Read by Council Break up Build Operations into Smaller Chunks

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hi. So this is kind of simple. The purpose would be to reduce lag and prevent people from getting kicked off a server when performing a large operation.

Here's the problem. Right now when I try to place a larger section of blocks, maybe a 50x50x50 block, my game freezes for a long time and then I am kicked off the server for timing out. The problem gets a lot worse if I have build axis set. And this is really annoying. I have to log in again, move back to where I was building, and try again with a smaller block. And if that block is still too large.. then I get booted again.. time and time again. Another issue I have is that if I place a lot of blocks and then hit undo quickly, it can take FOREVER to complete. What happens is, still builds the blocks anyhow (slowly) and then removes them (again, slowly). I've had to wait several minutes before when this has happened, unable to work on my ship.

So, what is my suggestion? It's to break up larger build operations into smaller operations. Take the 50x50x50 block with 3 axis set example. Instead of trying to calculate and fill a 50x50x50 block area, across 3 axis, instead it would process 10x10x50 chunks at a time on one axis at a time. It would also display a progress bar of how far the whole operation has gone, with a "stop" button on it. If a player hits the stop button, then blocks that were placed remain, but the rest of the operation stops. The person could then hit the "undo" button if they would like to remove the placed blocks. By breaking up larger operations into small ones, it would prevent a player's computer from having to do ALL of the necessary calculations at once and would help quite a bit in preventing that player from timing out on a server. I believe this would also fix the undo issue. Plus it would allow servers that are conservative to allow larger build operations (such as the ability to place or remove 50x50x50 blocks).

Well, thank you for your time! Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

TBB

Reaction score
    Just a progress bar and stop button in general is a great idea and I think is definitely doable.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    not sure if he (Skooma) even started optimizing this,but I agree (as a heavy copy/paste user) that chunk updating for pasted entities are horribly laggy and potential server killers if you try to paste something large hahah,kinda wierd it doesnt update it like it would update a normal ship chunk,i will poke around with this idea

Reactions: nightrune