Bobby AI Modules, Crew Members, and Wireless Logic Blocks

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hi!

So, I looked around a bit at different crew member suggestions before posting here and didn't see anything quite like my idea, so I'm posting it!

My idea has a few parts, but is quite simple.

First: Allow Bobby AI modules to be connected to a wireless logic block. When connected to another Bobby AI module on a different docked entity, which is connected to the corresponding wireless logic block on that entity, it will mirror the settings. So, if you change the settings on one, it changes on the other. Think "command central" on a ship.

Second: Allow crew members to be assigned to a BobbyAI module, to command a ship or turret. The crew member would simply be activating the Bobby AI module, or deactivating it if taken away from the module. Perhaps their arms could move or something when the turret is active. If they die, the turret AI turns off.

This would allow crew members to be in a "battleroom" of a ship, assigned to their own Bobby AI modules. Each Bobby AI module could be turned on or off via commands to the crew members, while piloting a ship or just near the crew.

Edit: The main reason for this suggestion is that I often have to switch between having AI as "target any" and "target selected". For PVP, I need "target selected" on, but for hunting pirates "target any" works a bit better. And so to switch back and forth, I have to float over to each Bobby AI module on each and every turret. I also have to use the DEL menu to turn the AI on and off, which to me is ok for now, but being able to turn them on and off via activation blocks/inner ship remotes would be a lot cooler.

Extending the idea:

Extra Idea 1: Make Bobby AI modules capable of being turned on and off via logic blocks. So if someone wants to have a crew, they can, or if they just want to turn on and off individual turrets on a purely mechanical ship, they can.

Extra Idea 2: Allow crew members to enter the cockpit of the entity with the corresponding Bobby AI module. This would be to deploy the crew to fighters, which could be undocked, or just not be visible anymore when manning a turret.

Extra Idea 3: When crew members are manning a ship, allow a command to "dock" to a specific location. If there is a Rail Docker on the ship they are in, they will aim it wherever the player told them to shoot the beam. Perhaps the AI will be a little intelligent about it and shoot at the closest unoccupied rail that the player points toward (so the player does not have to be completely exact). Not only would this be useful for having a squad to deploy from a ship and having the ships return to the carrier ship, but it could be used for other things, such as using crew to help attach turrets to ships or stations (which right now is a bit of a pain to do).

Extra Idea 4: This idea supplements Extra Idea 3. Basically, allow a docking rail grouping to have a name. When commanding a crew member in a ship to dock, you can send the command to dock to a specific docking rail by name, selecting it from the options of nearby rails available. This, of course, would require the AI to actually move around till they see the rail, and I realize this may be a bit more complicated to do. Initially, the crew commanded ship could simply auto-dock to the rail.

Thank you for your time and keep rocking! :)

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I had an idea like this floating around under data logic blocks where the wifi logic block would be able to send not just a logic signal but raw information as well. The general idea of it was if you linked the AI modules of 2+ ships and/or also linked them to the ship cores with the wifi blocks you could either send a signal from a player controlled ship or an AI one to tell it things like warp coords, targeted enemy, and even things like what direction to fly in.

In any event you might have gone overboard on a few parts but all around good idea.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I had an idea like this floating around under data logic blocks where the wifi logic block would be able to send not just a logic signal but raw information as well. The general idea of it was if you linked the AI modules of 2+ ships and/or also linked them to the ship cores with the wifi blocks you could either send a signal from a player controlled ship or an AI one to tell it things like warp coords, targeted enemy, and even things like what direction to fly in.

In any event you might have gone overboard on a few parts but all around good idea.
    Hi, thanks for the response. I like your idea of giving commands to AI ships via a wifi block. It's similar to the idea to my idea to give commands to an AI ship to dock to the mothership (extra ideas 3 and 4).

I'm curious, which idea do you think is overboard and why?