Brightness in Lighting

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Over the past years we've seen the lighting engine change and evolve, and boy has it improved for the better, as our dear friend the Corner block can attest.
    However... Starmade still lacks one fundamental feature... and that is varying brightness of lights, an important aspect that vastly improves environment ambiance, atmosphere, and overall quality of life.

Currently brightness is controlled by the "block light quality" graphics setting... since this is a clientside effect, things may not always have the intended light levels...but not only this...
    It also does NOT allow different things to have varying degrees of brightness. Meaning your spotlight will be just as bright (or dim) as your makeshift bedroom lamp. It's just overall a bad design.

I think lighting should be made universally standard... and have the light levels of some blocks (light blocks, rods, and bars) be controllable...
    Perhaps with a sort of Light Level Controller block, which works similar to the Rail Speed Controller?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    I think lighting should be made universally standard... and have the light levels of some blocks (light blocks, rods, and bars) be controllable...
    Perhaps with a sort of Light Level Controller block, which works similar to the Rail Speed Controller?
    Or even just a three stage setting just for light blocks - on, half power, full power (though if the half power setting is made possible, i'd suppose there would be a way to switch it already with existing logic).
    Only real issue i can see is how much more processor power would it take? - ie is it gonna be one of those things that just doesnt benefit so many client side.

Edit: I'm suggesting light blocks only as a trial kinda thing -but also as they can slab, they tend to be effective for decor.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Oh, new logic. Controlling lighting would be cool. Especially if we can make it flicker. Or if the engine can make it flicker with damage.
    :)

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Agreed, a lighting controller would be very nice!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I suggest that it be handled the same way as other logic "stepping" is done. You slave the light to an activation block (or other logic block). Then you slave other, multiple activation blocks to that controller logic block. Then you adjust the intensity by changing how many of the linked activation blocks are on. Want a light that is 60% as bright as normal? Slave 5 activation blocks to the controlling block, and only activate 3 of them. Want 1/3 brightness? Slave three activation blocks and only activate one. Want flickering? Logic can handle it. Smooth intensity transitions? Logic.

Then you can have a sensor block attached to the light activator and have logic do things when lights reach a certain intensity.

This is bulky, but fits within the game's existing paradigm.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I suggest that it be handled the same way as other logic "stepping" is done. You slave the light to an activation block (or other logic block). Then you slave other, multiple activation blocks to that controller logic block. Then you adjust the intensity by changing how many of the linked activation blocks are on. Want a light that is 60% as bright as normal? Slave 5 activation blocks to the controlling block, and only activate 3 of them. Want 1/3 brightness? Slave three activation blocks and only activate one. Want flickering? Logic can handle it. Smooth intensity transitions? Logic.

Then you can have a sensor block attached to the light activator and have logic do things when lights reach a certain intensity.

This is bulky, but fits within the game's existing paradigm.
    Yes this and well, aye it is bulky but works!