maneuverability of a smaller ship to stay in range, dodging missiles and such (one person is piloting the ship, another is doing the hacking). I feel this would be more engaging than sitting at a distance. Remote hacking would also completely do away with the idea of an astronaut boarding the ship to hack it. Part of the reason I suggest hacking be more effective when in astronaut mode (since you can tether to the ship, to stay with it), is to further encourage boarding. Right now, I just hide my faction module somewhere and stick a nicely placed damage beam/missile combo with door in front of my ship core, and boarding my ship becomes suicide. Hacking would enable someone to attach themselves to any blind spot on my ship, patch in to the computer system, and upon a successful hack, really mess my day up. I would need to keep alert during a battle, especially if I have a lot to lose in a larger ship.

But I do see your point and I agree that the range at which a hack is possible, and the balancing factors involved, should be configurable by server admins. What sets a sandbox game apart from the rest is the amount of diversity in gameplay. If one server wants to make it so your ship blows up if you unsuccessfully hack someone, let them. If another server only wants to allow astronauts to hack, let them. If the server you play on wants to make hacking cost more energy the larger your ship is, let them. :)

Reaction score
    1. Allow shields to weaken on being focused on a specific part. Yes please.
    2. A flare for drawing off some fire..... Yes Please.
    3. Combat computer, or heck just built in. This would be awesome, perhaps it is green if nothing is targeting you, yellow when someone is targeting, orange on lock, red on incoming missiles?
    4. Maybe make damage beams DoT? Instead of a super quick burst of damage. Yeah that would be awesome.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    1. Allow shields to weaken on being focused on a specific part. Yes please.
    2. A flare for drawing off some fire..... Yes Please.
    3. Combat computer, or heck just built in. This would be awesome, perhaps it is green if nothing is targeting you, yellow when someone is targeting, orange on lock, red on incoming missiles?
    4. Maybe make damage beams DoT? Instead of a super quick burst of damage. Yeah that would be awesome.
    Thank you for your response!

3. Oooh, I like the color system! I think the "red" would need to be flashing and have some urgency to it, to freak the player out a bit.
    4. I think there could be more differentiation made between damage beams and cannons personally. However, one of the pro's of a damage beam is that it hits the target instantly. This makes the weapon exceptionally good for shorter-range turrets, providing a 100% hit rate. This would completely negate the value of the DOT weapon for smaller ships. Piloting and aiming skill would continue to be trumped by turrets. This is why I suggest DOT weapons have slow moving, dumbfire projectiles, because it would take player skill to hit an enemy. The larger the enemy, the easier they are to hit. Turrets firing slow, dumbfire projectiles can also be dodged by a player, provided the ship isn't too big and slow for it's own good.

Reaction score
    Thank you for your response!

3. Oooh, I like the color system! I think the "red" would need to be flashing and have some urgency to it, to freak the player out a bit.
    4. I think there could be more differentiation made between damage beams and cannons personally. However, one of the pro's of a damage beam is that it hits the target instantly. This makes the weapon exceptionally good for shorter-range turrets, providing a 100% hit rate. This would completely negate the value of the DOT weapon for smaller ships. Piloting and aiming skill would continue to be trumped by turrets. This is why I suggest DOT weapons have slow moving, dumbfire projectiles, because it would take player skill to hit an enemy. The larger the enemy, the easier they are to hit. Turrets firing slow, dumbfire projectiles can also be dodged by a player, provided the ship isn't too big and slow for it's own good.
    hmmm I see your point, you don't want to make turrets more powerful. I would still love damage beam to be that, just wondering if there is a way to balance both.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    hmmm I see your point, you don't want to make turrets more powerful. I would still love damage beam to be that, just wondering if there is a way to balance both.
    Well, DOT weapons *could* still be used by a larger ship on a lot of turrets, don't get me wrong. Imagine a bomber flying in and anti-aircraft rounds exploding everywhere. If there are enough projectiles coming from enough vectors, and the pilot isn't moving around enough, they could most definitely have a bad day.

But about the damage beam.. Hmm.. Perhaps it could intensify the longer it remains hitting a target. This would be similar to how hitting the same spot on a ship would do more damage to the shields, but would simply require the weapon to keep hitting something to charge up and stay charged up. This isn't precisely a DOT weapon, but it might provide the modification you desire. The natural counter to this (that smaller ships could use) would be flares and the radar jammer. I think it would also help differentiate the weapon moreso from the cannon/cannon combo. It would work similarly to how a void ray works in StarCraft 2.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1453234650,1453233879][/DOUBLEPOST]Oooh, here's another idea for a DOT weapon. The "Turret discombobulator." What it does is damages the ability of turrets to turn on their axis, by reducing the effectiveness of the rail mass enhancers. It could also be modified with a push or pull module (facing a certain direction) to instead make the turret spaz out, turning in that direction involuntarily. I would also suggest a change how rail mass enhancers work, so that the turrets move in proportion to the amount of mass enhancers provided. So if there are 10% of the required mass enhancers, they move at 10% speed, not 1% speed as it is now. The effect stays for as long as the turret keeps getting hit, and the effect grows larger and larger. If the DOT comes off however.. the turret regains full functionality.

The effect this would have would be to discourage players from simply building very large turrets and relying on them.

Reactions: kookster

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The effect this would have would be to discourage players from simply building very large turrets and relying on them.
    Yes, and I must agree with your point, but what if they are human-piloted turrets? It would destroy the purpose of using a turret on someone else's ship to shoot. You could still affect the Bobby AI though.